Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Found this on CQN. Great wee story:

When Celtic make their trip to the ‘neat little town they call Belfast’ (I’ve been off radar recently, assume it’s still described thus) they will have no reason to believe they are ready for a game of football which could determine the success or failure of the coming season. Instead the players will share a degree of anxiousness.

Cliftonville rank about as low as is possible to get in European competition but they will be better than the Arbroath team which left Glasgow with a draw last season against a Celtic team who were motoring at the time.

We have some concerning history against the Irish. Celtic’s first ever Champions League qualifier was against St Patrick’s Athletic in 1998. The visitors left Celtic Park with a 0-0 draw before Celtic won 0-2 in Ireland. In the 1979-80 European Cup Dundalk gave us a fright. Celtic won the first leg 3-2, at home, but had to endure a nervous second half in Dundalk as the home side searched, in vain as it turned out, for the goal which would allow them to win the tie on away goals.

Anything less than 100% on Wednesday will see Celtic walk a tightrope………

Found this on CQN. Great wee story:

When Celtic make their trip to the neat little town they call Belfast (Ive been off radar recently, assume its still described thus) they will have no reason to believe they are ready for a game of football which could determine the success or failure of the coming season. Instead the players will share a degree of anxiousness.

Cliftonville rank about as low as is possible to get in European competition but they will be better than the Arbroath team which left Glasgow with a draw last season against a Celtic team who were motoring at the time.

We have some concerning history against the Irish. Celtics first ever Champions League qualifier was against St Patricks Athletic in 1998. The visitors left Celtic Park with a 0-0 draw before Celtic won 0-2 in Ireland. In the 1979-80 European Cup Dundalk gave us a fright. Celtic won the first leg 3-2, at home, but had to endure a nervous second half in Dundalk as the home side searched, in vain as it turned out, for the goal which would allow them to win the tie on away goals.

Anything less than 100% on Wednesday will see Celtic walk a tightrope

Thankfully Celtic did the job in Belfast in a convincing manner making the progression to the next stage of qualifying a formality. Cannot help comparing this to last season when we went a goal down at Parkhead early in the 2nd half to Helsinki, and went there for the 2nd leg with a 2-1 lead.

CB, Assuming no huge upsets looks like we will be playing Elfsborg of Sweden in the next qualifying round with the first leg at Parkhead. Hopefully the Bhoys will be well up for this one. Another former club of the great Henrik.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2370098/Celtic-play-Elfsborg-Daugava-Daugavpils-Champions-League-qualifying-round.html

Doomed, I say, doomed from Salty old son!

Mere elves Salty. Don't panic.

By the way, I bought some Magner's at Makro the other day.

Felt obliged since they are on our shirt. Cider is still the worst

drink on the planet. Don't know what I was thinking. Two bottles

left in the fridge. Might use them as vinegar.

And Brentford. We beat them 2-1 in our recent friendly.

Much easier to play and hump teams with real names.

Naughty boys in Brentford.Lennon says it was only too much drink, <deleted>,is that some kind of reason???

Edited by somtampet

Inevitable that Gary Hooper would leave. IMO we got well over the odds for Victor Wanyama we are getting way under the odds for Hooper. An outstanding performer for the Bhoys he will be a huge loss. We wish him well but have to wonder if our goals for are going to show a big drop in the coming season. In the immediate future despite CB,s confidence I would have reservations about getting into the CL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23440616

We're looking good Salty old son. Battered Cliftonville with shots galore. Back four looking strong (Lennon's words) so I'm half full rather than half empty on this one. And look at the figures released recently re how much we gained from the CL last season. A lot to aim for. Mere elves in our way!

And Brentford. We beat them 2-1 in our recent friendly.

Much easier to play and hump teams with real names.

Naughty boys in Brentford.Lennon says it was only too much drink, <deleted>,is that some kind of reason???

Probably glad to get away from the Magner's for a change.

I see the Celtic "fans" were out to win hearts and minds at Brentford with amusing ditties about Lee Rigby, Royalty etc.

Witty, irreverent scamps as always, no doubt their conduct will be described as "craic", bigotry of course being the product of others.

I see the Celtic "fans" were out to win hearts and minds at Brentford with amusing ditties about Lee Rigby, Royalty etc.

Witty, irreverent scamps as always, no doubt their conduct will be described as "craic", bigotry of course being the product of others.

I wouldn't expect they have read the Trilogy .

It is very disheartening to see some of these <deleted> who are following Celtic. I think the club has got to get the finger out and confront these people who are dragging the name of the club in the mud not just warning them. This just days after the disgusting behaviour in the friendly against Brentford.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-warn-green-brigade-over-2089905

CB A big night night coming up. Hopefully the Bhoys will get their act together. All these friendly defeats are not reassuring. With all respect to Cliftonville anything other than a comfortable win would have been a surprise.

Will this guy feature at some stage tonight? He seems to be pacy and was on the fringes of the Dutch national side but he does have a history of injuries. De Boer says he is sorry to lose him and expects him to do well with Celtic. Time will tell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23487965

Edited by salty

A narrow 1-0 win for Celtic against Elfsborg means an anxious night next week for the 2nd leg. Kris Commons got the winning goal in 76 minutes with a close range header from an excellent cross from Izaguirre. It was fitting Commons was on target as he looked the only player who could create something in the final 3rd.

Early on he provided the centre from which Forrest hit the bar. Elfsborg frustrated Celtic fairly comfortably for most of the game . They always seemed to have plenty of bodies to clear any danger. Forster had a quiet night apart from an early shot by Bangura and notably when he may have got a touch to a rocket which hit the Celtic bar. Ambrose was at fault by not dealing with a centre just previously and a few minutes later he had a free header but put it over.

Celtic had worked up a head of steam before the goal but overall they were uninspired. I would say on this evidence to qualify for the CL will give them plenty to do. Fortunately they did not concede so they still have a decent chance of getting through to the final qualifying round.

Happy to see that result. Would be happier if I could see the next game in Sweden on TV though.

Will the new Dutch guy be playing Salty? What's the story with him? I'm up to my eyes at home right

now, so do some legwork and fill me in on our newest signing old buddy.

Hi CB, You are changing nappies and I am paddling in Pattaya. I will be in Bangkok next week for a few days and hope to find somewhere to watch the 2nd leg. Both Wilson and Ambrose frighten me to death and hopefully Celtic will do most of their defending in the Elksborg half as possible. I expect the Dutch guy to start in the opening League match at the weekend and hopefully next week in the 2nd leg. This guy is supposed to be fairly speedy and if he stays fit should be an asset to the side. He refutes this injury prone tag some of the Dutch media are labelling him with.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/celtic-derk-boerrigter-refutes-sicknote-claims-1-3026546

Forgive me for using the Scotsman for a link.rolleyes.gif

It is very disheartening to see some of these <deleted> who are following Celtic. I think the club has got to get the finger out and confront these people who are dragging the name of the club in the mud not just warning them. This just days after the disgusting behaviour in the friendly against Brentford.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-warn-green-brigade-over-2089905

good post,couldnt believe Lennon protected them though

"I will be in Bangkok next week for a few days and hope to find somewhere to watch the 2nd leg."

Salty old son - you find a place in BKK and I will join you for the game as I'm up for a wee night out.

Mrs.CB has to throw me a pass for a night out as I've been good as gold recently.