A Workable Pricing Scheme For Thai-based Ex-pats

wangsuda

There must be over one million words written about two-tiered pricing in Thailand. Some people are adamantly against it, while others are equally adamantly for it. Many comparisons have been made between Thailand and other countries regarding multi-tiered pricing. The issue of citizenship versus residency always come up. And in the end, nothing is settled. I am not looking for Thai (or any other country) bashing. I am not here to define “resident,” “guest,” or “citizen.” What I propose is a solution that works within the current Thai pricing framework.

This solution is simple: the Thai government should pass a law (or regulation) stating that those who are here legally on specific visas (investment, marriage, and working) be allowed to pay the local rate at establishments. It’s that simple. Let’s face it, those here who hold valid investment, marriage, and working visas contribute to Thailand in many ways, through overseas and local money invested into local communities, through (either directly or indirectly) providing employment for Thai nationals, and by taxes paid on income and investments. Now I know that many people will say, “My Thai driver’s license/copy of my work permit/tax ID card always gets me in the door.” But does it? One month I can take my family to the Dusit Zoo and waltz in paying the Thai price (with a simple flash of my tax ID card). The next month I’ll be told to pay the foreign price regardless of the paperwork I provide. I want to end the hit and miss, and make it a hit every time.

With legislation enacted that allows foreign nationals with the proper visa and/or work permit the privilege of paying the local price to enter a national park, an entertainment venue, or travel on the railroad, the quality of life for those who make Thailand home can improve. No longer will we foreign nationals be embarrassed by paying one price for us, one for the spouse, and something in the middle for luk krung children. With a wave of the legislative wand, this problem could end and we (Thai and contributing, long-term legal ex-pats) could have one guaranteed price!

As an aside, pretty much all nations stick it to tourists one way or another. Fine! Let Thailand stick it to the tourists! However, give those of us who legally stay here a break. So what do you think? Is this workable or not?

tanning booths, hair dye, and stretched back eyes for all expats should to the trick. provide your non-immigrant visa at the door and get 10% off the reconstructive facial surgery. for you tall expats there is a procedure which will allow you to take about 8 cm out of your shins to make you shorter. I would only recommend this procedure to people that are planning on staying in permanently.

This along with legislation might make a difference.

There must be over one million words written about two-tiered pricing in Thailand. Some people are adamantly against it, while others are equally adamantly for it. Many comparisons have been made between Thailand and other countries regarding multi-tiered pricing. The issue of citizenship versus residency always come up. And in the end, nothing is settled. I am not looking for Thai (or any other country) bashing. I am not here to define “resident,” “guest,” or “citizen.” What I propose is a solution that works within the current Thai pricing framework.

This solution is simple: the Thai government should pass a law (or regulation) stating that those who are here legally on specific visas (investment, marriage, and working) be allowed to pay the local rate at establishments. It’s that simple. Let’s face it, those here who hold valid investment, marriage, and working visas contribute to Thailand in many ways, through overseas and local money invested into local communities, through (either directly or indirectly) providing employment for Thai nationals, and by taxes paid on income and investments. Now I know that many people will say, “My Thai driver’s license/copy of my work permit/tax ID card always gets me in the door.” But does it? One month I can take my family to the Dusit Zoo and waltz in paying the Thai price (with a simple flash of my tax ID card). The next month I’ll be told to pay the foreign price regardless of the paperwork I provide. I want to end the hit and miss, and make it a hit every time.

With legislation enacted that allows foreign nationals with the proper visa and/or work permit the privilege of paying the local price to enter a national park, an entertainment venue, or travel on the railroad, the quality of life for those who make Thailand home can improve. No longer will we foreign nationals be embarrassed by paying one price for us, one for the spouse, and something in the middle for luk krung children. With a wave of the legislative wand, this problem could end and we (Thai and contributing, long-term legal ex-pats) could have one guaranteed price!

As an aside, pretty much all nations stick it to tourists one way or another. Fine! Let Thailand stick it to the tourists! However, give those of us who legally stay here a break. So what do you think? Is this workable or not?

Looking forward to you pushing through this ammendment.

Nice to hear so many constructive replies! Keep them coming!

Wangsuda: You came up with this initiative, propose a solution and perhaps you get a more positive response from TV members.

I did propose a simple solution. The government and private businesses can keep current pricing schemes in place and charge the tourists all they want. My solution is for the government to give one break to those who legally work, retire, and/or invest here. How hard is it for a government to do? And if you think about it, the impact on the local and national economy will be negligible. After all, the money we save on inflated prices will probably be reinvested back into Thailand.

Because your argument is, in it's root, stupid. As double pricing is.

One price for all. What could be simpler than that?

Not that double pricing bothers me, I am not in parks or sanctuaries several times a day, all year.

Because your argument is, in it's root, stupid.
Tanning booths, hair dye, and stretched back eyes for all expats should to the trick. provide your non-immigrant visa at the door and get 10% off the reconstructive facial surgery. for you tall expats there is a procedure which will allow you to take about 8 cm out of your shins to make you shorter. I would only recommend this procedure to people that are planning on staying in permanently.

This along with legislation might make a difference.

There's nothing stupid or sarcastic about it. Double pricing will always exist here. What I am tring to do is propose a solution that benefits those who legally live, work, and contribute here while allowing Thais to do what they want with the rest. Unlike others, I have not resorted to Thai bashing, I have not passed judgment on the current pricing scheme, and I have not made any smart-arsed comments. If you don't think it will work, tell me why. Be constructive.

I did propose a simple solution. The government and private businesses can keep current pricing schemes in place and charge the tourists all they want. My solution is for the government to give one break to those who legally work, retire, and/or invest here. How hard is it for a government to do? And if you think about it, the impact on the local and national economy will be negligible. After all, the money we save on inflated prices will probably be reinvested back into Thailand.

Agreed, How do you propose TV members move forward with this agenda?

as foreigners we have very little say in the formation of policies. It is easier to joke about it than it is to beat our heads against a brick wall by trying to do something about it. Just take Thailand as it is. Trying to change anything will drive you insane. Just enjoy its benefits and don't get your panties in a bunch over its downfalls. Thailand's benefits far outweigh that of the US so I can tolerate a bit of strangeness and inequality even though it can be a bit frustrating at times.

There must be over one million words written about two-tiered pricing in Thailand. Some people are adamantly against it, while others are equally adamantly for it. Many comparisons have been made between Thailand and other countries regarding multi-tiered pricing. The issue of citizenship versus residency always come up. And in the end, nothing is settled. I am not looking for Thai (or any other country) bashing. I am not here to define "resident," "guest," or "citizen." What I propose is a solution that works within the current Thai pricing framework.

This solution is simple: the Thai government should pass a law (or regulation) stating that those who are here legally on specific visas (investment, marriage, and working) be allowed to pay the local rate at establishments. It's that simple. Let's face it, those here who hold valid investment, marriage, and working visas contribute to Thailand in many ways, through overseas and local money invested into local communities, through (either directly or indirectly) providing employment for Thai nationals, and by taxes paid on income and investments. Now I know that many people will say, "My Thai driver's license/copy of my work permit/tax ID card always gets me in the door." But does it? One month I can take my family to the Dusit Zoo and waltz in paying the Thai price (with a simple flash of my tax ID card). The next month I'll be told to pay the foreign price regardless of the paperwork I provide. I want to end the hit and miss, and make it a hit every time.

And in a nation where the government can't enforce even a simple 'wearing of crash helmet law' how do you propose to make Thais conform :o

And you say 'stick it to the tourists' - as if they would :D

PS which boy-scout pack are you amember of :D

This solution is simple: the Thai government should pass a law (or regulation) stating that those who are here legally on specific visas (investment, marriage, and working) be allowed to pay the local rate at establishments. It’s that simple.

what utter nonsense.

thais ,foreign tourists , visitors and residents (on any visa) should be charged the same price for the same service.

to book a trip to this country on the basis of a friends recommendation or from reading one of the thousands of welcoming invites that form the basis of the advertising campaigns put out by the tourist authorities and then find that you are being charged double or more the going rate for locals is nothing short of insulting..... and to most westerners it smacks of racism too.

work permit holders and marrieds may help the thai economy , but so do tourists. why penalise them.

its bad enough that the market traders , inhumane zookeepers , neanderthal taxi lowlives and the pantomime transvestite show pimps are allowed to get away with it in the major tourist resorts , but when it becomes government policy then its even more insulting.

now you expect foreigners to carry paperwork with them to show to often ignorant and argumentative cashiers , why not just have your visa status and passport number tattood on your forearm , that would be even easier.

Edited by taxexile

I have absolutely no clue. If I did, I would have proposed that too. I was hoping someone else might have an idea.
what utter nonsense.

thais ,foreign tourists , visitors and residents (on any visa) should be charged the same price for the same service.

to book a trip to this country on the basis of a friends recommendation or from reading one of the thousands of welcoming invites that form the basis of the advertising campaigns put out by the tourist authorities and then find that you are being charged double or more the going rate for locals is nothing short of insulting..... and to most westerners it smacks of racism too.

work permit holders and marrieds may help the thai economy , but so do tourists. why penalise them.

its bad enough that the market traders , inhumane zookeepers , neanderthal taxi lowlives and the pantomime transvestite show pimps are allowed to get away with it in the major tourist resorts , but when it becomes government policy then its even more insulting.

now you expect foreigners to carry paperwork with them to show to illiterate and argumentative cashiers , why not just have your visa status and passport number tattood on your forearm , that would be even easier.

I actually agree with you, but I see nothing that tells me Thailand will ever change. I'm trying to propose a compromise.
PS which boy-scout pack are you amember of
The one that is sick and tired of my wife getting the Thai price, me getting the foreign price, and out son paying something in the middle. And this is especially true when we take the train to my wife's home province and the f**king government tells me that I have to pay 400% more than a Thai.

I have absolutely no clue. If I did, I would have proposed that too. I was hoping someone else might have an idea.
what utter nonsense.

now you expect foreigners to carry paperwork with them to show to illiterate and argumentative cashiers , why not just have your visa status and passport number tattood on your forearm , that would be even easier.

I actually agree with you, but I see nothing that tells me Thailand will ever change. I'm trying to propose a compromise.
PS which boy-scout pack are you amember of
The one that is sick and tired of my wife getting the Thai price, me getting the foreign price, and out son paying something in the middle. And this is especially true when we take the train to my wife's home province and the f**king government tells me that I have to pay 400% more than a Thai.

Ah :o I think we all understand your frustration - but you proposals just aint realistic :D

If you don't think it will work, tell me why. Be constructive.

Because:

1. This is Thailand.

2. It is hardly a matter of priority for the Thai government, who are mostly concerned with either rewriting the constitution or defending it or trying to spend more time with their mia nois or trying to understand how their new mobile telephone works or which golf course they will be playing. Giving more privileges to foreigners doesn't even appear as an agenda on their used toilet paper.

3. There is always an xenophobic politician who will kick it out anyway.

4. You are wasting your time, we've all been there, moaned, complained and finally accepted it.

Accept it too. :D:D:D:(:o:D

???????????????????????????????

Daft - 2-Tier pricing shouldn't exist - period.

As for enacting legislation in an effort to impart some sort of legitimacy to it - well, that it would be neigh on impossible a) to enfore and :o to define who it applies to, when, where and how............

Despite the stupidity of "2-Tier" pricing, lets not forget that in catogorisng it as a form of discrimination (which it is, is it not?), we forget the discrimination imposed upon Thai's (and other foreign nationals), who wish to visit Europe - it starts with the hoops & hurdles they have to jump through just to get their foot in the front door (versus the priviledge Westerners have in being able to just turn up here and enter Thailand when it please them without having to account for their socio-economic status)...........

Sounds good! Where do I vote? :o

Are you farang? If so, you don't get a vote! :D

...but your proposals just aint realistic :D

Actually, not original proposals - this 'solution' has been proposed before in other threads on this subject. But if I recall correctly, didn't get quite such harsh ridicule! :D

In economics there is a concept called price discrimination. To maximise your total revenues, you charge different classes of consumers the maximum they are willing to pay - thereby maximising your overall take. No use having one price then excluding potentially 3/4 of potential buyers who would buy, if it was only a little less for them. That is why at the cinema, museum etc there is a price for children, adults, pensioners or those on low incomes (ie benefits).

While not defending the Thai system - it does stink - the current system is a blunt way to undertake price descrimination. My guess is that it is based on a few broad, and increasingly less relevant generalisations:

1) Foreigner (usually tourist) has inelastic demand, and will pay any price (ie...he's come all this way, he's not going to turn back now. Plus, if he has the money to fly here, he has the money to pay the extra). Ignores increasing amound of foreigners living and workng in Thailand, not necessarily rolling in the dosh or with so much disposable 'holiday' income.

2) Thai price - ie, has much lower GDP than the west (at least) therefore the prices should be lower, plus they pay tax here and probably will come back more often - hence the lower cost. Ignores the many rich Thai's who could easily afford the higher price.

So, what should the price be? It should be the marginal cost for visiting a park.

Can Thailand enforce a pricing system like found in the west (ie price for children, adults, pensioners or those on low incomes (ie benefits)). Not entirely. While ID's can differentaite between children and adults, there is nothing really here that can differentiate between low and high imcome earners. And that makes it difficult.

Sounds good! Where do I vote? :o

Are you farang? If so, you don't get a vote! :D

...but your proposals just aint realistic :D

Actually, not original proposals - this 'solution' has been proposed before in other threads on this subject. But if I recall correctly, didn't get quite such harsh ridicule! :D

actually many farang who have acquired thai citizenship get to vote.

i would also say that there are many farang who get to vote by proxy ie: have a not so educated wife/gf and tell her who to vote for.

This solution is simple: the Thai government should pass a law (or regulation) stating that those who are here legally on specific visas (investment, marriage, and working) be allowed to pay the local rate at establishments. It's that simple.

:o:D:D:D:D:(:D

I had a good chuckle too, never going to happen. :P

I think all should bring tax papers with them, Thai and farang.

Then all prices should be calculated by your income divided by the exchange rate for your currency.

Of course the currency must be the average on 6,3 months divided by the inflation in your country.

This sum must then be compared with the average income in neighboring counties of your country.

Have I forgot something?

Oh yes my wife does not pay any taxes. :o

why dont all the wingers pool their money and open up a giant "farang tourist land" with snake shows, croc shows, elephant painting, katoey cabarets etc.... and set their own price points.

here, i'll even help you with a sign:

ราคา

ฝรั่ง ๑๐๐ บาท

คนไทย ๕๐๐ บาท

Thailand should take its lead from the UK where EVERYONE is overcharged. Now that's equality!

Don't you think the Thai government has enough on it's plate right now without proposing an amendment that will help a few rich expats to get cheaper goods and services?

Especialy at a time when basics like petrol and food (rice) are going up and effecting the worse off in society.

Would be political suicide...............................hold on, that's means it's probably all ready on the agenda! :o

Thailand should take its lead from the UK where EVERYONE is overcharged. Now that's equality!

Don't you think the Thai government has enough on it's plate right now without proposing an amendment that will help a few rich expats to get cheaper goods and services?

Especialy at a time when basics like petrol and food (rice) are going up and effecting the worse off in society.

Would be political suicide...............................hold on, that's means it's probably all ready on the agenda! :o

ANY thai law's that dont err on the side of fervent nationalism are usually political hari kari.

Edited by kiakaha