A Blue And Gold Macaw, Murphy

Wife and i are relocating to Thailand in the near future, we have an 8 year old Blue and gold Macaw called murphy, he is a real character, talks and tame, what is the procedure to import this bird into Thailand, as we do not want to sell him as he is part of the family, and he is my youngest daughters best mate, does nip from time to time.

I realise he most likely will have to go into quarantine.

• 3 weeks later...

I imported my blue and gold macaw from UK to Thailand about 6 years ago and it was very simple with no under the table payments required. Things may have changed since then but her is a quick rundown of the process.

Fortunately i was in Thailand to check things out before it was sent ( probably a good idea if you have a friend or family member to help you out)

Went to the old airport where the animal / plant quaratine folks are and my Thai wife asked the procedure and filled in 1 form. There is reps all around the import place who are willing to help with the process at a price?

We then had to have our Macaw checked by a vet in the UK and it has to be within 2 weeks of travel. A suitable cage / box, food and water has to be supplied. We used a dog travel box and it was then boxed with ply wood on the outside with a wire mesh cover at the same side of the dog travel box door.

We were lucky in that there is a company (can't remember the name) that took care of transporting live animals in the UK who took care of the flights / transport from Scotland to London and then from there on Thai Airways to BKK. All up the costs were around 2 hundred pounds.

On arrival in Thailand we were able to see the bird but unable to get it out of customs until later in the day when all paper work was complete. Again plenty of people willing to speed up this process at a cost. My wife completed a few more forms, paid approx 3,000THB and "Jack" was in our hands. We then flew him to Phuket from BKK which is very simple as you only have to pay for the freight weight.

All this was at the old airport and everything within walking distance but i have no idea how things work now at the new airport.

My advice would to come here first and find someone Thia to help you with the import requirements. Find out from your side what is required for export (vets / airlinrs etc) and you should have no problems and be without your bird for the least time possible.

Note ..... keep all paperwork as you may leave Thailand and need to re-export the bird and the importation paperwork is a must.

rgds

Wife and i are relocating to Thailand in the near future, we have an 8 year old Blue and gold Macaw called murphy, he is a real character, talks and tame, what is the procedure to import this bird into Thailand, as we do not want to sell him as he is part of the family, and he is my youngest daughters best mate, does nip from time to time.

I realise he most likely will have to go into quarantine.