4 Scams - Airport

What a ridiculous post.

Ridiculous - and how the f-ck do you work that out? This scam thing with the receipt at duty free has been going on for some time - as far as i am aware. A friend of mine only avoided the nightmare scenario experienced by the lady mentioned in the OP, by being vigalent and knowing the potential of these barstewards. Basically when he purchased some cigarrettes he just happened to notice that the girl whom had served him had retained the receipt. He was fortunatley aware that in a normal situation the shop assisatants are rather keen to make sure you have the receipt. 'It was just something about her attitude that triggered a realization of something untoward' - he later told me.

I also read recently the case of some guy still in a Thai jail through the same thing. His crime - he genuinely had no money to pay the scamsters.

You certainly are and ignorant person - ridiculous :o

I've not heard stories of rampant scams like these but on the duty free example here I can attest that the 6-weeks in jail and expensive lawyer scam is real, and I suspect does occur from time to time when the 'opportunity' arises.

A good friend of my in Samut Prakarn who also runs a very popular Thai travel website relayed the details (week by week) of a long running case in his local provincial court (which now serves the airport cases) about the poor fellow who was being scammed. Apparently he had been done for shoplifting, having absent-mindedly walked out of the shop holding some face cream. King Power insisted on pressing charges and he ended up spending months in the country on bail defending a measly charge. It sounded improbable to me until it materialised that the lawyer they had recommended was deliberately delaying the case to raise more fees, and to help out his friend - a lady who was renting him a homestay room nearby. It seems the guy was naive to their tricks and went along with the whole procedure. From the first hand accounts of the lawyer's behaviour (oh, solly sir they will not accept my cheque, we must go to the bank otherwise case postponed, of course they get to the bank just a few minutes too late on a Friday afternoon), I can believe it!

Some people are more naive than others but most people from Western countries trust the police's ethics and are understandable reluctant to challenge their word.

But if theis sort of thing was happening regularly you can bet that the released and swindled offender would lodge all sorts of complaints and noises on forums after the indignity of missong flights, missing work, having to pay exhorbitant fines when it materialised their embassy could not get involved, etc....

There are scammers at the airport, but just keep smiling and say 'I call tourist police....

I doubt any taxi drivers in Thailand want a suitcase of western clothes; however in Manila the taxi drivers DO drive off with suitcases, a kind of 'lucky dip' so pay outside after collecting luggage.

The cigarette limit thing is just Customs doing their job: No sympathy.

The story about the duty-free is rubbish, unless a case of genuine theft or jiggery-pokery is behind it.

I always lock my suitcases (checked-in) anyway, and I've not had a problem. I think the zipper-style cases are stupid because anything just zipped-up is not secure.

Common sense is all that is needed in all airports of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Just common sense on the taxi. The business transaction is not done until your luggage is unloaded, so why pay first?

Think about it...how many fares do these guys have in a day? And most do not have luggage or anything else. So the common scenario is, pay, get out, taxi drives away.

Paying first, then the fare gets out, it would be very easy for the "automatic response" on the part of the taxi driver to kick in....drive away.

I would suggest that nearly all instances of "driving away with the luggage" are accidental, not the cabbie trying to steal anything.

You are not allowed anymore to lock your bags in the U.S. so when flying from the U.S. to Thailand and you never see your checked luggage until Thailand locking is not possible. The only time I had clothes stolen from my luggage was ten years ago flying from London to San Francisco to my hometown. So there were three airports where it could have happened. I counted at least seven pieces of clothing that were definitely in my luggage when I packed and were gone when I got home. So, it does happen but hasn't happened to me in a long time, although I have heard of a few too many cases happening at Suvarnabhumi.

• 2 weeks later...
Taxi Driver

If you have luggage in the boot - make sure the driver gets out before you do. I saw an elderly couple get out and the taxi drive off. So a couple of old timers spend a holiday here, probably spent half their time and savings on buying things for the family back home - and one bastard ruins it. May he rot in hel_l.

A friend didn't tell me this, but my mum did. She is quite old but healthy. Some time she fly on her own. She once took a taxi to Dom Muang. She got out after paying the taxi, and the taxi speed off. Fortunately her valuable and document was in her handbag. All she loss were just an old suitcase and worthless clothings. It is quite troublesome for her to have to pick up all those personal stuff in a foreign country.

After that, she refuse to take any taxi to and from airport. Also insisted to call someone to send her / pick her up from the airport.

Once bitten twice shy.

You are not allowed anymore to lock your bags in the U.S. so when flying from the U.S. to Thailand and you never see your checked luggage until Thailand locking is not possible. The only time I had clothes stolen from my luggage was ten years ago flying from London to San Francisco to my hometown. So there were three airports where it could have happened. I counted at least seven pieces of clothing that were definitely in my luggage when I packed and were gone when I got home. So, it does happen but hasn't happened to me in a long time, although I have heard of a few too many cases happening at Suvarnabhumi.

All you need is a TSA approved locking device. I have 4 combination lock straps and 4 padlocks. Also one of my suitcases has a TSA lock integrated. Look for this symbol:

locks_safe_skies.jpg

TSA Website regarding approved locks

Then you can lock your stuff up. As far as I know, TSA agents are the only ones with the key to open the locks. The straps I have also let you know when they have been opened by security. Having gone through MNL, TPE, PEN, and BKK, there has been no problems with the international airports outside the US.

From the OP

Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG

:o Watch out for dwarves hiding in the overhead cabins when you stow your luggage

This reminded me of this article about dwarfs being smuggled into coach baggage compartments in sports bags. I read it earlier in the year :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/23/dw...oach_robberies/

I came in to Thailand 2 weeks ago, and when going through customs they asked me to put my bags on the scanner. They went through, but nobody was watching the screen...

And how do you feel about that? Would you like to talk about it? We're listening if you think it will help.

I came in to Thailand 2 weeks ago, and when going through customs they asked me to put my bags on the scanner. They went through, but nobody was watching the screen...

And how do you feel about that? Would you like to talk about it? We're listening if you think it will help.

:D

If that was me, and I actually had a feeling, it might have been hurt ! :D

I went through Swampy 4 times between 29 July and 6 Sept. As per usual, no hassles ! Not even when I bought some ant-acid tablets from the Boots store and they didn't give me a receipt !

I thought for sure I was being set up for a shake down, or at least a cavity search. :D

Imagine my surprise when NOTHING happened. Just as nothing has happened on any of the (sheesh, how many trips now ? 12 in the last 2 years ?). Then again, I haven't been frisked by security (female or male) when going through the screeners either. Maybe I'm just unlucky ? :o

Surely if these scams and shake-downs were so common, we would have heard (far) more stories about it ? Or is it just that when a story does come up, it gets so blown out of proportion, that people make it seem like a regular occurrence ?

(although in this case, it seems to be the stories told by friends who heard it from close friends of people that know someone that spoke to a friend that says their friend had this happen to them. Too bad they forget to mention that these things probably happened during the Hindenburg's last flight) :D

What a ridiculous post.

Ridiculous - and how the f-ck do you work that out? This scam thing with the receipt at duty free has been going on for some time - as far as i am aware. A friend of mine only avoided the nightmare scenario experienced by the lady mentioned in the OP, by being vigalent and knowing the potential of these barstewards. Basically when he purchased some cigarrettes he just happened to notice that the girl whom had served him had retained the receipt. He was fortunatley aware that in a normal situation the shop assisatants are rather keen to make sure you have the receipt. 'It was just something about her attitude that triggered a realization of something untoward' - he later told me.

I also read recently the case of some guy still in a Thai jail through the same thing. His crime - he genuinely had no money to pay the scamsters.

You certainly are and ignorant person - ridiculous :D

So your proof that this is common is that your "friend" was "almost" caught by this scam. And the proof of this is that a sales girl with an attitude didn't give him his receipt. :o

I did get my sleep apnea machine ripped off at suv, I guess they thought it was a computer, anyway to get a new one had it sent from the states, customs held it for 3 weeks and I had to pay 3.5k to get it. sucky.

Taxi Driver

If you have luggage in the boot - make sure the driver gets out before you do. I saw an elderly couple get out and the taxi drive off. So a couple of old timers spend a holiday here, probably spent half their time and savings on buying things for the family back home - and one bastard ruins it. May he rot in hel_l.

Duty Free

This is a long story but worth reading thru - told be a close friend of her friend. I'll try and keep it simple. HK girl buys cosmetics from Duty Free. Uses her card. Walks to gate. gets stopped by police claiming she didn't pay. She's unable to find her receipt. Police agree to let her get on the flight for USD3000. She tells em 'no way'. Insists on going back to shop to verify. Instead they take her for an interview. (a falang is also undergoing a similar experience there). She tells em she'll call HSBC to verify transaction. They claim it is not enough proof. She stands her ground. And then gets put in a cell for 48 hours. Her passport and belongings, including phone, are withdrawn. 48 hours later she's given a list of solicitors and is allowed to call one. Price tag: THB30K for his services. Another THB3K for bail. Passport not returned. No option but to remain in Thailand for an indefinite period. Receives statement from HSBC - lo and behold - value of transaction is lower than the price of the goods that she 'paid' for. No legs to stand on. Solicitor asks for a further THB30K to arrange for her to get the case dropped and passport returned. This whole story lasted 6 weeks. She's currently taking legal action. So, it seems, there's a nice network within the realms of the airport. Am surprised it took em so long to get the system going.

Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG.

Customs

Granted - he was in the wrong. Tried bringing through 6 cartons of cigarettes. And got stumped for a THB25K fine. Did at least manage to salvage a carton! Which he probably went through as soon as he got out of the airport. Furthermore - I now understand that once getting past customs you might encounter a couple of 'customs officers' waiting for you at the other side.

Great adverts for tourism/business.

Any other warnings out there?

• 2 weeks later...
Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG.

" OVERHEAD CABINS " is this some new type of double decker sleeping arrangment ?

:o

Edited by unclesiberia

Yes, I for one totally believe the OP as all of this has happened to me or at least a friend of a friend of mine.

1. Last time I left Thailand, I got out of the taxi first with my bags but when I wasn't looking, the taxi driver took off with my wife. I sort of felt bad as I had forgotten to pay the guy for the ride.

2. A friend of mine went into the duty free store to buy a talking penguin toy for his kid and didn't get a reciept. Well... when he tried to board his flight he was pulled out of line by customs agents and sighted for transporting illegal animals out of country.

3. Another friend told me that the bag he had put in the overhead was switched and he only noticed it when he got home. When he opened his bag, there a dwarf and a talking penguin toy in it. Now that's down right spooky!

4. I heard of this guy who came to Thailand with nothing but cigarrettes in his luggage. 150 cartons in all and when he put them on the conveyor belt, nobody paid attention but when he tried to hail a cab the fake custom guys nabbed him and forced him to smoke every single one in front of them or pay a million baht fine.

One of my sons was a baggage handler at Sea-Tac airport in Seattle for 6 months. He quit about a year ago because he didn't want to get involved with baggage handlers that go through as many unlocked bags as they can between unloading and putting the bags on the carousel. He felt this was 70 to 80% of the handlers that were doing this. Talking to management about it left him with the impression that they were involved, as no action ever happened and he was told not to worry about it. My son also told me that as far as he could see the handlers did not have copies of the keys for TSA approved locks. Locked bags were not opened.

If the TSA opens and inspects your bags, they always put a form inside to let you know. If it's been opened and there's no form, that's a good sign that the bag handlers were in it (at least in the US).

My bag has been opened almost every time I arrive at Sea-Tac on an international flight. I haven't lost anything as it's always full of dirty cloths when I come home. Anything expensive is in my carry on bags.

I know this happens at other airport in the US, as every year or two there's a news article someplace about bag handlers getting busted somewhere in the US. I very much doubt this activity is confined to the US.

In story order

1) first hand story

2) friend of a friend told me

3) friend of a friend told me

4) totally legit shakedown of people smuggling tobacco.

1) first hand story for which the OP uses total supposition as for the results

2) BS

3) BS

4) Not quite so likely and still not first hand

Here is a Taxi driver story with a difference. Completely true as it happened to a very close friend of mine about 4 years ago, and we laugh about it every time he comes to Pattaya on holiday.

He was returning to England after a holiday and was collected from his hotel at 7 pm by a meter taxi arranged by his then girlfriend of about 2 years.

He was on a TG flight that left around midnight from Don Meung as the new airport had yet to open.

The cab turned onto Highway 36, just outside Pattaya and the driver pulled into the Shell petrol station to fill up.

My pal stayed put in the back of the cab, but when the driver went into the shop, my pal decided to take a leak as he had had a couple of beers and didn't want to risk waiting until the service stop on Highway 7.

When he emerged from the toilet the cab had gone without him, but with his luggage and a small travel bag on the rear seat with his ticket and passport.

He called his girlfriend on her mobile but either she had switched it off or there was no signal. Eventually after 45 minutes he managed to make contact with her, and in the meantime the cab was making its way along the 7 with the driver completely oblivious to the fact that his fare was not just sleeping in the back, he just wasn't there!!

Eventually my pals GF made contact with the cab company who in turn called the driver. I can only imagine the look on his face when he was told that he was driving a passenger less cab to the airport!

He did a U turn and nearly an hour later pulled into the petrol station and my pal resumed his journey.

He made the flight by the skin of his teeth, but I am not sure whether he gave the cabbie a tip or not!!

Lock yer Bags

Any other warnings out there?

what is TG?

2 letter airline code. TG = Thai Airways

I travel in and out of Thailand airports 4 or5 times each year, I have more problem in the US airports than LOS. Last time in San fan. I was kept 45 mins, By US customs wanting to know why I want to LOS so often , Who i visited , where I stayed. When i told the I had a condo there I wa sasked for teh address and proof. I told them if was not important for them to know. I was then let go.

"1. [t]he taxi driver took off with my wife."

That sounds like a dating situation straight from the Hard Rock Cafe dance floor.

"2. A friend of mine went into the duty free store to buy a talking penguin toy for his kid and didn't get a reciept...sighted for transporting illegal animals out of country."

You should get CITED for telling bad jokes.

"3. Another friend told me that the bag he had put in the overhead was switched and he only noticed it when he got home. When he opened his bag, there a dwarf and a talking penguin toy in it. Now that's down right spooky!"

REALLY bad jokes.

"4. I heard of this guy who came to Thailand with nothing but cigarrettes in his luggage. 150 cartons in all and when he put them on the conveyor belt, nobody paid attention but when he tried to hail a cab the fake custom guys nabbed him and forced him to smoke every single one in front of them or pay a million baht fine."

They weren't "fake custom guys", they were real policemen. And, once again really terrible jokes.