Taxi Driver Finds $300k Usd

dingdongrb

My wife just told me that she saw on the news where a Pattaya taxi driver found a bag left in his taxi by a recent fare and inside was $300k USD in cash. She said that the news stated that the driver returned the found money to its owner. Is this true? Has anyone heard of this breaking news?

Now I am wondering would all taxi drivers return the money. I'm about to ask my brother in law if he would since he is a taxi driver in BKK. I am also wondering what idiot is carrying around 300k in cash let alone forgetting it in a taxi. Also I wonder if the driver was given a reward.

My wife just told me that she saw on the news where a Pattaya taxi driver found a bag left in his taxi by a recent fare and inside was $300k USD in cash. She said that the news stated that the driver returned the found money to its owner. Is this true? Has anyone heard of this breaking news?

Now I am wondering would all taxi drivers return the money. I'm about to ask my brother in law if he would since he is a taxi driver in BKK. I am also wondering what idiot is carrying around 300k in cash let alone forgetting it in a taxi. Also I wonder if the driver was given a reward.

Your actualy wondering if 'all taxi drivers return money' :o So when it was reported recently that a taxi driver murdered a ferang then you must have been wondering if all taxi drivers kill ferangs :D

Your actualy wondering if 'all taxi drivers return money' :o So when it was reported recently that a taxi driver murdered a ferang then you must have been wondering if all taxi drivers kill ferangs :D

Where in my OP do you even see a mention about "murder"?

Get a grip..... :D

If the story is true I think the driver did the smart thing, quitely likely he thought that carrying such a large sum ofcash is usually the mark of drug dealers and the like rather than the common or garden passenger/ normal business person.

He obviously knew that it is very easy to trace a licenced taxi driver, and also know his life and those of his family would mean nothing if this money was "mafia" money, better risk getting a reward than being the richest man if the graveyard.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

Sometimes it is necessary to carry large amounts of cash. Judges, politicians and BIB don't like to take checks or master card.

Large amounts of cash, yes...but 9 million baht????

I have carried large amounts of cash here, but nothing like that. And I certainly was not leaving it in a taxi.

I smell an urban legend here.

Quick ! Someone close this thread before word gets out about a good news story involving a taxi driver (if it is true). :o

Second thought. Never mind. It'll drop off the index all by itself rather quickly and be forgotten in a day anyways.

(Does seem like a rather large sum though. Anyone see anything in the Thai papers about this ? If true, I imagine his buddies are giving him the ribbing of a lifetime for not just turning north (east) and heading home with the loot).

Try visiting any land office (but mostly Bangkok-Phuket-Chonburi) and you might see glimpses of similar amounts of cash. Some people just don't trust checks (I DO trust cashiers checks, personally), not to mention that a lot of these transactions are between people who are pretty much strangers.

:o

• 3 weeks later...
... carrying such a large sum of cash is usually the mark of drug dealers and the like rather than the common or garden passenger/ normal business person.

He obviously knew that it is very easy to trace a licenced taxi driver, and also know his life and those of his family would mean nothing if this money was "mafia" money, better risk getting a reward than being the richest man if the graveyard.

Roy gsd

Really? I remember driving my ex mother-in-law from Korat to Pimai about 20 years ago to conclude a land purchase. She had 15 million baht in paper bags in the back of the car. She also had her husbands military issue sidearm in her purse.

A lot of legitimate business in LOS is still cash only. Spare us the mafia overtones.

in my world anyway, k = 1024 :D ) ...

You must be in that wacky digital binary world..... You must really enjoy your humorous bytes or smaller bits then.... :o

Yep...binary, octal, and hexadecimal

When I really want a challenge, I try explaining that to the Thai wife :D

You must be in that wacky digital binary world..... You must really enjoy your humorous bytes or smaller bits then.... :o

I hear you there. When I need a challenge I try explaining to my wife why the USA has a noticable Summer and Winter time compared to Thailand. :D

I hear you there. When I need a challenge I try explaining to my wife why the USA has a noticable Summer and Winter time compared to Thailand. :D

Or, why it is not the same time in USA as it is in Thailand :D

Or, why it is not the same time in USA as it is in Thailand :D

Or why Thailand looks so big on a map by itself, but looks soooo small when compared to Canada/USA/etc. :o

Sometimes it is necessary to carry large amounts of cash. Judges, politicians and BIB don't like to take checks or master card.

Large amounts of cash, yes...but 9 million baht????

I have carried large amounts of cash here, but nothing like that. And I certainly was not leaving it in a taxi.

I smell an urban legend here.

Think of all those 'left behind' secret documents in a taxi and you can understand why it is easy to forget 300k :o

There are 30 NEW meter taxis,sedans,and now 30 more NEW 7 seater taxis here or in the process,all drivers have to be licenced at chonburi, and the cars brought through city hall,with taxis licence.

they are all stationed here and work the area,but will also take you to airport [about 1000 baht]or anywhere else you will see them outside villa market and other parts,

they are blue and yellow,and number plates start from no one up.

If you pick a bkk taxis [norm green yellow]to go around here he maybe wont know where to go,locals drivers speak enough english to get by,and i see many thais and farang using them,as i do when i am half pi--ed,,at least they are airconed and you dont get wet.

cat