Who Was The Best?

Ulysses G.

The Beatles as they can be credited with many positives, in connection with the ongoing development of the music industry.

Musically I enjoyed both, but again i was more into the Beatles.

I remember having Beatle wallpaper on my bedroom wall and buying the N.M. express so i could see which countries they were now conquering , along with all the other record breaking information about them.

Then i,d read the rest of the news.

marshbags :o

P.S.

I can still see my younger brother ( much younger ) wearing a plastic brown wig, Beatles style, and singing She Loves You in particular.

Happy times indeed.

What about George. Didn't he write some great songs.

In my opinion, George wrote some good songs, but Lennon and McCartney made them much better and really deserve at least half the credit. If you hear the songs the way that George wrote them, almost every one sounds very simular (like many of his solo efforts) and are mediocre at best, but when the Beatles recorded them, they turned them into the beautiful, unique tunes that they became. George was a fine guitarist, but he was not a great song writer. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I applaud The Beatles for acknowledging the Blues roots of Rock and Roll, but c'mon Paul McCartney can't sell "Good Golly Miss Molly". He's a white bread popster.

How about Get Back, Helter Skelter, I've Got A Feeling, and Back In The USSR? Rockers all! :o

More good ones by Sir Paul:

Eleanor Rigby

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Blackbird

Maybe I'm Amazed

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Yesterday

All great songs, well sung. The Beatles had a lot of "range". It's too bad the ever stayed together longer to see how far they could take it. It was great while it lasted and I like hearingthe tunes still.

I know Asian pre-teens who, like my sons born in 1968 and 1975, become big Beatles fans. Not Stones fans. I suspect this will be true for some kids born in 2058.

The Beatles changed pop music forever. Dylan changed the world.

the mans voice may be shot, he may play more piano than guitar these days, but the never ending tour is still pulling them in.

albums like blonde on blonde, blood on the tracks (where he showed his maturity as a songwriter, and has never been equaled since) and desire, such a range of styles.

songs that are 40 years old and are just as relevant today, if not more so, than when they were first written.

the lyrics to, with god on our side, john brown, masters of war, blowin in the wind, have they ever been bettered?

if you ever get the chance, pick up a copy of unravelled tales, the complete carnegie hall 1963 concert, dylan at his best.

I had one big problem with both Dylan and Hendrix, neither one could sing a note.

I can ignore it with Hendrix and just listen to his guitar, but, other than a couple of songs - despite the wonderful lyrics - I only enjoy cover versions of Dylan tunes :o .

Edited by Ulysses G.

but who wants to hear new songs? :o

I think Sweet Neo Con is a pretty dam_n good song, and I wish the Stones would drop overplayed songs like Angie and Tumblin' Dice from their setlist.

Sweet Neo Con (From A Bigger Bang 2005)

You call yourself a Christian

I think that you're a hypocrite

You say you are a patriot

I think that you're a crock of shit

And listen, I love gasoline

I drink it every day

But it's getting very pricey

And who is going to pay

How come you're so wrong

My sweet neo con.... Yeah

It's liberty for all

'Cause democracy's our style

Unless you are against us

Then it's prison without trial

But one thing that is certain

Life is good at Haliburton

If you're really so astute

You should invest at Brown & Root.... Yeah

How come you're so wrong

My sweet neo con

If you turn out right

I'll eat my hat tonight

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....

It's getting very scary

Yes, I'm frightened out of my wits

There's bombers in my bedroom

Yeah and it's giving me the shits

We must have loads more bases

To protect us from our foes

Who needs these foolish friendships

We're going it alone

How come you're so wrong

My sweet neo con

Where's the money gone

In the Pentagon

Yeah ha ha ha

Yeah, well, well

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Neo con

Let's not forget Brian Wilson.

In the mid-sixties Brian Wilson - on his own - was challenging and competing with two of the most prolific and creative popular song writers the world has ever known - Lennon and McCartney - who like Wilson at the time - were at the height of their creative genius.

The Beatles - the Kings Of The Big Beat Sound - there's a magical quality to a lot of their recorded output which is simply missing from most of the Stones back catalogue.

Let's not forget Brian Wilson.

Apples and oranges to some extent ...

Genius Pop Songwriters ...

Lennon & McCartney (& Harrison)

Brian Wilson

Bob Dylan

Simon & Garfunkel

Genius Rock touring/stage bands ...

The Stones ... #1

Pink Floyd

Springsteen

Super Genius ....

Ludwig Van Beethovan

If your going to compare apples with apples then put the Beatles up against ABBA, great song writing duos, changing the way music was percieved....

The Stones belong to Pink Floyd, Queen et al...

just because they were british doesnt mean you can lump them together I think.

For me, the beatles win hands down over ABBA and Queen rocks!

Oz

Lennon's famous quote taken out of context, The Beatles are bigger than God, (he was inferring they were more popular than Jesus at the time),

You'll hear more Beatle covers in an elevator than the Stones, so, ah, I guess the Beatles win, :o:D

There possibly have never been either band with out the huge infrequence of the great Buddy Holly, some of the freedoms we enjoy today could be put down to this great innovator, read on if your interested in this theory.

Buddy Holly & the Crickets created the structure of the rock-n-roll band as we know it: a four piece ensemble -- 2 guitars, bass, & drums with a charismatic singer out front -- writing & recording their own songs. Moreover, Buddy Holly is credited with being THE major influence on what is certainly one of the most influential phenomenon of the Twentieth Century: Buddy Holly gave birth to The Beatles.

Take a moment to comprehend the magnitude of Buddy Holly's ability to create a dream! Imagine there was no Buddy Holly seeking to create an image and place for himself; this means there were no Beatles. "No Beatles" means the revolution of freedom and expanded consciousness which occurred in the mid-part of the Twentieth Century may not ever have been realized. There are millions of people throughout the world affected by the music of The Beatles who will wholeheartedly concur with such an assertion. Buddy Holly most certainly altered the future of the entire world!

http://www.virtualubbock.com/stoCOBuddy.html

But the Beatles and the Stones returned Buddy's vision of rock-n-roll to its cradle in America. Both bands' first recordings were Buddy Holly songs. Paul McCartney still talks about how he and John would try to imitate Buddy's guitar and vocals. They most certainly incorporated many of Buddy's innovative recording techniques - multiple tracking & layering of sound. Examine the Beatles early music, (pre-Bob Dylan reefer encounter & Rubber Soul); it's all Buddy Holly imitation!:

Defiantly my Rock and Roll hero. Flame away

I have to mention that in the early sixties Liverpools contributions, music wise was outstanding re the various local artists and music at the time.

Each possibly adding a bit of influence to the scenario of the U.K. pop revolution that exploded across the globe.

Now there,s a word that in the title of yet another Beatle song.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

And yet a bigger influence on the $$$ and marketing of R-n-R was David Jones (aka David Bowie). He was the first to place himself/his music on the floor of the public stock (bonds) trading. This was definitely a big step of this modern era for music.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2894/

Trivia ??? - Why did David Bowie change his last name from 'Jones' to 'Bowie'?

Trivia ??? - Why did David Bowie change his last name from 'Jones' to 'Bowie'?

There was already another musician using the stage name David Jones.

Correct answer!

Although I wouldn't suggest that David Jones of 'The Monkees' to be much of a musician. (My opinion)

There possibly have never been either band with out the huge infrequence of the great Buddy Holly, some of the freedoms we enjoy today could be put down to this great innovator, read on if your interested in this theory.

Buddy Holly was fantastic for his time and there is no doubt that the Beatles were influenced by him, but he died and they took rock and roll as far as it would go.

I would say that Abbey Road took rock to its limits as far as major innovations, "From Please, Please Me" to "Here Comes the Sun" and "The End" in less than 10 years! :o

There possibly have never been either band with out the huge infrequence of the great Buddy Holly, ...

True,

But by Lennon and McCartney's own admission, they were greatly influenced by Little Richard and Chuck Barry, who defined the style, :o

Buddy Holly & the Crickets created the structure of the rock-n-roll band as we know it: a four piece ensemble -- 2 guitars, bass, & drums with a charismatic singer out front -- writing & recording their own songs. Moreover, Buddy Holly is credited with being THE major influence on what is certainly one of the most influential phenomenon of the Twentieth Century: Buddy Holly gave birth to The Beatles.

Take a moment to comprehend the magnitude of Buddy Holly's ability to create a dream! Imagine there was no Buddy Holly seeking to create an image and place for himself; this means there were no Beatles. "No Beatles" means the revolution of freedom and expanded consciousness which occurred in the mid-part of the Twentieth Century may not ever have been realized. There are millions of people throughout the world affected by the music of The Beatles who will wholeheartedly concur with such an assertion. Buddy Holly most certainly altered the future of the entire world!

http://www.virtualubbock.com/stoCOBuddy.html

But the Beatles and the Stones returned Buddy's vision of rock-n-roll to its cradle in America. Both bands' first recordings were Buddy Holly songs. Paul McCartney still talks about how he and John would try to imitate Buddy's guitar and vocals. They most certainly incorporated many of Buddy's innovative recording techniques - multiple tracking & layering of sound. Examine the Beatles early music, (pre-Bob Dylan reefer encounter & Rubber Soul); it's all Buddy Holly imitation!:

bartender100 - Buddy Holly was definitely setting the pace - even in the fifties - a great - great loss -

As you mention - much of The Beatles early out-put is HEAVILY influenced by Buddy Holly -

we want stones! 1962 - present!! their satanic majesties request!!!

beatles ok 1962 - 1970 (38 years ago) yesterday!

bob dylan = the greatest all his life

1000 more good musicians, 100 excellent, no need to mention names, it's all a matter of taste (de gustibus non est disputandum) i don't want to miss any of them..........