Homeless Farang On The Hang Dong Rd

buripuk

When I see homeless people they always play on my mind.

In Chiang Mai I regularly see a youngish Thai man, who is very dirty who sits or lies along the Hang Dong Rd opposite Tesco's or there abouts. I find it a bit upseting as he obviously has mental problems and it just makes me think how did he get there, where are his family and can anybody help.

Every now and again I also see a farang along the road with a big beard and he's always asleep. His clothes are falling off him and he's very dirty. Has anybody else seen him and knows his story or anything about him?

When I see homeless people they always play on my mind.

In Chiang Mai I regularly see a youngish Thai man, who is very dirty who sits or lies along the Hang Dong Rd opposite Tesco's or there abouts. I find it a bit upseting as he obviously has mental problems and it just makes me think how did he get there, where are his family and can anybody help.

Every now and again I also see a farang along the road with a big beard and he's always asleep. His clothes are falling off him and he's very dirty. Has anybody else seen him and knows his story or anything about him?

My English is not so good as I would like to say, I would like to talk in general way and from my opinion. This is a kindness feeling of human been and if you have this quality feeling always with you, it will give painful with thier life and mostly will come with emotional feeling that show it in your eyes, feel it under your breast. But some time it will make you more stronger and do not easy to give up anything because you see it how hard of life they have such as homeless, no family, living aboard alone,no money, no food, handicapt and no one can or want to help you,...

I know some history of a farang in Thailand from someone, he live in a small village in country side (in Isaan) he was married with a Thai girl and they have a chid. I don't know what is the reason but she is gone, abandon him and her chid; he has no money for the ticket to go back his country and also no money enough to survive for 2 peoples. He begin to look for any kind of job that can earn some money , then found a job for 90 baht per day for helping to carry cement, blick and hard things in construction. What do you think? How can he pay for ticket to go back (or may be he does not want) if he work 30 days(I was hoping that he could work everyday, at least he can pay for the food for 2 peoples) x 90 baht =2,700 baht per month but many people go out to eat in the restuarant one time is more than his salary.

I was very pity his life and one of the reason is he is a farang that in many Thai idea is mostly they have money more the general Thai people, and can not speak Thai and do not know very good the way to live in Thailand for survive himself and his chid. That is the first time that I here a pity history about farang in Thailand (it was almost 20 years ago) and I do not know any thing more about him.

I know there is some organisation from government in some country, they have soep and bread free for any people who homeless and no food to eat. You are all can do too if you can find people that have the same idea with you. For example: how many farang in Chiang Mai? Do they can give each 1 baht per month? For make some thing to eat like a soep and bread or other to give free to the people who homeless in Chiang Mai but I think in the reality not so much farang homeless in Chiang Mai.

Sorry, that may be I think too far but when talk about this object I always try to think (alone, this is the first time that I join my opinion about homeless people) what is possible way to do with the people who NEED REALY HELP.

take care and keep pleace and kindness in your heart , that is already bring happiness to yourself.

You are a kind and good soul, cmbe.

I wish the world had more of your compassion.

Thank you very much for your thoughts cmbe.

I think the next time I see him I'll try and talk to him, I hope he doesn't go crazy on me. What do you think?

I think the next time I see him I'll try and talk to him, I hope he doesn't go crazy on me. What do you think?

That homeless farang is no farang or ain't poor....

How else does he get his visa?

If he was really a poor farang police would arrest him already!

The very fact he is poor would preclude the police from wanting to waste their time on him. What's their upside?

Anyway, where does this guy hang out? I'll bring some sai uua and sticky rice by.

How do you know he is not a farang or not poor?

How do you know he has a visa?

How do you know what the police would do?

Do you have any facts or are you just wasting time with your unfounded speculations?

Edited by Bill97

Whoever the bearded fellow is, he gets around. We saw him walking southbound Sunday afternoon on highway 108 between Chom Thong and Hot. I've never known homeless and starving souls to wander very far from their food source. This guy's a mystery to me

There are dozens of homeless Thai people living in the Chiang Mai area - maybe more. I see them all the time. I have also seen a homeless farang near the Tha Phae Gate. He has long grey hair and a beard and is very dirty. He talks to himself. I suspect he is mentally ill. I have seen another homeless farang a couple of times sleeping on the street - passed out drunk - once near the the North Gate Jazz Club and another time I saw him near Wat Phra Singh. He has long black hair and wears an old cowboy hat. It's really very sad. I wonder what happens in their lives for them to end up like that in a foreign country.

Do you have any facts or are you just wasting time with your unfounded speculations?

As you must know the thai only like farangs with money in Thailand.

Either you must have 800000B on your bank account or a good monthly income or you will not get a visa. (year visa). Or do the vsia runs but they also cost you money.

You must know that i gues.

So no money no visa. No money the thai police must have noticed him and will be happy to put him in a special deportation center in bangkok(what they have done already with many farang without money/visa.).

A couple of months ago there was a story about a confused dutchman walking along the Ping river, he did not have a valit passport on him, had no money anymore, spent more then a month in a special cel on the airport in Bangkok till his family paid for his ticket.

Either you must have 800000B on your bank account or a good monthly income or you will not get a visa. (year visa). Or do the vsia runs but they also cost you money.

So no money no visa. No money the thai police must have noticed him and will be happy to put him in a special deportation center in bangkok(what they have done already with many farang without money/visa.).

A couple of months ago there was a story about a confused dutchman walking along the Ping river, he did not have a valit passport on him, had no money anymore, spent more then a month in a special cel on the airport in Bangkok till his family paid for his ticket.

So you really do not know any facts about the man. You are just speculating and doing so based on some "ideas" which are clearly incorrect.

He is a farang as he's white. It's not too much of an educated guess to say he's poor as his clothes are just dirty rags. I went past him sleeping the other day and his shirt was barely held together. So I don't think I'm putting my neck out to say that actually yes he is a poor farang.

He might sleep on the side of the road for half a day or something in which time he is easily visible by police so if they wanted to arrest him I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

cmbe,

Very nicely said. I used to be compassionate like you and always wanted to help my fellow man and easily forgave their transgressions. I actually used to volunteer at a children's hospital teaching English and Math and took pride in doing some good in the world. I also used to always give homeless the benefit of the doubt and would hand out enough for a few meals. However this year has been one of the worst of my life and I have just about lost my faith in humanity and have lost most of my former compassionate self. Now I always look for the bad and don't give People a chance. I don't trust them and am interested in protecting myself from the idiocy of others. The less contact and less they know the better. I hope I can regain the Optimism I once had and see things the way you do again some day. I might be a bitter man now but I can still recognize good in others.

Edited by wasabi

I am very sorry for any homeless people. I have been homeless in my life in US and nearly was here. I am native American, here they call india daeng, and many of my people are very poor, and in my younger days I was homeless in NY and California. But eventually I got good job and now am retired. I came here and while I was here all the money in my account stolen from me by my exwife. My own fault for being stupid. I had girlfriend here, and despite what people say about Thai women she did not leave me when I had no money. She didnt have a job but her friends gave us food and I lived with her family free in Nakhon Sawan. They fed and sheltered me for a month until I was able to get money again and repay them. If not for this woman I would have been homeless and unable to pay for plane or visa. I can see how a farang here could easily become homeless.

As far as no visa, I know one farang here who has been here a long time and is homeless. He survives because some people like him and feed him and he helps around farm and basically works for food and shelter. Sometimes I have seen him huntiong for frogs which he eats and I have also. I think the man in forum hwere was right who said if farang has no money, and is not creating trouble, police will ignore him. If they pick him up they will just have to do paperwork,feed him and house him.,and they will not want to bother.

There are dozens of homeless Thai people living in the Chiang Mai area - maybe more. I see them all the time. I have also seen a homeless farang near the Tha Phae Gate. He has long grey hair and a beard and is very dirty. He talks to himself. I suspect he is mentally ill.

He's not really homeless, it's Ulysses G; sometimes he slips the leg iron that his staff chain him to his desk with.

He then goes out begging for food as he's supposed to be dieting.

:o

Well, Kalbo old boy, either you are speaking only of some Thai officialdom and most bar girls ("the Thai only like farangs with money") OR the milk of human kindness has truly curdled in your veins!

I could fill this thread with acts of kindness that Thais (especially poorer Thais and some hilltribe people) have shown to farangs in difficulties over the decades. I won't bore you, but must defend the vast majority of ordinary folk among our hosts here.

Many long term residents will know of a few "poor" farang who live here who would never qualify for the normal visa requirements. They are also well known to the police and immigration authorities who turn a blind eye to their presence here as long as nobody rocks the boat.

In the interests of ensuring the boat is not rocked any further, I am closing this thread. Suffice it to say you should help where your consience and wallet makes it possible. Whatever the case, you should never denigrate a poor soul who is down on his luck. You don't know his story and could be in the same position yourself one day. Help where you can, you can only feel good for doing so.

Topic closed