H.m. The Queens Birthday Speech

marshbags

Save the Forest, South : HM the Queen

By Daily Xpress

Published on August 12, 2008

Her Majesty's pleas for reforestation, a clean Chao Phya and peace in the South delivered on eve of her birthday

Her Majesty the Queen has highlighted the importance of forests and expressed concern about continued unrest in the deep South.

Each year on the eve of her birthday the Queen delivers a speech that touches on issues of national concern and includes sage advice.

On the eve of her 76th birthday she addressed the country from the Dusidalai Hall, Chitralada Villa, Dusit Palace. It was attended by PM Minister Samak Sundaravej, his Cabinet and representatives of the people.

After thanking the nation for their best wishes, she turned to the pressing issue of dwindling forests. The Queen says forests help to store groundwater that gives life to watercourses, big and small.

"A forest is a water source," Her Majesty says. "Think about fresh water - we can't do without it.

"Our industries, our lives, need water," the Queen says.

She notes many experts predict the world will suffer a serious shortage of water within the next 15 years.

As well as encouraging renewed forest protection, Her Majesty pleads for reforestation efforts.

Her environmental concerns extend to the Chao Phya River and mangroves, too.

"The Chao Phya River used to be abundant," Her Majesty recalls.

She hopes to see the river clean enough again to be a vibrant habitat for water life. Factories and farms must cease discharging effluent into the Chao Phya.

"Mangrove forests are important. Don't destroy them," she adds.

Her Majesty's concern for the deep South was another significant part of her address.

"This problem has been going on for four or five years now. The situation is seriously worrying," Her Majesty says.

She laments the deaths of citizens killed in market bombs and plantation attacks. "I don't know why this problem has erupted. Peace used to prosper there," Her Majesty says.

She praises selfless police officers like Captains Thoranit Srisook and Krittikul Boonlue. Both volunteered to work in the southernmost provinces to help local people.

Both were killed in the line of duty.

Her Majesty urges all people to support officials, police and soldiers serving in the troubled region.

"Send them your support. It can be in the form of a letter or any item," she says.

State-school teachers are targets of attack there, too, she says. Her Majesty plans to provide protection to teachers.

Her Majesty supports demonstration farms at local villages where people can get food and basics, without having to travel to distant and often dangerous fresh markets, frequently the targets of attacks.

"I want to prevent these deaths," Her Majesty says.

Unquote

The idea of demonstration farms whereby local farmers can sell their own grown produce seems to me to be a very good idea, it is very successful in the U.K. and is no detriment to the retailers, while benefitting the public at local level.

If only it can be free of selfish, greedy, manipulation by individuals.

Respectfully

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Bangkok Post, General news, Saturday August 16, 2008

EDITORIAL

Ignorance is no longer bliss

In her 75th birthday address last year, Her Majesty the Queen implored that action be taken to preserve what remains of the nation's environment and cited examples of obvious neglect. It came as little surprise when she returned to the theme on her 76th birthday this week, because there has been a distinct lack of any substantive progress or sustained initiative. The richness of our natural beauty and resources continues to be squandered.

Short-term knee-jerk responses, fine-sounding but unfulfilled promises and vague, ill-defined projects are no substitute. Even these have been in short supply as recent governments wallowed in apathy. They went to great lengths to get enough power to be able to make a difference and then failed to do so.

But there is still reason for hope and this year it came in the encouraging response from the general public. Many Thais from all walks of life were sufficiently inspired to use the public holiday set aside for celebrating Her Majesty's birthday to benefit the environment. They planted trees in Nakhon Ratchasima, cleared water hyacinth from Chiang Rai Lake and opted for plants over jasmine garlands to commemorate the accompanying Mother's Day.

One part of Her Majesty's speech demanding careful reflection is her warning of the danger of a scarcity of freshwater resources a couple of decades from now. It is easy to underestimate such a threat in a rainy week in which the Mekong River rose to its highest level since 1966, but the risk of disruption to vital water supplies is nonetheless a valid one.

We have long known of the threat posed to the capital by excessive reliance on artesian well water. Now comes a warning from the chairman of the National Disaster Warning Centre, Smith Dharmasarojana, that Bangkok faces a two-pronged attack.

Unquote

For the full article please go to, Ref. url :-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/160808_News/16Aug2008_news16.php

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Not many takers on this ' thin ice ' topic. Not surprising really. A very nice speech. A very very nice speach. Roses and puppy dogs all around. Nonetheless, I have often wondered why the royal family can't use these occasions to go the extra mile and speak out against some of the more serious problems facing the country. Actually , I don't wonder that much as I think I know the answer. I'm just surprised more of the locals don't.

Not many takers on this ' thin ice ' topic. Not surprising really. A very nice speech. A very very nice speach. Roses and puppy dogs all around. Nonetheless, I have often wondered why the royal family can't use these occasions to go the extra mile and speak out against some of the more serious problems facing the country. Actually , I don't wonder that much as I think I know the answer. I'm just surprised more of the locals don't.

The last birthday speeches of HM the King very clear and easy to understand. All the Thai people (well of course not all) told about how much they love the King and did everything the opposite way.