Passport Validity For 3 Month B Visa

Hello, i have been offered a job and im going to get a 3 month single entry b visa from penang, this will allow my employer to get me a work permit. Im worried as i only have 11 months left on my passport, and to dont want to get to penang tomorrow after 1 12 hour bus ride and be turned away.

Does anyone know how long i need left on my passport please?

Are you sure that such a visa will be issued in Penang? Most places in the local area have been requiring a work permit application receipt prior to visa issue for some time (but do believe there was a recent report of getting without so perhaps easier now?). Normal procedure has been to apply for work permit on visa exempt of tourist visa entry and when receipt issued go to obtain the single entry visa.

In any case your passport validity should not be a problem for a single entry visa issue.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes im sure i can get this visa there, i know someone that just got one a few weeks ago i have the application and all the papers ready to give from my company.

cheers!

As Lopburi said, please make sure that you have your WP3 application receipt from Labour, this is a slip of paper you are given when you/your company files a work permit application.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes im sure i can get this visa there, i know someone that just got one a few weeks ago i have the application and all the papers ready to give from my company.

cheers!

without WP3 no visa will be given, is it so hard to get the papers required for the visa?

they are all listed on www.mfa.go.th BUT some consulate do require more papers, hopefully it's not the case of penang for the visa you're targetting.

as far as i know, as long as your passport doesn't expire within 6 months you are good.

Penang is no exception: If you want to get a non immigrant B visa in the SE Asia region, particularly in countries that border Thailand you will be well advised to provide the following paperwork (the 'Letter of Approval' is the receipt that you get when you apply for a work permit using Form WP3):

Non-Immigrant Visa Category "B" (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business.

(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.

- Completed visa application form.

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant's prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at

www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).

- Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:

1) business registration and business license

2) list of shareholders

3) company profile

4) details of business operation

5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions

6) map indicating location of the company

7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)

8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).

N.B.

- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.

- It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence.;

Edited by digitalchromakey

• 4 weeks later...

My English b/f got a 3 month B visa (same as mine above - passport was fine, thanks), now has to get another from Penang - which should then be extended for 12 months if possible.

For the 3 month visa, he has been given the same company paperwork as before & a copy of previous 3 month wp, but no work permit application receipt. Do you need one the 2nd time? And should he take original wp also?

Thanks

My English b/f got a 3 month B visa (same as mine above - passport was fine, thanks), now has to get another from Penang - which should then be extended for 12 months if possible.

For the 3 month visa, he has been given the same company paperwork as before & a copy of previous 3 month wp, but no work permit application receipt. Do you need one the 2nd time? And should he take original wp also?

Thanks

What do you mean by 'should be extended by 12 months if possible' in regard to a three month non B visa?

Permission to Stay on the basis of business can only be extended at a Thai immigration dept under National Police Order 606/2549; this is almost impossible to get if you are working for a new or small company.