Secondhand Markets

Bangyai

Does anyone know of any good secondhand markets in Bangkok. There used to be one on the weekends on the bit of wasteground at the junction of Lard Prow and Ratchadapisek. It was a non touristy thing mostly selling motorcycle and car parts but other stuff was in abundance too .It was held in the evenings and made a good starting point for a night out . Is it still going or has the site been developed ? For a daytime flea market try the top floor of Paintip Plaza 2 opposite the Mall on Ngam Wong Wahn. You can find almost anything here with a bit of digging.

Well....I'd settle for knowing if the Ratchadapisek / Lart Prow night market was still running as I was planning a trip there this Saturday evening and didn't want a wasted drive.......assuming somebody out there knows what I'm going on about ?

Bangyai,

i know exactly the market you are on about, the one in huay kwang, lat praw and ratchadapisek intersection.

as far as i know its still there, at least it was a few weeks ago.

i usually go every 6 weeks or so for a good root round, the products are almost being given away, an excellent market.

talking about that area, seeing as you know it, whatever happened to the pub by the name of the winston churchill that was there a few years ago, still there or not?

Guest Reimar
Bangyai,

i know exactly the market you are on about, the one in huay kwang, lat praw and ratchadapisek intersection.

as far as i know its still there, at least it was a few weeks ago.

i usually go every 6 weeks or so for a good root round, the products are almost being given away, an excellent market.

talking about that area, seeing as you know it, whatever happened to the pub by the name of the winston churchill that was there a few years ago, still there or not?

It's the good old Weekend Market! But in China Town it's different but interesting as well.

Cheers.

Does anyone know of any good secondhand markets in Bangkok. There used to be one on the weekends on the bit of wasteground at the junction of Lard Prow and Ratchadapisek. It was a non touristy thing mostly selling motorcycle and car parts but other stuff was in abundance too .It was held in the evenings and made a good starting point for a night out . Is it still going or has the site been developed ? For a daytime flea market try the top floor of Paintip Plaza 2 opposite the Mall on Ngam Wong Wahn. You can find almost anything here with a bit of digging.

I found the flea market at Pantip 2 by complete accident about two weeks ago. It's definately worth a visit.

Since I go to Khlong Thom (around china town) almost every week, I can say that its not much chop for a flea market anymore on the Sat night. Police for some reason have been moving on the amateurs from the surrounds, meaning a smaller 'commercial market'. The few private vendors that are left are the 'pros' trying to flog overpriced antiques??. I hope this thread yields some more, I love true junk/flea markets. I have not bothered to go to Khlong Thom on the Sunday, is it a different situation perhaps?

Will check out some of the list here, Pantip 2 is a long way for me though....always the way!!

Oz

there is a huge weekend market, with a lot of 2nd stuff as well, about 30km outside bkk westwards. exit bkk over pinklao, and follow the 338 otherwise known as "the pinklao-nakhon-chaisri road". The market is between phutthamonthon sai 3 and 4.

You can also reach it from petchasem road, but that road is sooo jammed,

Anyway, over the pinklao bridge, do not go on elevated highway, or you end up doing u-turns at the end. follow road (follow nakhon pathom signs). take exit "phutthamonthon sai 3". About 1.5km further turn left into Sai 3.

It is a couple kilometers up this road that a sign in thai appears were you have to turn right. It probably says "sarn-luang song" as that is the markets name. I do not know for sure.

The entrance of the market is next to the river. It is a day long walk to see everything...

It's a chatuchak kind of market without the falang-faces.... (except me ;-))

Thanks Reimer and others for the posts. I have tried the Klong Thom market several times but as ozsamurai says, its not much go as a flea market anymore, certainly not cheap anyway. O.k. if you're in the area though but not worth a lot of traveling for. I'm glad rgs2001uk knows the market I'm refering to, not to be confused with the weekend market at Chatuchak. I'll nip down there this weekend now that I know its still running. Finaly, trackers suggestion seems interesting and as I'm on that side of town anyway, I'll check it out. Cheers.

While we're on the subject of secondhand stuff its strange how the Thais see it all as a bit degrading.....nah dtaik (loss of face ) sort of thing, only for the kon jon. When I took my gf to England and dragged her screaming around several car boot sales she was less than enthusiastic at first. But once she had made her first few purchases for a mere pitance she got into the swing of it. Her final opinion was that it was a good way to recycle stuff but would never take off in Thailand. True enough.

Thanks Reimer and others for the posts. I have tried the Klong Thom market several times but as ozsamurai says, its not much go as a flea market anymore, certainly not cheap anyway. O.k. if you're in the area though but not worth a lot of traveling for. I'm glad rgs2001uk knows the market I'm refering to, not to be confused with the weekend market at Chatuchak. I'll nip down there this weekend now that I know its still running. Finaly, trackers suggestion seems interesting and as I'm on that side of town anyway, I'll check it out. Cheers.

While we're on the subject of secondhand stuff its strange how the Thais see it all as a bit degrading.....nah dtaik (loss of face ) sort of thing, only for the kon jon. When I took my gf to England and dragged her screaming around several car boot sales she was less than enthusiastic at first. But once she had made her first few purchases for a mere pitance she got into the swing of it. Her final opinion was that it was a good way to recycle stuff but would never take off in Thailand. True enough.

I think your girlfriend's wrong. The secondhand stalls on the local talad sots here are always very busy.

bangyai, they dont understand, these sort of markets are the first place my wife wants to go to in the uk, in fact she is no longer interested in visiting shops such as m&s or john lewis, another favourite is factory outlet stores, mainly shoes, she couldnt believe how cheap quality shoes such as clarks and hush puppies were in the uk compared to thailand.

as for your final comment, there is a market in bang kapi that sells second hand clothes (house clearances from dead people, how morbid) it does a roaring trade, very popular with the university students in the ramkamheng area.

bangyai, they dont understand, these sort of markets are the first place my wife wants to go to in the uk, in fact she is no longer interested in visiting shops such as m&s or john lewis, another favourite is factory outlet stores, mainly shoes, she couldnt believe how cheap quality shoes such as clarks and hush puppies were in the uk compared to thailand.

as for your final comment, there is a market in bang kapi that sells second hand clothes (house clearances from dead people, how morbid) it does a roaring trade, very popular with the university students in the ramkamheng area.

I know what you mean. My Thai Ex was car boot crazy. Used to deck herself out in designer label clothes for a few quid. I'll bet your wife likes charity shops too then. I must have covered hundreds of miles taking the Ex around London checking out charity shops. I wasn't complaining , think how much it would have cost using high street shops !

As for the Ramkamheng suggestion. A bit far for me plus its not clothes I'm after...but thanks for the tip anyway.

Can I get a little clarification on Panthip 2 please.

Where? Its across the road from Panthip Plaza and fashion mall, on the top floor of what building? I can only see fashion stalls over there, did I miss something?

What? It is a junk/flea secondhand market not a commercial one right?

Oz

Really depends on what you are looking for. Around Worachak - behind Rongpayaban Klang (Central Hospital) I found used golf clubs (around 100 to 200 baht each) that only needed a new grip. There are electric equipment which would blow your mind away if you are fond of doing home remodeling yourself. This place is unbelievable. Located along Mahajak lane (really crowded with stalls spilling on the road) between Charoen Krung and Luang Road.

Can I get a little clarification on Panthip 2 please.

Where? Its across the road from Panthip Plaza and fashion mall, on the top floor of what building? I can only see fashion stalls over there, did I miss something?

What? It is a junk/flea secondhand market not a commercial one right?

Oz

O.K Oz....you need to go INTO Paintip Plaza 2 on Ngam Wong Wahn Road. It is about 150 metres past The Mall on the opposite side of the road to The Mall. Once inside the store you go to the very top floor for the market. Personaly, its my favourite Bangkok shopping experience. The atmosphere is very laid back and non pushy. In the market itself you can find all sorts of stuff...secondhand clothes , car radios, old LP's and cassettes, antiques, haberdashers, musical instruments etc. Its also a good place for a cheap coffee or a cheap massage. Your gf can get her nails done and her fortune told and on the way out pick up some old toys for someone elses kids. Paintip Plaza 2 itself sells all sorts of computer gear as well as antique amulets. The food court is pretty good too with a small beer garden and Karaoke stage where middle aged crooners come to woo each other at lunchtime.

Well....I'd settle for knowing if the Ratchadapisek / Lart Prow night market was still running as I was planning a trip there this Saturday evening and didn't want a wasted drive.......assuming somebody out there knows what I'm going on about ?

this market is running on Saturday nights... but it's a little smaller when it rains... :o come on clean afternoon/night...

• 3 months later...
there is a huge weekend market, with a lot of 2nd stuff as well, about 30km outside bkk westwards. exit bkk over pinklao, and follow the 338 otherwise known as "the pinklao-nakhon-chaisri road". The market is between phutthamonthon sai 3 and 4.

You can also reach it from petchasem road, but that road is sooo jammed,

Anyway, over the pinklao bridge, do not go on elevated highway, or you end up doing u-turns at the end. follow road (follow nakhon pathom signs). take exit "phutthamonthon sai 3". About 1.5km further turn left into Sai 3.

It is a couple kilometers up this road that a sign in thai appears were you have to turn right. It probably says "sarn-luang song" as that is the markets name. I do not know for sure.

The entrance of the market is next to the river. It is a day long walk to see everything...

It's a chatuchak kind of market without the falang-faces.... (except me ;-))

Thanks for the tip tracker. 3 months later and we finaly gave it a look. As you say, a very big market similar to Chatuchak. Lots more secondhand stuff though and fewer eateries. Its actually called ' Thonburi Market ' and you can find it in the A-Z atlas of Bangkok on map no A32 grid 2H. Its built next to the Thawiwatthana canal ( not river ) near Wat Sala Daeng. From the Pinklao Bridge I would say do go up onto the elevated expressway and stay on it until it ends just over the route 9 city byepass. Then get onto the frontage road asap. Then its about 4k down Phuttamonthon Soi 3 and turn right at the traffic lights where there is a police box. Alternatively, drive past Phuttamonthon Soi 3 ( still on the 338 ) for about 3k then turn left down Thanon Liap Khlong Thawiwatthana and continue for 5-6 k and you will see the market on the right.

There is a nice park next to the market too. Parking is the usual nightmare. Triple parked, bumper to bumper. We got there at 2 p.m. on a Sunday and it was still busy although at least two thirds of the rental units were locked up unlet. Despite that, there was still plenty to see.

One disgusting thing that I learned recently is that the 2nd hand clothes market [where you can buy name brand down jackets and lether jackets for a couple hundred THB] are mostly smuggled in from Cambodia, donated from richer nations but end up on black market sold by the kilo to vendors and marked up 10X.

One disgusting thing that I learned recently is that the 2nd hand clothes market [where you can buy name brand down jackets and lether jackets for a couple hundred THB] are mostly smuggled in from Cambodia, donated from richer nations but end up on black market sold by the kilo to vendors and marked up 10X.

What's disgusting about that ?

In Oxfam shops in UK they don't give the goods away, yet it's donated free.

You think the Directors of Oxfam give their time for free, or do you think they get a very large salary all from donations ?

Answers on a postcard please..................

You don't mind that people donate these clothes for poor people, but they are hijacked to be sold for a profit instead? :o

Like nobody in the western world of charity ever makes any money out of it..LOL.

It's the poor that are doing the hijacking and it's the poor that are selling the clothes, and the poor that are buying them, the poor get the benefits. :D

The only reason that you don't do something like that is cos you don't have to, you buy a book for 40 baht and sell it to another Farang for 180 baht. :D

Edited by Maigo6

The only reason that you don't do something like that is cos you don't have to, you buy a book for 40 baht and sell it to another Farang for 180 baht. :D

Once in a while, but you conveniently forget the thousands of books that I buy that will never sell at all. I can assure you that I earn every cent that I make. :o

I found the flea market at Pantip 2 by complete accident about two weeks ago. It's definately worth a visit.

Hi could i please get a more info on the pantip 2 market, district? near where?

It is in Pantip Plaza in Nontaburi on the 6th floor

Not the Pantip Plaza in Bangkok

You can hop the river taxi to the Nontaburi Station and take a bus from there or a direct bus from Victory Monument

Pantip Nam Wong Wan

It is in Pantip Plaza in Nontaburi on the 6th floor

Not the Pantip Plaza in Bangkok

You can hop the river taxi to the Nontaburi Station and take a bus from there or a direct bus from Victory Monument

Pantip Nam Wong Wan

many thanks

If you drive Pantip 2 is easy to find from the expressway, head towards chang wattana and then take the second nam wong wan exit, as you come off the road bends right and the entrance for the car park is just past the first soi on the left

Downstairs on pantip plaza 2 there is a shop from Thai Garment factory who sell overstocks; I bought a winter jacket for 1500 baht who will cost about 15000 baht in my country. It was first class quality.

The top floor never stops to amazing me, I saw a whole mountain of second hands shoes. Some of them really warn out completely.

I think your girlfriend's wrong. The secondhand stalls on the local talad sots here are always very busy.

hahahaha! My wife did the exact same thing. Can't keep her away, now! She's still mystified by the idea of shopping around for prices at all... In Thailand things are just about always the same price... Here you can save 80% sometimes by shopping around. She still doesn't have her head around the idea.