What's Up Today

basjke

I see in the supermarkets today that they all have booths with cooked chicken and duck on display as well as big chunks of I guess cooked pork meat.Also some pastries with a chinese sign on it.Anyone know what the reason is for this.

BTW - don't try those chinese pastries, they're sickly sweet and take all the moisture from your mouth before setting like concrete on your pallet.

I have no intention of trying the stuff but just like to know what's the ocassion.When i see in several supermarket cooked whole chickens all over the place and decorations with chinese signs around the booths then there must be up something.And I know chinese new year has passed already.

Edited by MiG16
Quote from removed comment deleted: MiG16

Just asked the missus and she says that tommorow the Chinese Gods will come down and gobble it all up...

EDIT: now shes saying that the doors of heaven are open for dead ancestors to come and have a feed.

Mai khao jai...

Edited by Buzby

Just asked the missus and she says that tommorow the Chinese Gods will come down and gobble it all up...

EDIT: now shes saying that the doors of heaven are open for dead ancestors to come and have a feed.

Mai khao jai...

Thanks buzby,seams to be a reasonably explanation to me.

I see in the supermarkets today that they all have booths with cooked chicken and duck on display as well as big chunks of I guess cooked pork meat.Also some pastries with a chinese sign on it.Anyone know what the reason is for this.

Hungry Ghost Festival - August 14, 2008

Even ghosts deserve time off. According to Chinese legend, every year ghosts are allowed to leave hel_l and return to earth for one month. Learn more in this feature by Greg Cruey, About's Guide to Asia for Visitors. (Date: fifteen day of the seventh Chinese lunar month).

Make sure to feed them.

rgds

Hungry Ghost Festival - August 14, 2008

Even ghosts deserve time off. According to Chinese legend, every year ghosts are allowed to leave hel_l and return to earth for one month. Learn more in this feature by Greg Cruey, About's Guide to Asia for Visitors. (Date: fifteen day of the seventh Chinese lunar month).

Make sure to feed them.

rgds

Thanks Somtham.All I needed to know ,question answered I think.

Ive had to remove a couple of off topic remarks, and hence have also removed replies to the initial off topic comments.

Im going to ask you all to play nicely. The OP was a question about a specific event, it is not intended to elicit your opinion, so if you dont have the answer to the question, do not reply.

Any more attempt at trolling replies and warnings will be issued.

happy weekend :o

MiG