Legality Of Lane Splitting & Wearing Sunglasses While Riding?

submaniac

Ok, I just wanted to double check the legality of two things in LOS. The first is lane splitting (riding between lanes/cars). I never thought about it much as in California lane splitting is specifically allowed by statute, and it wasn't until I went to other states that I realized that the majority of the U.S. States have laws against riding a motorcycle between lanes and cars. So what's the law in Thailand? I know everyone does it, but is it illegal?

Second question, I know that tinted visors are illegal in Thailand, but what does the law say on riding with sunglasses on? Is that also prohibited?

Thanks.

This is the list of road rules you need to know!

Sunglasses optional! :o

• A vehicle following you no closer than 10 cm is not considered to be tailgating.
  • If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his left turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is safe to pass. But he may be wrong.
  • If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his right turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is not safe to pass. And he will usually be right.
  • If a driver approaching from the opposite direction flashes his headlights it may mean, "police ahead, watch your speed", or "don't pass that car, you fool, I'm coming too fast!" or "I have screwed up big time by trying pass this vehicle so please give me some room by heading for the shoulder."
  • The largest vehicle has the right of way, except elephants always have the right of way and water buffalos come second.
  • Expect buses, especially orange ones, to overtake on curves, hills and as you are approaching from the opposite direction.
  • If you are on a motorcycle, and see an oncoming bus, expect another bus to overtake it; especially if the road has no shoulders.
  • If you are overtaking a vehicle, expect another driver to decide to overtake you at the same time.
  • If you are on a motorcycle or bicycle, keep as careful a watch behind as in front of you.
  • If you have an accident, you will most likely be blamed.
  • Learn to read the Thai script for Man and Lady for service station restrooms!

Finer technicalities like the legality of lane splitting are irrelevant, what matters is the mood of the officer, whether he is short of whiskey money, mia noi fund, or behind on his gambling debts that day.

If they want to make a problem they will.. If they dont want to you could just have run someone over and they will let you go. Dont think too mutt.

Another tip. Hop into Tesco Lotus. Locate those construction hard hats. Buy one. Punch 2 holes in it. Thread through a piece of string. These work great with sunglasses. Especially at night.

And you will be in full compliance with the law. Such as it is.

The law says "Wear a helmet" It doesn't say what kind.

Edited by dotcom

You wear an helmet then

I'm confused; is that a question or a snide post about the fact I do where a helmet? If it's a question, then yes I do. If it's just someone trying to be smart than I value my rugged good looks and massive cranial capacity not to.

Any idea on if the law says you have to wear it on your head? If there's that loop-hole than they may need to plug it like that one state did after the motorcyclist beat his ticket for wearing his helmet on either his back or knee or something.

In Thailand it is completely legal to split lanes, as long as it is the most left lane. As motorcycle in Thailand you need to stay in the left lane, this rule has no exceptions, even with a 1 liter bike you need to stay in the left lane.

Edited by Richard-BKK

In Thailand it is completely legal to split lanes, as long as it is the most left lane. As motorcycle in Thailand you need to stay in the left lane, this rule has no exceptions, even with a 1 liter bike you need to stay in the left lane.

Thats interesting I understand the motorcycle's need to stay in the left lane but what are you saying ? that it is illegal here to overtake slower traffic in the outside lane ? Are YOU sure :o

You wear an helmet then

I'm confused; is that a question or a snide post about the fact I do where a helmet? If it's a question, then yes I do. If it's just someone trying to be smart than I value my rugged good looks and massive cranial capacity not to.

Any idea on if the law says you have to wear it on your head? If there's that loop-hole than they may need to plug it like that one state did after the motorcyclist beat his ticket for wearing his helmet on either his back or knee or something.

Well yes a little bit snide :o but I really don't think you have anything to worry about if you wear THE helmet, and yes I value my good looks :D

Yes, it is true, you only allowed in the most left lane, some traveling to other lanes is 'onofficial' accepted, like when you need to turn into a street on the rightsize, while riding on a 2-way street, it is 'unofficially' allowed that you wait at the center of the road. Official you need to wait at the left side of the road, and wait until traffic clears and then cross the road. With traffic coming from both sides, this would be almost imposable.

Overtaking other traffic, by changing lanes, is not allowed for motorcycles. Still, riding bigger motorcycles, I feel not that safe between a city bus and the sidewalk ....

Yes, it is true, you only allowed in the most left lane, some traveling to other lanes is 'onofficial' accepted, like when you need to turn into a street on the rightsize, while riding on a 2-way street, it is 'unofficially' allowed that you wait at the center of the road. Official you need to wait at the left side of the road, and wait until traffic clears and then cross the road. With traffic coming from both sides, this would be almost imposable.

Overtaking other traffic, by changing lanes, is not allowed for motorcycles. Still, riding bigger motorcycles, I feel not that safe between a city bus and the sidewalk ....

Yes thank you, one more question tho. on a single lane road does this still apply, No overtaking on the outside of slow traffic ? :o

Cardinal rule of traffic in Thailand. Stay left. Few if any of the locals have ever heard of this "suggestion"

Richard is dead right. regarding motorcycles it's the law.

I do think the law says "Motorcyclists shall wear a helmet ON THE HEAD" I assume that but don't know it for a fact.

You can be wearing a dinner plate & I don't think the cops will hassle you.

Aye well from what I've seen so far, it's definitely up to the officer's mood. Most of the problems you'll run into are from traffic stops. Roaming cops usually don't care. I've seen cops riding past people riding a motorcycle while talking on the phone and they don't care. When traffic's heavy, they usually don't care that you filter through traffic, no matter what lane.

To be on the safe side though, stay in the left lane unless you absolutely have to switch or overtake, then haul ass back to the left lane.

Tinted visors... I've never been hassled for those, even though I was wearing it while getting booked for something else, or pulled over for a traffic check. *shrug*

Maybe instead of saying TIT for this is Thailand, we need to say TIB and TIPa, TIPt and TICM. 60,000 km of driving all over the road, hardly ever in the left gutter, and I have never been stopped for riding in the wrong lane. Since switching to the Yamaha X1R I have been on the left when it was convenient - four feet wide and well paved. But here, at the stop light, bikes fill both lanes and take off, all across the road. I suspect there is no uniformly enforced, all-Thailand rule.

Ok, I just wanted to double check the legality of two things in LOS. The first is lane splitting (riding between lanes/cars). I never thought about it much as in California lane splitting is specifically allowed by statute, and it wasn't until I went to other states that I realized that the majority of the U.S. States have laws against riding a motorcycle between lanes and cars. So what's the law in Thailand? I know everyone does it, but is it illegal?

Second question, I know that tinted visors are illegal in Thailand, but what does the law say on riding with sunglasses on? Is that also prohibited?

Thanks.

i`ve been fined for lane splitting in pattaya...