Pac

From Koh Phangan Island News:

Shevaun here - Thanks so much to everyone for their support and offers of help - the truth is, I have no idea what we can do to get to the bottom of this. I can only hope that sharing PAC’s story as widely as possible will help.

To summarize: Last September, I accepted the challenge of trying to make PAC a permanent part of the island so that we could provide care for both owned and stray animals. Through incredibly hard work and generous donations and grants, I managed to raise enough money to buy the land we are now on, renovate the existing buildings and build the island's first vet clinic. The plan was to rent this custom-built clinic to a Thai vet (two of which have already expressed an interest) to set up their own business caring for all the owned animals of Koh PhaNgan. That way PAC could do what I set it up for - provide medical care for stray animals, using the rent to make PAC (hopefully!) self-sufficient, with the added advantage of the support & supervision of a Thai vet.

We were so very close to this becoming a reality (just a couple more months), and then the fire.

We don't know why this has happened - there are many rumours, with the latest being that it was a farang who was dissatisfied with our 'services'.

I therefore want to talk here to the farang community who may misunderstand what we are about, and have unrealistic expectations of PAC.

PAC is just 2 people (myself and Por) with the support of Nira and a stream of volunteers, who want to improve the lives of Koh PhaNgan's animals. We operate entirely on donations, treat every animal in need, and make no financial profit whatsoever. Por receives basic living expenses from sponsors Animals Asia Foundation, and I have never taken any salary from PAC – I work part-time in Hong Kong as a veterinarian to support myself and my work at PAC.

I set up PAC specifically to help the island's strays, but as pet ownership has increased over the years, many animal owners have come to ask for our help as well - there has been a 75% increase in the number of pedigree dogs on the island since 2001, and they now occupy 35% of PAC's work.

Additionally PAC's workload has more than doubled over the years, despite the fact that PAC is staffed only by Por and whatever volunteers I can find to help her. Year 6 averaged 300 animals seen per month (compare to 119 in Year 1) for consultations, vaccinations, surgeries and hospitalization - only 16% of these animals were strays. The only solution I could find for this was to do everything I could to help the island get a private vet clinic.

We have worked so hard for 7 years, keeping the clinic open continually (except for a 1 week period at the start of May 2008 when we moved from the school), and for every animal we have helped, we know we have done a good thing. We were so saddened, therefore, when, in May of this year, we received complaints from farangs about the things we haven’t done.

I can only ask for people to talk far and wide, to explain our situation to those who may not understand. I have no interest in revenge or even justice – I only want to know that Por is safe, that Koh PhaNgan wants PAC, and that PAC can safely return to our new premises to complete our efforts to provide care for all of Koh PhaNgan’s animals.

PAC will remain closed until this time – we are currently building a security wall around the premises to keep it safe; anybody wishing to donate to help us pay for this wall, or recover our losses due to fire (estimated at approx THB 600,000) can do so through Marissa at Jungle Gym or via our bank account http://pacthailand.org/Support%20PAC/bank_details.htm

If anybody has any complaints, or knowledge of whatever problem may have sparked this or suggestions as to how this problem may be resolved, please contact me directly at redshev @ pacthailand.org

Koh Phangan PACs' official statement regarding the "fire":

At 10pm, Friday the 1st of August, "fire" destroyed all medicines and most equipment at PAC. Two patients were in the clinic at the time – one cat died, the other was saved due to the heroic actions of Pi Ton, our building foreman, who managed to halt the "fire" before the truck arrived (and before the oxygen tank exploded). The cause of the "fire" has not yet been determined, but motorbikes and breaking glass were heard before the "fire" started.

We at PAC are all shocked and saddened by this development – for 7 years we have given every ounce of ourselves to help the animals of Koh PhaNgan and the island as a whole – work which has been funded by donations alone, with all earnings reinvested into improving the lives of the animals of this island.

If this "fire" was started deliberately, then someone on Koh PhaNgan has a problem with PAC. All PAC’s work has been called to an immediate halt, and all staff removed from the premises, until this problem is identified.

If this is a problem that cannot be solved, PAC will close permanently and the land will be sold. If this problem can be solved, and PAC is allowed to re-open, it can never be the same again due to our need to ensure that our work does not cause any further problems.

Up until now, PAC has operated without legal permission to perform our work. From this point forward, if we are allowed to stay, we will work strictly within the boundaries of the law – PAC can only perform its work under the supervision of a Thai veterinarian. We have built a veterinary clinic, but it can only be used if we can persuade a Thai vet to buy or rent it, depending on the outcome of this incident. We cannot and therefore will not be able to perform consultations or prescribe medications.

With deepest regrets,

Shevaun Gallwey (Founder), Amphai (Por) Thongpliu (Head Nurse) and Niramon Brande (President)

Notice: Koh Phangan Police has asked that PAC doesn't speak in public about any arson attack until investigations are finished!

It would be a shame if it was just a freak electrical fire that was misconstrued as vandalism/arson which caused the organization to shut down under false pretenses. If it was indeed an act of arson it would similarly be a shame that PAC would be unable to continue operation due to fear of repeat offenses. I hate to see the victim victimized. Punishing PAC for being the victim of suspected arson is the opposite of what needs to be done in this situation. I don't have the answers, but it saddens me to see the way this is being handled.

It would be a shame if it was just a freak electrical fire that was misconstrued as vandalism/arson which caused the organization to shut down under false pretenses. If it was indeed an act of arson it would similarly be a shame that PAC would be unable to continue operation due to fear of repeat offenses. I hate to see the victim victimized. Punishing PAC for being the victim of suspected arson is the opposite of what needs to be done in this situation. I don't have the answers, but it saddens me to see the way this is being handled.

The damage being what it is they need to close regardless. So the bottom line is, let's not let them close! They need our support more then ever. You can donate through paypal. Just a few clicks.

• 4 months later...

Update on the PAC situation.

Unfortunately, locals (which cannot be named) have threatened PAC again, and the volunteers are now considering closing down the centre for good.

PAC volunteers are still taking care of strays at temples and Haad Rin for the time being, but PAC remains closed for veterinarian services.

The good news for pet owners living in Koh Pha-Ngan, is that Dr Pong (formerly PAC's Vet, being the only qualified Veterinary Doctor on the island) has just opened her new Veterinary Clinic at Bantai.

The clinic is located on the main road between High School and Samui-Bangkok hospital, 3rd shop on the right past the school if traveling from Thongsala.

Please spread the word, specially amongst local Thais.

Open Monday-Sunday, 9am-12noon, 3pm-7pm

084 447 0944

Please call prior to visit, as Dr Pong may be away on house calls at any time.

Unfortunately, locals (which cannot be named) have threatened PAC again, and the volunteers are now considering closing down the centre for good.

PAC volunteers are still taking care of strays at temples and Haad Rin for the time being, but PAC remains closed for veterinarian services.

The good news for pet owners living in Koh Pha-Ngan, is that Dr Pong (formerly PAC's Vet, being the only qualified Veterinary Doctor on the island) has just opened her new Veterinary Clinic at Bantai.

The clinic is located on the main road between High School and Samui-Bangkok hospital, 3rd shop on the right past the school if traveling from Thongsala.

084 447 0944

So, the "locals" can make threats to the PAC but they cannot be named. What a terrible situation. It is shameful that they are allowed to do this.

Are these morons really that powerful?

084 447 0944

So, the "locals" can make threats to the PAC but they cannot be named. What a terrible situation. It is shameful that they are allowed to do this.

Are these morons really that powerful?

Don't see why they can't name them, they'd only probably be Nicknames anyway... :o

084 447 0944

seems dr prong has come out of this well.

It's because they went out public and criticize the threatment of the elephants. :o

No - a different issue is involved, but it doesn't help PAC at all to discuss this in public. If we were part of a volunteer organization with little local support and no protection whatsoever, we would also be careful about was being discussed in public.

Nope.

Dr Pong was in the process of setting up her veterinary clinic at PAC, when the fire and subsequent threats made it too dangerous for her to stay there.

It took considerable (additional) effort and funds to set up this alternative clinic in Bantai.

084 447 0944

A cheap shot.

It is good that there is a qualified vet. It gives the animals a chance to also come out of this well.

Thanks also to Jose for the update.