Travel To Sakhon Nakhon

Shrek

:o I travel to arrive in bangkok in a week or so and am meeting a girlfriend at her family home in Sakhon Nakhon. I have heard there is a flight once a day or so but if this is full or too long a delay what other options are open to me ? train? coach? taxi? where do I get each from and what should I pay ?

Thanks anyone who can help

:o I travel to arrive in bangkok in a week or so and am meeting a girlfriend at her family home in Sakhon Nakhon. I have heard there is a flight once a day or so but if this is full or too long a delay what other options are open to me ? train? coach? taxi? where do I get each from and what should I pay ?

Thanks anyone who can help

I dont know what the flight times are but sakhon nakhon is a fair way from BKK, if the flight is full ( I doubt it )or a long wait you would probably be better just having a night in BKK and going the next day. I would imagine its a 8 hour plus bus ride, train not much quicker, mabye 5 hr in a taxi and probably more expensive than a flight.

I'm just guessing based on what its like to get up here as I dont live up that way.

I think Thai airways has a web page that you can book filghts, do a search.

Cheers RC

I used to live in Nakhon Phanom and always went through Sakhon on my travels to and from there.

The Thai flight for NKP stops at Sakhon and I've never had any problems with them being full.

Buses leave Morchit several times in the morning and evening and you should have no problems getting something. Buses for NKP will also stop in Sakhon.

The morning departures are better if you're a bit of a newbie to Thailand because you can see a bit of scenery on the way. Overnight buses can be unpleasant at times, broken seat, annoying passenger, nauseating Thai comedy videos, aircon set to sub zero etc.

Make sure you have sturdy locks on luggage that is put in the hold. Anything valuable keep as hand luggage and take it with you at rest stops.

If you have any uncertainty then try and get your GF to meet you at the airport.

Buses leave Morchit several times in the morning and evening and you should have no problems getting something. Buses for NKP will also stop in Sakhon.

The morning departures are better if you're a bit of a newbie to Thailand because you can see a bit of scenery on the way. Overnight buses can be unpleasant at times, broken seat, annoying passenger, aircon set to sub zero etc.

Make sure you have sturdy locks on luggage that is put in the hold. Anything valuable keep as hand luggage and take it with you at rest stops.

Good advice from Gazza.

If you are in no big hurry, take the train, safe but slow and cheap. :o

State Railway of Thailand

I think the nearest he can get to Sakhon by train is Nong Khai or by going to Ubon.

Then he would have to bus it from either of those places.

Probably would be the nicest way to view the countryside though, as roadside scenery gets dull after a while or so many trips.

Methinks I'll have to travel more often by train. :o