Information Needed About Pattaya

russianrobert

I'm planning a trip to Pattaya next week for a few days from BKK.

I'm planning to jump on the bus from Ekamai-does that sound like a good idea?

Also, can anyone recommend a small reasonably priced hotel, well run and fairly central?

What about decent pubs and bars?

Cheers

I'm planning a trip to Pattaya next week for a few days from BKK.

I'm planning to jump on the bus from Ekamai-does that sound like a good idea?

Also, can anyone recommend a small reasonably priced hotel, well run and fairly central?

What about decent pubs and bars?

Cheers

Yes, its a good idea to go, AND to go by bus.

Ticket booth for Pattaya buses is the 1st or 2nd on the right to the extreme right of the station as you walk up the steps at the front. Ignore the touts trying to get you on a private bus parked to the left near the BTS station.

Price was around 110 bht, maybe bit more with fuel price rise.

Walk through to the back of the station still at the right (keep hard right as if going back to Sukhumvit for the toilets).

Pattaya bus bay is near the building, only a few bays along.

Bus number and time on your ticket. Buses leave about every 30 minutes until around 10pm.

The seat number is ON THE BACK of the seat you sit in. A bit unusual, be careful.

About 2.5 hrs to Pattaya.

When you arrive in Pattaya north bus station, get a shared baht bus (Blue pick up truck) into town. (only 5 - 10 minutes). They will want to know WHERE in town you want to be.

Main entertainment areas for pubs n bars, Soi 8 & 7 & Walking Street at the South end of Beach Road. Soi 6 if you want something more seedy. (best in an afternoon i hear). Buy a cheap map to get your bearings. Lots of Russians around!

More cultural things to see? just a few suggestions:

Sanctuary of Truth. Mini Siam ..... nice place to take a girl, go for sundown, but watch the mosquitoes. Nong Nooch gardens. Tiger zoo at Sri Racha.

Can you report back what time the bars & Go Go bars are closing these days?

Lots & lots of hotels, try along soi Honey Inn off 2nd road.

Edited by Lancashirelad

the buses and hotels are expensive and Pattaya is a cràp city. best is to stay clear and head for Brighton.

Perhaps, but the youngster wishes to sow his wild oats or perhaps explore another side of his sexuality. Who knows, but it is not for us to judge. I'll find out the end of the story once I read the Pattaya News and see the lurid pictures. :o

Can you report back what time the bars & Go Go bars are closing these days?

3 am for the most part (so I've been told) :o

Plenty to see and do without going to the bars/go-gos etc. One of the many things I like about it here.

Bar wise Walking st is of course the best place to head for and depending what you are looking for you should have a good night, best place for shows etc is Angelwitch, yes its a gogo but also very entertaining, Hootys is also a good gogo, for just beer and live music with no women head for Blues Factory, beer bars head to Simon complex where Hot Tuna bar is a good laugh.

Hotel wise i'm a bit uniformed in that department i'm afraid.

:o

Edited by davethailand

Bar wise Walking st is of course the best place to head for and depending what you are looking for you should have a good night, best place for shows etc is Angelwitch, yes its a gogo but also very entertaining, Hootys is also a good gogo, for just beer and live music with no women head for Blues Factory, beer bars head to Simon complex where Hot Tuna bar is a good laugh.

:o

Still have Ladies Nights on Mondays ?

I won a hair-dryer last time I went there (kind of funny, considering I haven't needed a hairdryer since the early 80s !) :D

Gave it to the girl I was with and she seemed happy with it, so it was all good !

:D

Still have Ladies Nights on Mondays ?

I won a hair-dryer last time I went there (kind of funny, considering I haven't needed a hairdryer since the early 80s !) :D

Gave it to the girl I was with and she seemed happy with it, so it was all good !

The so called powers that be have AGAIN :o removed my earlier response to this question so i'll answer with a simple Yes. :D

I walked down soi 6 one night a couple of years ago. I didn't go into any of the places there, but still had the sense that it was the sleaziest place I'd ever been... Was my perception correct?

Depends. Were you there looking for sleaze, or for the Public Library rumoured to exist there ? :D

(In all my time here, I've only recently went down soi 6 for the first time. Only because I was the passenger in my buddy's SUV and he chose that route to get us back to Beach Road. It was early afternoon and didn't much different than some other sois. We were going too quickly for me to spot the Library though :o )

I walked down soi 6 one night a couple of years ago. I didn't go into any of the places there, but still had the sense that it was the sleaziest place I'd ever been... Was my perception correct?

as long as you were in Soi 6 most probably yes :o

The bus down is very easy - 128b now I think. As stated, tell the blue-baht bus driver where you want to be dropped off and they'll take you there for 20b.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was absolutely dead. There are plenty of hotels offering good deals - soi buakao is a good bet - ask to get dropped off at soi honey and walk up there and wonder around the sois for a few minutes - plenty of hotels around. My personal favourite is Hotel Laguna, which has comfortable new rooms for 4-600b. There are some good bars in that area as well. This area is a fair way from walking street, so you'll need to use baht buses - just flag one down and jump on - they run on a circuit around the resort. As long as you don't state your destination to the driver you'll pay 10b.

as long as you were in Soi 6 most probably yes :o

Dunno sleazy, quite respectable - I hear you have to take showers before/after - so can't be that dirty most likely clean. :D

We shouldn't poke russianrobert -prob full of tats and likes to scrap naked. :D

Edited by britmaveric

I'm planning a trip to Pattaya next week for a few days from BKK. I'm planning to jump on the bus from Ekamai-does that sound like a good idea? Also, can anyone recommend a small reasonably priced hotel, well run and fairly central? What about decent pubs and bars?

Yes, great idea. Indeed the bus from Ekamai is a good and cheap way to get there, unless of course you're closer to Mo Chit; buses every 20-30 minutes from there as well.

For a hotel, try to book the Nautical Inn.. could be one of the oldest hotels in Pattaya. Make sure to book the low-rise motel style building (they call that the garden building or pool building).. It's a very popular spot but this being low season especially for Western visitors you could have a chance.

You can explore a lot around Pattaya, many beaches nearby all the way down the coast to Sattahip, many of them inside Navy facilities.

Pattaya has loads of pubs and bars, but I'm no expert on the decent ones, though I know they're there.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I recently stayed at the 18 Coins Inn on Soi Beokaw....It was quite decent for 500 Baht a night for a superior room that was fine 198/20 Soi Beokaw tel-66-3841 6963 or if you want to be closer to the action I 've also stayed at the Eastiny Plaza Hotel on Soi 8 tel 66-38362455 right in the middle of it all and a new hotel(there are lots of Eastiny hotels look for the new yellow and white one with the Buffet rest. on the main floor) for 1,200 a night I paid only 1,100 but I'm good at sweet talking......breakfast buffet included (not so great) and a nice pool......