How Restrictive Is The Us Embassy In Giving Out Tourist Visas To Thais?

I was lucky to meet an educated, gainfully employed girl in BKK this past year (for ease of readiblity, I'll call her Nat). Since we are in the early stages of our relationship, I know it's nearly impossible to get Nat a tourist visa to come visit me in the states. She does, however, want to visit a long time friend in Michigan. Nat's friend married a farang 13 years ago and for the past 9 years, her and her husband have been living in MI. The two weeks Nat would be spending in the US would be under their roof, entirely supported by her friends. So, while she's on her vacation in the US, we would be able to spend a few days together, even introduce her to a few of my family members. Now for Nat's current situation. I'll bullet them as to help identify Nat's case:

• 30 year old professional woman.
  • Previously married but now divorced (currently single)
  • No children
  • Proficient in English
  • Gainfully employed (6 years with same Thai company) with a 50K baht monthly income
  • Respective savings account (close to 500K)
  • 20 year close relationship with childhood friend.
  • Notarized letter of invitation from childhood friend to spend the 2 weeks with her family
  • Copies of friend and friend's husband US passports (both come and visit Thailand often)
  • Letter of Employment from current employer that states her job function, her high value to the company, and approval of her 2 week vacation holiday.
  • Passport and tourist visa approvals to Germany for 2 previous vacations (all within 5 years)
  • Immediate family all live in BKK
  • Does not own any property accept for her car.

I'm really looking any leverage Nat may have as to prove she is not a "risk" to the immigration department and will not over-stay her visa. Nat has decided to use a "visa agency" in Bangkok to help her with this process. So, I have essentially several questions:

• First, what are her chances in getting approval on a tourist visa for 2 weeks from the US Embassy?
  • Is the "visa agency" worth the 5000 Baht?
  • Which reason should dominate her answer to the US embassy when they ask her, "Why do you want to come to the US"? (we already know to leave the 'boyfriend' out of story!

Again, any advice or help would be appreciated as I know this board has helped other members in the past.

I would say her chances are much better than most who apply but not a slam dunk. There is never black and white in the embassy's decision about this stuff. But the most decisive matter is she must have a very compelling reason to return so she isn't a risk to stay. Visiting the friend and to see America has to be the reason for going in this case. The fact that she has a good job, savings account and past visa to a different country from which she returned is in her favor, as well as her age.

The down side is that a savings account can be accessed from abroad whereas having land or a house is much more difficult to liquidate in order to overstay a visa.

If the Visa service gets it done, then it is probably worth the 5,000 Baht and don't look back but she most likely wouldn't have needed them with the documentation you have mentioned.

If there is any thought of overstaying or marrying while on a tourist visa...don't even think about it. It will only cause problems down the road, whereas, if she does get the tourist visa and returns as promised she builds trust with immigration for future considerations.

For future (possible) reference, the easiest way to gain entry for her into the USA as a love interest (wife) is to get a K-1 fiancee visa. Oddly enough, it is less complex and much quicker than marrying and trying to get a "marriage visa". FYI - you can marry her in Thailand but don't register the marriage and you still qualify for a K-1 Visa since the marriage isn't legally recognized, just don't be mentioning the ceremony to any officials, it will only cause confusion in their minds.

My wife is very close to gaining her citizenship and I have done all the documentation myself. I once visited a lawyer in the States for help but as I was filling out his paperwork at my house, I thought to myself that I should just be putting all this info onto the official documents myself and save the money. So I did. The lawyer's comment was what if you have difficulties and I said....that's when I will hire a lawyer...but never needed.

I have found the immigration process and officials relatively easy to work with as long as you do everything they request and are honest. It has been a much more pleasant experience than what I was prepared for.

Kudos to USCIS.

Good luck!

Martian

Edited by Martian

I would say her chances are much better than most who apply but not a slam dunk. There is never black and white in the embassy's decision about this stuff. But the most decisive matter is she must have a very compelling reason to return so she isn't a risk to stay. Visiting the friend and to see America has to be the reason for going in this case. The fact that she has a good job, savings account and past visa to a different country from which she returned is in her favor, as well as her age.

The down side is that a savings account can be accessed from abroad whereas having land or a house is much more difficult to liquidate in order to overstay a visa.

If the Visa service gets it done, then it is probably worth the 5,000 Baht and don't look back but she most likely wouldn't have needed them with the documentation you have mentioned.

If there is any thought of overstaying or marrying while on a tourist visa...don't even think about it. It will only cause problems down the road, whereas, if she does get the tourist visa and returns as promised she builds trust with immigration for future considerations.

For future (possible) reference, the easiest way to gain entry for her into the USA as a love interest (wife) is to get a K-1 fiancee visa. Oddly enough, it is less complex and much quicker than marrying and trying to get a "marriage visa". FYI - you can marry her in Thailand but don't register the marriage and you still qualify for a K-1 Visa since the marriage isn't legally recognized, just don't be mentioning the ceremony to any officials, it will only cause confusion in their minds.

My wife is very close to gaining her citizenship and I have done all the documentation myself. I once visited a lawyer in the States for help but as I was filling out his paperwork at my house, I thought to myself that I should just be putting all this info onto the official documents myself and save the money. So I did. The lawyer's comment was what if you have difficulties and I said....that's when I will hire a lawyer...but never needed.

I have found the immigration process and officials relatively easy to work with as long as you do everything they request and are honest. It has been a much more pleasant experience than what I was prepared for.

Kudos to USCIS.

Good luck!

Martian

Thanks for the input Martian. Yeah, I read recently about how much easier it is for a K1 verses a K3. Although we're premature in our relationship to suggest about any lifelong committments, we have casually discussed marriage and immigrating to the US. She does want to as she has family friends that live here. In June and July of this year, I stayed with her in her condo with her in BKK. You get to know someone really quick when you live with them for 2 months. I plan on returning to BKK in December 08 till March 08 if things continue to progress. We even agreed to have a ceramonial function up country at her mother's house. And we're both well aware of staying away from the registrar's office in BKK.

Yesterday, she filed her paperwork with a VISA service agency and she received an interview date of Sept 22. If things go well, she'll get her 2 week tourist visa and visit me in November during the US Thankgiving Holiday. This will give my family a chance to meet her. If we lose the coin toss, we plan on vacationing in Germany (considering it's only a 5 day visa turn around for her).

Kudos to USCIS.

Good luck!

Martian

Thanks for the input Martian. Yeah, I read recently about how much easier it is for a K1 verses a K3. Although we're premature in our relationship to suggest about any lifelong committments, we have casually discussed marriage and immigrating to the US. She does want to as she has family friends that live here. In June and July of this year, I stayed with her in her condo with her in BKK. You get to know someone really quick when you live with them for 2 months. I plan on returning to BKK in December 08 till March 08 if things continue to progress. We even agreed to have a ceramonial function up country at her mother's house. And we're both well aware of staying away from the registrar's office in BKK.

Yesterday, she filed her paperwork with a VISA service agency and she received an interview date of Sept 22. If things go well, she'll get her 2 week tourist visa and visit me in November during the US Thankgiving Holiday. This will give my family a chance to meet her. If we lose the coin toss, we plan on vacationing in Germany (considering it's only a 5 day visa turn around for her).

At least in Phoenix it won't be cold during Thanksgiving. My wife doesn't like the cold of the midwest but.....it was part of the deal before we married...she was warned! When you go in December, try to get a multi-entry tourist visa or the like before you go so you can keep your 3 30-day exempt passport based entries in reserve in case something unforeseen develops. the new rules allow you only 90 days in any one 180 period through the "exemption entry" method.

You're probably well aware of this but thought I would mention it anyway!

Good luck and take your time with her!

Martian

my wife got a US visa on the second attempt so don't give up if your first fails. you need to be prepared with lots of proof of returning to Thailand and a short, half page written summary is a good idea. it really helps if the applicant is confident i think. 1st time she was very nervous and it didn't go well, 2nd time she was relaxed and bingo.

steve

I was lucky to meet an educated, gainfully employed girl in BKK this past year (for ease of readiblity, I'll call her Nat). Since we are in the early stages of our relationship, I know it's nearly impossible to get Nat a tourist visa to come visit me in the states. She does, however, want to visit a long time friend in Michigan. Nat's friend married a farang 13 years ago and for the past 9 years, her and her husband have been living in MI. The two weeks Nat would be spending in the US would be under their roof, entirely supported by her friends. So, while she's on her vacation in the US, we would be able to spend a few days together, even introduce her to a few of my family members. Now for Nat's current situation. I'll bullet them as to help identify Nat's case:

• No children
  • Proficient in English
  • Gainfully employed (6 years with same Thai company) with a 50K baht monthly income
  • Notarized letter of invitation from childhood friend to spend the 2 weeks with her family
  • Copies of friend and friend's husband US passports (both come and visit Thailand often)
  • Letter of Employment from current employer that states her job function, her high value to the company, and approval of her 2 week vacation holiday.
  • Passport and tourist visa approvals to Germany for 2 previous vacations (all within 5 years)

I'm really looking any leverage Nat may have as to prove she is not a "risk" to the immigration department and will not over-stay her visa. Nat has decided to use a "visa agency" in Bangkok to help her with this process. So, I have essentially several questions:

• First, what are her chances in getting approval on a tourist visa for 2 weeks from the US Embassy?
  • Which reason should dominate her answer to the US embassy when they ask her, "Why do you want to come to the US"? (we already know to leave the 'boyfriend' out of story!

Again, any advice or help would be appreciated as I know this board has helped other members in the past.

A point to keep in mind is that the experiances we read of on TV are those of ex-pats involved in sponsoring/supporting Thai's applying for visas. What we dont read of on this forum is those Thai's who get visas to visit the USA off their own backs so to speak (excuse pun) meaning: on the basis of their own credentials - without needing the support of an ex-pat friend/boyfriend ect .... It wouldn't suprize me if she was in this group. I dont know, but it's possible.

Be careful of visa agencies - clearance officers know a "visa agency application" when they see one - belive me, they know it. Are they worth it? In my opinion I don;t know a clearance officer who has a postive thing to say about a visa agency - mostly because they have a reputation of being used to "dress things up" ( .. I dont know any USA clearance officers but I do know some in a social context from another embassy and they certainly haven't a good thing to say about visa agencies). The best applicantion is an honest one.

2 previous visa to Europe is a big plus point - anything that gives a clearance oficer reason to suggest the applicant will not overstay or overwise breach their visa terms & conditions is a good thing.

Good luck

Edited by Maizefarmer

• No children
  • Proficient in English

A point to keep in mind is that the experiances we read of on TV are those of ex-pats involved in sponsoring/supporting Thai's applying for visas. What we dont read of on this forum is those Thai's who get visas to visit the USA off their own backs so to speak (excuse pun) meaning: on the basis of their own credentials - without needing the support of an ex-pat friend/boyfriend ect .... It wouldn't suprize me if she was in this group. I dont know, but it's possible.

Be careful of visa agencies - clearance officers know a "visa agency application" when they see one - belive me, they know it. Are they worth it? In my opinion I don;t know a clearance officer who has a postive thing to say about a visa agency - mostly because they have a reputation of being used to "dress things up" ( .. I dont know any USA clearance officers but I do know some in a social context from another embassy and they certainly haven't a good thing to say about visa agencies). The best applicantion is an honest one.

2 previous visa to Europe is a big plus point - anything that gives a clearance oficer reason to suggest the applicant will not overstay or overwise breach their visa terms & conditions is a good thing.

Good luck

Good points Maizefarmer, unfortunately I think that ex-pats dominate this board and therefore will provide the majority of shared experiences. I agree with you, and mentioned in an earlier post, the fact that she honored 2 previous visas, even though to a different country, is probably the biggest single "plus" in her favor.

Regards,

Martian

In the past 12 months i have had 3 of my staff apply and receive USA visa ,they all received a 10 year multi-entry Visa ,

Even though they travelled for work ,myself or my company did not sponsor them , the application was based on the strength of the canidates ,all 3 have worked for me for over 4 years, salary ranges were from thb 25kpm to thb 55kpm, important things they wanted was their bank account details,car ownership records and house leases,airline Tickets and accomadation.

They want to make sure that they have strong ties to come back to Thailand and not overstay , as my staff travel to other countires ,i can honestly say the American Visa procedure is very fair and efficient,

From the info on your girlfriend it should be very straightforward, IMO for what its worth using an agency always raises a bit of a red flag

You can do it all online and purchase a pin , to enter details etc, not very hard to complete ,allow 4-5 weeks

If the embassy finds out (now or later) that she had a boyfriend in the States and did not report it at the time when applying for the tourist visa she and you could run into trouble when applying in the future. It will be considered an attempted deception.

If she states that she has a boyfriend when applying it may lessen her chances of getting the visa in my opinion because there will be an added risk of her not returning to her homeland from their view. A catch-22.

My Thai wife just received a B1 Visea to the US. I work in Korea, so we went to the US Embassy in Seoul, two days after her interveiw her Passport w/Visa was delivered at our house via courier mail. It was a very painless process, we arrived at 0930 and were having lunch at a Thai restaurant by 1130.

We were married in Thailand three years ago, and the marriage (notarized english translation) was recognized at the interview and by the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Record System (DEERS), my wife has a DOD dependant ID card.

• No children
  • Proficient in English

Hi

I am not a US citizen but I think you should put yourself in the shoes of the person processing the application who might ask themselves why this person would need to use an Agent to obtain a visa?

Personally I would leave the Agent out of the equasion, you never reallly know what problems the Embassy may have had with "dubious" visa applications from any Agency and certainly none in LOS are approved by the UK Government as acceptable for inclusion on the statutory body for Visa Agents here in the uk, I would be very suprised if the US Government has any Thai based Agencies on its approved list of competent advisors.

Without membership of an accredited Body that has a code of conduct and is properly regulated any fool can see thmselves up as a visa agent.

Here in the UK they have just introduced a ruling that allows the Authorities to refuse to process another Visa application for up to 10 years if some information on a Visa application is incorrect/economical with the truth/ false, I dont expect the US is any less defensive of its borders.

At least if you do it yourself yo only have yourself to blame if things go wrong, and if they do you will at least be able to explain and correct a genuine error, but if you have no control of what information the Agent has provided to support the application either verbally or in paper form.

I guess you are damned if you do and damned if you dont, but personally this application would be far too important to leave in the hands ofsomeone who I have no recourse against if they act inappropriately as I suspect many in LOS may do.

Best of Luck

roy gsd

My experience for you:

Same profile for a friend I had met here on previous business trip. She had no connections to the US.

She decided not to use any sort of agency or lawyer for the process. Have been told this is often a red flag to some Consulate interviewers. For some of them, a "visa service application" is a signal to dig deeper, for others it can be a true red flag. At any rate, you do not need a service to get through the process.

All of the other advice you got here may be good... such as, having her take some banking details, employment details, etcetera. But "Nok" was successful in obtaining a 2 week tourist visa for only a couple of vital reasons, and she did not take any of the above mentioned credentials or other details.

From start to finish the time to get the visa was 12 days.

* She applied using the online Visa Application system and was given a "number" and date for the interview in BKK. The staff appreciate applicants doing this... because it eases their workload and it's a positive sign for the applicant to have the ability to navigate through the difficult and lengthy online process. (Wink, wink. Maybe it's difficult for a reason.)

* Because we had established a prior business relationship with my company in the USA, she only needed a letter of invititation from my company stating the purpose for the 2 week visit. To interview for a freelance contractor job.

We were planning the content for a tourist publication and needed the expertise of a local to be sure the content was accurate.

Your Take-Away

I'd say that the Consulate staff are there to do an important job. It's about homeland security as much as anything else.

If an applicant and the circumstances are legitimate, they have seem to have no problems with issuing short-term tourist visas. If an applicant is "gilding the lily" with a snowstorm of papers and credentials, that might actually create a stumbling block.

The bottom line is this... if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck... it must be a duck.

The US consulate staff are very sharp people and very well trained. One might say that Visa interviewers have highly accurate "truth meters".

Tell the truth. Be up-front. And the outcome will likely be positive and the visa issued quickly.

Good luck

Edited by JGregory

• No children
  • Proficient in English

It has nothing to do with how long she knows you are anyone else for that matter, she needs to go into the interview and convince the one person that she talks to that she will be returning!

Make sure the person she talk to knows that she speaks English DO NOT let them talk to her in Thai, it only adds to confusion.

Why is she going to America to visit friens and to be a tourist, that is not the big issue the big issue is that they need to be convinced without a doubt that she will return to Thaialnd.

America loves tourists!

When I was at the embassy waiting for my business visa I saw and listened to loads of interviews, they record everything and keep it on file and I saw this catch out a few people. One girl said she was working at a certain company 2 years previous then they brought up her old application and proved she was lying. I am not suggesting anyone here will lie intentionally but be aware that when in the future you apply for marriage visas the story must be 100% the same. Be truthful and accurate, that's all you can do.

the length of the visa given to an individual in bkk does not matter as to how long a visitor may stay in the US. the visa is issued by STATE and the length of stay is given (allowed) by USCIS upon arrival at teh US port of entry.

the visa may be issued for a period of 1 week to 10 years and the entry to teh US must be made before the visa expires. when you arrive at the port of entry, USCIS will ask why you are coming, where are you going ect. if you tell them you will be here for only one week they will stamp your I-94 for one week. if you indicate you will be traveling with friends or even by youself for a couple of months they will stamp your visa for up to 6 months. (no longer on a B1/2 visa) so don't worry about your visa only being good for 2 weeks. just make sure you enter before the expiration date of the visa and tell USCIS (immigration officer) how long you owuld like to stay, up to the 6 months.

another thing is that yes, if you come to the US as a visitor, you can get married and file an I-130 to keep you spouse in the US with no problem!

cris, u might also have the friends she wants too visit write a letter to "Whom it May Concern" and explain that she is coming to vist them in Michigan and for how long. also explain in the letter they will be taking care of all of her expenses whhile she is her. send that letter to her and she can turn it in with her other documents. i have assisted several friends in bringing their friends to the US from Thailand. questions [email protected]

My Thai wife just received a B1 Visea to the US. I work in Korea, so we went to the US Embassy in Seoul, two days after her interveiw her Passport w/Visa was delivered at our house via courier mail. It was a very painless process, we arrived at 0930 and were having lunch at a Thai restaurant by 1130.

We were married in Thailand three years ago, and the marriage (notarized english translation) was recognized at the interview and by the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Record System (DEERS), my wife has a DOD dependant ID card.

Boy, that was quick! Maybe it was filing in Korea. I am married to a Thai woman, US Citizen and it took almost a year to receive a marraige visa for her to come to the State. That is with the involvment with my Congresswoman too!

"another thing is that yes, if you come to the US as a visitor, you can get married and file an I-130 to keep you spouse in the US with no problem!"

This statement by fredlaw is not clear advise at all. When such a thing occurs, the case will be investigated very diligently and if there is any evidence whatsoever that the two parties were acquainted before the visitation, it will most likely be perceived as an attempt to circumvent the immigration laws and fraud charges could easily be brought against each party and at best, the visiting person may be deported and not allowed re-entry for a very long time, if ever again.

There are situations when this occurs as a matter of unplanned events but usually involves persons who didn't know each other until after the visiting person's arrival and evidence is normally available to clearly support that. In such cases, most spouses are permitted to stay through some means of visa filing but don't even try to get someone you know into the country on a visitor visa and then try to keep them here through marriage. A BIG NO-NO!

This is information as a result of a visit by myself to an immigration lawyer, when for one brief moment, I considered doing this in order to keep my girlfriend with me in the USA. I sent her home and waited the 5-6 months for the K-1 visa to complete processing and everything has since proceeded smoothly. We are awaiting notification of my wife's Citizenship Oath Ceremony date at this very moment.

Doing things right is the only way to go and you will find that USCIS does a much better job than most people give them credit for, especially when the applicants do their part of the process how they should.

Regards,

Martian

"another thing is that yes, if you come to the US as a visitor, you can get married and file an I-130 to keep you spouse in the US with no problem!"

This statement by fredlaw is not clear advise at all. When such a thing occurs, the case will be investigated very diligently and if there is any evidence whatsoever that the two parties were acquainted before the visitation, it will most likely be perceived as an attempt to circumvent the immigration laws and fraud charges could easily be brought against each party and at best, the visiting person may be deported and not allowed re-entry for a very long time, if ever again.

There are situations when this occurs as a matter of unplanned events but usually involves persons who didn't know each other until after the visiting person's arrival and evidence is normally available to clearly support that. In such cases, most spouses are permitted to stay through some means of visa filing but don't even try to get someone you know into the country on a visitor visa and then try to keep them here through marriage. A BIG NO-NO!

This is information as a result of a visit by myself to an immigration lawyer, when for one brief moment, I considered doing this in order to keep my girlfriend with me in the USA. I sent her home and waited the 5-6 months for the K-1 visa to complete processing and everything has since proceeded smoothly. We are awaiting notification of my wife's Citizenship Oath Ceremony date at this very moment.

Doing things right is the only way to go and you will find that USCIS does a much better job than most people give them credit for, especially when the applicants do their part of the process how they should.

Regards,

Martian

Considering I'm the OP and after reading some of the recent responses, my thoughts are a bit mixed now on how to go forward with Nat's Visa application. As she (or I should say 'we') are not trying to be deceptive to the immigration officials of the US, our 2009 goal would be to get approval on a K1 Visa for fiancee status. Up until I posted this thread, I thought it would be much better for Nat to keep her "american boyfriend" out of the tourist visa interview on Sept 22. The reason? I think everyone knows why! But...and this is a huge BUT... If she gets her tourist visa approved, how do we explain to the immigration authorities during our K1 visa application that she came to the States on her tourist Visa just to see her friends in Michigan. Not to visit her boyfriend or his family. In reality, during the fiancee Visa interview, I can just imagine the immigration officer staring at my Michigan-originated passport and thinking to himself, "now why wasn't there any mention of a boyfriend when you applied for your tourist visa?". It's a catch 22 for sure.

If she leaves my name out of it, her chances MOST LIKELY go up in terms of getting her tourist visa approved. Unfortunately, it may back fire on us if USCIM re-visit her reasons during the K1 process on why she originally came to the US on her tourist visa. I wonder how well documented these interviews are? And more importantly, will the immigration officer reference her previous visa application during our K1 interview?

Just to recap, she wants to come to visit her friend as well as visit my parents as they all live in the Detroit area. I've read other posts describe some success with using a "meet the parents" scenario. In all honesty, that's more important than her visiting with her friend. So essentially, will being honest about our relationship hinder or help our chances with the powers that be? I'm very aware of the biases that go along with the farang man trying to bring over his thai g/f illegally. Because that's not the case here, I'm curious if the immigration officer will be receptive to our honesty.

another thing is that yes, if you come to the US as a visitor, you can get married and file an I-130 to keep you spouse in the US with no problem!

Fredlaw,

It almost seems suicidal (or at least like playing a game of russian roullete) to misrepresent our intentions. The consequences and penalties are too steep as I've read. Worst case senario...we apply for a K1 next year and get approval in 9 months.

chrisofphoenix,

Don't misunderstand my doom and gloom warning. That was about people who deceive the embassy and immigration from the beginning by planning and executing the "get married on a tourist visa" route. You are not planning to marry (and shouldn't, even if tempted) if your girl gets the tourist visa. I would not be concerned about her not mentioning you on her tourist visa application, receiving it and then in the near future apply for the K-1. I don't think (my opinion) they will use such an admission (we saw each other in the USA while she was on a tourist visa), if it comes up, as a denial for a K-1. This is assuming that she is indeed going to visit her friends there, the reason for the visit. Be sure she has pictures, preferably with some kind of date indication, showing her with her friends at a few recognized Michigan landmarks. Keep pictures of you two together private......lol.

The most important factor is that she DID return from her tourist visa and honored her word with the embassy. This builds a history of trust with the embassy and that is what they are there for. To issue visas to people who they feel are deserving.

Also, be sure to not link your travel plans together in any way, such as both tickets under the same booking code or having comments like: "traveling with" so you can sit together. Just make arrangements at the airport for seats beside each other, or travel apart. You can always ask someone on the plane to change a seat to sit together and retain your tickets to show you didn't sit together. You also don't want immigration officials at the port of entry to think you are together or they could question entry approval. Don't sweat it, as much as possible travel as if you are two strangers when within sight of officials or their cameras. If something does occur upon entry (it won't) THEN she can claim you as her friend and you can help her.

Don't be concerned about the tourist visa affecting the K-1 as long as she returns as promised. K-1's don't take 9 months to complete. That is why many people do the K-1 route vs. the marriage visa route.

Proceed forward and good luck!

Martian

• 4 weeks later...
The girlfriend is on her way to the US embassy for her first tourist visa interview. Based on some of the advice from this board, I hope she is successful. I'll report back in a couple of hours with hopefully good news!

SHE GOT IT!!! After just a 3 minute interview, a peek at an old passport with some approved German Visa's, and a glance at her bank book, the US immigration officer gave her a thumbs up for a tourist visa. Martian and a few others who referred to her previous travel visas as a strength were absolutely correct.

The US embassy could care less about money, jobs, homes, autos, and letters of invitation. I truely believe that anything providing trust in the visa applicant (ie. compliance with previous int'l visas) will ultimately score the biggest points on interview day. Case in point...my girlfriend! Thanks again everyone...

The girlfriend is on her way to the US embassy for her first tourist visa interview. Based on some of the advice from this board, I hope she is successful. I'll report back in a couple of hours with hopefully good news!

SHE GOT IT!!! After just a 3 minute interview, a peek at an old passport with some approved German Visa's, and a glance at her bank book, the US immigration officer gave her a thumbs up for a tourist visa. Martian and a few others who referred to her previous travel visas as a strength were absolutely correct.

The US embassy could care less about money, jobs, homes, autos, and letters of invitation. I truely believe that anything providing trust in the visa applicant (ie. compliance with previous int'l visas) will ultimately score the biggest points on interview day. Case in point...my girlfriend! Thanks again everyone...

Congrats, glad she made it. Believe this is the "normal" result in any case for a normal Thai gal applying for a tourist visa.

Someone a week or so back posted that there's a 90% reject rate at the U.S. consulate, BS, sez I.

BTW, what kind of tourist visa did she get? Single entry good for three months, six months? 10 year multiple?

Mac

Congrats, glad she made it. Believe this is the "normal" result in any case for a normal Thai gal applying for a tourist visa.

Someone a week or so back posted that there's a 90% reject rate at the U.S. consulate, BS, sez I.

BTW, what kind of tourist visa did she get? Single entry good for three months, six months? 10 year multiple?

Mac

She got a 6 month visa. I'm assuming that another visa request would get her a 10 year multiple entry. But we're already talking about K1 visa's. So hopefully, by the 1st of the year, will have our I-129f package in transit and she will get her Fiancee visa approval. We're doing everything by the book!

As far as a 90% rejection rate...I don't doubt it considering how many girls are shot down. A friend of my GF, with a similiar background resume, did not get approval. If it is only a 10% success rate, I have to imagine that international travel experiences helps considerably. Most Thai girls do not have this.