Blocked/reserved table in food courts?

Posted (edited)

I stayed at a Bangkok hotel years ago that had an inclusive breakfast, we got our coffees and other things and put them on a spare table then went to get our food, when we got back a group of chinese had put our coffees etc on the floor and were just sitting there, I got very vocal and told them all where to go, luckily they got the message. Sometimes people ignore the fact someone is already using the table

Sometimes the people that want that table do need to go to get their food so by putting something on the table they hope to stop others from taking it. Where we often go for breakfast at a dim sum shop one of us has to sit at the table while the other goes and gets the food as when we have put our things on the table and both gone we come back to other sitting there and our things have been put aside, unfortunately many people are ignorant and do as they please ignoring others, while saying this if people put things on a table then disappear for a long time they have no one to blame but themselves if someone else sits there

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree with part 2, and your wife ... avoid getting yesterday's leftovers, and wait till the rush is dying down.  Food courts offer AC (usually) good food, selection, value in a clean environment.

Added plus of parking usually since most at malls, or close to public trans.

Yes indeed mate - a bit of lunch and then maybe some shopping in the Mall (they all have a Tops for me and a 'market' for her) and sometimes we catch a movie while there too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I go to food courts, yesterday in Terminal 21 about noon. It was busy.

I went to the shop and bought my meal and then I looked for a table.

There were lots of tables without people, but on most of them were small or not so small items like an umbrella, maybe a keycard, or a shopping bag.

It seems some people "reserved" these tables by putting something on the table and then walk away and take their time to get the food. And then I guess they expect that everyone recognizes that the table is blocked/reserved by them and nobody else is allowed to use it.

I find this behavior strange and annoying. Sit there and use the table or the table is available for other people. It could be simple.

Luckily, I found a free table within a minute, and all was fine. But I considered already going to one of those reserved tables, put whatever someone put on the table to the side, and then eat there.

And if someone would come and complain: Yes, I noticed you forgot your bag. Here, take it back. 😉 

What do you do in such situation? 

I wouldnt care much. Life is too short. Go find a table or stand in front of random folks and eat Pad Krapow off the tray. Once I get a good krapow sprinkling on my beard, folks tend to leave. Or make incoherent noises...or gagging, yeah thats it. That frees up table space. Or just sit on the floor. Or sit with a stranger who doesnt speak English and have a conversation.

Your annoyance level is way too low. Mine would be if I rhodesian drilled some skell and my lawyer wouldnt answer the phone. Or my plug takes off for a month and forgets to give me a bag to tide me over. Or if my hemmies act up when Im ready to go to an FKK.

People taking tables? Rude taxi drivers? Overcharging by .25 cents? A cockroach in the hotel? Toe fungus? Stupid farangs? America Bashers? Meh. Life is too short. I save annoyance for serious issues.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

What's a food court? :coffee1:

Its a place that sells street food without exhast fumes or visible rats  for 50% more. If designed for tourists, it will be airconditioned.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, freeworld said:

Terminal21 food court is very busy and more so now that the Chinese are frequenting the place. Rarely go to Terminal21 food court anymore, it just too busy.

My wife and I do sometimes reserve a table like that at the busy times by putting my book and hat down to go and buy our food.

Had one time someone touched and moved my stuff and was quite annoyed about it. I sat down at the vacant chair and eventually the pair got up and moved to another table.

And why did you think you have the right to reserve that table for you? 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

It's a place where Food gets judged and punished if it is Bad but eaten if it is Good..

Edited by Dexxter

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

If I had a baht for every time there's been plenty of empty tables when I go in, but by the time I've been served, they're all taken, so I'm left walking around with a tray of food asking people if I can sit at their table

Obviously, nobody wants to wait. And if people only sit when they actually eat then there are more tables available compared to if many people reserve their tables. 10 tables reserved and not used are like 10 tables less in the room.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

where law and order is dished out to naughty meatballs....

also where old grumpy grandpas gather to nurse a beer so they can talk to the chang and leo "pretties"......

be sure to get your plastic card at the booth as sure reminder you are in the LOS.....and your parking card on the way out..

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It is what it is.   Who wants to buy food, then have no table available.   I rarely if ever eat alone, so one of us sits, while the other fetches food.   Not sure I'd leave anything on a table and walk away.  

Better simply to time your dining a bit off hours, which we usual do, as food courts do get packed at rush hour, and for me, too annoying or worth the hassle.

hence the convenience of the 7-11 double pork burger..cash n carry and its tough finding burgers at the food court amirite?!

• Agree 1