Farming Thailand Laos

captbob

Hi ia m Bob in Laos looking some good Milking goat in Thailand and milking equipment in Thailand

Ho Bob

U may find milking goats from Mahaban Krong Goat Farm. They already market the milk in Thailand. Some years bacl they had around 2000 milking goats. Best of luck

Hi ia m Bob in Laos looking some good Milking goat in Thailand and milking equipment in Thailand

Ho Bob

U may find milking goats from Mahaban Krong Goat Farm. They already market the milk in Thailand. Some years bacl they had around 2000 milking goats. Best of luck

... that would be rather Mah Boonkrong Dairy Goat Farm in Kanchanaburi; website (in English): http://www.sirichaigoatmilk.com/lite/home.htm

Hi Bob,

Were you successful in finding the goats and equipment?

I am also in Laos and planning some small agriculture activities. What province are you in?

Is the goat milk for export? I have never seen a Lao person drink it!!

good luck

Richard

Hi Bob,

I am also in Laos and planning some small agriculture activities. What province are you in?

good luck

Richard

Hi Richard and Bob,

1. As far as I know, there is only one goat dairy in Laos – in Vang Vieng. I have never seen it myself, but I think many people in Vang Vieng will know it. They also do organic farming, mulberry tea, guesthouse, etc. You can probably Google and find it.

2. Perhaps Lao people do not drink goat’s milk but you can find expensive imported goat cheese in Vientiane supermarkets. I have been thinking for a long time that it would be a nice niche market business to produce goat cheese in Laos for the expat/tourist market; especially if you also tapped the agro-tourism potential of a goat cheese farm.

3. Besides, cheese how about yoghurt and ice cream? (Though I don’t know if you can make good these things from goats milk or not?).

Good luck.

JB.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Bob,

good luck

Richard

Hi Richard and Bob,

1. As far as I know, there is only one goat dairy in Laos – in Vang Vieng. I have never seen it myself, but I think many people in Vang Vieng will know it. They also do organic farming, mulberry tea, guesthouse, etc. You can probably Google and find it.

2. Perhaps Lao people do not drink goat's milk but you can find expensive imported goat cheese in Vientiane supermarkets. I have been thinking for a long time that it would be a nice niche market business to produce goat cheese in Laos for the expat/tourist market; especially if you also tapped the agro-tourism potential of a goat cheese farm.

3. Besides, cheese how about yoghurt and ice cream? (Though I don't know if you can make good these things from goats milk or not?).

Good luck.

JB.

Hi Bob

try www.yanafarm.com

Mr Pairoj Phumala (081-8069076) is the owner of this resort cum farm. They have planty of goat milk products as well. Around 800 head farm should be a good start to learn more.It is in Saraburi / Mukalek area. You may find the map on the website.

Regards

ALI

yogurt is a natural from goats milk; icecream is a bit difficult but can be done; depends on the fat content in the milk, what breed... search in the farming /issaan section for goats.... been discussed a lot...

bina

ex goat herd

israel

Hi I just whant a few goats for fun and the kids will love it, we are small farming for fun and enjoying te contry side of North Vientiane .

Near KONKEN on east side i think some poeple are farming dairy goat on some kind of project anaybody heard about that... ok bye good day Bob vientiane

Hi I just whant a few goats for fun and the kids will love it, we are small farming for fun and enjoying te contry side of North Vientiane .

Near KONKEN on east side i think some poeple are farming dairy goat on some kind of project anaybody heard about that... ok bye good day Bob vientiane

From the University of Khon Kaen:

Small farmers in Nong Lure (40 km west of Khon Kaen) were interviewed and selected based

on their potential ability to manage goat production. Using criteria such as availability of land,

labour and feeds, 40 families were selected to participate in the project.

More here: http://www.mekarn.org/procsr/thai-kk.pdf

Hello all, last Feb. here in Korat at the Ag Show(listed on the top of page) the had a about 10 groups showing their goats and the goats met some neighbors.

When I come into town, about a 1/4 mile to the 224/226 junction on 226, by the cement trucks, I seen 8 or so pigmy lawnmowers every now and then.

rice555

post-37242-1221719617_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1221720171_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all, last Feb. here in Korat at the Ag Show(listed on the top of page) the had a about 10 groups showing their goats and the goats met some neighbors.

When I come into town, about a 1/4 mile to the 224/226 junction on 226, by the cement trucks, I seen 8 or so pigmy lawnmowers every now and then.

rice555

Hello Rice555

In the pictures from the ag show one of them has goats and the other has some sheep. Do you know if one of those sheep is a barbados blackbelly? Thank you

Hello wagner54, the only thing I could find was was two numbers to try and see if you can gget through to a teacher. 044-224-082-4 and 044-224-152-3.

The only other thing is check other Ag schools for info or come to Korat this coming Feb. Will post dates when I find out. They had 3 or so pen's of sheep, 10-12 of goats.

rice555

hi, i'm the ex goat person (not in thailand)... but always follow the goat threads here; one thing to make double sure of if the goats are for your home and pet, GET THEM VACCINATED even if u have to buy or import the vaccines and do it yourself: brucellosis (for virgin females and all young males),and a few other nasties its .... these are the ones that can be transmitted to humans thru contact (sperm, milk, placental fluids)... all listed somewhere in here in one of the threads from way back

and i always love to hear about the goats in thailand esp. korat area...

didnt know there is an ag show... what does it include? and is it worth sending MIL/FIL ET AL to see? second/third hand tractors and stuff? cassava stuff? any info in thai?..obviously no one i know is going to do goats, that was my own thing.... but looking at the odd red cow might be good also...

bina

israel

ps. three or four nanny goats u can milk yourself no equipment needed other then a few pair of hands, clean buckets, some grain, and time for one or twice a day milking. i hand milked three nannies about four minutes a goat (once you build up skill and speed) u can build your own milking stand i still have pics in my computer i can maybe upload or send; what u do need for milk is access to a male for breeding, BUT MALES DONT MIX WITH CHILDREN for the most part, and make the milk stink....

Edited by bina

Hello wagner54, the only thing I could find was was two numbers to try and see if you can gget through to a teacher. 044-224-082-4 and 044-224-152-3.

The only other thing is check other Ag schools for info or come to Korat this coming Feb. Will post dates when I find out. They had 3 or so pen's of sheep, 10-12 of goats.

rice555

Hi rice555

I will be back in the area the first week of November and will try calling those numbers and I'll also check some ag schools. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bina, sorry it took so long getting back to you, if your inlaw's are like mine, the show was not their type of show. If you look at the goat picture, behind the people they were doing crop lest on sunflowers, also some bush beans and some 'bush long beans' which are quit good, bought some seed.

The KK show had more test plots and had tractors, they didn't have the same here, The Netafim irrigation booth was the guy from KK.

The area around the campus has lot of cassava growing, but don't know if any is test crops or not.

Out of all the livestock there, most of it was goats, a couple of pens of cows, sheep, pigs and chickens.

Time to tape my thumb back up and putting micro-tubing on drip fittings. More show pix's. Thought I'd show you the the twins doing their thing. One of these came through the closed louvered windows and plopped on the kitchen floor as I was going in for morning coffee. 6 this week, 5 different kinds, 5 poisonous. 5-KIA's and the BIG one(as round as a burger bun) got away.

rice555

post-37242-1224007039_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1224007201_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1224007398_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1224007602_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1224008220_thumb.jpg

Netafim irrigation booth
that would be israeli drip irrigation... wonder if they ever actually succeed in getting thai to use drip irrigation... thais love to see water on their plants...

what are u talking about coming thru your window?? the pics were of goats... nice to to see...did i miss a line?

at moment anon is looking at tractors, window shopping as it were, since family cant afford to feed the tractor, let alone a cow or a goat... and they wouldnt know what to do with info from a farm show either... although drip irrigation would be great, they have access to water, but no power to get the water moving from the stream to the fields...

bina

israel

oops, took a second look, now i see what came thru the window, just being a bit blind here... goats are curious creatures for sure.. often gets them in trouble, or noses bitten...

Edited by bina

Hello bina, if you looked at the picture of the 2 cat, you may need to enlarge to see by the closest cats feet.(Lucy) This is the one out of the kitchen with Ramona, the other cat.

Many forms of drip/micro sprinklers are used from vegetables, grapes and orchard here, but not so much if they are poorer farmers.

Netafim had a barrel for a supply on a drip project for the poor in Africa, but you got to get the water into the barrel somehow, buckets?

Most all the big Co's are selling irrigation supplies here, T-Tape from the US has adds in ag magazines here now, have your husband check out the Super Products site, it's in Thai. You can see what they have, and you gan get 95% of their stuff here in Korat. www.superproducts.co.th

These are 2 of the 6 snakes.

rice555

post-37242-1224092548_thumb.jpg

most of the guys here are used to drip and other irrigation since they work with it, but when it comes to their own gardens with their thai veggies (some of which need losts of water, like the big gourds) here, they prefer hand watering. this year we have been alotted very limited water for our personal gardens on the kibbutz due to cutbacks in water allocations for agriculture as well, so our water is being steered towards the agriculture. so anon has also put in drip but still doesnt understand the figures: amounts of water per minute, pressure, and the amount a certain vegetable needs as opposed to an other vegetable... so he also hand waters.

i know of several thai that were interested in taking their knowlege from the fields here and using it at home. i think they were unable to afford the supplies, and/or unable to actually use the system since the workers that have never been to isreal never used them before, and would inadvertantly cut the pipes (the black plastic ones) with hoes and things... the systems are made for precision watering, and precision is not a thai thing, for them, more is better usually.

anway a digression, but thanx for the tip, will point it out to him (cant convince a thai man anything, head on :o) )...

did u id the snakes??

bina

israel

most of the guys here are used to drip and other irrigation since they work with it, but when it comes to their own gardens with their thai veggies (some of which need losts of water, like the big gourds) here, they prefer hand watering. this year we have been alotted very limited water for our personal gardens on the kibbutz due to cutbacks in water allocations for agriculture as well, so our water is being steered towards the agriculture. so anon has also put in drip but still doesnt understand the figures: amounts of water per minute, pressure, and the amount a certain vegetable needs as opposed to an other vegetable... so he also hand waters.

i know of several thai that were interested in taking their knowlege from the fields here and using it at home. i think they were unable to afford the supplies, and/or unable to actually use the system since the workers that have never been to isreal never used them before, and would inadvertantly cut the pipes (the black plastic ones) with hoes and things... the systems are made for precision watering, and precision is not a thai thing, for them, more is better usually.

note: just showed him the link; a very good friend of ours just returned to thailand after doing 7 yrs here with cucumbers; he apparently has bought some irrigation lines and will be doing cukes in korat... i actually asked anon if P. would want to work salary for anon's parents doing irrigation for them... anon's typical thai answer: P. wants to work for himself, he's sick of having an employer after seven years... anyway, he just picked up the phone to call with this info... so thanx, thaivisa farming and to u for the tip (i know there have been several threads in the past about irrigation etc, also)... perhaps something real will actually happen with knowlege that bannork thai pick up on their soujourns here,

did u id the snakes??

bina

israel

• 4 weeks later...

rice555

Thanks lot please let us know the date for Korat show in Feb Bob. i still try to find milking goats inThailand

Hello captbob, I will post as soon as I can get the date. The magazine that I found the other show two goat shows has adds for goats, stories sheep and sheep breading info and NZ bull sperm. Had a article on small milk processing plant, and one on a yoghurt plant. The cover of the magazine show a guy standing in a grass that the grow for feed. This the first issue I've looked at and only picked it up to look at the goats. from looking at the Mag add showing covers of past issues, it has 'more cow' info usually?? My first copy of this mag. pictures for some of the adds for farms.

rice555

post-37242-1226844671_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226844910_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226845087_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226845284_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226845414_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226845628_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226845959_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1226846120_thumb.jpg

beautiful boer on right hand maggie but is that an alpine on his (or her) left?? the big one with the long horns? he certainly doesnt look boer. btw, boer are meat goats not dairy they have too many nipples and have a very good muscle mass

never saw ads for goats in thailand before... how exciting!!!

Hello Bina, I'm not sure of the snakes names, but most you wouldn't want to get bit by. Since my last post on this thread, 6 more dead ones. I did post on the 'ag show/fairs' that the Korat show 2009 will be Jan. 9-10-11.

I'm not really up on goats and other creatures, but I do look. To day in the http://enews.mcot.net/ they had this story:

World's first boer-black bengal goat twins born in Malaysia Kelantan-state

TANAH MERAH (Malaysia), Nov 20 (Bernama) -- The Kelantan Veterinary Services Department makes world history when it successfully breeds goat hybrid twins by mixing Boer with Black Bengal.

Its director, Dr Mohd Zairi Serlan, Black Bengal goats originated from Bangladesh and had never been exported except to Kelantan when it was presented as a gift to the Kelantan Palace by the Bangladeshi goverment.

"In Malaysia, only Kelantan has that goat species, and we have checked records from all over the world that only we were successful in mix breeding it," he told reporters at the Kampung Domis Royal Project here today.

Tanah Merah (meaning Red Earth or Laterite) is a territory (jajahan) and town in the state of Kelantan in northeast Malaysia.

He said Black Bengal has good fertility characteristics, a high birth or twin rate and easy to fit in to a fertile environment. On average, the species can produce 2.2 offsprings annually, he added.

He said the goat is black, short and its average adult height is 50cm.

Dr Zairi said it was mix-bred with Boer to produce better mix-breed generations called "Hybrid Vogour" to get the genetic advantages from the two species.

"Boer goats, from Australia, are bred for the meat. It has defences against disease threats and has a high growth rate. It has brown fur on the head and neck and white on the body," he said.

He said two Black Bengal does had been mix-bred using young Boer billy through normal mating method on May 10.

"One doe gave birth to a twin -- male and female -- on Oct 9 while the other did not get pregnant," he said.

He said the male kid weighed 1.5kg while the female 1.4kg at birth and their colour were yellowish white.

"The birth of the heavy twins proves that the mix-breeding has potentials as an ordinary Black Bengal offspring normally weigh between 0.8kg and 0.9kg.

"Similarly, the growth rate of the mix-breed is between 50g and 80g per day compared to an ordinary Black Bengal between 35g and 50g," he said.

Dr Zairi said the new breed was expected to live eight years and at the age of one month, it can eat grass compared to an ordinary goat which still requires mother's milk.

He said the department planned to expand the mix-breeding project by introducing a mix-breeding method through artificial insemination and had sent its officers for a six-month training before implementing it.(Bernama)

Today In Asia : Last Update : 12:16:56 20 November 2008 (GMT+7:00)

rice555

• 4 weeks later...
Hi any body got info about somone growing Milk goat in Lupburi Thnks Bob Laos

Hi Capt Bob,

I was in Lopburi last week and while there I searched the internet for information about places to visit and found the following info which may be the place that has goats?? Perhaps you can call them and if they don't have dairy goats perhaps they will know the place that does...

Good luck.

JB (now in Vientiane).

Chai Narai Farm (ไร่ชัยนารายณ์) is located in Chai Narai Sub-district, on Highway No. 21 (Saraburi – Lom Sak). At Km. 64, enter the soi opposite the Nong Tao Community police booth, passing Wat Than Ratthakaram and turn left for approximately 3 kilometres. It is an ecotourism attraction, covering an area of 1,096 rai. Within the compound is a health park, an animal breeding farm such as horses, deer, ostriches, rabbits, fish, an annual plant farm, a herbal garden, a relaxation and entertainment park, comprising of shooting range, horse riding venue, mountain bike ground, food garden, and camping ground. For more information, please contact Tel. 08 1720 3606.

• 2 months later...

i know it has been a while since anyone has posted on here,but is there a breed of sheep in thailand where you can collect there wool.i have only heard of meat sheep.i will be in thailand in july of 2009 .i was wondering because me and the new wife when i get married may raise some to sell.i would appreciate some input.thank you buffaloe.