Cheap Tickets Manila

thaiman

I use Philippine Airlines, They seem to always be cheaper than Thai. You also go to the dedicated Philippine Airline airport terminal in manila (the other terminal is for any other carrier) and everything seems to go quicker such as baggage retrieval and customs etc.

I've recently (less than 2 weeks ago) flown Philippines Air (Bangkok - Manila - Vancouver and back).

Bkk-Mnl was on an A340 (after a delay because they had originally planned on using a 747 but weren't going to be able to fill it so they switched to the smaller capacity plane).

Mnl - Yvr - Mnl was on A340s as well. The return Mnl-Bkk flight on 7 Aug was a 747.

I used PA as I was looking for the cheapest (business class) option to get to Vancouver and back, and to bring my dad from Vancouver (and send him back), without switching planes (and airlines) 3 times for the same trip.

Service was pretty good. We only travelled with carry-on luggage so didn't have to worry about checked bags.

The terminal that PA uses in Manila is pretty small for an international airport. I was kind of surprised by that. Only 6 (international) departure gates, all in a single line. You can walk from the cafe/smoking room (by gate 1) to the massage room just past gate 6 in a couple of minutes.

Security was a titch annoying. Put everything (metallic) into the basket to go through the screener (except for my watch and neck chain). Went through the metal detector, no beep, but they made me go back, take off my shoes and go through the detector again. Despite no beeps the second time (again), they still do a hand pat down (no wands).

Then, when the flight was starting to board, you had to go through all that again (shoes off, everything through the x-ray machine, hand pat down, etc).

Funny though, only certain flights get the extra treatment, as the x-ray machine is only set up at one gate (#2). Our Mnl-Bkk flight was schedule to depart from gate 2, so I warned dad he'd have to take his cowboy boots off again. But then they switched to gate 5 and no extra security check before boarding.

Not much in the way of duty-free inside the departure area either. A souviener/magazine stand, a cigar stand, a couple of snack stands and one place selling perfume/cigarettes/etc. All the stands close down at night sometime, and start reopening around 5:30 in the morning (kind of annoying when you arrive after a 14 hour flight and can't get a cup of coffee or a smoke).

I use Philippine Airlines, They seem to always be cheaper than Thai. You also go to the dedicated Philippine Airline airport terminal in manila (the other terminal is for any other carrier) and everything seems to go quicker such as baggage retrieval and customs etc.

Cebu Pacific recently started flying to/from Manila's 'new' T3.