Applying For Uk And Shengen Visa 10 Months In Advance Of Trip?

hi, i'm planning a UK and Europe trip with the wife next June. she's already visited the USA on a tourist visa which is valid for another 8 years, plus we have money in the bank and all that stuff, so i assume UK and Schengen (sp?) visas will not be a big problem. however, i'd like to get the visa out of the way ASAP.

i've heard the validity is usually 6 months from when they are granted (unlike the US one which is 10 years!) but i wonder, if we show them specific travel plans for June, would they be able to issue visas that start in June, 9 or 10 months from now?

thanks, steve

The UK visa validity can be post-dated by up to 3 months, so perhaps apply for that in or around March 2009. I doubt that an application made now would be entertained as circumstances and law might change in the intervening period.

Scouse.

really, only 3 months! any idea about the schengen visa for the rest of europe?

thanks, steve

The UK visa validity can be post-dated by up to 3 months, so perhaps apply for that in or around March 2009. I doubt that an application made now would be entertained as circumstances and law might change in the intervening period.

Scouse.

really, only 3 months! any idea about the schengen visa for the rest of europe?

thanks, steve

Hi Steve,

It differs per embassy. You best work out where you wish to apply for the Schengen visa first, then check with the relevant embassy. The Dutch embassy in Bangkok post-dated my friend's application (Thai) by 4 months. He applied early May for travel at the end of this week (23rd Aug).

Don't take any comfort in the fact that your wife has a 10 year visa for the USA in her passport with regard to the British embassy and making an application for a visa. After obtaining his Schengen visa from the Dutch embassy, my friend applied for a visitor visa at the British embassy; who took no notice of his just issued Schengen visa and refused on the first application. Only after a second application and additional information was a visitor visa granted.

I may repeat myself here, but in my experience with the British embassy, it would be wise for any applicant to be as detailed and 'over the top' as possible in ANY application. Put anything that might be of relevance in the application. Don't make any assumptions!

By now using the Visa Application Center in Regent House, the visa application process is being handled by an agent. By doing so, you will never have direct contact (unless the applicant is called for interview) with the embassy, or the Visa Clearance Officer. The embassy has removed itself from direct contact with the public (for visa matters). The employees at the Visa Application Center are there to pre-screen the application for the presence of primary documents etc. They take your application, put it in a sealed envelope and take it to the embassy. At the embassy the VCO will grant or refuse a visa on what is in front of him/her, or call in for interview. Do not expect any communication from the embassy to ask for supplementary evidence or information.

The passport is then put back into a sealed envelope and returned to the Visa Application Center, where upon collection you are given the sealed envelope. Only then, when you open the sealed envelope do you find out if the visa has been granted or not.

I hope this has been of some help.

All the best and good luck.

Frm-Bkk