Bts Skytrain Barriers - Ouch!

Familyonthemove

Has anyone heard of any passengers being seriously injured by the barriers on the BTS?

I ask because I received a good whack from one yesterday and was wondering if they can do serious damage?

I think it was the bag I was carrying in front of me that triggered the closing of the barrier - and they've got some power. For those TV members who've played soccer, it was like when you get kicked in the leg by someone who was trying to clear the ball half way up the pitch, but they connected with your leg rather than the ball.

If it had hit my daughter it might have been serious?

Has anyone heard of any passengers being seriously injured by the barriers on the BTS?

I ask because I received a good whack from one yesterday and was wondering if they can do serious damage?

I think it was the bag I was carrying in front of me that triggered the closing of the barrier - and they've got some power. For those TV members who've played soccer, it was like when you get kicked in the leg by someone who was trying to clear the ball half way up the pitch, but they connected with your leg rather than the ball.

If it had hit my daughter it might have been serious?

I am trying to keep a straight face :o , but seriously are concerned that you will no longer be able to produce offspring?

If so, then perhaps it's a good thing that the ticket thingy at the bts hit you in the balls (foot that is)!

..... yes, my wife thought it was funny too. And I'll be fine after the swelling goes down :o

But seriously .... can these barriers cause real injury? I'm concerned about my wife and daughter ..... they've never played footy so they're not used to getting kicked .... and pain is not so funny when it's them and not some daft bloke with a big bag.

..... yes, my wife thought it was funny too. And I'll be fine after the swelling goes down :o

But seriously .... can these barriers cause real injury? I'm concerned about my wife and daughter ..... they've never played footy so they're not used to getting kicked .... and pain is not so funny when it's them and not some daft bloke with a big bag.

Seriously, I would imagine getting hit by the skytrain itself may hurt too, but my wife hasn't played football either.

i was walking on the skywalk from Paragon to Central World earlier this year and they had hung up a banner to the railing for passing cars to see and it was suspended with copper wire with a sharp exposed edge.

I didn't look and a tiny spike of metal sank right into my right forearm creating a three-inch bloody gash and I still have the scar.

Ive been nailed a few times but the worst was a couple of days ago, got nailed super hard right in the groin and almost buckled over from the pain. What made me so angry is I know this and I try to get through as fast as possible to avoid this kind if thing but its obviously not working correctly and still nailed me. As I'm standing there in agony I watch another falang get hit exactly like me! He was angry obviously... I dont normally complain in Thailand because I know they dont give a poop and nothing will be done and it will only make me angry when they try to blow me off but I had to say something. So I walk over to the change/information booth and tell her the problem and she immediately starts to try to tell me how to go through safely and that I need to be quick... I dont usually lose it but I shouted "ITS TOO FAST!". No one will fix it and it will stay the same.

Ive been nailed a few times but the worst was a couple of days ago, got nailed super hard right in the groin and almost buckled over from the pain. What made me so angry is I know this and I try to get through as fast as possible to avoid this kind if thing but its obviously not working correctly and still nailed me. As I'm standing there in agony I watch another falang get hit exactly like me! He was angry obviously... I dont normally complain in Thailand because I know they dont give a poop and nothing will be done and it will only make me angry when they try to blow me off but I had to say something. So I walk over to the change/information booth and tell her the problem and she immediately starts to try to tell me how to go through safely and that I need to be quick... I dont usually lose it but I shouted "ITS TOO FAST!". No one will fix it and it will stay the same.

Complaining to the girl in the booth will not make them change it mate, so move on. You guys sound like you have never been on a subway / skytrain before.

Tip: watch others walk through it without dilly-dattling around stairing at girls / talking to your husband etc, just put your ticket in, walk up close to the gate thingies and then remove your ticket, the gates open, you take half a step and you are through. After a couple of tries you will figure out the rice pace to do this all in one motion.

Hundreds of thousands of people do it everyday without getting injured so stop blaming the bts for your fat a*s.

Yesterday at Asoke subway an Arab family passed through and the father tried to force the pram and got stuck and barriers closed . Lots of screaming (mum) baby okay

u sound surprised there zorro, hang out at the nana bts and this happens about 50 times a day i estimate.

Yes, it's the bag carrying that does it, (you need to lift it up), but the design of the machine is c**p, as the retreival of your swipe card requires you to remove your arm carrying that after you've gone through the barrier. But as suggested, nothing will be done about that, as no one of any significance uses the BTS, (myself included). Ditto pavements in Bangkok.....

The streets of Bangkok are not paved with gold; they're not even paved!

Complaining to the girl in the booth will not make them change it mate, so move on. You guys sound like you have never been on a subway / skytrain before.

Tip: watch others walk through it without dilly-dattling around stairing at girls / talking to your husband etc, just put your ticket in, walk up close to the gate thingies and then remove your ticket, the gates open, you take half a step and you are through. After a couple of tries you will figure out the rice pace to do this all in one motion.

Hundreds of thousands of people do it everyday without getting injured so stop blaming the bts for your fat a*s.

Learn to read mate, I quite clearly stated the situation and that even trying to rush through I got nailed. I use a card that swipes easliy, not the one you have to insert in the machine. The one I was using was obviously broken. I am neither fat nor slow and my reflexes are sharper than yours I can gaurantee. In the 30 seconds I was there 2 people got injured, if I hung around all day I'm sure I would have counted hundreds getting nailed. My point was, when something is broken/hazardous it will not be fixed.

Learn to read mate, I quite clearly stated the situation and that even trying to rush through I got nailed. I use a card that swipes easliy, not the one you have to insert in the machine. The one I was using was obviously broken. I am neither fat nor slow and my reflexes are sharper than yours I can gaurantee. In the 30 seconds I was there 2 people got injured, if I hung around all day I'm sure I would have counted hundreds getting nailed. My point was, when something is broken/hazardous it will not be fixed.

As someone who uses both the skytrain and subway almost every day, I can say with confidence that the skytrain barrier closes too fast in general (it has gotten me on several occasions) and will def. get you if you have a bag in front. The subway barrier is timed perfectly, and I have never had an issue with or without a bag.

Yup, I agree with all the above, serious and not :D

Designing and specifying these systems is my business and I agree the BTS gates are much too enthusiastic. I had nothing to do with them, honest (OK so I was on the installation team).

The main problem is lack of sensors, the 'tailgating' algorithm can only do so much with the limited data available, it sees any form of bag as an attempt to get two people through on one ticket. There are even signs telling you to lift your bag above the sensors so you don't get nipped so often. The machines we installed in Seoul, KL and Hongkong were far better having many more sensors (the Seoul units could even detect a child with its parent and not close) but were deemed too costly by the Bangkok project, you really do get what you pay for.

The gates installed in the Metro are far better (different supplier and newer technology), although IMPO (In My Professional Opinion) are not ideal, they can still bite if they see a bag in the aisle. Actually the Token Vending Machines are the weak part on the Metro, WAY too slow giving out the change :o

Edited by Crossy

I use the BTS all the time and i'm constantly amazed at the pride the Thais take in it. They are always polishing it.

In my opinion things don't remain broken up there for long.

As someone who uses both the skytrain and subway almost every day, I can say with confidence that the skytrain barrier closes too fast in general (it has gotten me on several occasions) and will def. get you if you have a bag in front. The subway barrier is timed perfectly, and I have never had an issue with or without a bag.

Guys, my point is if the barrier is too fast and hits you if you have a bag in front of you or catches your bag if you have it behind you, then do like others and hold your bags above the whole thing as you pass through. It's called adaptation.

Complaining on TV is not going to change things, you may try the letter section of the BK Post or Nation wherein you will be joined by other farangs bitch*ng about no English commentary on football, no English menus at McDonalds but ok, if you feel better that you have vented great. I suggest taking it up with the current PM as he was the one in charge when the BTS was ordered.

Got nailed a couple of times in the groin, the agony is unbearable.

Now I swing through it using my arms as leverage - I call it the monkey move.

It looks pretty retarded but at least I preserve & protect the jewels.

After reading the above posts I've had another look at the barriers ... Once you scan your pass or ticket they seem to stay open until something passes through them. So there's no hurry to get through after swiping the pass ... which was my first mistake. Then, as mentioned, you need carry any bags over them or behind you ... you also need to keep you hands out of the way, as a stray hand will trigger a close. Which does you mean you need to proceed nuts-first unless you go through backwards!

Also, the barriers are reversable - so they can be swapped from in to out depending on the flow. If you go through an 'inward' barrier that's been swapped to act as a peak time 'outward' barrier .... or visa-versa ... the barrier position is about 6 inches further away from the detector location, as the barriers are not in the centre of the walk-way. So this may increase the risk of accidental castration.

- This may be the answer to the thread "why are there so many ladyboys in Bangkok?