Great Places To Drink In Pattaya

Crow Boy

In parallel to the Great Places to Eat in Pattaya thread I am starting up this one. I did this because there are the well known drinking places but as a recent arrival in town I am looking for other places to enjoy a few beers.

But first some basic rules:

1) the opinions expressed are personal - what is a great bar for one may be so so for another. Make allowance for differences in taste and experience.

2) I will not allow blatant advertising or spamming by or for business owners.

3) The rules of Thai Visa re acceptable behaviour apply as always. You all know them and if you are unsure they can be found here

So where are your favourite places for a drink?

CB

Witherspoons is one of my first stop off to meet the lads.A few games of pool then off to central pattaya and then we try and go to bars that we have never been before so not got any favourites realy.We are starting to prefer north pattaya and usualy start at u2 bar,second rd near soi 4.

One of the reasons for my starting this post is that I tend to go to the same places - not sure if it is genetic or laziness, could be genetic laziness :D

Now I am starting to wander around more as I get to know more places and how to get home afterwards :o

Last weekend I went to one of my usual bars for a couple of beers and to watch the Australian Football (AFL) - watched the first half and was told by the owner that ALL the televisions would be changed over to the opening match of the English Premier League. Ok my thought was leave one tv on the AFL for the last half and switch the rest but apparently that wasn't allowed.

I check binned and walked out - next thing I found that so had another six Aussie expats who didn't know where to go to see the game. Now I know there are plenty of Oz bars in Pattaya but we ended up at the Boxing Roo on Third Road opposite Xcite nightclub. The bar will probably not fit into the top ten bars in Thailand but we had a great time there. Good fun with the footy and then stayed to watch the Rugby Union between NZ and South Africa.

After that I wandered down to Walking Street and popped into seem Lam Morrison play. Watched the first band and enjoyed them - good stuff and stayed for Lam. After that things seemed to go down hill and I will stop right now :D

Cheers

CB

I'm not into the go go/beer bar scene at all so usually hang out at the Thai Pubs/Clubs.. Differ, The Cottage, Noir.. Pattaya nightlife doesn't seem as good as it was a few years ago, so I prefer to go to Bangkok for nightlife these days..

One of the reasons for my starting this post is that I tend to go to the same places - not sure if it is genetic or laziness, could be genetic laziness :D

Now I am starting to wander around more as I get to know more places and how to get home afterwards :o

Last weekend I went to one of my usual bars for a couple of beers and to watch the Australian Football (AFL) - watched the first half and was told by the owner that ALL the televisions would be changed over to the opening match of the English Premier League. Ok my thought was leave one tv on the AFL for the last half and switch the rest but apparently that wasn't allowed.

I check binned and walked out - next thing I found that so had another six Aussie expats who didn't know where to go to see the game. Now I know there are plenty of Oz bars in Pattaya but we ended up at the Boxing Roo on Third Road opposite Xcite nightclub. The bar will probably not fit into the top ten bars in Thailand but we had a great time there. Good fun with the footy and then stayed to watch the Rugby Union between NZ and South Africa.

After that I wandered down to Walking Street and popped into seem Lam Morrison play. Watched the first band and enjoyed them - good stuff and stayed for Lam. After that things seemed to go down hill and I will stop right now :D

Cheers

CB

Do tell. :D:D

Fantasy Bar - Jomtien Complex.

Small beers/a glass of red for 40 baht, and an impressive selection of other drinks.

The bar is airconditioned and have barstoles and leather sofas

Edited by bergen

Small beers/a glass of red for 40 baht, and an impressive selection of other drinks.

This is actually my local after work. As Bergen points out in his post above the standard drinks are 40baht all the time ie not just a happy hour deal.

Shots of sambucca, tequila etc are also 40baht making the place a bargain.

There is a lot of construction going on just outside so it looks like the place is closed. The entrance is semi covered but easy to find. I used to sit outside with friends who smoke but now enjoy being inside in the cool with the A/C.

Smoking is allowed in the "interestingly decorated" upstairs area which also has leather sofas etc.

As an aside, next door makes great pizza that deliver to the bar - prepay or when delivered. Price is about 200baht for a decent sized pepperoni pizza.

The bar has a selection of cigars - not sure if they have to be smoked outside or allowed upstairs. One of the guys I know who drinks there regularly said that the girls enjoy smoking them but I have absolutely no idea what he means because I have lead a very sheltered life.

CB

I would add my best place for cheap drinks in the nighlife area is in soi 8, Sailors Bar....20baht for a Thai whisky and 55baht for a voda....also has cheap and pretty good food.

If you are looking for value hard to pass.

Must admit I'm same as many others, a thousand bars to choose from and I frequent around six.

Do not particularly like those Irish theme pubs. Why somebody would fly halfway round the world to Thailand to sit in an air conditioned Irish style bar beats the sh1t out of me but then different strokes for different folks. I do go in one or two occassionally to meet up with friends, recently it's been Jamesons and Shennigans but for me they aren't my idea of R&R.

Beer bars are more my style but the three I use most are Nids (next to Tims), Three Ladies (soi 13/2) and Tuks (soi 13/1) purely because I am long time friends with the owners. Wonderful bar (corner soi 13/1 and 2nd road) I like for a morning naam sodahs while I read the Bangkok Post sometimes going to a breakfast beers depending on how late "breakfast" is or how much I need a heart starter.

Gogo bars, there are only two I use, TQ's (if you need directions you aint been to Pattaya) and Tims (2nd road).

Last trip I took to having lunch and a few beers in the afternoon at the Pattaya Beer Garden and must say it is a very pleasant place to spend a couple of hours watching the tide come in. Visited early one evening and it was pretty quiet but it is the low season.

No R&R to Pattaya is ever complete without a visit to Jenny Star Bar to witness the dance styles of those two TV stalwarts <names withheld pending payment of hush fund> plus the antics of the passing Korean and Chinese tourists.

Last time I was there I thought "right I must get out and about and get in some new places" but after meandering around a couple of hours just found myself back at the usual haunts. I don't much like enclosed places as I enjoy my favourite pastime of people watching so choose places from which I can see the street.

I agree with PhilHarries, so many bars and so few worth bothering with. And again why come to Pattaya and Bangkok to drink in overpriced 'faux' Irish or British bars, but sadly this type of place sems to succeed.

Try the afternoon session at the Nervous Wreck in Soi Yamato, with the most gentlemanly bar-owner in town! He is only an occasional piss artist, and a friendly one at that.

This is actually my local after work. As Bergen points out in his post above the standard drinks are 40baht all the time ie not just a happy hour deal.

Shots of sambucca, tequila etc are also 40baht making the place a bargain.

There is a lot of construction going on just outside so it looks like the place is closed. The entrance is semi covered but easy to find. I used to sit outside with friends who smoke but now enjoy being inside in the cool with the A/C.

Smoking is allowed in the "interestingly decorated" upstairs area which also has leather sofas etc.

As an aside, next door makes great pizza that deliver to the bar - prepay or when delivered. Price is about 200baht for a decent sized pepperoni pizza.

The bar has a selection of cigars - not sure if they have to be smoked outside or allowed upstairs. One of the guys I know who drinks there regularly said that the girls enjoy smoking them but I have absolutely no idea what he means because I have lead a very sheltered life.

CB

I've always had a good time in Fantasy.

I was talking to one of the girls (staff) once and she ensured me she did'nt drink alcohol...........

nor did she smoke :o ..................but when i raised my eyebrow, she quickly withdraw the last statement :D

One of the reasons for my starting this post is that I tend to go to the same places - not sure if it is genetic or laziness, could be genetic laziness :(

Cheers

CB

Do tell. :D:D

PM me if you don't want to discuss it on here. :D

After that I wandered down to Walking Street and popped into seem Lam Morrison play. Watched the first band and enjoyed them - good stuff and stayed for Lam. After that things seemed to go down hill and I will stop right now :o

I reread my post and realised it was a bit cryptic. I had a great time watching the bands and it was great to see Lam play. I had heard a lot about him but not seen him before. It was interesting for me to compare him to Tuk who is the guitar master in residence in Chiang Mai. Liked the bar and had a great time watching the shows.

What I meant to say was that AFTER the shows I left the Blues Factory and wandered into a series of places on and off Walking Street and things seemed to go down hill in terms of my ability to negotiate my way while standing up right due to an obscene amount of alcohol. Somehow I ended up in a blue lit room where apparently my beer cost 250baht let alone the minuscule glass of orange juice that a stunning young lady persuade me to buy her. I left the place and caught a motorcy taxi home and the driver managed to run the bike into the back of a baht bus. I got off, found another one and ended up in Burger King at sunrise.

Pretty standard night really

:D

CB

After that I wandered down to Walking Street and popped into seem Lam Morrison play. Watched the first band and enjoyed them - good stuff and stayed for Lam. After that things seemed to go down hill and I will stop right now :o

I reread my post and realised it was a bit cryptic. I had a great time watching the bands and it was great to see Lam play. I had heard a lot about him but not seen him before. It was interesting for me to compare him to Tuk who is the guitar master in residence in Chiang Mai. Liked the bar and had a great time watching the shows.

What I meant to say was that AFTER the shows I left the Blues Factory and wandered into a series of places on and off Walking Street and things seemed to go down hill in terms of my ability to negotiate my way while standing up right due to an obscene amount of alcohol. Somehow I ended up in a blue lit room where apparently my beer cost 250baht let alone the minuscule glass of orange juice that a stunning young lady persuade me to buy her. I left the place and caught a motorcy taxi home and the driver managed to run the bike into the back of a baht bus. I got off, found another one and ended up in Burger King at sunrise.

Pretty standard night really :D

CB

:D Sounds like a normal Pattaya night too me.

Edited by Crow Boy

Cheers

CB

For sport try the Clinic bar on Soi Yamato they have 5 TVs and use a projector screen for big events

(only at night it's to bright for the projector to work properly in daylight), the owners/managers are only to happy to set up a TV for any specific sporting event if it's broadcast in Thai land I've watched Aussie Rules and Rugby League there whilst others watched English Premier League.

Derek and Mel are nice guys Too.

Hope this helps

lilBob :D

Must admit I'm same as many others, a thousand bars to choose from and I frequent around six.

Do not particularly like those Irish theme pubs. Why somebody would fly halfway round the world to Thailand to sit in an air conditioned Irish style bar beats the sh1t out of me but then different strokes for different folks. I do go in one or two occassionally to meet up with friends, recently it's been Jamesons and Shennigans but for me they aren't my idea of R&R.

Beer bars are more my style but the three I use most are Nids (next to Tims), Three Ladies (soi 13/2) and Tuks (soi 13/1) purely because I am long time friends with the owners. Wonderful bar (corner soi 13/1 and 2nd road) I like for a morning naam sodahs while I read the Bangkok Post sometimes going to a breakfast beers depending on how late "breakfast" is or how much I need a heart starter.

Gogo bars, there are only two I use, TQ's (if you need directions you aint been to Pattaya) and Tims (2nd road).

Last trip I took to having lunch and a few beers in the afternoon at the Pattaya Beer Garden and must say it is a very pleasant place to spend a couple of hours watching the tide come in. Visited early one evening and it was pretty quiet but it is the low season.

No R&R to Pattaya is ever complete without a visit to Jenny Star Bar to witness the dance styles of those two TV stalwarts <names withheld pending payment of hush fund> plus the antics of the passing Korean and Chinese tourists.

Last time I was there I thought "right I must get out and about and get in some new places" but after meandering around a couple of hours just found myself back at the usual haunts. I don't much like enclosed places as I enjoy my favourite pastime of people watching so choose places from which I can see the street.

I don't agree with all your suggestions as follows

TQ- always seems very crowded and drink prices expensive ie Jack and Coke 120Bht

Tim Bar- They use Thai size measures for their shorts which short changes the drinker as we are all used to full measures which is not the Thai measures. When I order a Jack and Coke I want to taste the Jack. When I visit Tims (only to accompany friends) I stick to beer.

On a positive note I totally agree that the Pattaya Beer Garden is a good spot (i'd actually say great). I like the location, view over the bay (at times nice sea breezes) good drink prices, good food, the music is played on 4 large video screens and at a volume that allows conversation.

I don't frequent walking street It's to crowded to many drunks about and the mere sight of those Police Volunteer wanke_rs offend my sensitivities also to many tourists.

I have no interest in any businesses in Thailand nor any particular bitch on any particular establishment.

My 2 bahts worth

Regards to all lilBob :o