Windows Cannot Find....

Thai Chi

Any ideas about the following message that pops up when I click on either the C or D drive icon in the "My Computer" folder.

"Windows cannot find autorun.exe. make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file click the start button......"

When I do a search for the supposedly missing file it tells me that it is there... AUTORUN.EXE-055703AF.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.

I have been running this computer unchanged for about 2 years. I would probably click on either or both C and D drive icons most days. I can still access the 2 drives by right clicking and selecting the "open" option.

Another possibly intresting thing that shows in the properties for the autorun exe folder is that its telling me that this file was :

created..... Friday, 8 August 2008, 1:48:38 PM

modified....Friday, 8 August 2008, 1:48:38 PM

accessed.....Today, 19 August 2008, 6:31:59 PM

How / why would this file be created 11 days ago when the system has been unchanged for so long :o

Any suggestions :D

Might look at this > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153981

Basically, make sure there is not a file called autorun.inf in the root directory of the C and D drives.

Thanks for the link Tywais.

No autorun.inf in either drives root directory :o So the problem persists.

However, whilst checking out the Device Manager, I noticed that I have "write caching" enabled. It states that "...... a power outage can cause data loss or corruption" And I remember that yesterday there was an outage whilst the computer was on. So it is possible that this is what has caused the non responsive Icons ????

Any thoughts along those lines :D

When I do a search for the supposedly missing file it tells me that it is there... AUTORUN.EXE-055703AF.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.

Any suggestions :o

I haven't used explorer in years (file managers like FreeCommander are so much better), but I'd say tet rid of that file and anything else with autorun on C and D. Clean out your box with CCleaner. Right-click on the C and D icons, choose Properties, and if the icons are linked to anything; if so, remove the links.

Any suggestions :D

I haven't used explorer in years (file managers like FreeCommander are so much better), but I'd say tet rid of that file and anything else with autorun on C and D. Clean out your box with CCleaner. Right-click on the C and D icons, choose Properties, and if the icons are linked to anything; if so, remove the links.

Thanks JSixpack. I tried that to no avail :o

I am using cc cleaner.

Right clicking either drive and selecting properties will only bring up the "general / tools / hardware etc etc dialog box"

Not sure how to see if drive icons are linked to anything else ???

All very intresting :D