Anyone Recommend A Good Bank?

I have been with Standard Chartered for a while (Sathorn Branch), but even by Thai standards they have been remarkable incompetent. They 'lost' my account, they 'mislaid' a 120,000 bt transfer, they gave bank transaction details without establishing identity, they never returned calls etc etc. The list goes on and on.

After management said 'they would look into it... <blah blah>' and then the money mysteriously appeared in the account the next day (with no explanation), I think it is time for me to move. I honestly dont feel safe leaving my hard-earned there any more.

Anyone had good experience with a bank here that I can think about?

D

Siam Commercial probably better than the Bangkok Bank now. The Bankok Banks atm machines are nearly always on the blink. I'm with them but I got fed up with the atms and so always use another banks. The bank of Ayudhaya always gives slightly more on the foreign exchangre rates if thats an issue .

Im very happy with Kasikorn Bank. I use them private and for my business. They issue a Visa Classic ATM Card, a nice E-banking solutions with OTP on SMS. You can also apply for CC if u have a WP.

Everything is a lot easier with K-Bank comparing with Audthaya Bank, as I used before.

Recommened!

I, like most people in Thailand have a few accounts with different banks. Although the KTB (Krung Thai Bank) offers zero interest for farang, their service has improved greatly over the past 18 months.

They offer a visa-debit gold card which is accepted almost everywhere including a 50,000 baht per day ATM limit. A monthly statement keeps you up-to-date with purchases and expenditure and it works well on the internet. TIP pay 150 baht extra for a photo-card.

If you bank with Lloyds TSB it is good for transfers, just 2/3 days.

All Thai banks have their fans and their enemies. Open three accounts and decide which suits your needs as you primary bank.

I think Siam Commercial and Bangkok Bank are the top two in my opinion.

Siam Commercial offers many different programs such as insurance but their account fees are higher. They also seem more flexible in opening new accounts for Farang.

Bangkok Bank has lower account fees AND, this is big for me, they have a branch in the USA which I can transfer money through from my USA bank. I just use the routing number of the New York bank and my account number from my Thailand bank account and within 2 days, the money shows up in my account in Thailand. No transfer fees etc. (unlike wire transfers) to move money to my Thai based account. In my hometown, BKK Bank was offering a 3.8%, 5 month CD like program and when I went to transfer my money into it the usual "inflexible" male bank officer said I couldn't do it unless I jumped through 20 hoops. I told him I am already and account holder and just want to transfer into the program....to which he was pretty surly about the whole thing....so I just walked out. Other than that dude, I have received good service with BKK Bank.

I'm not sure if SBC has an American branch that can do the same thing or not.

My wife (Thai) just opened an account with SCB because of a life insurance promotion she liked. Generally speaking it was/is an attractive offer as life insurance goes. they also have a health insurance option available too.

There's my 50 Satung's worth!....lol.

Martian

Edited by Martian