Brazilian Music, Latin, Reggae, Northern Soul In Bangkok

Paulinho

Hi,

I am a long term fan of Brazilian, latin, reggae and soul / funk music; Strangely in this city of nightlife and clubbing, I can't seem to find anywhere that plays it.

Is this an opportunity? Should I pull out my collection of old rare 60s and 70s tunes, and open a club?

Interested to hear from others on this topic

Cheers,

Paulinho

There's a very good bar on Thong Lor which plays a great deal of what used to be loosely described as 'Acid Jazz.' Kind of Giles Peterson/Norman Jay on a good day kind of stuff if you know what I mean. They're even flogging old Gil Scott-Heron albums on vinyl. Unusual place by BKK standards. Can't for the life of me remember precisely what it's called, but it's Retro something or other and it's on one of the very small sois not too far after Soi 10 on the right (if you're coming from Sukhumvit towards Petchaburi). I'll ask the people I went with last time and post the exact location if no-one else can help out.

mk

A couple of years ago I was taken, by a big Elvis fan, to Radio City in Patpong to see the Elvis impersonator there. Afterward we walked to a nearby latin-themed bar. Can't remember the name but is was pretty big and loud with open frontages so you should be able to home in on it by ear.

K.

Check out:

Teddy Ska, performing most nights at the Brick Bar, in back of Buddy Lodge, Khao San Rd.

T-Bone (ska and reggae), every Fri night at Saxophone Pub, Victory Monument.

ska band at Park 3, Suk Soi 66, every saturday night (late); I forget this band's name but they're excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
The answer to your question is...it's an opportunity!

I would love to play my old tunes again to an appreciative audience.

My Top Five played to death Jazz Funk & Funk tunes from the 80's (not in order of preference)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1M_KZaSTU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGQxDilcNhc

Interesting selection - you must have been a white sock soul boy?! Goldmine?

Have you tried anywhere in BKK ?

Paul

Check out:

Teddy Ska, performing most nights at the Brick Bar, in back of Buddy Lodge, Khao San Rd.

T-Bone (ska and reggae), every Fri night at Saxophone Pub, Victory Monument.

ska band at Park 3, Suk Soi 66, every saturday night (late); I forget this band's name but they're excellent.

Sounds worth a visit. I'll be in Bangkok in a couple of weeks so I shall check these out - Park 3 is close.

I used to go to a place called St Moritz run by Gaz Mayall in London (gaz's rockin blues) -- maybe these Ska outfits will bring back those memories!

When did you last visit any of these venues?

P

A couple of years ago I was taken, by a big Elvis fan, to Radio City in Patpong to see the Elvis impersonator there. Afterward we walked to a nearby latin-themed bar. Can't remember the name but is was pretty big and loud with open frontages so you should be able to home in on it by ear.

K.

Thanks, Phaethon. I am not sure how well tuned my ears are to make out afro-cuban rhythms in Patpong... I guess you can't remember which direction / where?!?!

P

There's a very good bar on Thong Lor which plays a great deal of what used to be loosely described as 'Acid Jazz.' Kind of Giles Peterson/Norman Jay on a good day kind of stuff if you know what I mean. They're even flogging old Gil Scott-Heron albums on vinyl. Unusual place by BKK standards. Can't for the life of me remember precisely what it's called, but it's Retro something or other and it's on one of the very small sois not too far after Soi 10 on the right (if you're coming from Sukhumvit towards Petchaburi). I'll ask the people I went with last time and post the exact location if no-one else can help out.

mk

Ah, I know it. Yes, I know what you mean, I used to go to Dingwalls back in the day, and Bass Clef, so I spent many a year at Giles/Norman's dos in the UK.... I know the bar you are talking about it's near where I live - Shades of Retro?

Interesting place, and yes they are selling vinyl, which was a nice suprise. Bit small as a venue for a club, but nice to hang out.

Anywhere else you have checked?

P

My Top Five played to death Jazz Funk & Funk tunes from the 80's (not in order of preference)

Paul

The Royality, Southgate, the Barn in Braintree and The Tartan House, Frinton were my haunts.

I would not expect tunes of this old school calibre to be played in BKK...only a few cheesy disco floorfillers from the same era maybe?... but if you find somewhere, the at would be cool!

mk

Ah, I know it. Yes, I know what you mean, I used to go to Dingwalls back in the day, and Bass Clef, so I spent many a year at Giles/Norman's dos in the UK.... I know the bar you are talking about it's near where I live - Shades of Retro?

Interesting place, and yes they are selling vinyl, which was a nice suprise. Bit small as a venue for a club, but nice to hang out.

P

Yeah, Shades of Retro, that's the place. I've got to say I was pretty impressed the first time I was in there and the DJ played Patti Jo's version of Curtis Mayfield's 'Make Me Believe in You.' Love that tune. Although, having said that, I was there a couple of weeks back (after I made the above post) and some other guy was playing Credence Clearwater Revival, Hendrix and Love all night. Something for everyone apparently. Can't say I've found anywhere that comes close to this place, although those ska nights Sabaijai mentioned sound pretty interesting. Sounds like we may well have run in similar circles back in the day. Any of these familiar to you? All were run by good friends of mine and I was involved with all of them to some degree or other: Family Funktion; Shake & Fingerpop; Westworld; Quiet Storm; Enter the Dragon; Choice at Subterrania...

mk

Can only really help with the reggae scene.... I believe BKK has only two regular reggae club nights;

1) "Reggae in Thailand", next event is Reggae in Thailand vol. 12, Sat 27th September @ Glow Club, Sukhumvit 23. Entry 200B/incl. one drink/free CD. Usual line up is Djs Jun, Go & Ma (JAPAN) and DJ Spydamonkee (pretty famous Thai turntablist) plus a couple of half decent MCs from UK/US and often a floor dancer too. Authentic dancehall style, can be quite fun, plenty of ppl @ last 2 events. Playing everything from rocksteady/roots/early dancehall/modern dancehall reggae. Youngish party crowd, including many Japanese and Thais. IMO the best reggae night available in Thailand. http://www.glowbkk.com/

**Glow Club also has Reggaeton, Salsaton, Latino Hip night sometimes, on Tuesdays.

2) "Reggae Showcase", Sundays @ Club 808, RCA, Rama 9 Road. DJ Katsuji plays rocksteady, reggae, roots. Not sure of next event date. http://www.808bangkok.com/

There is plenty of Thai Ska/Reggae/Jazz - T-Bone (more ska and jazz beats than reggae really), Job 2 Do (ska/reggae), Kaijo Brothers (reggae/ska/soul/hiphop fusion & excellent fun live!), Teddy Ska Band, Tamone (ska with lots of brass).... just to name a few of the popular groups.

Most of them have regular gigs around BKK - check myspace.com and you will find all these bands and their gig dates, although they most often play in Khao San Road area, and usually in the Brick Bar (at the back of the Buddy Lodge behind McDonalds) or somewhere in Soi Rambutri (behind the temple near Khao San). T-Bone also play regularly at Saxophone Pub (Victory Monument area).

Also in Khao San area, in a little back alley between Khao San and Ratchadamnoen road is the long running chilled out and low-key Reggae Bar, which actually plays nice conscious reggae you won't usually hear in Thailand, plus drinks are cheap.

The ska band at the Brick is ok, been there afew times. It get reptitive though.

How much is Grooverider???

Agreed on Ska at the Brick. Some of the Thai ska does get a bit much for me, too. Nice once in a while tho.

Er. As for the Groove rider Vs T-Bone 20 Sep, Central World Plaza, free I believe (Panasonic promotion?). Not sure at all who Groove rider is myself, although they are a Thai band, please don't be confused with drum'n'bass maestro DJ Grooverider :o I heard T-Bone play earlier in the year in front of Central World, got the crowd going and was fun to see.

• 3 weeks later...
Can only really help with the reggae scene.... I believe BKK has only two regular reggae club nights;

1) "Reggae in Thailand", next event is Reggae in Thailand vol. 12, Sat 27th September @ Glow Club, Sukhumvit 23. Entry 200B/incl. one drink/free CD. Usual line up is Djs Jun, Go & Ma (JAPAN) and DJ Spydamonkee (pretty famous Thai turntablist) plus a couple of half decent MCs from UK/US and often a floor dancer too. Authentic dancehall style, can be quite fun, plenty of ppl @ last 2 events. Playing everything from rocksteady/roots/early dancehall/modern dancehall reggae. Youngish party crowd, including many Japanese and Thais. IMO the best reggae night available in Thailand. http://www.glowbkk.com/

**Glow Club also has Reggaeton, Salsaton, Latino Hip night sometimes, on Tuesdays.

2) "Reggae Showcase", Sundays @ Club 808, RCA, Rama 9 Road. DJ Katsuji plays rocksteady, reggae, roots. Not sure of next event date. http://www.808bangkok.com/

There is plenty of Thai Ska/Reggae/Jazz - T-Bone (more ska and jazz beats than reggae really), Job 2 Do (ska/reggae), Kaijo Brothers (reggae/ska/soul/hiphop fusion & excellent fun live!), Teddy Ska Band, Tamone (ska with lots of brass).... just to name a few of the popular groups.

Most of them have regular gigs around BKK - check myspace.com and you will find all these bands and their gig dates, although they most often play in Khao San Road area, and usually in the Brick Bar (at the back of the Buddy Lodge behind McDonalds) or somewhere in Soi Rambutri (behind the temple near Khao San). T-Bone also play regularly at Saxophone Pub (Victory Monument area).

Also in Khao San area, in a little back alley between Khao San and Ratchadamnoen road is the long running chilled out and low-key Reggae Bar, which actually plays nice conscious reggae you won't usually hear in Thailand, plus drinks are cheap.

Many thanks, road2dharma --- I will 'reach' !

mk

P

Yeah, Shades of Retro, that's the place. I've got to say I was pretty impressed the first time I was in there and the DJ played Patti Jo's version of Curtis Mayfield's 'Make Me Believe in You.' Love that tune. Although, having said that, I was there a couple of weeks back (after I made the above post) and some other guy was playing Credence Clearwater Revival, Hendrix and Love all night. Something for everyone apparently. Can't say I've found anywhere that comes close to this place, although those ska nights Sabaijai mentioned sound pretty interesting. Sounds like we may well have run in similar circles back in the day. Any of these familiar to you? All were run by good friends of mine and I was involved with all of them to some degree or other: Family Funktion; Shake & Fingerpop; Westworld; Quiet Storm; Enter the Dragon; Choice at Subterrania...

mk

Yes, I remember going to a shake and fingerpop warehouse party... but was it in old street,,, or is my memory fading... Remember 'do at the zoo' ? ?

We should meet up and reminisce....

Paul

The Royality, Southgate, the Barn in Braintree and The Tartan House, Frinton were my haunts.

I would not expect tunes of this old school calibre to be played in BKK...only a few cheesy disco floorfillers from the same era maybe?... but if you find somewhere, the at would be cool!

So did you know Leroy and the boys?

Dom?

I DJ'd at the Barn once....

Small world....

Yes, I remember going to a shake and fingerpop warehouse party... but was it in old street,,, or is my memory fading... Remember 'do at the zoo' ? ?

Yeah, pretty sure there was one in Old Street. They were all over the place really. Many of them out west around Westway/Grove/Harrow Road etc. 'Do at the Zoo' - was that the Bobby and Steve thing? Yeah, we should hook up. You still living around Thong Lor? We could have a London soul patrol/rare groove reminisincence night at Shades if you fancy it. Seems like an appropriate venue. Dig out your old Greg Edwards and Robbie Vincent tapes...

mk

Yeah, pretty sure there was one in Old Street. They were all over the place really. Many of them out west around Westway/Grove/Harrow Road etc. 'Do at the Zoo' - was that the Bobby and Steve thing? Yeah, we should hook up. You still living around Thong Lor? We could have a London soul patrol/rare groove reminisincence night at Shades if you fancy it. Seems like an appropriate venue. Dig out your old Greg Edwards and Robbie Vincent tapes...

mk

Ah yes, I think I remember being under the Westway at one on a dark winter's night... Do @ the Zoo --- Was it them? 1988 -- The usual 1 room playing Phuture, the other playing Dom Um Romao et. al with Gilles... You'd get frustrated working out which room to stay in.... Ha...Robbie....

Yes, let's do that. PM me and we'll swap info.

Yes still here -- probably have to swim to get my lunch with this storm

P

Ah yes, I think I remember being under the Westway at one on a dark winter's night... Do @ the Zoo --- Was it them? 1988 -- The usual 1 room playing Phuture, the other playing Dom Um Romao et. al with Gilles... You'd get frustrated working out which room to stay in.... Ha...Robbie....

P

Awww, don't get me started on '88 - Monday at Spectrum, Tuesday at Shoom, Wednesday at Myami, Thursday at Future, Friday at Trip or Enter the Dragon. hel_l of a year that was. Will definitely PM you next time we hit Shades. Should be soon...

mk

P

Awww, don't get me started on '88 - Monday at Spectrum, Tuesday at Shoom, Wednesday at Myami, Thursday at Future, Friday at Trip or Enter the Dragon. hel_l of a year that was. Will definitely PM you next time we hit Shades. Should be soon...

mk

Ah Spectrum.... Remember the flyers for Spectrum? Got you excited just looking at them. Yes, the weeks were just packed with nights. Amazing times.

OK do that!

P

Ah Spectrum.... Remember the flyers for Spectrum? Got you excited just looking at them. Yes, the weeks were just packed with nights. Amazing times.

P

I do indeed. I have a copy of that flyer right here, but don't want to post it for fear of some copyright nightmare. One of my funniest memories of that year was being at 'Wetworld' (the swimming pool equivalent of the 'Westworld' warehouse parties) at the Fulham Swimming Baths and sitting in the sauna with a few of my Jamaican mates. One of them chucked an eighth of 'rocky' on the coals. Needless to say the consequences were fairly predictible...

P

I do indeed. I have a copy of that flyer right here, but don't want to post it for fear of some copyright nightmare. One of my funniest memories of that year was being at 'Wetworld' (the swimming pool equivalent of the 'Westworld' warehouse parties) at the Fulham Swimming Baths and sitting in the sauna with a few of my Jamaican mates. One of them chucked an eighth of 'rocky' on the coals. Needless to say the consequences were fairly predictible...

Ah dear, I can imagine. How long did you stay in there? Eight of rocky, a term from the past.

http://hyperreal.org/raves/database/gallery/f198804.html

My sister can sing jazz and some brazilian music like "girl from ipenama", Maria Bethania's, Roberta Carlos', 'Bossa Nova', samba, etc.

If you want funk, I got some old paliament/funkadelic 8 tracks to sell you. hehe