Can You Still Live In Thailand After Reading This?

vrsushi

Just read this today, http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D92KLN780.htm

Can you still live in Thailand after reading this?

Half of all food produced on farms near 70% of all cities in the developing world don't have access to water so they irrigate thier crops with untreated human waste.

Surely this includes Thailnd.

I really wonder if I can now live in a developing country. I mean, drop a lettuce in your, no, another man's toilet, wash it off then serve it up. Could you eat it?

I'm looking forward to the posters who will say, "hey, don't worry about it, I've never been sick" but really? You don't mind?

I love living in Asia, but not at the expense of eating a daily diet of Somchai shi.t.

Any farmers out there like to enlighten us as to how widespread this is in Thailand.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just read this today, http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D92KLN780.htm

Half of all food produced on farms near 70% of all cities in the developing world don't have access to water so they irrigate thier crops with untreated human waste.

I really wonder if I can now live in a developing country. I mean, drop a lettuce in your, no, another man's toilet, wash it off then serve it up. Could you eat it?

I'm looking forward to the posters who will say, "hey, don't worry about it, I've never been sick" but really? You don't mind?

I love living in Asia, but not at the expense of eating a daily diet of Somchai shi.t.

Any farmers out there like to enlighten us as to how widespread this is in Thailand.

So I guess cow or chicken manure doesn't bother you. If you look around Thailand (farm areas), there isn't a general shortage of water.

short answer , yes, i can live here after reading that.

ghana and thailand are hardly neighbors last i checked.

making this relavent to thailand is a bit of a reach don't you think?

hey, don´t worry about it.

I prefer to eat Richards shi.t

Well, I've seen human waste being spread on veggies here in Vietnam and seen them wash the salad in a puddle by the side of the road. So what? I wash my raw produce very well, just as I would do in Europe. Do you really for one second believe that the stuff you get back home (wherever that is) is always squeaky clean?

I have a master degree in food technology and worked in several factories and I tell you thats the last thing you should be serious about....

Human waste or the oil with heavy metal additive.....I take the human waste

Human shi*t or mouse/rat shi*t.....hmm difficult but if I get the complete rat mixed in the chocolate I take the rat :o protein.

almost finished chicken in their eggs are also very common in products with eggs :D

It's a little something known as fertilizer mate. If a bit of shi.t makes my carrots crunchier, then may the farmers pooh to their hearts content.

I used to take a poo on my Rhubarb patch :o . people used to come from miles around to buy this stuff, they couldnt get enough of it. Funnly enough, I never used to eat it.

I heard that there is even poo on everyones toothbrush. something about small particals floating around the bathroom and landing on toothbrushes.

I reckon whatever country you end up living in, you will end up eating someones poo from time to time.

I used to take a poo on my Rhubarb patch :o . people used to come from miles around to buy this stuff, they couldnt get enough of it. Funnly enough, I never used to eat it.

I heard that there is even poo on everyones toothbrush. something about small particals floating around the bathroom and landing on toothbrushes.

I reckon whatever country you end up living in, you will end up eating someones poo from time to time.

Well, after a big night out and say 20 beer followed by street food before bed, I would hate to think about the amount of crap on my toothbrush after I have cleansed myself the next morning.

Probably why I don't brush my teeth when hungover.

short answer , yes, i can live here after reading that.

ghana and thailand are hardly neighbors last i checked.

making this relavent to thailand is a bit of a reach don't you think?

Yeah, even when they mention SE Asia, Thailand isn't noted (though China, Vietnam and India are).

Oh, and for those that think things are so great elsewhere, take a wild guess at what fertilises a lot of farms in Europe ? :o

The toothbrush thing is based on air bourne/splash with two metres of a flushed toilet with the lid up.

If it's not human poo - it's cow, chicken, etc. used as fertilizer - better than 'nice' clean chemicals in the long run.

Just consider the water that you are drinking - that has been through a few sets of animal and human urinary tracks before reaching your lips, you are not the first to drink that pure Evian bottled water and will not be the last, enjoy.

Well I am pleased to say that here in Singapore we are not in the developing world, so no poo-poo for us...Hold on a minute are there actually any farms in Singapore?...oh no this means we must be importing our veggies from the grubby, squalid little Third World countries that surround us. Right that’s it. I am living on cocktails alone from now on.

I'm shocked...yes shocked...that food production conditions in Thailand or any other Third World country for that matter, would be less sanitary than in Europe or the United States. Are you kidding me? This is Asia for Chrissakes...they have been using human shit and water buffalo shit to fertilize their products for centuries. Go home. Oh and by the way, the United States has more e. coli virus issues than we do in Asia. Go figure. You might want to steam all your veggies now.

The article doesn't mention Thailand so not sure if it's included. Also there's a difference between raw sewage and treated sewage being used as fertiliser, the latter being safe.

I saw a Thai film recently, Monrak Transistor, which included a scene where they were doing exactly this, spreading raw sewage on the land as fertiliser for crops, using buckets. Whether this reflected what really goes on, remains to be seen. Apparently, if you've eaten this food all your life, you build up a resistance to the bacteria. Maybe this is the cause of Bangkok belly for visitors? lol

Having lived in Ghana and Thailand, I can assure the food in both countries is quite fit to eat.

If you are one of the many farang that come to Thailand & expect it to be the same as those glossy posters that you see in travel agents windows,

then I would suggest that you are not suited to living in a third world country & should return to your country of origin as soon as possible.

Well I am pleased to say that here in Singapore we are not in the developing world, so no poo-poo for us...Hold on a minute are there actually any farms in Singapore?...oh no this means we must be importing our veggies from the grubby, squalid little Third World countries that surround us. Right that's it. I am living on cocktails alone from now on.

Singapore prides itself in it tap water, which they claim is drinkable. It comes from the sewer system, biggest system of it's kind in the southern hemisphere. Had a special on the system on TV very impressive 48KM sewer pipe big enough to drive through. All goes into the treatment plant and is converted to pottable water and piped to your home for batjhing drinking etc.

Don't use ice cubes in your cocktails.

The toothbrush thing is based on air bourne/splash with two metres of a flushed toilet with the lid up.

A myth that has been busted by the Mythbusters on Discovery. Yes, there were minute particles of fetal matter on toothbrushes, but it didn't matter if they were kept inches from the cra**er or 20 meters away.

You are more likely to encounter problems with excessive use of herbicides and pesticides on fresh produc, than you are with any other contaimination. I don;t believe the problem you describe is of any scale to be concerned about in Thailand. If it was we would be hearing daily in the media of people getting ill. One of the reasons why the health authorties in Thailand adopt such a liberal policy towards food hawkers is because by and large the food you by from food stalls and hawkers is of a pretty decent standard - mainly because turnover is so high that seldom does anything get a chance to go off. But when problems do come to light the authorities don't hesitate to shut the vendor down.