Can You Still Live In Thailand After Reading This?

vrsushi

Or Wasabi? The Japanese eat sashimi with lots of Wasabi which is said to kill parasites in the flesh of raw fish.

Don't use ice cubes in your cocktails.

Might I suggest that if the alcohol isn't killing the germs, then there isn't enough alcohol in the drink?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you heard of organic farming?

Just read this today, http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D92KLN780.htm

Can you still live in Thailand after reading this?

Half of all food produced on farms near 70% of all cities in the developing world don't have access to water so they irrigate thier crops with untreated human waste.

Surely this includes Thailnd.

I really wonder if I can now live in a developing country. I mean, drop a lettuce in your, no, another man's toilet, wash it off then serve it up. Could you eat it?

I'm looking forward to the posters who will say, "hey, don't worry about it, I've never been sick" but really? You don't mind?

I love living in Asia, but not at the expense of eating a daily diet of Somchai shi.t.

Any farmers out there like to enlighten us as to how widespread this is in Thailand.

I lived most of my life on a farm. I remember reading (I can't remember the source) about a project to raise chickens in which they were raised entirely on feces. This was an experimental project and I am guessing the feces were treated and checked for contaminants etc. It was a success and they showed that a chicken could be raised from birth to a butchering weight only on feces. They did assure, however, that the chickens in the study would not be made available for human consumption.

So, the poo on the fields, which is where most animal poo has ended up since time began, doesn't bother me. I was a little squeamish about eating chicken raised entirely on poo, though!

Just read this today, http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D92KLN780.htm

Can you still live in Thailand after reading this?

Half of all food produced on farms near 70% of all cities in the developing world don't have access to water so they irrigate thier crops with untreated human waste.

Surely this includes Thailnd.

I really wonder if I can now live in a developing country. I mean, drop a lettuce in your, no, another man's toilet, wash it off then serve it up. Could you eat it?

I'm looking forward to the posters who will say, "hey, don't worry about it, I've never been sick" but really? You don't mind?

I love living in Asia, but not at the expense of eating a daily diet of Somchai shi.t.

Any farmers out there like to enlighten us as to how widespread this is in Thailand.

The classic picture of Chinese farmers with two watering cans on a pole over their shoulders... they're pouring the night's pee and poo on the pak choi.

I often wonder in Thailand what becomes of the slurry that the little old tankers pump out of our toilet sump when it's full. I hope it is used but not until it has been left to become dry and sterile.

There are of course linguistic confusions and sea food is one of the biggest causes of stomach upsets.

Crab is Thai is bpoo. Bpoo/poo, crab/crap.

Moral- always wash your veggies or cook'em well.

What can I say? When we were kids and had our own garden we used to be out there scraping up horse sh*t to put on the veggie plot. Used to get barow loads of manure brought in. Da*n good veggies too.

Life can be sh*t, we are made to take a lot of sh*t in our lifetimes too so what is a bit more sh*t taken internally??

This study seems to suggest that some of the bacteria can be absorbed through the roots to the plant tissues.

http://www.unisci.com/stories/20021/0129023.htm

So then should people just stop eating veggies? The study seems a bit inconclusive because it also says "The mechanisms by which the pathogen is introduced into the lettuce plant are not fully understood". Even if no feces from cattle or humans were added, insects, rodents, birds, etc., still add it to the soil. It's a good idea to dry and sterilize waste from humans or cattle first before adding it in the soil, but that doesn't eliminate all the untreated waste that comes from other creatures.

Even though the study shows that E. coli can be taken up through the roots of plants, it says nothing to indicate the amount absorbed is sufficient enough to be harmful to people. After all, E. coli can show up on your toothbrush, even if it's completely covered and in a a location other than the bathroom. We all probably breathe in E. coli every day but the amounts are evidently small enough that it doesn't usually present a hazard to people. Of course, if you're exposed to larger amounts and depending on your health, then it can start multiplying and spread in your system.

Don't use ice cubes in your cocktails.

Might I suggest that if the alcohol isn't killing the germs, then there isn't enough alcohol in the drink?

As the saying goes, if there is a worm at the bottle of the Tequila bottle and it is dead, then drink Tequila and you won't have worms!

In the interest of accuracy, there is no worm at the bottom of the Tequila bottle...there is a worm at the bottom of the Mezcal bottle.

Mezcal is derived from the agave cactus...Tequila is derived from Mezcal.

Mezcal bad, tequila good.

Yes, you are correct, the worm is in bottles of mezcal, not tequila. I mentioned tequila because there are some out there (I am sure) do not know or have never heard of mezcal, but surely everyone can relate to tequila. :o

And in further accuracy, the agave is not a cacti, it from the lily family. Likewise tequlia is essentially a mezcal only produced from one type of agave (blue) and is produced in only one region of Mexico, thus its name 'tequila'.....

So grab the salt and lime and shoot that down..... :D