Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Unable To Log In To Windows Live Messenger/hotmail

meadish_sweetball

I haven't been able to log in to Windows Live Messenger or Hotmail for over a month now. I don't use it often anymore but still get the occasional email, plus I have many friends in my contact list whom I'd like to be able to talk to now and then.

I have the same behaviour on both of my computers - when I try to log in to Hotmail via the web, the login process goes on forever without any error message showing.

When I try to log in via the Windows Live Messenger application (Windows Live Messenger version 8.1), the login process goes on for a long time, and finally gives the error message: "We were unable to sign you in to Windows Live Messenger, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your Internet connection. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet. To let us try and troubleshoot the problem, click the Troubleshoot button."

I click the troubleshoot button, and the wizard gives a ! warning sign for "Hosts file" and "Key ports" - all other entries are green. I get the message "Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to improper proxy or firewall settings. Please review your proxy and firewall settings. Proxy settings can be accessed through Windows Live Messenger Options. For Firewall settings, please see the retailer's instructions. Click on the repair button below to fix the setting and we'll try signing in again."

I click "Repair" and get a message saying the hosts file is messed up, and 'would you like MSN messenger to clean up your hosts file'. I click Yes. The progress indicator runs for a minute or so more, then I get the message

"Windows Live Messnger's Connection Troubleshooter was unable to identify and repair the connection problem. However, here are some other resources that might help you. (Error code: 81000306)"

...plus a number of links to troubleshooting sites. I have tried to log in to the MSN Web messenger too, but it is the same. It does not seem to connect at all.

SETUP INFO: I use Windows XP SP2 (legal, updated copy), Avira Antivirus (free version, updated daily) and Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. I connect to the Internet through a wired network via a D-Link DSL G624T router. My LAN is set up with static IPs. The DHCP server in the router is off. My ADSL ISP is CAT via TT&T.

My DNS server settings in the router as well as under Local Area Connection / TCP/IP in Windows are identical (61.19.245.245 / 61.19.245.246 ).

They seem to work, because I can access all other websites I try with.

I have tried to shut down Kerio Personal Firewall and activate Windows Firewall instead, but that did not change anything.

Any thoughts?

EDIT 1: I opened the hosts file and noticed Spybot Search&Destroy had added lots of entries to it, apparently to block websites known to cause problems. I removed all those entries from the HOSTS file and tried to log in again. But I got the same error message as before.

Looks like the problem could be related to https / SSL ...?

I don't seem to be able to access any websites using https. :o

Could try this: Control Panel / Internet Options: Advanced tab. Scroll down to near the bottom (under 'Security') and ensure 'Use SSL 3.0' and 'Use TLS 1.0' are both checked. (That's what I have).

Might be a fragmentation error due to the latency and fvcked up packet scheduling with Thai ISP's, had a reply backtrack error with SSL connections over an SSH tunnel before, try reducing your MTU setting to around 1200.. :o

Edited by TopDogger

I have their entries in my HOSTS file and can open Hotmail (don't know about Windows Live).

Have you tried disabling both software firewalls as you have a firewall in your router?

Replace your DNS settings with Open DNS, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Thanks Jeffer. I did try to disable Kerio completely earlier, with no different result.

As background info, I have been using Kerio and this same router for a long time (3 years or so) without any firmware changes or rule changes in Kerio, and I definitely was able to use MSN Messenger and Hotmail earlier.

Will try the Open DNS addresses to see if that helps. Thanks. :o

My sugested approach to the problem would be to do a search of 81000306, the error code you are getting. Yahoo sends you many suggested links and my guess is that one of them has the answer you need. I have had success using the error codes in the past with search and find lots of credible suggestions are the result and have fixed many perplexing problems with that method.

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestion Wash - I did do that as well, but unfortunately none of the results there seemed to help.

After fiddling around with various settings though, including changing DNS addresses, changing the I'm now getting a different error code though, which should be a good sign.

UPDATE: Ok, one of the solutions here worked, probably the one about re-registering dll's: http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=71703