Sick Of Sophon

JimmyTheMook

Will UBC be much different ?

Certainly more expensive,like x 4. Olympic coverage on UBC very poor, Sophon Channel 39, brilliant !

:o

I have both Sophon Cable and UBC satellite - UBC picture quality is far superior as is the selection. And yes, UBC is far more expensive - I pay 1500 baht + a month for Gold pkg.My condo charges me 200 baht/mo for my Sophon cable. My Sophon is often off the air. UBC is always there - sometimes in a major storm I will get a message "searching for signal" but that never lasts more than a few minutes.

Money always plays a part in the equation....but if we were to forgo all such thoughts for a moment then a "triple-whammy"

would be the best option........1- Sophon

2- UBC(Gold Package)

3- JSAT

Some pubs in the Pattaya area like "Jamesons" and "Drunk and Dare 'a Licks"(Jomtien) have had the JSAT package for a number

of years and have been pleased by it's service/consistency.You can slplit all three signals so that all 3 packages can be watched

on any of your TV's.My adjacent neighbour has had this set-up for about 1.5 years now and it's a sweet set-up I have to say.

Not the cheapest,obviously....but it gives a great spectrum of programmes!! I'll be getting around to doing it myself before the

end of the year.......insha allah!!

Edited by lalana

I pay 450 baht/mo for Sophon Cable, and I have the Silver package for UBC plus the discovery package and my bill is around 1,100 baht/mo.. I enjoy the movie channels on Sophon, and also Zone reality and sometimes Pattaya news, however the quality of sophon cable is bad. Movies often stopping half way through, pausing. Sometimes you can see the system being scanned and a mouse moving across the screen :o I NEVER have this problem with UBC. The only problem is when theres is a storm it sometimes goes off.

As for Quality of both 2, UBC is definitely far far better.

I pay 450 baht/mo for Sophon Cable, and I have the Silver package for UBC plus the discovery package and my bill is around 1,100 baht/mo.. I enjoy the movie channels on Sophon, and also Zone reality and sometimes Pattaya news, however the quality of sophon cable is bad. Movies often stopping half way through, pausing. Sometimes you can see the system being scanned and a mouse moving across the screen :o I NEVER have this problem with UBC. The only problem is when theres is a storm it sometimes goes off.

As for Quality of both 2, UBC is definitely far far better.

Couldn't agree more with the above comments.The movies on Sophon are VCD formatted and switched half-way through....

this is a portent of the standard of this Network, if someone isn't familiar with them.The Sports available are a huge

brownie-point for UBC(especially football) and it's one of the biggest +'s it has.However in the last year or so...half time

commentary and analysis of Premiership Football games are now in Thai Language only by analysts who've got no

legitimate claim to be professional pundits.Where JSAT comes good is in it's SuperSport South African Sports Coverage and

full English analysis along with channels like Sky News which isn't available on the UBC options-list.That'a why I intend to get

all 3 options installed.If I did have to choose from one of either UBC OR JSAT I would probably swing in favour of JSAT.......

the only caveat being that you need an Internet-signal and Modem Box in place which acts as a Decoder to the Signal

received by Satellite :D

In Vietnam we have TRUE by satellite.

There are a couple of Thai channels, HBO/CineMax for movies (with Viet sub-titles) a couple of other programmes with Thai sub-titles and ESPN and Star Sports in English (or sometimes Mandarin), Australia Network - plus a lot of Virtnamese channels.

As with Sophon, Banglamung Cable, UBC, Showtime (in Middle East), MBC, Dubai 1 and other Middle Eastern providers, Indonesion providers and other places I have worked, they all show the same movies and TV series time after time. This is due to COST and lack of viable competition.

If you leave your own country to live elsewhere, do not expect to receive a comparable TV service in your native language - it just doesn't happen.

So get out and about - enjoy the great outdoors, buy a DVD player and hundreds of pirate discs.

The news programmes are now catering to the lowest common denominator wherever you are - no more probing Panorama or Horizon - they are as bland as the next guy now, so switch your mind off and become zombie number four in the bar of your choice.

Who needs a movie channel in Pattaya when you can buy dvds for next to nothing???

The only channels you really need are the sport channels and supersport from SA has just about everything that you would ever want to watch for sport.

Who needs a movie channel in Pattaya when you can buy dvds for next to nothing???

The only channels you really need are the sport channels and supersport from SA has just about everything that you would ever want to watch for sport.

Buy Dvd's? With a good internet connection and minimal technical know-how,

you can download 'em :o

One advantage of this is that you can get great movies from the past (anything more than 10 years old)

that you would never see sold on the srteet...

you can download 'em :D

One advantage of this is that you can get great movies from the past (anything more than 10 years old)

I guess my technical know-how is even less than minimum!

I have wrestled with Vuze, Limewire, Mininove, uTorrent and can't capture any downloads.

There are lots of older movies I would like to see again, like Indochine and the cult classic Eating Raoul.......they are listed but out of my reach.

you can download 'em :D

I guess my technical know-how is even less than minimum!

I have wrestled with Vuze, Limewire, Mininove, uTorrent and can't capture any downloads.

There are lots of older movies I would like to see again, like Indochine and the cult classic Eating Raoul.......they are listed but out of my reach.

Too bad about that ..What kind of connection are you using?

I have no machine myself(our apartment doesn't allow any)

but I have downloaded stuff in various Internet rooms..One great one is on Soi bukow and has a

HDSL and ADSL connection. I have heard if you just use wifi then the upload speeds

are not sufficent ...

I would have mentioned that you can download movies off the net but again the problem is the speed in most places is just not good enough and still it is more time efficient and cost efficient to buy cheapo dvds.

But the internet in general is a good form of entertainment and far much more fun than the tv.

TV is yesterdays technology.

For me tv is good for live sporting events and that is about all.