Buying A Car In Thailand The 180 Day Rule?

daveb1

Nope.

Officially you should be on a non-immigrant visa, but it has been known for some immigration offices to issue you with a certificate of residency without one. :o

If you have any kind of visa, even a tourist, you can own a car. At least in Pattaya and Bangkok is no problem to register in your name.

Nope.

Officially you should be on a non-immigrant visa, but it has been known for some immigration offices to issue you with a certificate of residency without one. :o

If you have any kind of visa, even a tourist, you can own a car. At least in Pattaya and Bangkok is no problem to register in your name.

Thanks guys thats great!

Nope.

The non immigrant is required to apply for a Thai drivers license.

To register a vehicle any visa is acceptable.

Nope.

The non immigrant is required to apply for a Thai drivers license.

To register a vehicle any visa is acceptable.

While its often not enforced, the law is you need a long stay / non imm visa.

http://www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=98

As you have a non-immigrant visa, it is no problem for you to legally own a car. However, anyone who does not have a non-immigrant visa may not be the legally registered owner of a vehicle in Thailand.”

Supakorn Wilairat, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office Registration Division.

http://www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=297

“A foreigner who has a non-immigrant visa can legally own a vehicle in Thailand. To buy a motorcycle and register it in your own name you need your passport (plus one copy) and a work permit or proof of your address as notified by the Immigration Office.”

Officer, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.

• 2 weeks later...
You need an address certificate as well and they are hard to get if you are not on a long term visa.

I am also looking to buy a car. i am on an Non Immagration o visa.. Where would I get an address certificae from? Or would it be rhe same as s letter from the bank.

Cheers jb1

You need an address certificate as well and they are hard to get if you are not on a long term visa.

I am also looking to buy a car. i am on an Non Immagration o visa.. Where would I get an address certificae from? Or would it be rhe same as s letter from the bank.

Cheers jb1

Hi,

I just took the time to read, the article from the Phuket Gazette. I think that has answered my question.

Cheers jb1

>You need an address certificate as well and they are hard to get if you are not on a long term visa.

Jomtien Immigration appear to be able to issue such certificate based on supporitng documentation such as a rental agreement provided by you that includes your name and the address that you are registering as being your home address, as long as the name matches your passport (helps if your 'supporting' document mentions your passport number). I have been told first hand that homemade rental agreements as well as hand written statements have been accepted as such proof of address for issuing the certificate.