Rabies !

kankaroo

Maybe a dramatic title to this post but I have a young cat who was recently mauled by some animal. He had large bite marks on his legs and had to be treated by a vet. The problem is I forgot to have him treated for rabies and now I worry that he may have passed the sisease on to me (if he has it). He bit me on the arm last week and drew blood.

Should I go for the injections or not?

Pets are required to have rabies injections, and then wear a little tag on the collar.

Get the cat innoculated NOW.

Go and have the injections yourself.

Not expensive and the set gives cover for 5 years.

• 3 years later...
Maybe a dramatic title to this post but I have a young cat who was recently mauled by some animal. He had large bite marks on his legs and had to be treated by a vet. The problem is I forgot to have him treated for rabies and now I worry that he may have passed the sisease on to me (if he has it). He bit me on the arm last week and drew blood.

Should I go for the injections or not?

did you get your rabies injections and how much did you pay??i was bitten by a cat in a temple 2 days ago and after reading several postings have decide to go hospital in the morning

there is only one recorded case of a human ever surviving rabies without a vaccination, if you had ever seen someone who was infected by rabies, tied down to there hospital bed waiting to die, you would not be asking this question.

Heres some of what to expect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-7ZucYJvE

Edited by Chloe82

Before I came to Thailand, the doc told me you have to get help within 24 hours or you WILL die. He said there was 1 reported case of somebody living after not receiving treatment within 24 hours, in all of recorded medical history. I don't know how fast it takes hold, but if this happened last week and you don't have symptoms yet you're probably okay, but get to the hospital ASAP regardless.

This doctor was trying to sell me a rabies vaccine, but would a doctor at a reputable hospital in NYC lie to me about this just to sell me a vaccine? I didn't get it though since it was around $500.

Edit: I just noticed the OP is a week old. I hope you and your cat are okay kankaroo!

Edited by surface