Starter Apartment

phaethon

Hello all,

I'm looking for somewhere to stay for the first month/few months of my first year in Bangkok while I 1) relax and recover from too many years working, 2) find a place to live long-term and 3) maybe find work.

At the moment I have come across PR Place and maybe the House by the Pond.

Does anyone have recent/current experience of these places or any alternatives. Fast Internet connection would be a BIG plus, otherwise I'll manage with daily commutes to Gulliver's :o

PR Place say:

"Can I use the unlimited Hi-Speed Internet from my room?

Of course. The convenience of our guests is our first priority. We therefore make the phone line in every room accessible to the Internet (surcharge 500THB/Month)."

Phone Line!? sounds like dial-up -can anyone confirm if this is so or just badly worded and they have high-speed?

Can these places be booked online okay and the first month/deposit paid on arrival? Or should I spend a few days in a hotel and arrange things in person?

As I am leaning away from my original prioritization of easy commute to a language school at Asok, I would consider something further off the Sukhumvit/BTS corridors.

Cheers,

K.

This is what I have done, close Khlong Toei, a 10min ride to Asok, rental can be for min 4 months, enough to get you sorted. Fully furnished, internet for 700Bt rent is 5400, 7X4 studio type. No hot water, kitchen though. Gym/pool for +500 a month

Check out Rompo Mansion (Monthly), Mahasin Apartments (short term rent)

Cheers

Oz

PR Place is really nice. The internet is fast and reliable. The only complaint I have about it is it is on a busy city street and can be loud and the fumes come right into the windows. But it is a great location for getting around central Bangkok.

Does anyone have recent/current experience of these places or any alternatives. Fast Internet connection would be a BIG plus, otherwise I'll manage with daily commutes to Gulliver's :o

PR Place say:

"Can I use the unlimited Hi-Speed Internet from my room?

Of course. The convenience of our guests is our first priority. We therefore make the phone line in every room accessible to the Internet (surcharge 500THB/Month)."

Phone Line!? sounds like dial-up -can anyone confirm if this is so or just badly worded and they have high-speed?

Badly worded.

ADSL comes through a phone line. You will have both phone set and ADSL modem with LAN cable.

Speed? All connections in the building go into the central switch, always says 100MBps but tests can show it's 512Kbps or 1Mbps.

Stll, it is not a dial up.

ADSL comes through a phone line. You will have both phone set and ADSL modem with LAN cable.

Speed? All connections in the building go into the central switch, always says 100MBps but tests can show it's 512Kbps or 1Mbps.

Stll, it is not a dial up.

Thanks, can't be too careful :o

The 100MBps is the rated maximum of the switch - it woutdn't reflect the connection speed unless the line-speed exceeded what the switch could handle (not likely with ADSL).

K.