Surin Or Burriram For Short Trip

NotNew2You

A friend and I are planning our first trip up to the Khemer region of Thailand. We don't need any general Thailand travel advice as we've lived/traveled in the Kingdom for years. However, neither of us has been to the Surin/Buriram region. We have cruised the FC website for general info re travel options and hotels.

Does anyone have recommendations on which city is best for overall nitelife and places to eat and stay. We don't have the time or inclination to see both places so which city is better overall? Also, any reccos for hotels and entertainment places to hit would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Surin.

Majestic Hotel.

How are you travelling?

Hi notnew2u

Although I am biased cos I live just outside Surin, I would agree with Thaddeus (who doesnt live in Surin BTW). Majestic is modern,with good pool. Thong Tarin is older but still clean and ok. The advantage with Tarin is it is next to Sio Kola(entertainment St.) and on the other side is the Dawan Deang, one mighty good Thai rock club. You are never on your own for long in there, Its great and so friendly. I like 'Barcode' bar in Soi Kola.

Eating! were do I start???

Ferang Connection

Nobbys Bar

Celebration

GoodView

Jungle Gardens

Sunshine

Huay Senning reservior = Baan Na & Chai Naam

and many many more

I hope you enjoy your trip wherever it takes you

Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess Surin seems like more active a place than Buriram. We are thinking about the over-nite train from Bangkok or possibly private van hire.

Majestic looks good from FC website and centrally located.

We may try to get out to Wat Phanom Rung one day too...how far is it from Surin town and what might a private trip there for say half-day cost?

I done the train from BKK once Thad and It was OK. Fairly comfortable and cool.

I must admit that I am going to try to get 'sleeper' train next week as I hear its far more comfortable. If Time & Convenience are an issue, I would ALWAYS opt for a flight to Satuk. 45 minutes is a h3ll of a lot better than 5 hours+.

Dave

In conversations here, the one big advantage of the train, is there is little chance that you are going to die when it tries to overtake another train on a blind bend :o

Time is of no consequence as I am retired and living in Thailand. I have taken trains to Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, and once even to Butterworth, Malaysia (visa run to Penang) years ago when it was safe to take the train through the south without getting shot at!

I rather enjoy the slow pace of train travel and the 1st and 2nd class air-con coaches and sleeper cars are fine with me.

Maybe since the attack at Phonon Rung a couple months ago...it is still closed and under repair?

I always go by train between Bangkok and Surin. There is only one really good train from Bangkok and that is the one departing at 5.45. Coffee/Tea and a snack included in the price. It arrives in Surin 12.14. From Surin the best train departs at 7.55 and arrives in Bangkok (Hua Lamphong) 14.50. I usually get of at Don Muang or Bang Sue. The train takes one hour from Don Muang to Hua Lamphong and the traffic from Hua Lamphong going to the Ploenchit/Sukhumvit area is always terrible. Better to get a taxi from Don Muang.

As Dave the Dude said, flying is the best option, I sometimes fly, sometimes drive, and, when I'm feeling lazy I take the train.

Personally, I think the train is, by far, the less stress free, option. You can get off at Don Muang or Laksi train stations and get a taxi from there to Sukhumvit. Or, you can get off at Bang Sue or Hua Lampong and get the underground/subway to Sukhumvit. You can of course get on the train to Surin the same way as getting off, only reversed. :D

Surin has some really good night life, if you know where to go, as the above have mentioned, and a few places around and about if you ask some of the last of the summer wine crew at the Farang Connection.

Oops, :D just remembered, you said you were retired. You should fit in well at the FC, :D , if you don't have to be wrapped up in bed by 22.30-07.00 for sleep. :o

My one warning is. Try to be careful of the stairs/steps ANYWHERE!!!!!!! (I thought I'd get that one in, before anyone else does).

John.....

Time is of no consequence as I am retired and living in Thailand. I have taken trains to Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, and once even to Butterworth, Malaysia (visa run to Penang) years ago when it was safe to take the train through the south without getting shot at!

I rather enjoy the slow pace of train travel and the 1st and 2nd class air-con coaches and sleeper cars are fine with me.

Maybe since the attack at Phonon Rung a couple months ago...it is still closed and under repair?

Phanom Rung, Muang Tham & Ta Muang are all open to the public now, although we have always done trips to Phanom Rung and always found it open. In this area Ta Muang was the dodgy one, but I sent a trip out Sunday, and they reported plenty of troops there, but all the better for photo's.

In conversations here, the one big advantage of the train, is there is little chance that you are going to die when it tries to overtake another train on a blind bend :o

Tell that one to the cows that sleep on the track and de-rail the bloody thing.

I must admit that I am going to try to get 'sleeper' train next week as I hear its far more comfortable. If Time & Convenience are an issue, I would ALWAYS opt for a flight to Satuk. 45 minutes is a h3ll of a lot better than 5 hours+.

Dave

Surin gets my vote in competition with Buriram, and I can recommend the train. :o

I've taken both the sleeper and ordinary seats to/from Bkk a few times, however comfortably passed both cities :D

Phanom Rung was open Monday this week - never heard of it being closed.

Strangely though I have never seen so few people. Not a single bus or minibus, and just 5 cars in the car park!

No problem gaining Thai admission price, with a few well chosen sentences in Thai.

:o I would say that there is not a lot of difference in the two towns.There are good hotels in Buriram Great places to eat,Good bars if you want to have a drink,Have Speed disco in both towns,Have Red Sun in both also(Thai rock bands).

Buriram Airport is only 30 kms outside the town.

Try both if you have the time. :D

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, three of us will be up in Surin in another 6 weeks and we are not sure what touristy things we can do to fill in our days apart from the ruins/temples listed above what other things of interest can be found in and around Surin, thanks in advance.

Sorry to revive an old thread, three of us will be up in Surin in another 6 weeks and we are not sure what touristy things we can do to fill in our days apart from the ruins/temples listed above what other things of interest can be found in and around Surin, thanks in advance.

It all depends what you are interesed in. Surin town is pretty dead during the light hours. The one must though is a car or form of transport, the surrounding areas are packed with touristy things, from the temples/castles, silk village, silver village, basket weaving village, elephant village, Hauy Sanang resovoir and a couple of National Parks. Accommadation is plentiful as well, with good prices. Check everything out on http://www.farangconnection.com

Edited by farangconnection

Those sort of things seem like what we would be interested in, we will be catching the train up, what is the transport situation like, can you hire a driver and car for the day or can you hire a car, my mate speaks pretty good Thai so getting around of the track won't be a problem. Thanks Rick.

Those sort of things seem like what we would be interested in, we will be catching the train up, what is the transport situation like, can you hire a driver and car for the day or can you hire a car, my mate speaks pretty good Thai so getting around of the track won't be a problem. Thanks Rick.

Again, check out my web-site. We have cars for hire, and can arrange a guided tour.

Thanks for that F.C.

Just a question if one was catching the overnight sleeper train, how do you book and pay etc.

I cant see a link on the website or phone number to find out, if you were to roll up at the station a few hours before departure would you have any dramas getting tickets for 4 people. Thanks Rick

Thanks for that F.C.

Just a question if one was catching the overnight sleeper train, how do you book and pay etc.

I cant see a link on the website or phone number to find out, if you were to roll up at the station a few hours before departure would you have any dramas getting tickets for 4 people. Thanks Rick

There is a link to http://www.travelconnecxion.com on my home page. Costs a bit extra but I havn't had any real complaints from customers that use them :D , although they have been run down on the forum by customers that DON"T use them. :o

Edited by farangconnection

Thanks for that F.C.

If 4 of you to make sure I would get in advance. The sleepers and express are often full. The express leaves Hua Lamphong around 5:45am and will arrive in Surin around noon.

hi,

visited about a month ago and yes it was open.

regards benfica.