Moving To Nai Harn/rawai

susie sioux

Well, I'm sure most of the postings have put Susie off moving here and that will obviously please those that think the area is getting too busy and overdeveloped. I'm not one of those.

What I don't understand is all these moaners that still live here. If you're not enjoying the place, then why not have the commonsense to move on and find somewhere you like, like McChuch is contemplating - there's a lot of other places in the world.

Well, I'm sure most of the postings have put Susie off moving here and that will obviously please those that think the area is getting too busy and overdeveloped. I'm not one of those.

What I don't understand is all these moaners that still live here. If you're not enjoying the place, then why not have the commonsense to move on and find somewhere you like, like McChuch is contemplating - there's a lot of other places in the world.

I for one am not trying to put Susie off moving here, just opening her eyes so she knows what she's getting into. As i said in a previous post she'll do what she wants anyway regardless of what anyone on this forum tells her. I've been here for 13 years and i know how it all works here. I have lost a lot of money in the process of learning about life in Phuket and had i not burnt my bridges i'd have been out of here a year or so after i moved here.For reasons i won't bother boring you with i can't just move , but if i could i'd would, commonsense has nothing to do with it!

If i'd only been here for 9 months then maybe i'd be giving the same advice as you chickencurry but i haven't, and i do feel i should tell it as i see it, not as i used to see it when i too was green and had just arrived in the LOS.

As i said in a previous post she'll do what she wants anyway regardless of what anyone on this forum tells her. I've been here for 13 years and i know how it all works here. I have lost a lot of money in the process of learning about life in Phuket and had i not burnt my bridges i'd have been out of here a year or so after i moved here.

If i'd only been here for 9 months then maybe i'd be giving the same advice as you chickencurry but i haven't, and i do feel i should tell it as i see it, not as i used to see it when i too was green and had just arrived in the LOS.

Royale, this is a bit of a bizarre post and with your "forced" stay here in Phuket, maybe your opinion is skewed?

You say you have been here 13 years but would have left after 1 year if you could? That statement right there seems a little out there......followed up by the statement that your opinion of the place is different had you only been here 9 months instead of 13 years yet you clearly state (if possible) you would have left already.

So my only point is when you want to "state it as you see it" please understand a lot of us who live here are not forced to be here by circumstances but actually like it here. I think your opinions need to be taken with "a grain of salt" due to your circumstances.

I think some of the moaners were pointing out the drawbacks that exist for an older western woman here, the lack of social contact, that isnt the same for a guy..

Also it isnt as simple to just up sticks and move, especially if you are now involved with a Thai who doesnt have the same ease of travel that we do.. If things were different I might look into gold coast or Hawaii or even Northern california.. But its no trivial to get get my GF to have easy travel there.

As i said in a previous post she'll do what she wants anyway regardless of what anyone on this forum tells her. I've been here for 13 years and i know how it all works here. I have lost a lot of money in the process of learning about life in Phuket and had i not burnt my bridges i'd have been out of here a year or so after i moved here.

Royale, this is a bit of a bizarre post and with your "forced" stay here in Phuket, maybe your opinion is skewed?

You say you have been here 13 years but would have left after 1 year if you could? That statement right there seems a little out there......followed up by the statement that your opinion of the place is different had you only been here 9 months instead of 13 years yet you clearly state (if possible) you would have left already.

So my only point is when you want to "state it as you see it" please understand a lot of us who live here are not forced to be here by circumstances but actually like it here. I think your opinions need to be taken with "a grain of salt" due to your circumstances.

My reply was to Chickencurry who it seems has only been here for 9 months, hence her/his view of Phuket.

If you read my post properly it's not hard to grasp.

My reply was to Chickencurry who it seems has only been here for 9 months, hence her/his view of Phuket.

I read your post properly and if you read mine properly you'll note my argument that a guy that would have left after one year, and has been stuck here for 13 years might not be the best at offering opinions (as you see them) to prospective inhabitants.

Edited by huggybear

As a woman not a guy i feel that i have a lot to tell Susi,irrespective of what my reasons are for being stuck here in Phuket.My concern is that she is a "single" woman, not moving here with her boyfriend/husband or partner. She says she's a loner and i worry where this would leave her. I guess though with "know it all's" like you that she can PM you every time she gets ripped off or has no one to talk to.

Edited by Royale

I guess though with "know it all's" like you................

Thank you for confirming my argument that your opinions are not based on knowledge or fact but on emotional state.

arsehol_e!

Resorting to name calling? Intelligent, yes? Uh-oh, against forum rules, and not very royal, Royale.

OP you'll be fine in the Nai Hairn Rawaii area (back on topic). I would take certain poster's posts with "a grain of salt" as they seem to have other problems that skew their opinions.

I for one live in the area, I like it, and I also see many other happy people here(unlike certain posters).

Regards,HB

Here's a quote from Huggybear from the Isan Forum:

"I know of a guy, somewhat of a friend of mine who has built the house, married the girl, takes care of her son too, has new baby on the way, but he works outside of the country and when he leaves the Thai boyfriend (a cop no less), possibly the father of both kids, is right on the scene.

Now the guy I know is very happy with the Thai wife and kids. Am I a better friend for ruining his happiness by flapping my lips? I think not."

I"d beware when he does "flap his lips"!

See Susi, you have to know people for a long time, i think what Royale says is true. I wonder if this guy would tell you if your hair was on fire?

Good luck and take care.

"I know of a guy, somewhat of a friend of mine who has built the house, married the girl, takes care of her son too, has new baby on the way, but he works outside of the country and when he leaves the Thai boyfriend (a cop no less), possibly the father of both kids, is right on the scene.

Now the guy I know is very happy with the Thai wife and kids. Am I a better friend for ruining his happiness by flapping my lips? I think not."

See Susi, you have to know people for a long time, i think what Royale says is true. I wonder if this guy would tell you if your hair was on fire?

Good luck and take care.

Bobegraves, this is completely taken out of context and not fair at all.

In the Isaan forum the topic was whether or not to tell people (in particularly people you know) of their significant other's infidelities. This is not the subject here at all, if you read the thread it has to do with happiness and safety in the Nai Hairn/Rawai area.

So how does your post fit in logically? That my saying that I probably would not "flap my lips" over infidelities has something to do with my opinion of where I live? I think you are lost.

Good luck and take care.

In the Isaan forum the topic was whether or not to tell people (in particularly people you know) of their significant other's infidelities. This is not the subject here at all, if you read the thread it has to do with happiness and safety in the Nai Hairn/Rawai area.

So how does your post fit in logically? That my saying that I probably would not "flap my lips" over infidelities has something to do with my opinion of where I live? I think you are lost.

I"m not lost at all, you can't even tell the truth to someone you know so why would you tell it like it is to someone you dont?

Good luck and take care.

I"m not lost at all, you can't even tell the truth to someone you know so why would you tell it like it is to someone you dont?

You are lost Bob, you are talking about two totally different topics, two totally different situations.

Correlating my not wanting to ruin a guy's happiness with a "hurtful truth" to my opinon of what life is like in Nai/Hairn Rawai, is not logical. That my opinion of Nai Hairn/Rawai cannot be taken as "truth" due to the infidelity thread is an "out there" brand of logic.

Stick to the topic Bob and quit picking a bone with me, you have an opinon for the poster, post, otherwise go away.

Edited by huggybear

Are the stars aligned crazily today?  There seems to be a lot of newbies here with crackpot logic about things they know nothing of, not just in this thread but in the Phuket forum threads in general.

Now back to topic, Rawai/Nai Harn is a good place to be if you like being on the driest part of the island amongst other things that we have going for us here.

Good luck and take care.

You are lost Bob, you are talking about two totally different topics, two totally different situations.

Correlating my not wanting to ruin a guy's happiness with a "hurtful truth" to my opinon of what life is like in Nai/Hairn Rawai, is not logical. That my opinion of Nai Hairn/Rawai cannot be taken as "truth" due to the infidelity thread is an "out there" brand of logic.

Stick to the topic Bob and quit picking a bone with me, you have an opinon for the poster, post, otherwise go away.

Royale was telling the truth as she saw it to the OP, she was giving her opinions on the possible dangers and pitfalls so that the OP was more aware if she chose to come to live in Phuket. Just because she didn't paint a rosey picture of the place you said everything she said must be taken with a pinch of salt, why is that? I too think that it is a very hard place for a single woman to live and that bridges should not be burned. It's different for men who come here, the whole set up is geared for men not "single women".I think it was kind of her to be concerned and take the time to post.

TV is full of people moaning about Thailand for one reason or another, they can't all be wrong. Maybe they need to voice it on here to get it off their chests, when all said and done there's nothing they can do to change things.

As a guy i doubt you have anything in common with the OP apart from the fact that you live in the area she's thinking of living in.

As a guy i doubt you have anything in common with the OP apart from the fact that you live in the area she's thinking of living in.

That's right BOB, and if you look at the original post she is asking about her safety in the area I have lived for awhile now. NO WHERE DOES SHE ASK FOR OPINONS OF ONLY LIKE MINDED FEMALES !

Now if you have an opinion on the safety or knowledge of Nai Hairn/Rawai then post, otherwise GO AWAY ! GEEZ !!

I don't know who you are "Petitechevre" but if you are a man then please try to be a "Gentleman", there's really no need to be so rude :D .If you have something nice to say then please go ahead, but if not then please spare us all from your ugly side.
'arsehol_e!

:o

If you bothered to read the rest of the OP's posts you'd see that she's moved on from Nai Hairn/Rawai and is now looking at Chalong in a secured area, as you don't live in Chalong i suggest that YOU go away.

Come on now, it's clear you like to have the last word......... Make it a good one, we're all waiting! :o

Don't expect anymore from me, you're boring the sh1t out of me.

Are the stars aligned crazily today?  There seems to be a lot of newbies here with crackpot logic about things they know nothing of, not just in this thread but in the Phuket forum threads in general.

Great. the Phuket forum needs more entertainment.

It had got so boring that I tried to liven it up a couple of days ago with a spoof thread, but, some humourless person spoiled it.

Yeah....bring on the silliness and liven this sub-forum up.

Can someone pass the popcorn please :o

Back on topic, I haven't heard that Chalong is any safer than Rawai/Naiharn, and that just as many burglaries occur in these guarded estates as they do elsewhere. Fox in the henhouse?

I would say that living on a "gated secure" development just gives you one extra level of security (much the same as having a dog). If you do something daft like leave windows open when you go out, and leave money/jewellery lying about, you'll probably still get burgled. (Or at least I heard that happened on a secure, gated development not so very far from where I live.)

If I was in the UK and left windows opened, would probably also get burgled. Same everywhere pretty much I think.

I am a "her" as per my profile. I don't think I am "green" (green Chickencurry - mmmm). Phuket is not Utopia - in fact, there is no Utopia anywhere in the world. There are both pros and cons to living here IMHO. For me, the pros still outweight the cons, and especially comparing with other countries that I would be allowed to live in.

Well sorry I can only claim to have lived here 9 months - nothing I can do about that. But my best friends here (also expats) have been here 18 years and don't seem to be showing any signs of moving.

This reminds me of my first house in Patong, in a so-called secure area. A few homes were robbed one evening/night and the security guard did not show up for work (or ever) the next day. What do you deduce from that.... :o Always lock ALL doors when you go out or retire for the night, better to have deadlocks and security grills. And a in-house dog helps. All common sense stuff .... :D

• 3 weeks later...

wow....

ok here i go, second post on TV. LOL first time i read "TV" i though you were all talking about a television series... lol

I almost gave up reading the entire post but hey i have nothing better to do as at the moment i am back in Australia taking care of my dad for a while, while his regular carer is on holidays. I return home to Rawai on friday. Lovely place to live.

I would not recommend walking alone late at night or leaving your home unlocked or having valuables left out in the open in any Australian cities, towns, hamlets, parks, empty beaches with out taking a chance of getting robbed raped or worse murdered. It is the same world wide. Just have to be aware.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

In Thailand i often leave my valuables in the basket of my scooter, sometimes out of forgetfulness sometimes because i know they will still be there when i get back. I have never had something stolen from me in Thailand but i was in a friends house when it got robbed and it was not a pleasant experience. the location of the house and the style of the house had a big sign on it saying westerner lives here with lots of money come and steal from me.... No security of any kind. That has been rectified and since they have had no problems.

There are drug crazed cash strapped crack heads, speed freaks, junkies lurking, on just about every corner of the planet.

Every town has got crime, there is no hiding from the truth. Society in general has a huge epidemic poverty and with poverty comes drug abuse. With this comes crime.

Unfortuneatly the happy hippy days of smoking some grass and laying around putting flowers in your hair and playing music have been swapped for smoking and snorting and injecting anything that gives them a lift and most of the time it is crystal meth crack cocaine..... A very ugly product of society gone mad.

The muggings, and robberies in rawai/naiharn are random acts done mostly by drug addicts, the house Break and entries are mostly because of the lack of police patrols and the fact that the criminals know that its a good place to go for B&Es because long term residents have more valuable items in their homes.

So, nai harn and rawai is by world standards a good safe place to live. By all means. In respect to other places in the world rawai is very safe. Unfortuneatly with the rising povert and drug abuse problems the crime is rising as well.

I have been coming here for about twenty years and lived here full time for the last three years.

I never feel culture shock when i go to asia like i feel when i go back to the west.

Thailand with all its ups and downs is still a wonderful place to be.

After two months of being back in Australia i am happy to returning home to Rawai.

In a nut shell. be careful, there are many ways to avoid being a victem of crime though it can happen to the most cautious in the least expected situation.

Nai Harn still is the best beach in Phuket, though it's getting a bit too busy, rawai has great places to eat, the markets have all the fresh veggies and fish a cook could dream of, sold with a smile and a bit higher price until the vendor gets to know you :o there are a few bars that are not just another girlie bar, there are many interesting people, and endless activities.

Welcome to paradise, sawsdee :D

Jay