Are They Treating Me Good On This Deal?

Nhscotsman

Hi,

I recently looked at buying a new 2008 Toyota 3.0E 4WD Double Cab Pickup in Rama 4 and we initially started at $768,000 plus the usual freebies such as bed liner and insurance for one year and other little things. I haggled down and got the dealer down in overall price down to $706,000 as a final price. Is this a good price for this pickup or is it still too high. I have looked everywhere online for a place to find out what the dealer is actually paying for the pickup but I can't find any listing anywhere that will tell me. In the USA you can find the books that will tell you right to the penny what the dealers pay, but not here. The dealer was reluctant to go down past $40,000, but when I got up to leave, he started to come down further but he flatly refused to go further than the $706,000, even when I pushed for $700,000 flat.

Initially I considered buying a motorbike to get around on, but the vehicle seems more logical especially considering I have to go to Trat occcasionally for my wife to see her family. Lastly, with regards to extended cab versus 4 door, will I get the extra money back when I do decide to sell in 4 or 5 years or is it lost money?

If you could give me some insight on this price, I'd greatly appeciate it.

Thanks,

Nhscotsman

Hi Nh, I find that interesting! Your the first person I have cum across that has extracted a large discount from a Thai dealer....plus get some freebies thrown in as well! Before I congratulate you on your negotiating skills can you tell me if it is a particular unit your negotiating on? It's just that they may have a vehicle which is old stock, still current model, but needs to be gone. Or it could be one that literally fell off the truck, been repaired and they want it gone. Or sales are slow and they need the sales figures padded for the end of the month, which is always a good time to buy a car.

But if you haven't selected a vehicle and have a range to choose from, well done! :o

Ps: 4 door pick-ups are popular the world over. Good choice.

Edited by BSJ

there is a new vigo with a different front grille and lamps , its just come out , if you are concerned about resale you might want to consider the new model.

NHS

Why dont you know that! I dont even like Vigo's but I knew that :o

Edited by Dave the Dude

The pickup I am looking at is a gold colored one they presently have in their showroom but they have told me if I wanted a black, blue or Silver (they have a silver one too), they could get me one. The black one would be in one weeks time, the blue one would take 1 month. Initially the salesman came down 40,000 from the starting price, then I told him he would have to do much better than that if he wanted to see me the truck. This is when he started going on about the scotchguard type of crap and the insurance and the bedliner. I told him the bedliner and the insurances were "Freebies" as far as I was concerned anyway and that before I would even consider buying it, he would have to be closer to 700,000. Two hours later and many many trips back and forth to the salesmans manager, we were at 703,000 and I told him I would let him know by Monday. On my way home, some woman was calling my cell asking what I could do to finalize the sale and I told her, come down more on the price and I would speak to them on Monday. This was with 20% down and payments for 48 months.

I hate Bangkok taxis and the thought of riding a motorbike in BKK is frightening as well. It's not that I need a vehicle badly (I walk to work at my international school), having one would be nice though to get away on the weekends with and with the 4 door truck, I am thinking that in a few years if I decide I want to sell it to buy something else, I would be able to sell it easier than if I had a little 2 door standard pickup.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Nhscotsman

The pickup I am looking at is a gold colored one they presently have in their showroom but they have told me if I wanted a black, blue or Silver (they have a silver one too), they could get me one. The black one would be in one weeks time, the blue one would take 1 month. Initially the salesman came down 40,000 from the starting price, then I told him he would have to do much better than that if he wanted to see me the truck. This is when he started going on about the scotchguard type of crap and the insurance and the bedliner. I told him the bedliner and the insurances were "Freebies" as far as I was concerned anyway and that before I would even consider buying it, he would have to be closer to 700,000. Two hours later and many many trips back and forth to the salesmans manager, we were at 703,000 and I told him I would let him know by Monday. On my way home, some woman was calling my cell asking what I could do to finalize the sale and I told her, come down more on the price and I would speak to them on Monday. This was with 20% down and payments for 48 months.

I hate Bangkok taxis and the thought of riding a motorbike in BKK is frightening as well. It's not that I need a vehicle badly (I walk to work at my international school), having one would be nice though to get away on the weekends with and with the 4 door truck, I am thinking that in a few years if I decide I want to sell it to buy something else, I would be able to sell it easier than if I had a little 2 door standard pickup.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Nhscotsman

why are you going for a pickup? it does not sound as if you need one. wouldnt a smaller car do, something like a Jazz or Vios? it would be easier to drive around Bangkok in and also park.

Hi,

I recently looked at buying a new 2008 Toyota 3.0E 4WD Double Cab Pickup in Rama 4 and we initially started at $768,000 plus the usual freebies such as bed liner and insurance for one year and other little things. I haggled down and got the dealer down in overall price down to $706,000 as a final price. Is this a good price for this pickup or is it still too high. I have looked everywhere online for a place to find out what the dealer is actually paying for the pickup but I can't find any listing anywhere that will tell me. In the USA you can find the books that will tell you right to the penny what the dealers pay, but not here. The dealer was reluctant to go down past $40,000, but when I got up to leave, he started to come down further but he flatly refused to go further than the $706,000, even when I pushed for $700,000 flat.

Initially I considered buying a motorbike to get around on, but the vehicle seems more logical especially considering I have to go to Trat occcasionally for my wife to see her family. Lastly, with regards to extended cab versus 4 door, will I get the extra money back when I do decide to sell in 4 or 5 years or is it lost money?

Thanks,

Nhscotsman

Your dealing with factory outlets here so you won't find out what it costs to arrive on the showroom floor.

If your thinking of keeping it for 5 years the ext cab may be better ,more people looking for a pickup of that age would not even look at a 4 door because of it's much higher road tax approx 5,000 baht pa(bet the salesman didn't tell you this). Regards price get a test in a Dmax and just happen to pull up to make last minute "comparisons" with the Vigo Ie length this may get you the extra discount your looking for on this pre facelift model.

KARTMAN

I second the need for a pick up. However, if you do buy one then the 4 cab is the one to go for. If you ever have anyone in the back they will appreciate it. As for 5k a year extra on tax then forget it. The pick up will still be worth a good few hundred thousand and with a full service history you'll be able to offload it to a westerner, perhaps even a friend. Thais buying second hand at this level are looking for finance over XYZ years anyway.

As for the vehicle, I guess you are not looking at an auto bx but if not, please reconsider. I have an auto D-Max and had a manual for a while and I would never go back to a manual. Sure it eats more gs but if that was a consideration then why buy a truck ?

I think in 5 Years if oil is $200 abarrel as some predict a westoner, friend or anyother person looking for a pickup 2 or 4 door will have at the top of their don't want list 3litre engine/4WD. Unless a road is going to be built to the top of the Mount i can't see the piont of humping a 4WD round BKK ,also the trip to Trat far more relaxing in a nice spec Jazz/Vios or even the soon to be available new City, unless your going offroad all the way.

I wouldn't buy another four door truck because of the extra registration tax. I never sit in the back seat anyways. Normally it's just my wife and I so a four door is just an added expense besides the disadvantage of losing the bed space. Ford and Nissan both have the open cab option that is actually a four door at the same tax as a two door.

I think in 5 Years if oil is $200 abarrel as some predict a westoner, friend or anyother person looking for a pickup 2 or 4 door will have at the top of their don't want list 3litre engine/4WD. Unless a road is going to be built to the top of the Mount i can't see the piont of humping a 4WD round BKK ,also the trip to Trat far more relaxing in a nice spec Jazz/Vios or even the soon to be available new City, unless your going offroad all the way.

In July when gas was Bt45 a litre it hit home to me that the price had doubled in a year or thereabouts. I think we did 15k so at 10km/l we'd use 1500 litres at an extra Bt20 or so which is Bt30,000 more than we'd been looking at a year previously. Now back at Bt33 the extra cost would be Bt15,000 or so.

We didn't buy a 4WD. Why ? well they wanted more deposit (because they get stolen and taken to cambodia was one reason given !) but I'd probably have bought the Executive model in the Vigo had they given us a similar low deposit deal. I do go up country sometimes and though not off road, the mountains to Buriram in the wet need some traversing and 4WD would not be out of place sometimes.

As for buying a truck versus a small car then I'd take the truck every time. I'd take a medium to large car over the truck but it is easy to drive and has all the luxuries of a car nowadays.

I wouldn't buy another four door truck because of the extra registration tax. I never sit in the back seat anyways. Normally it's just my wife and I so a four door is just an added expense besides the disadvantage of losing the bed space. Ford and Nissan both have the open cab option that is actually a four door at the same tax as a two door.

I think I've missd the bed length only once or twice Gary but the tax at some 5k a year extra is neither here nor there really (and I don't just chuck 5k away for no reason). Of course I've a reason for 4 doors what with the baby but we sometimes carry passengers as well. I do take your point that with just you and the missus you don't need it whilst you may benefit from the greater bed are more often than I do.

Hi,

I recently looked at buying a new 2008 Toyota 3.0E 4WD Double Cab Pickup in Rama 4 and we initially started at $768,000 plus the usual freebies such as bed liner and insurance for one year and other little things. I haggled down and got the dealer down in overall price down to $706,000 as a final price. Is this a good price for this pickup or is it still too high.

Thanks,

Nhscotsman

I believe Toyota is offering substantial discounts on current models to clear the showrooms for the 2009 models. Check at more dealers and I thinkk you will find this. Went into a CMai Toyota dealer just a week ago where the saleslady said she could probably come down a few thousand baht. When I told her I had heard that Toyota was offering up to around B50,000 advertised discount she got angry and walked away. Possibly she was thinking of pocketing the discount. Caveat emptor :o

The dealer was reluctant to go down past $40,000, but when I got up to leave, he started to come down further but he flatly refused to go further than the $706,000, even when I pushed for $700,000 flat.

In any business negotiation in Thailand, you know you have gotten the lowest price then you get up to leave and they let you. When they are willing to let you walk away, then you know you have gotten the best and lowest price they are willing to sell whatever it is you are thinking of buying, whether a house, car, t-shirt, or short-time.

40'k is usualy the profit of this Pick Up Trucks. Try, if you would pay cash, they wouldn't give you this discount, because in the finance is another profit on the interest they will get. But i beleve it's a "old stock" model. They still have plenty "old ones" in stock at Toyota Factory, as the "pick sales" are lower, because the diesel is more expensive. Anyway there is not much different between the two models. The new one only have a liitle bvit different "face". Diesel's getting now unpopular with the fuel prices. So i think you wouldn't get 40, or even 20'k discount on a Vios.