Bosiet Training In Thailand

mikehunt

Can anyone tell me if there are any training centres in Thailand where i can get my OPITO Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training (BOSIET) or as close to LOS as possible.

Taught in English preferably.

Thanks in advance if anyone has info.

Can anyone tell me if there are any training centres in Thailand where i can get my OPITO Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training (BOSIET) or as close to LOS as possible.

http://www.msts-my.org/

MSTS does course in johor baru, just up from singapore in malaysia.

I did my OPITO BNS there, nice setup and reasonably priced.

Where are you off to after?

Good Luck

Ive just done several NDT courses at a cost of 6K GBP including accom and resits and am hoping to find work offshore sometime after Xmas. (Or onshore in the UK should i cant get a start)

I was hoping to save a few hundred pound by doing it in SE Asia.

I take it as its OPITO approved at MSTS its good for working anywhere in the world?

Does anyone know of Settapat Training Centre?

Edited by mikehunt

Ive just done several NDT courses at a cost of 6K GBP including accom and resits and am hoping to find work offshore sometime after Xmas. (Or onshore in the UK should if i cant get a start)

I take it as its OPITO approved a t MSTS its good for working anywhere in the world?

Yes, it should be, MSTS certificates bear the logo of Falck Nutec Group.

Ive just done several NDT courses at a cost of 6K GBP including accom and resits and am hoping to find work offshore sometime after Xmas. (Or onshore in the UK should i cant get a start)

I take it as its OPITO approved at MSTS its good for working anywhere in the world?

Does anyone know of Settapat Training Centre?

As far as I know Settapat training center is for Chevron employees only and dont think it offers courses to the general public

I'm agashed,quit pussy footing :o

There is a TBOSIET and a BOSIET the "T" stands for Tropical ie the warm waters of SE Asia, and the standard BOSIET can be used anywhere.

This is my understanding through reading websites this evening but if anyone knows for certain please let me know.

You may want to find a course that does the re-breather as part of the offshore course, as the MOGIT course does not do this, or it did not do it 3 weeks ago. I know that they were looking at doing it, but don't think that they have initiated it yet. There are courses close to Singapore, Johan Bohru(?), also one in Miri as well.

Good luck

Correct me if I am wrong but I vaguely recall that offshore survival courses done in places like Singapore and Malaysia are not recognised for cold water locations like the North Sea.

Well, I did my Basic North Sea at MSTS; the course was OPITO approved and certificates issued on behalf of Falck Nutec which is owned in part by Norsk Hydro and Statoil.

In my mind there is no good way to do the course under actual north sea conditions as people perish quite quickly, immersion suit or not. Yes, the exposure to actual near freezing water as you try to breathe slowly and steadily thru your rebreather might be appropriate..

BTW: as stated above I have BNS. I also hold: offshore medical, seafarers book and Danish passport. I am looking for any kind of offshore work, ideally ROV tech/pilot trainee, but carrying heavy things around or doing IT admin would be fine aswell.

You may want to find a course that does the re-breather as part of the offshore course, as the MOGIT course does not do this, or it did not do it 3 weeks ago. I know that they were looking at doing it, but don't think that they have initiated it yet. There are courses close to Singapore, Johan Bohru(?), also one in Miri as well.

Good luck

OPITO approved BOISET courses do cover rebreathers as it is an integral part of HUET if I am not mistaken.

There is a TBOSIET and a BOSIET the "T" stands for Tropical ie the warm waters of SE Asia, and the standard BOSIET can be used anywhere.

This is my understanding through reading websites this evening but if anyone knows for certain please let me know.

You are correct...T is for tropical, ie no immersion suites etc and other cold water considerations

Correct me if I am wrong but I vaguely recall that offshore survival courses done in places like Singapore and Malaysia are not recognised for cold water locations like the North Sea.

Well, I did my Basic North Sea at MSTS; the course was OPITO approved and certificates issued on behalf of Falck Nutec which is owned in part by Norsk Hydro and Statoil.

In my mind there is no good way to do the course under actual north sea conditions as people perish quite quickly, immersion suit or not. Yes, the exposure to actual near freezing water as you try to breathe slowly and steadily thru your rebreather might be appropriate..

BTW: as stated above I have BNS. I also hold: offshore medical, seafarers book and Danish passport. I am looking for any kind of offshore work, ideally ROV tech/pilot trainee, but carrying heavy things around or doing IT admin would be fine aswell.

Not trying to p*ss on your plans, but you will be hard pressed to get offshore anywhere in South East Asia these days, as 95% of the positions are nationals, if you want to persue a career in the ROV side of things, try with Furgro or Sonsub, you might be lucky with a trainee position, if this fails have to get yourself on to an ROV course somewhere, think they do them in Aussie to get the ticket behind you and become more marketable to the ROV companies

There is an ROV course in the Phillipines for about 5000GBP, i looked into it but after doing a lot of research it seems as if lots of people have done it and cant find work. From my research a 8 month HNC course in Electronics or Mechatronics would be better.

http://www.subnetservices.com/rovcourse/

Just to give you some in-sight into how offshore works (spent 20 years in the game, the last 7 in the gulf of Thailand)

1. Offshore SEA is a shrinking market for expats, certainly in Thailand and Vietnam

2. In 90% of cases you will not get a start unless someone already working in the game pulls some strings to get you offshore, the vast majority of jobs are earmarked for indivduals somebody already knows even before they are advertised.

3. On the North sea, employment agencies/training companies basically "scam" people telling them there are loads of jobs, but need to do this course or that course (and you need to cough up the +/-GDP 2000, yourself) or you dont have a chance, in reality, you have very little chance even with the courses.

4. Does the industry need people worldwide, yes, but what is lacking is experienced/qualified people, with emphasis on expereince

• 3 weeks later...
There is an ROV course in the Phillipines for about 5000GBP, i looked into it but after doing a lot of research it seems as if lots of people have done it and cant find work. From my research a 8 month HNC course in Electronics or Mechatronics would be better.

http://www.subnetservices.com/rovcourse/

I have been in the ROV industry for over 10 years, if you have no relevant trade experience (Electrics, Electronics, Hydraulic or Mechanical) I would consider the HNC course a better option than one of the shoddy ROV courses.

About the only thing the ROV course are good for is networking or as an introductory course post Navy or Airforce.

Hi Mike. The best Training center in asia is the MSTS NUTEC facility in Jahor Bahru, Malaysia. Most of the blokes who work offshore go there to do their training/refresher courses. MSTS has good a good standard of instruction and is well regarded throughout the region. To put it bluntly, don't waste your money going elswhere if you plan to do it in S.E.Asia.

Make sure you do the BOSIET and not the TBOSIET. It takes half a day more but gives you more options for working worldwide, ie; in cold water regions.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

For the people looking to do a rov course and get into the rov game your wasting your money as there is very little on offer .

I have been in the game for the past 38 years and its never been as bad as it is now .

If you think want proof go to rovworld and look for your self on the hundreds if not thousands of guys looking .

So what ever your job is right now I should keep doing it maybe in 3 or 4 years it might change but at the moment there is very little .

Good Luck

subman

Ive been doing NDT for past 6yrs, first on the ropes and now just doing pipelines and it has been quiet for most everyone i know recently. Picking up a bit now, but Nov-Mar this year, was dead!

To OP, get yourself a rope access level 1 if u dont already have it as this will increase your chances of getting work immensely. SE Asia companies to check out are South Seas Inspections, Derrick Services and K2. K2 were looking for TOFD and PA guys recently, but I was scheduled to go out with my regular company, so didnt get in touch with them, so dunno what they were paying. All of them have offices in Sing from what i recall. got to IRATA website for their contact details.

If you have no experience, make some stuff up for your CV as you will never get a start with tickets and no work exp. Loads of guys blag it until they get some work experience since it is so hard to get a start with none. best of luck.

Ive been doing NDT for past 6yrs, first on the ropes and now just doing pipelines and it has been quiet for most everyone i know recently. Picking up a bit now, but Nov-Mar this year, was dead!

To OP, get yourself a rope access level 1 if u dont already have it as this will increase your chances of getting work immensely. SE Asia companies to check out are South Seas Inspections, Derrick Services and K2. K2 were looking for TOFD and PA guys recently, but I was scheduled to go out with my regular company, so didnt get in touch with them, so dunno what they were paying. All of them have offices in Sing from what i recall. got to IRATA website for their contact details.

If you have no experience, make some stuff up for your CV as you will never get a start with tickets and no work exp. Loads of guys blag it until they get some work experience since it is so hard to get a start with none. best of luck.

make some stuff up for your CV

That is some good advice for the oil and gas industry, make some work experience up to get a job, and that are the people who hurt themselves and others by creating unsafe situations and incidents offshore.

If i need to give some advice, a agree it is very difficult without expierence but not impossible, don't f#$ck with your CV just try hard.

Good luck

Good luck

make some stuff up for your CV

That is some good advice for the oil and gas industry, make some work experience up to get a job, and that are the people who hurt themselves and others by creating unsafe situations and incidents offshore.

If i need to give some advice, a agree it is very difficult without expierence but not impossible, don't f#$ck with your CV just try hard.

Good luck

Good luck

Agree fully.....if you blag your way in, you will get caught out in the end, and the word gets around the industy which can mess up future prospects. Although the industry is worldwide, you will be suprised at the number of people who know each other, certainly in areas such as ROV, NDT and dope on a rope....

Over my time offshore in SEA, lost count of the number of expats who have blagged their way in only to be shown the door not long after getting offshore as very apparant they didnt know what they were doing... :)