Anyone Riding Down To The Malaysian Motogp 2008?

RusticCharm

As I'm on holiday for most of October, I'll probably be riding down to the MotoGP. I've already bought a weekend pass from www.motogp.com which apparently is delivered a month before the race so I'm counting on the Thai Post Office not to screw it up. 

I'll be stopping off at Hua Hin, Chumphon etc. on the way and hopefully the weather won't be too bad. 

I'm assuming not many will be riding down due to work commitments but if you are, let me know. 

And is anyone going to be at the race at all?

As I'm on holiday for most of October, I'll probably be riding down to the MotoGP. I've already bought a weekend pass from www.motogp.com which apparently is delivered a month before the race so I'm counting on the Thai Post Office not to screw it up. 

I'll be stopping off at Hua Hin, Chumphon etc. on the way and hopefully the weather won't be too bad. 

I'm assuming not many will be riding down due to work commitments but if you are, let me know. 

Hi RusticCharm,

Not sure... Depends on how efficient (timewise) my relocation from Samui to BKK goes..... PM me closer to the date and let's hope for the best... Where are you coming from?

Hi

Ridethailand.com they use to get down there, i dont go, dont like rain, getting to old to be out in the rain for the whole day

Hi HDRIDER,

Thanks.... Too old? Never too old... Life is too short :-) (And you have a Harley? - Wishful thinking for a few of us.. someday...)

Bangkok. Well just across the river near the Prapadang area actually.

Ok - I will be near Future Park , need to see if we can find a central meeting point to meet up...

Okay. Maybe confirm closer to the date. I'll be booking a hotel in KL online fairly soon though.

My itinery is rather vague at the moment but I'd like to overnight at a few towns along the way- Hua Hin, Chumphon, Hat Yai, Penang etc.

Anyway, if you're serious about riding down, my email is [email protected]

Cheers,

RC

Bangkok. Well just across the river near the Prapadang area actually.

Ok - I will be near Future Park , need to see if we can find a central meeting point to meet up...

Okay. Maybe confirm closer to the date. I'll be booking a hotel in KL online fairly soon though.

My itinery is rather vague at the moment but I'd like to overnight at a few towns along the way- Hua Hin, Chumphon, Hat Yai, Penang etc.

Anyway, if you're serious about riding down, my email is [email protected]

Cheers,

RC

Hi RC,

Absolutely serious :-) , PM me the name of the hotel you are booking later.. Itinerary - a nice casual ride (not a power ride) sounds good....

Hi RC,

Absolutely serious :-) , PM me the name of the hotel you are booking later.. Itinerary - a nice casual ride (not a power ride) sounds good....

Will do. I'm looking on asiarooms.com at the moment. Some places look okay and then I check out the reviews....  :o
Hi HDRIDER,

Thanks.... Too old? Never too old... Life is too short :-) (And you have a Harley? - Wishful thinking for a few of us.. someday...)

I agree. 

If you change your mind HDRIDER, you'll be welcome. And hopefully we'll get lucky with the weather.

Edited by RusticCharm

October is school holiday and i'm not teaching! Any chance of getting a ride and sharing costs? Sorry, i only own a Yamaha 80cc Fresh for school and back. Only asking?

Thanks

Phil

October is school holiday and i'm not teaching! Any chance of getting a ride and sharing costs? Sorry, i only own a Yamaha 80cc Fresh for school and back. Only asking?

Thanks

Phil

No problem asking but that's rather impractical when considering comfort and safety issues.

Thanks

Phil

No problem asking but that's rather impractical when considering comfort and safety issues.

I agree about the safety & comfort issues. Hey Phil - how about renting a bike for this special event?

Not many renters are going to let you outside of the country.. Would need to be a mate or someone with an awful lot of trust.

True, very true...where are you? Have you checked in your area? (I can only speak for Samui - that I know a solid guy - Ohms Cycles, and if you were to rent from him, you would need to be on a ride with me or another person from an MC - someone he knows.)

Thanks

Phil

I agree about the safety & comfort issues. Hey Phil - how about renting a bike for this special event?

You can't take a bike which is not registered in your name out of the country.

Thanks

Phil

you can..

But you specifically need the registered owners permission in writing / letter and the green book.. Both not likely with a rental agent.

Itinerary tentatively arranged as leave Bangkok weekend of 11th Oct, then Bangkok - Hua Hin - Chumphon - ?? - Penang - KL.

Depart KL morning of 20th.

The '??' represented Surat Thani but as it's a bit of a shit-hole, I'm looking for somewhere else.

'a_classic_cigar', you still going? Anyone else?

Thanks

Phil

you can..

But you specifically need the registered owners permission in writing / letter and the green book.. Both not likely with a rental agent.

That is correct. All my bikes are registered under wife's name. Just make sure to translate it in English for Malaysian customs inspection.

a_classic_cigar', you still going? Anyone else?
  :o

I've set my Bangkok departure date for Sunday 12th Oct, then my itinerary albeit rather fluid, will probably be...

Depart Hua Hin 13th

Depart Chumphon 14th

Depart Krabi/Koh Lanta(?) 15th

Depart Penang 16th

Arrive KL 16th

Depart KL 20th

Depart Penang 21st

Depart Krabi 22nd

Depart Chumphon 23rd

Depart Hua Hin 24th

Arrive Bangkok Friday 24th

I've PM'ed A_C_C but no reply as yet so I may be riding down 'on my Tod'. I'm a little disappointed as this thread has over 350 views but only 1 guy interested.

Hopefully I'll meet riders on the road.

Edited by RusticCharm

Basjke

Yes you can take a bike out of the country if it is not registered in your name.

For info on how to do this look here.and here.

It says It is possible to take a vehicle out of the country, if it does not belong to you, but is in the name of another person. To do this you must have permission from the vehicle owner to export it. There is a standard form you can use for this. Click here to see what it looks like. Under this system then you can buy a motorcycle in another person's name still ride it out "overseas." To do this, you must have signed copies of the real owner's valid / current (not expired) Thai ID card and Thai house registration.

I'm thinking of going down, but i fear i have left it to late to get my tickets, would be pissed off if i paid for my flight/hotel and the tickets didn't arrive on time.

Now i'm not sure......

I'm thinking of going down, but i fear i have left it to late to get my tickets, would be pissed off if i paid for my flight/hotel and the tickets didn't arrive on time.

Now i'm not sure......

If you order the tickets from MotoGP.com, they send them from Austria by DHL and delivery only takes a few days.

Now i'm not sure......

If you order the tickets from MotoGP.com, they send them from Austria by DHL and delivery only takes a few days.

I don't know why, but I got the impression they came from the U.K.

• 8 months later...