What Are The Most Wonderful And Horrible Things About Thailand..

BrooklynKid

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Most Wonderful - Sitting on the beach eating King Prawns on Christmas day.

The Most Horrible - Getting wet through with dirty Ice Water at Songkran, and walking through the hot daytime Market, squeezing past overweight Farang Guys with no Shirts on, wet through with sweat. :)

When someone's life is wrapped around what is shown on TV it is getting rather shallow.

Good things about Thailand:

1. Warm climate and available beaches

2. Relatively inexpensive accommodation

3. Access to good, nourishing food that costs very little

4. Relatively friendly people in bars and restaurants

5. Beautiful women

6. Enough outside interests to keep anyone busy: golf, fishing, swimming, hiking, etc

Bad things about Thailand:

1. Political structure and corruption within the police system

2. Traffic and how Thais drive.

3. Relatively low educational standards

4. Can't think of anything else that can't be ignored.

Best: always friendly (traffic) police who helps you to get rid of your B100 bills.

Best: Traffic jams in BKK which give you plenty of time to think

Worst: Sexy university girls, which give you plenty to think about...

... or maybe it was the other way around.

Edited by amphur

The worst thing about Thailand: The Thai People.

The best thing about Thailand: The Thai People.

The worst thing about Thaivisa: The propensity to dig up threads that are years old...

Can see nothing wrong with that, if the topic is still of relevance to the present situation. Actually there are some very nice and intelligent old threads and it's interesting to observe how folks see things nowadays.

When someone's life is wrapped around what is shown on TV it is getting rather shallow.

5. Beautiful women

6. Enough outside interests to keep anyone busy: golf, fishing, swimming, hiking, etc

There are very very genuine people everywhere not only in bars and restaurants, particularly away from the tourist centres. (But to put it in perspective: There are also the evil ones which need to be avoided and that is not always easy as they can be clever con artists)

There is also more serious corruption.

I do not have a problem with the traffic but I tend to drive defensively. It is bad by some standards. Thais tend to compensate by driving relatively slowly and can be ultra cautious ( slow starts from lights, etc)

For me the class system and over importance of face is harmful and not good for the Thais.

5. Beautiful women

I'll add unreliable internet to the bad list and this is pretty much spot on.

I'll add unreliable internet to the bad list and this is pretty much spot on.

I'll agree with that... at least in Chiang Mai it's bad. So called high speed internet in Chiang Mai is about the same speed as dial up in Canada and only 1/10th as reliable. It shuts off for no good reason at any time of day or night. I found some reliable high speed internet in Jomptien, but they wanted 200 baht an hour. I'll put up with the slow net for 10 to 15 baht/hour.

When I mentioned the relatively friendly people in bars and restaurants I didn't mean that other places were not friendly. I've never been treated so well as by the poorer folk in Thailand. Every time I've had a problem with a motorbike there was always someone willing to help for free. Or, at such a ridiculous low charge I felt embarrassed to pay so little.

Maybe it's because I don't judge people by how little they might have and I smile at everyone, that I get treated so well.

BEST luktung/morlam

WORST string, TV, customer service, traffic, pollution, corruption, Thai stupidity, double pricing, lack of health and safety, poor building standards, lack of urban planning, high tax on wine, being referred to as 'the alien' even if you have been here 20 years, no rights to buy houses or land. Women.

BEST luktung/morlam

WORST string, TV, customer service, traffic, pollution, corruption, Thai stupidity, double pricing, lack of health and safety, poor building standards, lack of urban planning, high tax on wine, being referred to as 'the alien' even if you have been here 20 years, no rights to buy houses or land. Women.

agreed but not on ian's list yet. the wonderful and the horrible need to be put in perspectiver as suggested by the op in the title. seeing with only rose coloured glasses was not the aim

They have Thai TV playing on the TV sets in my gym, and I go in the evening when the biggest rated soaps are on. From what I can tell its a bunch of people screaming at each other for an hour a night.

You sure that's not CNN?

They have Thai TV playing on the TV sets in my gym, and I go in the evening when the biggest rated soaps are on. From what I can tell its a bunch of people screaming at each other for an hour a night.

You sure that's not CNN?

Or Fox News, as they seem to shout almost hysterically in the studio.

Anyhow,

Funny to see how this thread about "likes and dislikes" turned into a "who is right and whow is wrong" thread.

Wonder if OP expected that?

:)

Funny to see how this thread about "likes and dislikes" turned into a "who is right and whow is wrong" thread.

Threads about what brand of milk to buy turn out like that here. Why should this be any different? :D

:D

Threads about what brand of milk to buy turn out like that here. Why should this be any different? :D

True, so true

Btw, dont even think about telling me that you like milk in the coffee.

That is just so wrong.

best of Thailand is the moderate climate. always cloudy and cool. but not too cold that one needs to buy heating oil.

second best is the infrastructure. electricity supply without blackouts, reliable superfast internet connections with 60mbit speed, roads without any potholes, disciplined and polite drivers, at any government office you can have a small talk in english, french, spanish, german and sign language, residence permit issued at entry showing a thousand dollars cash and of course a stable political environment.

You nearly had me. I was about to enquire about the 60mbit internet!

I don't really like spicy food so now go ahead and have a rant about how Thai food is totally different to Western food and just because I don't understand Thai food I think Thais are inferior for eating spicy food and that I think that Thais should eat McDonalds instead.

OK, here we go..............

Look, just because Thai people like spicy food and you don't it don't mean that Thai people are inferior, it just means that you don't like spicy food, I'm quite sure they would find Toad in the Hold bland without lashings of hot stuff, now c'mon, get a grip !!!! You ain't in Maidstone anymore !!! Or do you think they should all eat McDonalds, just cos you like it ? :)

Was that OK ? :D

:D:D

I don't really like spicy food so now go ahead and have a rant about how Thai food is totally different to Western food and just because I don't understand Thai food I think Thais are inferior for eating spicy food and that I think that Thais should eat McDonalds instead.

OK, here we go..............

Look, just because Thai people like spicy food and you don't it don't mean that Thai people are inferior, it just means that you don't like spicy food, I'm quite sure they would find Toad in the Hold bland without lashings of hot stuff, now c'mon, get a grip !!!! You ain't in Maidstone anymore !!! Or do you think they should all eat McDonalds, just cos you like it ? :)

Was that OK ? :D

:D:D

Have to agree. Bl00dy funny!