Laptops and electronic gadgets

robertT

For laptop computers, mobile phones and the rest ad nauseum how do prices in LOS compare with say, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai, western Europe and the US? This is for personal purchases only and not for commercial trade.

Any duty or customs hassles if purchased abroad and brought in on a commercial flight?

All the best

I have gone shopping in BKK and Hong Kong for electronics.  Forget HK, way too expensive.  I am from the US and prices compared to BKK, I would say BKK is about the same or usually a lot more because anything that is imported into Thailand is gonna cost you.  Example: Cars, computer hardware but not copied software, TV's from Japan and Korea.  Like I said, anything imported.

I'll never understand the heavy import taxes, but you have to deal with it. I thought I read a month or so ago here somewhere, that you could get good deals on laptops in a specifiic area in Bangkok. Anyone remember where that was? they may have been referring to used versus new, but unsure.

:cool:

Pantip Plaza, Petchaburi Road. THE COMPUTER MALL. The large shop on the 1st floor does cheap new laptops (very cheap without MS Windoz, get your own copy instead, if you know what I mean).

Computer stuff should be cheap in Thailand, most of it is imported from other Asian countries (Asian version of the EU), so the tarrifs should be minimum. EU has tarrifs for goods imported from Asia, so in theory they should be more expensive than buying them in another Asian country. I found laptops cheaper in LOS than in the UK, although you do have to hunt around for value. Intel and AMD processors seem to be made in Malaysia. IBM has its largest hard drive plant in Thailand, so they should be cheap locally. Most laptops are made in Taiwan.

Singapore is by far the cheapest place to purchase computers and electronics. Prices are significantly cheaper than in Thailand.

Sim Lim Square in Singapore is the main IT mall, you can also try the Funan Centre on Rochor Canal. Both have complete ranges of computers and electronics, including laptops and components.

For the low cost of an airfare to Singapore, if you are planning on making a major purchase, it makes sense to go there.

Hope this helps.