PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it not being covered on any of the thai channels anymore?? A bit suspicious that...

When all the channels go off at once, to be replaced by music and a picture, you will know it is over

Back to normal programming is much preferred to the overkill coverage provided by the western media in major crisis. Just report when there is something new to report.

I reckon Samak has been told quietly behind closed doors that as soon as the Police spill a bit of PAD blood, then the army are intervening.

Thats the only reason I reckon why he keeps backing off on tough action.

Or HM the King speaks with Samak and Sondhi like 1992 and Samak is also history.

I reckon Samak has been told quietly behind closed doors that as soon as the Police spill a bit of PAD blood, then the army are intervening.

The other journalists reported him speaking to someone else yesterday.

Interior Minister calls urgent meeting with governors on PAD rally

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Kowit Wattana calls an urgent meeting of provincial governors nationwide and relevant officials via a video conference network to discuss the seizure of various state buildings by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) yesterday (August, 27th).

Interior Ministry Spokesman Suphachai Chaisamut (ศุภชัย ใจสมุทร) says the minister will request the governors to explain the situation to the people in their province and be more careful with the protestors’ blocking of roads leading to the capital.

The spokesman says Mr Kowit will also instruct the governors not to use force with the protestors and warn them against third-party people who may create violence, adding that police will take legal action against those who break laws.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 August 2008

It sounds like someone has had a word about no violence

I'm evacuating my family out of Thailand next week to join me overseas.

Smiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3006.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3000.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3004.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3002.gif

In all the history of Thailand coups and general street dissent,

the actual violence, while wholey deplorable,

has always been quite limited and localized.

Shortly after there is an violent clamp down the government falls.

Followed by confusion, but never conflagration.

Here's a word bandied about

with relatively little reference to its real meaning:

Anarchy.

1. a state of society without government or law.

Well there IS a constitution, a legislative, a judicial, a police and an army.

Sure sounds like a government to me, only the EXECUTIVE is under dispute.

2. political and social disorder due to the absence of governmental control:

The death of the king was followed by a year of anarchy.

Well the courts are proceeding, the legislative is getting no press, but they are working,

Samak is still holding meetings, taxes are collected, more or less, government is proceeding

3. a theory that regards the absence of all direct or coercive government

as a political ideal and that proposes the cooperative and voluntary association of individuals

and groups as the principal mode of organized society.

Utopia, no need for a coercive government. Reality, the need for some form of executive

that actually listens and doesn't accuse reporters asking questions

if they have had illicet sex the night before.

4. confusion; chaos; disorder: Intellectual and moral anarchy followed his loss of faith.

Ah so maybe it's your loss of faith in the Thai system that is causing your anarchy.

As I observe it PAD has been holding a mirror up to the thai political classes

and the image ain't pretty. PAD has been throwing out ideas

and waiting to see what might stick to the wall for a while.

Certainly they have over reached this week,

but too many confluences of issues were building up.

Potjamens conviction,

Thaksins leaving,

the eminent seizure of 76 BILLION in their assets

Pra Vear mishandled in a major way

Army reshuffle eminent

A trade fair run very shady like

Samak's appeal of his conviction...

PPP's likely disbanding, and several of it's partners

The rise of the Gang of Four #2.

A total re-jiggering of the political class since

Thaksin's control is significantly eroded.

Court cases against most of the cabinet,

There's more, but this is enough

The scew is turning, but Anarchy won't be squeezed out,

just some 'localized confusion' as players jockey for position.

PAD is just doing an early shot across the bows,

of the inevitable political reshuffle after exit stage-right of 'The Boss.'

But the Thai's WILL do it all without the total meltdown,

that some here are adamant at portraying.

There is clearly an hidden agenda being posted here,

and I find it disturbing that they think we are so stupid.

EVACUATE hah

if your not living next to Goverment house's gates why worry,

it's just another blip in Thai history. Not a final countdown armagedon.

Oh yeah another good line posted

"The social fabric is unravelling."

HUH, again!

Some tam is being sold, girls dance at Nana Plaza,

the hotels have guests, electronic parts get sold, TV's get fixed,

Soap Operas play to distract the ladies, vendors sell T-shirts,

fish get wrapped and katoeys vamp, and both carried home,

taxis move people around in BKK traffic jams, farahngs drink in beer gardens

and wonder if the social fabric is unraveling, A few politicians wonder about their jobs,

and some people wonder if they will sleep in their own bed tonight...

life goes on in thailand.

Edited by animatic

So if the long arm of the law ain't allowed to restrain them or give 'em a clip around the ear, then they'll just run amuk. Appealing to the rioters better nature isn't going to solve it.

Total anarchy.

Looting, non-payment of barfines, higher beer costs, jaywalking and littering.

....and micturating willy nilly.

Edited by Journalist

Or HM the King speaks with Samak and Sondhi like 1992 and Samak is also history.

HM has already spoken with Samak and said 'be gentle', violence is no longer an option for him.

Yes! Forgot that.....

That means that the PAD has the green light to make an even bigger idiot out of him....

Than everything makes a lot more sense:

Army might don't follow Samak

HM the King told him to "be gently" so he can hardly use the police full power as Chamlong will fight=blood.

So he can only bark like an old dog without teeth.

PAD knows that and show everyone that they can do everything and no one has to worry about Samak, in the hope that Samak understand the message and resign.

Samak on the other hand seems to hope that he can stay long enough for some mega projects....

So if the long arm of the law ain't allowed to restrain them or give 'em a clip around the ear, then they'll just run amuk. Appealing to the rioters better nature isn't going to solve it.

Total anarchy.

you think it get that worse :o ?

I thought maybe a few hundred dead, military junta like Myanmar is all we risk to see.....

PAD's protest activities disapproved by majority

BANGKOK: - More than 70 per cent of the people condemned the People's Alliance for Democracy for its Tuesday's protest activities, Bangkok University Poll said on Wednesday.

Was that another of those famous polls where they question 23 people and call that a majority opinion.

A survey of their surveys reveals your facetious number isn't really all that far off from the literal number...

The Bangkok University survey covered 1,985 adult residents of the city

Bangkok University revealed the survey was conducted on June 28th and 29th, and the samples comprised 1,116 people

The Bangkok University's Bangkok Poll, interviewed 1,228 people living in Bangkok

Oh yes SJ... I guess all these people in the offices, countryside, and who work through out this are really in full support of this mob....

Total anarchy.

you think it get that worse :o ?

I thought maybe a few hundred dead, military junta like Myanmar is all we risk to see.....

Yes, I can imagine those of anarchic proclivities simply shrugging and saying...."I am not paying. Hard luck. Do your worst."

That means that the PAD has the green light to make an even bigger idiot out of him....

Is that possible? :-)

Thats hard, but he is trying hard......

His threats get boring....."I can't accept that, police and army will ... by any means.....blablabla" and than nothing again.

Everyone else would resign, even Thaksin called a snap-election.

Read my post again - it doesn't matter if he is right or wrong - he failed as a leader because half the country doesn't recognise him.

35,000 laying siege in Bangkok is not ALL Pad support nationwide. Some people haev difficulty comprehending that for every person out in the street there are many more staying home and cheering them.

Yes, it appears that this time PAD's actions are bewildering to many of its own supporters, BUT

Samak has to go simply for not being able to prevent this confrontation.

Are you being serious, how would he be able to prevent this confrontation. He needs to end this as quickly and without too much violence.

It's too late for him to try and solve it, it's gone too far. He could have prevented it by serving the country for the last haf year instead of Thaksin and his puppets in PPP.

I read today's editorials and opinions in the Nation and there's a widespread condemnation of PAD.

Generally they say that Samak should serve out his term as he has been fairly elected. Fair point, if you think that having a puppet government in service of a criminals and fugitives is ok, because it was elected.

This time PAD is not trying to pretend that being "fairly elected" makes Samak legitimate. They just had enough of this nonsense - convicted criminal on his last appeal as a PM, covering for tax evading fugitive. Samak has somewhat distanced himself from Thaksin, but then just last week he turned around at that PPP meeting. Some commentators called him two-faced for trying to please both camps.

PAD is having none of it anymore. I think it's very courageous of them to make this stand regardless of what the international media or half-hearted people say. The right thing is the right thing, and now they are trying to do something about it instead of hiding behind "corruption is everywhere, no one is clean" excuses.

PAD receives Bt6.6 million and 80 baht gold in six days

BANGKOK: - People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang on Wednesday announced that he received public contributions amounting to Bt6.6 million and gold weighed 80 baht worth more than Bt1 million.

The contributions were solicited in the past six days to finance the PAD-led protests and pay the staff of ASTV, the satellite television station which is the PAD's mouthpiece.

Chamlong said he had already designated a successor to handle the funds if he was arrested by police.

-- The Nation 2008-08-27

Court-approved warrants issued to arrest PAD leaders

The Criminal Court has approved the police request to issue warrants to arrest the PAD leaders on charges relating to the Tuesday's unruly protests. The warrants were out in the early afternoon of Wednesday.

As soon as receiving the news on the warrants, PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang walked to sit among the crowds on the lawn of Government House to await his arrest.

Police are expected to apprehend about seven to eight core leaders.

-- The Nation 2008-08-27

This is an interesting item in one of The Nation's articles posted on their web site this morning.... This is the first reference I've seen to this kind of involvement in the situation....

"I was granted an audience with His Majesty the King. His Majesty asked me to enforce the law with extreme caution, to be soft and gentle. I beg all of you to understand and sympathise with me," Samak was quoted by an official source as telling the Cabinet.

"Soft and gentle" were the words Samak used yesterday in his news conference with foreign media... They seemed very uncharacteristic for him to use, given his style and history... Wonder if that direction came from a different source...

Given you already pointed out in paragraph 2 that the direction came from another source, then you've answered the question you ask in Paragraph 3

PAD's protest activities disapproved by majority

BANGKOK: - More than 70 per cent of the people condemned the People's Alliance for Democracy for its Tuesday's protest activities, Bangkok University Poll said on Wednesday.

Was that another of those famous polls where they question 23 people and call that a majority opinion.

A survey of their surveys reveals your facetious number isn't really all that far off from the literal number...

The Bangkok University survey covered 1,985 adult residents of the city

Bangkok University revealed the survey was conducted on June 28th and 29th, and the samples comprised 1,116 people

The Bangkok University's Bangkok Poll, interviewed 1,228 people living in Bangkok

Oh yes SJ... I guess all these people in the offices, countryside, and who work through out this are really in full support of this mob....

1,000 university students of adult age polled

1,000 taxi drivers polled

1,000 house wives in food markets polled

1,000 members of the chamber of commerce polled.

1,000 girls on Soi Cowboy polled

1,000 computer programmers polled

1,000 som tam vendors polled.

1,000 CEO's polled

Think the majorities will ring the same each time?

Polling small numbers is the art of deciding

WHO to poll to match your choosen results...

There is no question that Samak had an audience with HM the King yesterday. Samak has been open about this. I don't know why it seems like such a big secret here.

There is no question that Samak had an audience with HM the King yesterday. Samak has been open about this. I don't know why it seems like such a big secret here.

I would be very concerned if he hadn't.

^^

Its the 'what if' scenario that is a mystery. Not the fact there was a meeting.

"What if I do send in the cops to keep the peace and a few heads get cracked?" muses Samak to anyone who wants to listen.....

Possible answer "The tanks and troops come out of their barracks within half an hour."

Edited by Journalist

This is an interesting item in one of The Nation's articles posted on their web site this morning.... This is the first reference I've seen to this kind of involvement in the situation....

"I was granted an audience with His Majesty the King. His Majesty asked me to enforce the law with extreme caution, to be soft and gentle. I beg all of you to understand and sympathise with me," Samak was quoted by an official source as telling the Cabinet.

"Soft and gentle" were the words Samak used yesterday in his news conference with foreign media... They seemed very uncharacteristic for him to use, given his style and history... Wonder if that direction came from a different source...

I am going to bump this up as it seems many missed this.

Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner General inspects NBT compound

The Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner General is inspecting damage at the National Broadcasting Television (NBT) compound caused by People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters during a riot yesterday (August 26).

Pol. Gen. Chongrak Chutanon (จงรัก จุฑานนท์ )reports that officers have apprehended 85 suspects, and seized an additional 5 unregistered firearms. Police found that several protesters were armed with flag poles with sharpened ends, machetes, knives, slingshots with metal pellets, brass knuckles, golf clubs, and hatchets. Kratom leaves, which are class - 5 narcotics were also seized from protesters.

The Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner General conducted a meeting of investigative personnel to determine the owner of each weapons in order to file charges against them. Police were able to levy 5 additional charges on suspects, including civil disturbance, trespassing on government property, possession of firearms without permission, possession of radio sets without permission, possession of weapons in public, and possession of class - 5 narcotics.

Pol. Gen. Chongrak said that the court has authorized the detention of all 85 suspects for 12 days prior to their trials. Attorneys have been assigned to the suspects, who have all plead not guilty. If convicted, the defendants each face more than 5 years in prison. The deputy commissioner general affirms that the attack on the NBT compound was definitely not staged, as police officers possess sufficient witnesses and evidence to convict PAD suspects. Authorities will be expanding investigations to convict additional suspects believed to be involved in the incident.

The Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner General reports that damage to the NBT compound is substantial, with a lounge dedicated to HRH Princess Ubol Ratana (ทูลกระหม่อมหญิงอุบลรัตนราชกัญญา สิริวัฒนาพรรณวด) partly damaged along the entrance. NBT officials will submit a full list of damage sustained to the compount to police officers promptly.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 August 2008