PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Banharn in urgent meeting with allies

Samak's allies hold urgent meeting at Banharn's house

Leaders of the People Power Party's key coalition partners were meeting at Chat Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa's residence Friday evening, informed sources said.

Amid speculation that allies' pressure would be needed to force Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to step down, the coalition parties' leaders, with exception of Pracharat leader Snoh thienthong, were still huddling at Banharn's house at 9.30 pm.

It had been reported that Banharn was planning a press conference at 9 pm. Then it was reported that he decided to cancel the meeting.

- The Nation

A no-confidence vote initiated by Banharn and supported by the minor parties- and that's the end of the government. Well- could be worse. PPP dissolved-and a watered down version -which loses due in part to its open rejection of Thaksin (it has learned). Democrats win.

If the no confidence vote sparks a new general election, who could have thought that Banharn would end up being the custodian and saviour of democracy. And who says Thai politics is easy to understand.

LOL

You sure got that right. What screamingly grand irony.

Not even the worst soap opera writer could think it up

I guess you never look Thai soap operas....They are exactly on that level.

You obviously don't know much about Banharn.

I know about him, but not very much......I thought a dinosaur which won't be much longer in politics.....

Seems I was wrong on that.

He never sinks, put it like that.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New elections would be fine with me. PPP only got about 35% of the vote last time around, they'll get even less in a new election. If the 65% of Thais who did not vote for the PPP had been able to vote for a single opposition, instead of spreading their votes among several parties claiming to be anti Thaksin, this situation wouldn't exist to begin with.

Does anyone have any real information here.

How many people are actually protesting.

62,432... errr, what a sec, one more just went to the hospital, so it's 62,431

How many areas are effected.

141... oops, the Sriracha Airport is closed now, so that's 142

How many police are on standby.

on standby? 1... he's still sleeping off a bit of 100 Pipers over-indulgence from earlier today.

There would seem to be a very big lack actual information at the moment

Thaivisa... the hub of very exacting information.

The police still denial they used teargas or any rubber bullets to shoot protesters that injured number of protesters, and are unable to answer TNN reporter questions about those injured that are bring send to hospital.

My staff just came back from the police station, they just confirmed teargas and shooting.

The shooting was most probably rubber bullets.

No one from them injured, and what really surprise me, they are not shocked at all.

Not shocked says a lot. Only farangs get shocked at this.

It is of course entirely possible that an 'outside agency' decided to

speed the plow of Samak's exit. Rubber bullits and tear gas

need not be fired from visible places, they just need to be on target.

Since we all have been expecting some police screw up it is right on time.

It could be military, it could be another political party wanting to push for a

new deal as Samak leaves, lots of puppet master possiblities here.

Not just a nervous police major screwing the pooch on international TV.

They got told again and again and again from Chamlong what may happen and what to do exactly, so they expected it.....

Crack some heads of PAD scum - time to stop the madness!

Dude.

I disagree with the majority of your posts, and I disagree with this one immensley

Instead of responding angrily I would like to politley remind you that innocent people may lose their lives in the near future, whether or not you agree with them do they deserve to die because they have a different opinion to the government?

Please just take a step back, think about the potential consequensies (Sp?) of heads being "cracked", and tone it down a bit.

Please.

Please -

Think you are wasting your time with this one - just look at the name - probably learnt the "art" of cracking heads as a pommie or taffy football hooligan. :o

Edited by Artisi

Please just take a step back, think about the potential consequensies (Sp?) of heads being "cracked", and tone it down a bit.

Please.

Curious why would someone put themselves in such a dangerous position? If they hadn't raided the govt buildings this would have never happened. I'm all for peaceful protests within the confines of the law. :D

Funny thing is the poor pawns are the ones who will suffer for Sondhi, spose they are getting well paid for it though. :D

Oh well I'll give myself a holiday from this thread. At the end of the day what we think has little consequence to anything that happens in Thailand.

Long Live The King!!! :o

Edited by britmaveric

People please keep the discussion around the issues and not personally attack each other or try to incite others with posts of "crack some heads" or "PAD Scum" etc.

Posts of this nature will result in suspension of posting rights.

Thanks

General Panlop just been shown in an interview on channel 9 repeating the remarks he made in the Bangkok Post. Apart from saying the attack on the t.v station was his idea he went on to say he is not as patient as Chamlong and that he was trying to provoke a heavy handed response from the govournment should they not step down voluntarily so that he would have an excuse to act.

While he was talking there was a steady stream of SMS messages not taking either side but just expressing horror at the turn of events and commending the police for their patience. I cannot believe that this is what SJ , Tony and the others think is the best way forward for Thailand ?????? If people like this ever get their hands on power it will be a long time for the Thai people to suffer, the economy will nosedive....in short, one of the blackest episodes in Thai History.

AH, that makes perfect sense. It really didn't fit the PAD attacking at 5am,

but a third unexpected party, like the good general.. hhmmm fits nicely the scenario.

And now the satalite is blacked out. Wait and see, wait and see.

Samak should have left last night...

General Panlop just been shown in an interview on channel 9 repeating the remarks he made in the Bangkok Post. Apart from saying the attack on the t.v station was his idea he went on to say he is not as patient as Chamlong and that he was trying to provoke a heavy handed response from the govournment should they not step down voluntarily so that he would have an excuse to act.

While he was talking there was a steady stream of SMS messages not taking either side but just expressing horror at the turn of events and commending the police for their patience. I cannot believe that this is what SJ , Tony and the others think is the best way forward for Thailand ?????? If people like this ever get their hands on power it will be a long time for the Thai people to suffer, the economy will nosedive....in short, one of the blackest episodes in Thai History.

I can't believe it either... as I've never said that.

Samak will be asked to step down by his key allies: informed sources

Leaders of the People Power Party's key coalition partners have agreed to ask Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to step down, sources said.

The decision were made at a meeting at Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa's residence late Friday evening, the sources said.

The Nation

but a third unexpected party, like the good general.. hhmmm fits nicely the scenario.

No that guy is not silly....He would have won....Like with the bomb for Thaksin, he told it was not him, because if he would have planed it, Thaksin would be dead.

And I believe that.

If he would have done the attack they would have all their AKA-47 or M16 and not the funny weapons they had.

"Samak will be asked to step down by his key allies: informed sources

Leaders of the People Power Party's key coalition partners have agreed to ask Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to step down, sources said. "

The decision were made at a meeting at Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa's residence late Friday evening, the sources said.

The Nation

Then someone should advise PAD as they seem unaware of it.

Edited by Artisi

I've got a few students down at the demonstrations. Some of them have been going with their families. They have not been paid to go down there. They're nice kids, a bit naive certainly, not a clue about some of the more dubious ideas and characters around the PAD, but genuinely enthusiastic about it all. And not a violent thought between them.

They are not scum.

They don't need their heads cracked.

I think the experience will do them some good. It'll give them something to think about and it's just good to see these kids actually becoming engaged in something outside MSN and the television.

SAMAK ON THE ROPES

Allies' and Army's support for PM wavers

Leaders of the People Power Party's key coalition partners held an urgent meeting Friday night, while Army chief Anupong Paojinda rejected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's call for a state of emergency.

There were reports that Anupong, at a private meeting with Samak, also suggested that the latter either resign or dissolve the House of Representatives, a source said.

The Anupong-Samak meeting took place after Samak, who was also defence minister, met armed forces' top brass at a Defence Council at the Thai Armed Forces headquarters.

Anupong on Friday also ruled out a coup, saying it was not a way to solve the current crisis.

There was strong speculation Friday evening that a similar advice could soon be extended to Samak by his allies. They had an emergency meeting at Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa's residence late Friday evening.

The allies discussed a proposal for Samak to resign, instead of dissolving the House of Representatives, according to the sources. However, a TV report said that after the heated debate, the coalition partners agreed to continue backing Samak.

As the People Alliance for Democracy increased nationwide pressure on the government, political attention turned to the allies, whose pressure would be needed if Samak was to be forced to step down.

Deputy Prime Minsiter and senior Chart Thai member Sanan Kachornprasart was said to be the one who "coordinated" the meeting.

Earlier, it had been reported that Banharn was planning a press conference at 9 pm. Then it was reported that he decided to cancel the meeting.

Allies' withdrawal of support would mean the government would virtually collapse. Samak would either have to resign or dissolve Parliament.

Samak's resignation would mean Parliament would have to elect another MP as prime minister.

The present Constitution stipulates that the prime minister must be an elected MP. However, "suspension" of certain constitutional clauses, it is believed, will be enough to pave the way for appointment of a non-MP prime minister if necessary.

The Nation

Now will you finally believe what I have been telling you since Tuesday morning 6am that Samak is finished?

Army commander Anupong Paojinda has rejected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's call for a state of emergency and suggested instead the premier either resign or dissolve the House of Representatives to ease tensions, a source said.

Gen Anupong made the recommendation in a 15-minute private meeting with Mr Samak which took place shortly after the Defence Council meeting between top military brass and Mr Samak, who is also defence minister.

Before a Defence Council meeting Gen Anupong ruled out a coup, saying he did not see how it would resolve the problem - although generals always have denied they planned a coup through all 17 previous military seizures of power.

Just minutes after he drove out of the Defence Ministry after the meeting, Gen Anupong was summoned back for the meeting with Mr Samak, to discuss escalating tensions at Government House where the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) was camping out for a fourth day.

According to the source, Mr Samak asked whether the army was ready to handle the situation if he declared a state of emergency on Friday night.

The source said Gen Anupong disagreed with invocation of the emergency law out of fear of violence.

"He refuses to mobilise troops even if the prime minister goes ahead and declares a state of emergency. He wants the prime minister to first deploy police to handle the situation," said the source.

The army chief also asked Mr Samak to consider resigning or dissolving the House of Representatives as possible options, the source said.

He also said the current situation did not warrant a state of emergency or invocation of the internal security law.

The army chief said the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) would not step in to take control of the situation as there were several steps to go through.

Gen Anupong also called on PAD leaders and the government to resolve the conflict through talks while expressing confidence that the police could handle the situation.

He said he had suggested national police chief Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan not use force and urged PAD demonstrators to respect court orders.

Meanwhile, First Army commander Prayuth Chan-ocha has put two battalions on security alert and instructed all units in Bangkok to go on stand-by.

A source in the army said that troops were likely to step in if there were attacks on government agencies.

The source also said if the military were to stage a coup and bring down the Samak government, it would also "take down" PAD in the process.

"The last coup is proof that the military cannot take sides with any party. A coup is to restore order," said the source.

SAMAK ON THE ROPES

Leaders of the People Power Party's key coalition partners held an urgent meeting Friday night, while Army chief Anupong Paojinda rejected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's call for a state of emergency.

There were reports that Anupong, at a private meeting with Samak, also suggested that the latter either resign or dissolve the House of Representatives, a source said.

The Anupong-Samak meeting took place after Samak, who was also defence minister, met armed forces' top brass at a Defence Council at the Thai Armed Forces headquarters.

Anupong on Friday also ruled out a coup, saying it was not a way to solve the current crisis.

There was strong speculation Friday evening that a similar advice could soon be extended to Samak by his allies. They had an emergency meeting at Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa's residence late Friday evening.

The allies discussed a proposal for Samak to resign, instead of dissolving the House of Representatives, according to the sources. However, a TV report said that after the heated debate, the coalition partners agreed to continue backing Samak.

As the People Alliance for Democracy increased nationwide pressure on the government, political attention turned to the allies, whose pressure would be needed if Samak was to be forced to step down.

Deputy Prime Minsiter and senior Chart Thai member Sanan Kachornprasart was said to be the one who "coordinated" the meeting.

Earlier, it had been reported that Banharn was planning a press conference at 9 pm. Then it was reported that he decided to cancel the meeting.

Allies' withdrawal of support would mean the government would virtually collapse. Samak would either have to resign or dissolve Parliament.

Samak's resignation would mean Parliament would have to elect another MP as prime minister.

The present Constitution stipulates that the prime minister must be an elected MP. However, "suspension" of certain constitutional clauses, it is believed, will be enough to pave the way for appointment of a non-MP prime minister if necessary.

The Nation

If Samak resigns but the coalition stays intact, will that be sufficient for the PAD to go home?

Non MP PM, not Pallop surely?

No that guy is not silly....He would have won....Like with the bomb for Thaksin, he told it was not him, because if he would have planed it, Thaksin would be dead.

And I believe that.

If he would have done the attack they would have all their AKA-47 or M16 and not the funny weapons they had.

Yes,

surely not a soul would have lived from the station if he had sent the bad boys...

if he WANTED to win... but that would look pro, and PAD would never be

mistaken for professional warriors...

But what he likely wanted was a PR disaster for the government and PAD,

causing an army take over and he gets to run a faction, and he nearly got that PR disaster.

And / or he wanted his old friend to be forcably taken away,

so HE could take over; a white knight savior...

I think this is likely revenge for Thaksin's taking him out after the bomb set up.

I never bought that one either. It was a set up of his idiot driver to implicate him.

And he lost that job, likely because Dr. T. was appearing right paranoid around that time.

And as they say, just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you...

Edited by animatic

SAMAK ON THE ROPES

The Nation

If Samak resigns but the coalition stays intact, will that be sufficient for the PAD to go home?

Never Panlop. If a non elected MP, it could be someone like Chavalit with the caveat that it is only until the next election.

For the record, I believe that the voting requirements will be changed for the next election. I don't see this Wiki thing being discussed this morning, but rather an educational requirement to qualify to vote which would be enforced. It would lead to local village heads pushing education which would be an upside, but for the time being would remove the threat of Thaksin incarnates continually being elected.

That is just my view and I expect a lot will disagree.

SAMAK ON THE ROPES

The Nation

Never Panlop. If a non elected MP, it could be someone like Chavalit with the caveat that it is only until the next election.

Agree. Panlop has destroyed Samak in 24 hours. That was his job. Not taking over PMship. Chavalit or Anand (better) or anyone who is better then Samak

Now will you finally believe what I have been telling you since Tuesday morning 6am that Samak is finished?

The army chief said the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) would not step in to take control of the situation as there were several steps to go through.

General P's old job...

Meanwhile, First Army commander Prayuth Chan-ocha has put two battalions on security alert and instructed all units in Bangkok to go on stand-by.

A source in the army said that troops were likely to step in if there were attacks on government agencies.

The source also said if the military were to stage a coup and bring down the Samak government, it would also "take down" PAD in the process.

"The last coup is proof that the military cannot take sides with any party. A coup is to restore order," said the source.

Well well that left the door wide open.

So WHO might want to ''attack government agencies"

Who might want to create dis-order for fun and profit...

Well the UBC satalite is on, just needed a card reset and start,

but what I night for that to happen. Un-lax, sort of.

Edited by animatic

That's naive thinking.....PAD, going home ?

Sondhi wants it all the way....

The steering wheel of Thailand post-13995-1220025528_thumb.jpg

So he's able to -FINALLY- enjoy REAL POWER post-13995-1220025587_thumb.jpg

And, the Thai people will follow their new leader to a bright new future:

post-13995-1220025650_thumb.jpg :o

LaoPo

For the record, I believe that the voting requirements will be changed for the next election. I don't see this Wiki thing being discussed this morning, but rather an educational requirement to qualify to vote which would be enforced. It would lead to local village heads pushing education which would be an upside, but for the time being would remove the threat of Thaksin incarnates continually being elected.

Well it might set up a business much like English teachers and the Kao San degrees. hel_l they can't even check if current MP's have real degrees let alone the entire population. It still doesn't guarantee that the PAD will get the party they want anyway and who says educated people can't be bought?

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen.

SAMAK ON THE ROPES

The Nation

Agree. Panlop has destroyed Samak in 24 hours. That was his job. Not taking over PMship. Chavalit or Anand (better) or anyone who is better then Samak

I can't say whether Anand would do this again or not, but I do know in 06 he said continuously that those days are over for him. I suspect he hasn't changed his mind.

Better not be Chavalit, he's a bit player now for good reason. I'd almost take Banharn back before Chavalit...but he was elected :o

If non-MP - there are a lot of respectable people that could fill the role - the real question is, who would put themselves in the hot seat?

Edited by onethailand

I've got a few students down at the demonstrations. Some of them have been going with their families. They have not been paid to go down there. They're nice kids, a bit naive certainly, not a clue about some of the more dubious ideas and characters around the PAD, but genuinely enthusiastic about it all. And not a violent thought between them.

They are not scum.

They don't need their heads cracked.

I think the experience will do them some good. It'll give them something to think about and it's just good to see these kids actually becoming engaged in something outside MSN and the television.

I agree with your post.

I've just been speaking with my husband who's been at the site since Tuesday. Even he, as a Buddhist, was moved by the 'nam jai' of his fellow Thais. He told me everyone was helping each other with food and water. Thousands of them.

There were some five to six hundred police up in Government House awaiting orders, but soon saw they would have been overwhelmed by the sheer numbers who turned up for the rally and daren't leave. They hadn't had anything to eat for three days, and the only water was from a tap for washing. The people at the rally gave them food and water.

He also told me that when the police attempted to remove some people by force, they simply sat and looked at them and asked, 'you going to hit me? I won't stop you' in true Buddhist form. But he told me that for the majority of rally attendees, it wasn't at all dangerous, and what is shown on the tv are just a very small percentage of any trouble or violence there.

I think it would do some of the posters on this forum a world of good to be able to share this kind of experience.

More info please.

Are you saying that there will be a certain level of education required to vote.

SAMAK ON THE ROPES

The Nation

I can't say whether Anand would do this again or not, but I do know in 06 he said continuously that those days are over for him. I suspect he hasn't changed his mind.

Well there has to be someone this time around. 2006 is different from now

Well it might set up a business much like English teachers and the Kao San degrees. hel_l they can't even check if current MP's have real degrees let alone the entire population. It still doesn't guarantee that the PAD will get the party they want anyway and who says educated people can't be bought?

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen.

There are a lot of holes in it, I know, but there are upsides when you think about it. It may create an incentive for people to get an education and it would satisfy certain power groups for the time being.

Edited by Old Man River