PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

It's just not been his week... :o

PM says Administrative Court has no power to stop ASTV from broadcasting

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej expressed disappointment stating that that the Administrative Court has no mandate to pull the plug off ASTV, a satellite television operated by PAD Leader Sondhi Limthongkul, from broadcasting. Samak said ASTV's news presentation has contributed to chaos in the country.

The premier also supports the court's order which rejects PAD's request for the revocation of arrest warrants against nine PAD leaders. He says further that ASTV propagandizes and encourages people to join the PAD rally.

The premier elaborates that the Administrative Court has no power to stop ASTV from broadcasting as it is run by a private company. He says, however, that the court can order television stations to air, but cannot order them to stop airing. He also says the rally is way beyond the expression of rights in line with Article 63 of the Constitution.

The premier affirms he is still patient and it is not time to enforce Emergency Decree, adding that police has never used tear gas with the protestors. *with Reuters and Associated Press saying otherwise*

- ThaiNews (today)

yes that is bad for Samak-o-saurus! There are courts.....I am sure he thinks, courts are not needed at all.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... He's not better than T. maybe he is better, coz t. is out and s. is in?

** Sondhi ended up declaring himself bankrupt for three years. This meant that his THB 1.5 billion debt could be claimed from whatever was in his personal account for a span three years, rather than having to repay the debt over 15 or 20 years as earlier scheduled. cheating coward ! clever and cheating seems to be the same here, but why coward?

*** Sondhi's income skyrocketed as a result of his political activism. Revenues of his media companies increased by no less than 215 million baht (approx $6 million US) a month from the start of his protests to early 2006. are you serious? 6 mio us$ per month increase, he should be a better leader than tax-sin

seriously you should consider to change your 'heroe' from t. to s. you seem to worship money........

Many many businesses went tits up after '97,

look at the ghosts of skyscrapers littering Bangkok and the coasts.

Some like Sondhi's lingered further but things went right pear shaped.

Eventually many well managed businesses also went bankrupt for a time

it's either backrupt or out of business. Bankrupcie laws are there also as ways to

SAVE business if possible since business are engines of commerce and create jobs.

Not just to salvage sontags on the baht for creditors.

Through the normal networking of Bangkok connections Sondhi recouped

and restarted and got back in the game. Why did they help him?

Because he had a track record of actual running a successful business prior

to the HUGE crash that took out or damaged EVERYONE.

It is not a surprise that he got running again. It is also in hind site not a surprise

that one of the people in the old boy network that helped interactively in getting

his and other companies solvent again was Dr. T. But in hind site also it is pretty

clear that it was only a question of time before Thaksin also pulled the plug and

stuck him for what ever reasons he had at the time. Likely some un spoken

quid pro quo demand too far. Sondhi has seen the dragon close up,

and that goes a long way to see why he's made his pact with many devils to

pay Dr. T. back the favor.

You can gripe that Sondhi's stock has risen again,

But most anyone with talent for that time of '97

managed to do deals and get back in the game.

This ain't much of a 'shocking story', cause it's SO TYPICAL....

Edited by animatic

Why oh why almost all guavas ( farangs) here lose their times to post bullshit and repeat bullshit all over and over again for the last 5 days. You really want to do something constructive! Well you can start a new movement the PARPIT: PEOPLE'S ALLIANCE FOR RESOLVING PROBLEMS IN THAILAND. Then you can go rally in Khao Sarn Rd.

Seriously this is not your country. If you are not happy here than go elsewhere. Stop bitching about each others. I am a farang living here also and I like this country. But what I read is unbelievable.

Why so many peoples in this forum can support a bunch of "bandits des grands chemins" like the PAD leaders .They have no respect for nothing. Samak was elected. Vote buying or not. He is the PM now. And he will decide whatever he want and you can't change nothing.

Why don't you relax and go every day in a park where the grass is always green near your home and be at peace with yourself.

This my first post and will be my last .

C'est tous? Definativement? Merci. Au revoir.

A la prochiane!

Tu parles Francais comme une vache espagnole :o:D:D

(l'expression originale etant "comme un basque l'espagnol")

Le Moo!

Je n'ecrit pas bein en française c'est sure, mais tu comprendait.

Nimois, 18eme, mais pas français vrai, de so lait <vachement les moo.

Edited by animatic

Still I see posters that seem to think this is about ending corruption in Thailand. I guess it's nice to believe in something. Surely the PAD and it's leadership don't want that. They want to get their hands into the cooky jar again, that's all..

i am one of those who believe in something, albeit not in pad. who do you suggest to fight corruption? tax-sin?samak? any better idea than pad?? or do you want toxin to stay in sole possesion of the cooky jar? is that all?

Still I see posters that seem to think this is about ending corruption in Thailand. I guess it's nice to believe in something. Surely the PAD and it's leadership don't want that. They want to get their hands into the cooky jar again, that's all..

i am one of those who believe in something, albeit not in pad. who do you suggest to fight corruption? tax-sin?samak? any better idea than pad?? or do you want toxin to stay in sole possesion of the cooky jar? is that all?

Tourists stranded in Phuket as protests close resort airport

HUNDREDS of Australian tourists are stuck in Phuket after anti-government protests closed the Thai resort island's airport.

About 15,000 foreign visitors are estimated to have been stranded since protesters marched on the airport, the nation's second busiest, forcing the cancellation of nearly 120 flights a day.

Edmund Bebel, from Brisbane, was in Phuket for a holiday and was due to fly home to Brisbane via Singapore on Saturday. "This morning I was supposed to be in Brisbane but I am still in Thailand," Mr Bebel said yesterday. "It was a beautiful holiday, but now it has become a nightmare."Mr Bebel said he was having difficulty contacting his travel insurer, which was being inundated with calls from holiday-makers in Thailand. "I don't have any money. I tried to pay for the hotel on my credit card but there was not enough money on it. I am trying to call my travel insurance but it's difficult. And the airport is still closed so I don't know when we can go home," he said.

A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it was difficult to know exactly how many Australians were stranded by the political turmoil.

"All we can say is that at the height of the season there can be as many as 20,000 Australians in Phuket at one time," he said. He added that the airlines were accommodating passengers in local hotels, but consular assistance would be made available to anyone who needed it.

Sydney woman Megan Myers was supposed to fly out to Singapore from Phuket this morning with her husband, two young children, and her brother-in-law and his wife. But she said the barricade meant travellers could not even get near the airport. "They have to drop you 20 minutes away from the airport so you have to walk with your luggage, and then wait to find out if the planes are going," Ms Myers said.

But she said the mood in Phuket was relaxed. "If you didn't know, you'd just think it was normal, except for a few people talking on the street about it."

Some had opted to make a seven-hour bus trip to Bangkok, but Ms Myers said she was not concerned about being stuck in Phuket. "I'm not fussed if they don't fly for another 48 hours. I'd rather be stuck here than in Bangkok," she said. The family is living in Singapore.

Australian man Danny Muller, owner of the Little Aussie Bar on Kamala Beach in Phuket, said many of his friends had been inconvenienced by the protest. "It hasn't been real good. I've got one friend who came the other day who had to jump the fence to get out of the airport because all the people were barricading the gates," Mr Muller said. "Another mate can't get out. He's due back at work but he can't get a flight." Mr Muller said his sister was due to arrive in Phuket on Wednesday and he hoped the airport was open by then.

Protesters are calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej.

- Herald Sun (Australia) / 2008-09-01 (time difference in effect)

Remember what political party has dominated in the South for years and has a great deal of influence over the local goverment organizations.

I think I do, it was Wadah faction, originally with Chavalit's NAP, then it was absorbed into TRT. Their leader, Muhammad Nor Matha rose to the position of Interior Minister.

They were soundly beaten in 2005 elections when they lost all their seats, now some of them came back again, under Pua Paendin banner.

I assume you were talking about Deep South.

I have said it before so some here might get a bit miffed at me repeating it but basically the situation is that Thailand is in a transitional period between a feudal system and democracy. With the powerful elite ruling class pushing for an extension of the old feudal system and the majority poor peasant class pushing for a more equatable democratic system...

Oh, not that load of &lt;deleted&gt; again - if what you say is true, then why is the majority of poor peasant class keep voting for feudal families that lorded over them for generations?

These corrupt, power hungry leeches have a complete and total grip on elections process through wide and strong network of canvassers, and severe punishment for those who step out of line.

They are also the ones that "new politics" proposal wants to purge from the system once and for all.

Rosana says government worsens situation with tough police actions

<H2></H2>Senator Rosana Tositrakul Sunday said the government has worsened the situation by having police take tough actions against the protesters Friday by assaulting them and demolishing their rally facilities.

She said the government also made the situation worse by raising treason charges against the protesters. She said such a tough charge would drive more people to come out to join the rallies.

Rosana said the government would have to change its behaviors to try to tackle the crisis.

The Nation

Footnote: She has been on PAD's stage several time this week.

Rosana is lucky she doesn't live in an advanced western democracy where such illegal acts of anarchy would be promptly put down by riot squads using all reasonable force including trungeons, tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons. She quite obviously has her own agenda.

Rosana says government worsens situation with tough police actions

Senator Rosana Tositrakul Sunday said the government has worsened the situation by having police take tough actions against the protesters Friday by assaulting them and demolishing their rally facilities.

She said the government also made the situation worse by raising treason charges against the protesters. She said such a tough charge would drive more people to come out to join the rallies.

Rosana said the government would have to change its behaviors to try to tackle the crisis.

The Nation

Footnote: She has been on PAD's stage several time this week.

Natthawut blames PAD for problems

People Power Party MP Natthawut Saikua Sunday blamed the People's Alliance for Democracy for the on-going political crisis.

He said the PAD causes the problems by violating the laws.

He said the PAD's demands for the government not to amend the Constitution also contradicted its own demand to establish a new order of politics.

Natthawut said the PAD's seizure of the Government House and raids against several government offices also led to complaints of many people who wondered whether the country belonged to the PAD.

The Nation

Footnote: :D He is a co-founder of DADD.

Natthawut is lucky he doesn't live in an advanced western democracy where such illegal acts of assault and battery and public rioting would be promptly put down by riot squads using all reasonable force including trungeons, tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons. He quite obviously has his own agenda.

They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Thank you.

ASTV is born, contested then allowed by the courts, Thaksin zombies fail with PTV. :D

PTV costs a lot, parasitic PTV zombies take over NBT and fail yet again, now under investigation for holding so many shares. :D

PAD has rallies, PTV can't as Thaksin zombies are too demanding as they must be fed baht notes as often as hummingbirds feed.

PTV zombies try to imitate PAD leaders by riding on top of truck with loudspeaker but end up in jail. :D

ASTV protesters get a whistle to hang around their necks, PTV zombies think of a gong. :o

Monkey see monkey do.

Jonathan Head of the BBC last week reported that the PAD were sick and tired of so-called 'democratically' elected governments who were time and time again corrupt.

This is surely - from anyone's perspective - an intolerable situation and in this matter I support the PAD whole-heartedly.

ekw106.jpg

A Thai man drinks water next to a huge store of bottled water for the thousands of protesters occupying the Thai Prime Minister's office Sunday Aug. 31, 2008 in Bangkok, Thailand. Thailand's Parliament convened an emergency session Sunday at the request of the country's embattled prime minister, who acknowledged that his administration cannot control spiraling anti-government protest as thousands of protesters remained camped out at his official compound for a sixth day.

Associated Press

While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

remember remember the 5th of november. the english are trying since more than 400 years and still have no more than thatcher, blair and brown. can't you britons remember and/or stay a bit more modest? the us are trying since more than 200 years and still have no more than george bush. they also better stay out of discussion about democray in thailand. only the thais can find solutions, if not in parliament or in poor isaan villages, maybe in bkk streets or hkt?

Interesting point h90

The 'coup installed junta government',

USUALLY buzzwords for corrup violent and extraordinarily repressive,

was basically orderly and pretty much like curmugeonly grandfathers.

The griped about morals of the children and made vague attemps

to regulate societal mores, to little effect. They were actually if anything

to light handed considering how the election turned out.

They did get a consitution that is strick enough to need PPP

making a serious attempt at an end run.

They certainly DID try to repress the TRT / PPP propaganda machine,

with apparently little success. And it seems the country is paying the

price now for that lack of success.

No Anand's gov. wasn't perfect, but yes, the before and after must really be confusing

some of the Thais, and might go a long way to their being less bothered about

another army take over vs the corruption in their face.

Just some thughts on the matter.

Interesting thoughts, indeed. While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

But the bottom line is that a democratic system of government would be far better for the country economically and socially than a feudal system which makes virtual slaves of the poor masses and brings great wealth and power to the minority elite class.

Well, given that the elected government under Thaksin was one of the most corrupt in recent history, is there really a difference between those elected and those assuming power under the old feudal system? Certainly democratic elections look better, but at the end of the day is the result any different?

Strange anology!Corrupt? only speculative thus far and, as yet Unproven in any Legit court anywhere!

It is simply Uttered by The Opposing powers! Thaksin put Thailand into second world status.And OFF the Third world poverty Lists.Most Thais enjoy a Living standard near if not equal to many first world developed nations.So .......

And of course We would simply have to look at the "Applied" accusation of corruption in Neighboring Burma!Their Leaders ARE corrupt.The state of the General populus is proof enough.

Saying that ANY political entity as a whole (Even Reformed) is "Corrupt", is as ludicrous as saying ALL Farang are Peodophiles!

There are Many! But by far only a small Minority.And of course NOT representitive of the Group as a whole!

The "Corruption" Propaganda is always pulled out when an opposing power base wants to gain sympathy in a bid to take over!Read History! Hitler (The Result,The Crystal Nacht),Stalin and Lennin,and of coarse Ole Chairman Mao(The peoples Revolution) or the unforgetable Pol Pot! That's just the famous ones! More recently in Europe and even in some from the Good Ole USA(Obama) at current.

Some are genuine some are false grounded.

Important that People Decide and the Minority who lost, Work hard and try again Next Election to prove their worth to the People!Walk The Walk and Talk the Talk!The Laws and the Judiciary MUST be so formed and written as to weed out The Corrupt politicians!(Thailand IS TRYING to Get That Together but "The Mob" Does'nt want that! Just as the Mobsters in the USA at the Beggining of the Depression! And How did they Fight Democracy's Development?Blackmail,Social Disobedience,False accusation, illicit business and BIG MONEY!)

I'm SURE Your nation of Origin has many corrupt polititians!? And I would gather that a Minority of Thugs are'nt able to Cause widespread social Terror and Blackmail there? Or?

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej expressed disappointment stating that that the Administrative Court has no mandate to pull the plug off ASTV, a satellite television operated by PAD Leader Sondhi Limthongkul, from broadcasting. Samak said ASTV's news presentation has contributed to chaos in the country.

The premier also supports the court's order which rejects PAD's request for the revocation of arrest warrants against nine PAD leaders. He says further that ASTV propagandizes and encourages people to join the PAD rally.

The premier elaborates that the Administrative Court has no power to stop ASTV from broadcasting as it is run by a private company. He says, however, that the court can order television stations to air, but cannot order them to stop airing. He also says the rally is way beyond the expression of rights in line with Article 63 of the Constitution.

The premier affirms he is still patient and it is not time to enforce Emergency Decree, adding that police has never used tear gas with the protestors. *with Reuters and Associated Press saying otherwise*

- ThaiNews (today)

yes that is bad for Samak-o-saurus! There are courts.....I am sure he thinks, courts are not needed at all.

Pretty much like the PAD, it all started with the attempt to put NBT out of the air, remember ?

Silly that one side has to abide by the rules, and the other side apparently is above the law. But of course one is the legitimate government of Thailand, and the other side is...

Edited by sjaak327

Some have stated that things were more stable and the country was better off under the military government. The military government did not allow protests or demonstrations. This reminds me of the kid that murdered his parents and asks the court to have mercy because he is an orphan.

The PAD isn't going to battle corruption, it's a simple as that. Again they want their hands in the cooky jar and take back what Thaksin "stole" from them.

So it would be silly to trust these people to do something about it. And it's the PAD that is responsible for the polictical deadlock that has plagued Thailand since around april 2006.

Time to move on, there have been elections, there is a government, they have to accept the democratic system. But they don't, as they still have a score to settle with Thaksin, who is gone for crying out loud. He is done for. He is not pulling any strings anymore, they let him go, and that's it.

Jonathan Head of the BBC last week reported that the PAD were sick and tired of so-called 'democratically' elected governments who were time and time again corrupt.

This is surely - from anyone's perspective - an intolerable situation and in this matter I support the PAD whole-heartedly.

A very personal lecture of J.H. But nobody expect good faith from people on PAD side.

15,000 British holiday makers stranded in the South of Thailand.Some trying to make their main flights attempted to charter Buses to Bangkok.They were violently Blocked by PAD supporters!Despite pleas for allowing these families with children to return home for school start.Plus 5,000 Australian holidaymakers (Source matichon news (matichon.co.th)

Edited by HelterSkelter

While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

remember remember the 5th of november. the english are trying since more than 400 years and still have no more than thatcher, blair and brown. can't you britons remember and/or stay a bit more modest? the us are trying since more than 200 years and still have no more than george bush. they also better stay out of discussion about democray in thailand. only the thais can find solutions, if not in parliament or in poor isaan villages, maybe in bkk streets or hkt?

And US officially allows to torture people...that something not even Samak can do.

15,000 British holiday makers stranded in the South of Thailand.Some trying to make their main flights attempted to charter Buses to Bangkok.They were violently Blocked by PAD supporters!Despite pleas for allowing these families with children to return home for school start.Plus 5,000 Australian holidaymakers (Source matichon news (matichon.com)

how many were stranded at french or other strikes? And these strikes were only about increase of salaries. If I would be american I would call it collateral damage.

Interesting point h90

No Anand's gov. wasn't perfect, but yes, the before and after must really be confusing

Interesting thoughts, indeed. While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

But the bottom line is that a democratic system of government would be far better for the country economically and socially than a feudal system which makes virtual slaves of the poor masses and brings great wealth and power to the minority elite class.

Well, given that the elected government under Thaksin was one of the most corrupt in recent history, is there really a difference between those elected and those assuming power under the old feudal system? Certainly democratic elections look better, but at the end of the day is the result any different?

Strange anology!Corrupt? only speculative thus far and, as yet Unproven in any Legit court anywhere!

It is simply Uttered by The Opposing powers! Thaksin put Thailand into second world status.And OFF the Third world poverty Lists.Most Thais enjoy a Living standard near if not equal to many first world developed nations.So .......

And of course We would simply have to look at the "Applied" accusation of corruption in Neighboring Burma!Their Leaders ARE corrupt.The state of the General populus is proof enough.

Saying that ANY political entity as a whole (Even Reformed) is "Corrupt", is as ludicrous as saying ALL Farang are Peodophiles!

There are Many! But by far only a small Minority.And of course NOT representitive of the Group as a whole!

The "Corruption" Propaganda is always pulled out when an opposing power base wants to gain sympathy in a bid to take over!Read History! Hitler (The Result,The Crystal Nacht),Stalin and Lennin,and of coarse Ole Chairman Mao(The peoples Revolution) or the unforgetable Pol Pot! That's just the famous ones! More recently in Europe and even in some from the Good Ole USA(Obama) at current.

Important that People Decide and the Minority who lost, Work hard and try again Next Election to prove their worth to the People!Walk The Walk and Talk the Talk!The Laws and the Judiciary MUST be so formed and written as to weed out The Corrupt politicians!(Thailand IS TRYING to Get That Together but "The Mob" Does'nt want that! Just as the Mobsters in the USA at the Beggining of the Depression! And How did they Fight Democracy's Development?Blackmail,Social Disobedience,False accusation, illicit business and BIG MONEY!)

I'm SURE Your nation of Origin has many corrupt polititians!? And I would gather that a Minority of Thugs are'nt able to Cause widespread social Terror and Blackmail there? Or?

Oh give me a break, so much inaccuracy it astounds,

just to back up your party line myths.

Tea pot calling the kettle black.

- ThaiNews (today)

Pretty much like the PAD, it all started with the attempt to put NBT out of the air, remember ?

Silly that one side has to abide by the rules, and the other side apparently is above the law. But of course one is the legitimate government of Thailand, and the other side is...

This - at the end of the day - is pretty much an inconsequential event -

What is of much greater consequence - was the connivance and involvement of this present government and the judiciary in the failed attempts to get Thaksin off his outstanding legal charges.

The PAD isn't going to battle corruption, it's a simple as that. Again they want their hands in the cooky jar and take back what Thaksin "stole" from them.

So it would be silly to trust these people to do something about it. And it's the PAD that is responsible for the polictical deadlock that has plagued Thailand since around april 2006.

Time to move on, there have been elections, there is a government, they have to accept the democratic system. But they don't, as they still have a score to settle with Thaksin, who is gone for crying out loud. He is done for. He is not pulling any strings anymore, they let him go, and that's it.

And there's a happy chair with a candy cane in happy land for all who want to believe this.

I don't, I have seen too much, too long, from creditable sources to believe.

15,000 British holiday makers stranded in the South of Thailand.Some trying to make their main flights attempted to charter Buses to Bangkok.They were violently Blocked by PAD supporters!Despite pleas for allowing these families with children to return home for school start.Plus 5,000 Australian holidaymakers (Source matichon news (matichon.co.th)

If Samak moves now, the world will applaud !

But if he waits any longer, the situation may change in favor of a coup

Interesting point h90

Oh give me a break, so much inaccuracy it astounds,

just to back up your party line myths.

Tea pot calling the kettle black.

"Inaccuracies"? (Rebut them then!?) no Prozac today Huh?Enjoy the Bicycle ride and the Pink Changs!

Interesting point h90

Eh? :o

A very personal lecture of J.H. But nobody expect good faith from people on PAD side.

Pierrot - JH is the BBC's South-East Asia correspondent. He lives and works in BKK.

Who says he's on the PAD's side?

I've only heard impartial and accurate reporting from this guy so far.

Some have stated that things were more stable and the country was better off under the military government. The military government did not allow protests or demonstrations. This reminds me of the kid that murdered his parents and asks the court to have mercy because he is an orphan.

Mike there were many protests over the last Junta period.

They were not large, by design so as not to seem threatening,

but got press and made their points.

Pierrot - JH is the BBC's South-East Asia correspondent. He lives and works in BKK.

Who says he's on the PAD's side?

I've only heard impartial and accurate reporting from this guy so far.

If anything I'd say that he tends to side with the government. Just slightly though.