PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

^Tuesday John.

China Airlines 14:45

I expect you have something facetious or condescending to say with which to send them off ! :o

Sorry to disappoint. I wish them well and hope they have a safe and comfortable flight and enjoy their new life overseas. I am confident you will do all you can to ease their adjustment during the extra-ordinarily difficult initial period. Good luck to you all.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National News Bureau 2000 hours

"

Democrat MP Alongkorn Polbutr (อลงกรณ์ พลบุตร) echoed Miss Rossana's sentiments asking that the PM not be too attached to his position and act in the best interests of the nation. The MP put out 6 requests to the premier, the first being that he resign, the second was for the coalition government to withdraw and a new government be erected, third to have a national government established to solve the country's problems, fourth to dissolve the parliament and hold new elections, fifth to realize the dangers of sustaining the current government and sixth to accept the possibilty of revolution and the Prime Minister position's connection to the security and stability of the nation and its economy."

Alongkorn is Dep. Party Leader and therefore this would be the official position of the Democrats.

National News Bureau 2000 hours

"

Democrat MP Alongkorn Polbutr (อลงกรณ์ พลบุตร) echoed Miss Rossana's sentiments asking that the PM not be too attached to his position and act in the best interests of the nation. The MP put out 6 requests to the premier, the first being that he resign, the second was for the coalition government to withdraw and a new government be erected, third to have a national government established to solve the country's problems, fourth to dissolve the parliament and hold new elections, fifth to realize the dangers of sustaining the current government and sixth to accept the possibilty of revolution and the Prime Minister position's connection to the security and stability of the nation and its economy."

Alongkorn is Dep. Party Leader and therefore this would be the official position of the Democrats.

Let me add, unless their position has recently changed, the Demo's would support the changing of the constitution to allow a non elected MP to assume the role of cartaker PM until new elections could be carried out.

I see someone making an attempt to tie PAD, the Democrats and Muslin terrorism together in one handful.

Because of some tenuous connection to 'The South'. Right nice try.

How stupid to you REALLY think we are to buy that one?

Well guess what the south has 2 coasts and MANY different cultures.

Many also have lived in Bangkok for a time. Many places in the south

have people from ALL over Thailand, living and working,

and MOST of them dislike Samak.

Many watched Thaksin cut of development funds because they didn't vote for him

just as he said he would.

Do you think ANY want a continuation of that legacy.

I have asked people from 7-8 different areas of Thailand;

What do you think of the new government you have now?

Any one notice how there hasn't been a single bomb in Yala Pattani or Naritiwat since all this non sense began last week

There'd be more than a couple of people crying if they had used tear gas.

There were more than two.

Their have been lots of posts on this and on the local news. The police deny using it and I tend to believe them from what has been reported.

Have a good trip. When are you going

^Tuesday John.

I expect you have something facetious or condescending to say with which to send them off ! :o

Sorry to disappoint. I wish them well and hope they have a safe and comfortable flight and enjoy their new life overseas. I am confident you will do all you can to ease their adjustment during the extra-ordinarily difficult initial period. Good luck to you all.

Cheers !

And I wish all of you and your loved ones peace and happiness in Thailand (and elsewhere) too.

There were more than two.

Their have been lots of posts on this and on the local news. The police deny using it and I tend to believe them from what has been reported.

Have a good trip. When are you going

Cheers, off at 0430 to Swampy, out of the political hurricane and into a real one, guess I am just lucky.....

Do you mean like this?

t_sl113.jpg

_sl114.jpg

_sl116.jpg

Thai police shoot tear gas into anti-government protesters in Bangkok, Thailand, Friday, Aug. 29, 2008.

Associated Press

That looks more like the tear gas I know and love, yes.

Does anyone have any hope in this meeting to resolve anything?

It started per my wife with a vote for Mr. Samak as P.M. he didn't take the platform until after that was done.

Seemed more like something to confirm his support, they have the numbers no surprise there.

has anyoon seen solution that would allow them to act as a uniform Government entity. So far all I have heard is allgations. One suggestion that deosn't look like it stands a chance of happening. That is for Samak to resign. I think he has made himself very clear on that.

I won't say this as to all of them, but it sure look to me like nothing has changed each taking care of themselves and the public is on it's on. Guys hope I'm wrong because tommorow is a new day but if this keeps up won't be much change.

Seem to me the easiet thing at this point is to let someome else take the reins stay in Parlimeant and do what you were elected to do represent the people. Sondhi and Samak go back many many years and it was not as friends. Maybe someone else could get a conversation going without threats. Boy was that wishful thinking.

National News Bureau 1900 hours

"Opposition whip worries aftermath should parliament meeting fail

Opposition Whip Chairman Sathit Wongnhongtoei (สาทิตย์ วงศ์หนองเตย) expresses concern that parliament meeting won't bear fruit as Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has remained defiant against the political wave led by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Mr. Sathit says the Opposition agrees with the meeting to seek solutions for current situations and calls for all participants to hold the meeting effectively.

In terms of the establishment of national government, Mr. Sathit says the Opposition has not yet discussed about the matter as it needs to wait and see the outcome of the meeting today. He says the Opposition may send not over 5 members to debate in the meeting"

Edited by ray23

.........and may people not forget, that most of this forum readers are guests in this otherwise beautiful country and behave accordingly.

Indeed, and that is why I don't refer to the Prime Minister as "pigface" or litter my posts with silly pictures taken out of context designed to belittle or denigrate the man who holds that office.

Interesting point h90

The 'coup installed junta government',

USUALLY buzzwords for corrup violent and extraordinarily repressive,

was basically orderly and pretty much like curmugeonly grandfathers.

The griped about morals of the children and made vague attemps

to regulate societal mores, to little effect. They were actually if anything

to light handed considering how the election turned out.

They did get a consitution that is strick enough to need PPP

making a serious attempt at an end run.

They certainly DID try to repress the TRT / PPP propaganda machine,

with apparently little success. And it seems the country is paying the

price now for that lack of success.

No Anand's gov. wasn't perfect, but yes, the before and after must really be confusing

some of the Thais, and might go a long way to their being less bothered about

another army take over vs the corruption in their face.

Just some thughts on the matter.

Interesting thoughts, indeed. While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

But the bottom line is that a democratic system of government would be far better for the country economically and socially than a feudal system which makes virtual slaves of the poor masses and brings great wealth and power to the minority elite class.

Well, given that the elected government under Thaksin was one of the most corrupt in recent history, is there really a difference between those elected and those assuming power under the old feudal system? Certainly democratic elections look better, but at the end of the day is the result any different?

At the end of a particular day, in the short term, the end result may not be all that discernibly different, but it is the progression to a more fair and equitable society which is important. Only a democratic system of government backed up by courts that actually deliver real justice can assure that goal.

A reversion to a more feudally orientated society may well provide some political stability in the short term, but though it might benefit the few, it would be poison for the country long term in this modern world. Thailand can not afford to continue with half its population being kept as uneducated and relatively unproductive virtual economic slaves.

Interesting point h90

The 'coup installed junta government',

USUALLY buzzwords for corrup violent and extraordinarily repressive,

was basically orderly and pretty much like curmugeonly grandfathers.

They griped about morals of the children and made vague attemps

to regulate societal mores, to little effect. They were actually, if anything,

too light handed considering how the election turned out.

They did get a constitution that is strict enough to warrent PPP

making a serious attempt at an end run.

They certainly DID try to repress the TRT / PPP propaganda machine,

with apparently little success. And it seems the country is paying the

price now for that lack of success.

No. Anand's govt. wasn't perfect, but yes, the before and after must really be confusing

some of the Thais, and might go a long way to their being less bothered about

another army take over vs the corruption in their face.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Interesting thoughts, indeed. While Western style democracy in Thailand clearly doesn't work (Thais have been trying since 1932!), neither does Thai style democracy (1932 to the present) succeed in Thailand. What to do...

But the bottom line is that a democratic system of government would be far better for the country economically and socially than a feudal system which makes virtual slaves of the poor masses and brings great wealth and power to the minority elite class.

Well, given that the elected government under Thaksin was one of the most corrupt in recent history, is there really a difference between those elected and those assuming power under the old feudal system? Certainly democratic elections look better, but at the end of the day is the result any different?

PAD if it has done nothing else, as made an awareness of these issues with more Thais than anyone else.

It is pretty obvious the genie is out of the bottle as far as the feudal oligarchs can be concerned.

It's not hat things are not going to change, but HOW they are going to change to what they end up as.

What that becomes will no doubt be very uniquely THAI. The transition seems to be going that way too.

So we see a democratically elected government taking the populace to the cleaners

as big or bigger than before.

We see a toothless Junta install democracy, with a few more teeth against corruption.

We see a new democratically elected government bound and determined

to get back the golden goose by hook or crook.

Clearly we see the need of a sterner set of checks and balances,

that CAN'T be easily re-jiggered to fit the greed factor of the government of the day.

It may take something a bit less pure democratically, for a time,

to have the stones to pass such sweeping and irreversable laws on vote rigging,

graft and corruption. I am not advocating dictatorship or a return to the

feudal system at all. We can't look at this from British or American or Austrailian eyes

and see the true depths of the issues at stake as the THAIS see it.

We are not Thais, we can only offer ideas RESPECTFULLY, which isn't always the case here...

But WE need to have OPEN minds to ALL ideas and not arbitrarily say;

That's not my Democracy from home.. NO! Cause so far...

Thais have used democracy like old feudal families used the old system,

little difference, just a bigger playing field. And now more watchdogs too.

But the watch dogs are not perfect and have old world connections,

so some here rail at them, well EVERYBODY here has old world connections,

and the habits of centuries are hard to break in decades.

Dr. T. has been a wake up call for them, they need to NOW address how to

a ) get rid of the last of his tentacles of power,

b ) prevent a reacurrance

c ) get to a proper democracy with strong checks and balance firmly in place.

We can NOT judge them by our national standards cause they are NOT from home.

Edited by animatic

Protesters threaten to close 7 airports, key road in south

BANGKOK, Aug 31 (TNA) - The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have threatened to close seven airports and a key road leading through the southern region, and announced that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is "persona non grata" in the region.

Sunthorn Rakrong, a PAD southern region coordinator, said that as Samak had still refused to resign from his post and planned to move pro-government supporters from the North and the Northeast to clash with PAD protesters at Government House, his government has lost legitimacy to govern Thailand.

The occupation of Bangkok's Government House, now in its fifth consecutive day Sunday so that the prime minister could issue an emergency decree to cope with the political crisis, Mr. Sunthorn said, adding that his unit felt that the present government has lost legitimacy to run the country.

PAD's southern branch has therefore announced its plan to close seven airports in the South:

Phuket, Hat Yai, Krabi, Surat Thani, Koh Samui, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Trang.

The protest alliance also threatens to close a major highway in Prachuap Khiri Khan linking with all provinces further south, cutting freight and bus traffic to the region.

According to the announcement, Samak who has refused to resign from his post, would be considered effective immediately as "persona non grata" to the South and is not welcome in the region.

For the sake of peace in the country, the PAD in South demanded Samak quit his post immediately, the announcement said.

Edited by sriracha john

Rosana says government worsens situation with tough police actions

Senator Rosana Tositrakul Sunday said the government has worsened the situation by having police take tough actions against the protesters Friday by assaulting them and demolishing their rally facilities.

She said the government also made the situation worse by raising treason charges against the protesters. She said such a tough charge would drive more people to come out to join the rallies.

Rosana said the government would have to change its behaviors to try to tackle the crisis.

The Nation

Footnote: She has been on PAD's stage several time this week.

Natthawut blames PAD for problems

People Power Party MP Natthawut Saikua Sunday blamed the People's Alliance for Democracy for the on-going political crisis.

He said the PAD causes the problems by violating the laws.

He said the PAD's demands for the government not to amend the Constitution also contradicted its own demand to establish a new order of politics.

Natthawut said the PAD's seizure of the Government House and raids against several government offices also led to complaints of many people who wondered whether the country belonged to the PAD.

The Nation

Footnote: :o He is a co-founder of DADD.

The difference being the Angel Rosane is prancing around as a wise Senator, when in fact she is a core founder of PAD.

The PPP MP is obviously aligned with the anti-PAD movement by virtue of his party membership, and is not in any way concealing that fact.

What about your region other then Bangkok, per Udon local TV,about 2K red banas we love Udon group in tow. Abo 200 red bandana in Nung Bua Lampho. No PD around probably in Bangkok or laying low with what happened to them last time.

I also saw film footage of PAD building semi pemaneant tiolets facitities to connect to the sewer sysetm. Doesn't look like they are planning to move

National News Bureau

"Chiang Mai demonstrators gather to show support to govt.

About 100 people in Chiang Mai province staged a demonstration in front of the city hall in a bid to show their support for the government. They have also expressed dissatisfaction against the actions taken by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

The group of people say it supports the elected government and wants the government to continue its work.

The demonstrators are from various districts in Chiang Mai. They say they will submit a letter to support the government via the provincial governor. It is expected that the demonstration will end at around 18.00 hrs today (August, 31st "

Edited by ray23

^Tuesday John.

I expect you have something facetious or condescending to say with which to send them off ! :D

Cheers !

And I wish all of you and your loved ones peace and happiness in Thailand (and elsewhere) too.

Bon voyage! :o

Why oh why almost all guavas ( farangs) here lose their times to post bullshit and repeat bullshit all over and over again for the last 5 days. You really want to do something constructive! Well you can start a new movement the PARPIT: PEOPLE'S ALLIANCE FOR RESOLVING PROBLEMS IN THAILAND. Then you can go rally in Khao Sarn Rd.

Seriously this is not your country. If you are not happy here than go elsewhere. Stop bitching about each others. I am a farang living here also and I like this country. But what I read is unbelievable.

Why so many peoples in this forum can support a bunch of "bandits des grands chemins" like the PAD leaders .They have no respect for nothing. Samak was elected. Vote buying or not. He is the PM now. And he will decide whatever he want and you can't change nothing.

Why don't you relax and go every day in a park where the grass is always green near your home and be at peace with yourself.

This my first post and will be my last .

... He's not better than T. maybe he is better, coz t. is out and s. is in?

** Sondhi ended up declaring himself bankrupt for three years. This meant that his THB 1.5 billion debt could be claimed from whatever was in his personal account for a span three years, rather than having to repay the debt over 15 or 20 years as earlier scheduled. cheating coward ! clever and cheating seems to be the same here, but why coward?

*** Sondhi's income skyrocketed as a result of his political activism. Revenues of his media companies increased by no less than 215 million baht (approx $6 million US) a month from the start of his protests to early 2006. are you serious? 6 mio us$ per month increase, he should be a better leader than tax-sin

seriously you should consider to change your 'heroe' from t. to s. you seem to worship money........

Government threatens to fire 'sick' railway strikers

BangkokPost.com) - The Ministry of Transport plans to replace many hundreds of absent employees of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), as their absence has greatly disrupted rail services across the country.

Many of the SRT staff, including conductors, engineers, technicians and train operators, have gone on strike to show their support for the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said the ministry will have to see how long the workers will go on strike. He said new employees would be hired to allow the rail operation to be restored soon.

The SRT is a state enterprise that continues to face profit loss, and its tax burdens fall on public members, Mr Songsak concluded.

As driving and repair trains, specially these old ones is difficult and need years of training, everyone should avoid a rid with the new staff.

Believe me, with 28 years experience in the railway business, let me assure you that driving a diesel loco is a darned sight easier than ,say, one of those 10 axled monsters on the road. As for maintenance, it's just a diesel engine, not a spaceship! Now, if we were talking about the good old steam locos, then there was a real skill in both driving and firing the beasts.

I venture to sugest that most of the shirkers abusing their sick entitlement are doing the kind of non-skilled jobs that anyone could learn in a couple of days.

Rosana says government worsens situation with tough police actions

Senator Rosana Tositrakul Sunday said the government has worsened the situation by having police take tough actions against the protesters Friday by assaulting them and demolishing their rally facilities.

She said the government also made the situation worse by raising treason charges against the protesters. She said such a tough charge would drive more people to come out to join the rallies.

Rosana said the government would have to change its behaviors to try to tackle the crisis.

The Nation

Footnote: She has been on PAD's stage several time this week.

Natthawut blames PAD for problems

People Power Party MP Natthawut Saikua Sunday blamed the People's Alliance for Democracy for the on-going political crisis.

He said the PAD causes the problems by violating the laws.

He said the PAD's demands for the government not to amend the Constitution also contradicted its own demand to establish a new order of politics.

Natthawut said the PAD's seizure of the Government House and raids against several government offices also led to complaints of many people who wondered whether the country belonged to the PAD.

The Nation

Footnote: :o He is a co-founder of DAAD.

The difference being the Angel Rosane is prancing around as a wise Senator, when in fact she is a core founder of PAD.

The PPP MP is obviously aligned with the anti-PAD movement by virtue of his party membership, and is not in any way concealing that fact.

Actually, Nutterwut is the Deputy Government Spokesman, not a PPP MP. The PPP MP is Jatuporn... who is also a founder of DAAD and also a criminal litigant for being a rioting gang leader.

They are not "aligned with the anti-PAD movement", they are leaders of the criminal wing of it.

That both of these defendants are involved in the Samak government along with fellow criminal litigant, former PM's Office Minister Jakrapob in Samak's Cabinet, is a bit telling.... until one discovers just how many people involved in his administration have court dates and defense lawyers assigned.

Meanwhile, Rosana has never been a criminal litigant AFAIK.

Why oh why almost all guavas ( farangs) here lose their times to post bullshit and repeat bullshit all over and over again for the last 5 days. You really want to do something constructive! Well you can start a new movement the PARPIT: PEOPLE'S ALLIANCE FOR RESOLVING PROBLEMS IN THAILAND. Then you can go rally in Khao Sarn Rd.

Seriously this is not your country. If you are not happy here than go elsewhere. Stop bitching about each others. I am a farang living here also and I like this country. But what I read is unbelievable.

Why so many peoples in this forum can support a bunch of "bandits des grands chemins" like the PAD leaders .They have no respect for nothing. Samak was elected. Vote buying or not. He is the PM now. And he will decide whatever he want and you can't change nothing.

Why don't you relax and go every day in a park where the grass is always green near your home and be at peace with yourself.

uhmm...Hello and Good-bye.... enjoy that "grass"... thSmileyBong.gif

BANGKOK, Aug 31 (TNA) - The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have threatened to close seven airports and a key road leading through the southern region, and announced that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is "persona non grata" in the region.

Sunthorn Rakrong, a PAD southern region coordinator, said that as Samak had still refused to resign from his post and planned to move pro-government supporters from the North and the Northeast to clash with PAD protesters at Government House, his government has lost legitimacy to govern Thailand.

The occupation of Bangkok's Government House, now in its fifth consecutive day Sunday so that the prime minister could issue an emergency decree to cope with the political crisis, Mr. Sunthorn said, adding that his unit felt that the present government has lost legitimacy to run the country.

PAD's southern branch has therefore announced its plan to close seven airports in the South:

The protest alliance also threatens to close a major highway in Prachuap Khiri Khan linking with all provinces further south, cutting freight and bus traffic to the region.

According to the announcement, Samak who has refused to resign from his post, would be considered effective immediately as "persona non grata" to the South and is not welcome in the region.

For the sake of peace in the country, the PAD in South demanded Samak quit his post immediately, the announcement said.

I think the police will stop them this time or at least be prepared to if it don't happen.

Welcome, to the jungle. Go to general topic, and you might make a second post.

closing that airports seems to be easy...the streets as well.....I guess they declare that they don't stay under the current government anymore.

Well, if they are too sick to come to work,-- surely they need to be replaced in order to keep the service running. I think we will see a remarkable recovery rate pretty soon.

your sarcasm i understand. but you need to understand that some people have higher values than just money. not all thais are like tax-sin. and it is not so easy as you think (hope? fear?) to replace key people like pilots and engine drivers. definitely more difficult than to replace a corrupt pm

One thing you should learn in life is that NOBODY is irreplaceable. khao djai, djing djing

If these guys are going to keep on disrupting the public Rail system in order to get their ultimate boss sacked, they can expect some flack back. hel_l....

i've just learned, that you are replaceable easily! maybe faster than a pilot, engine driver or even a thai pm. samak is disrupting the public government in order to get his ultimate boss back on track. every reasonable thai will prevent him from doing so (and provide the 'flack' you are proposing).

I think the police will stop them this time or at least be prepared to if it don't happen.

The police in the south? they will kill their sister or brother? I doubt that.

Let it look like a big fight...than I'll loose and you take the airport....and not forget tonight at the barbecue for me the chicken not the beef.....

Edited by h90

And yes, I've been personally given the offer from my friends who joined the mob, it's better than the average 200 baht per day pay, who wouldnt want to join?

Anyone wishing to not jeopardize their life and puts themselves on the front line of a civil battle. This isn't "voting" in a booth, it's trench warfare.

Well yes, that can be a comparison with the military who are paying their officers.

However, I always recall that our PAD leaders had stated that those people came with only their sincere heart and demands 'only' for the country to be out of Thaksin's grip.

I'm sure there'll be less than 50 percent of the present protesters if they really protest with only their 'sincerity' but without getting paid.

More people would be busy working to support their families than shouting 'Samak Get Out!!' 24/7.

This should be an easy thing to test. With the cost to the country and risk of injury to the demonstrators, the government should authorize the payment of 1000 baht to anyone willing to get on the bus and depart. 1000 baht per person should be a bargan to the country and I think many might go along with it.

Which just goes to show, yet again, how ridiculously small a grasp you have of the strength of feeling and passion for change the Thais at the PAD rally have. You really have no idea, do you. None. You live in this country, how long? And still equate your values, or what you consider to be the values of the ordinary Thai, from what you and your mates talk over a few beer Changs. Ignorant in the extreme.

Actually IMHO it is you that have no idea how the adverage Thai person thinks or feels. I have lived in the Northeast in a small village, in the city and in Had Yai and found most Thais to be like most foreigners, totally apathetic towards politics 99% of the time. The fact that there is a wealthy and very vocal minority in Bangkok just at this moment , in no way reflects the nationwide picture. The PAD resembles what most Thai people want like a bacon sandwich resembles Kosher cuisine......not at all. The reason the TRT attracted so many votes is mainly due to the fact that they did more to help the rural poor than any govournment before. Vote buying has been on the decline in rural areas since the people living there have for the first time realised that their vote counts for something. When I lived in the Northeast and had occasion to go to the Amper there was always a poster on the wall saying " don't sell your voice, don't sell your country "

If you want to continue to bring the instances of vote buying down allowing the urban rich to throw out a govournment elected by a majority of the people is not going to help. If 2 elected govournments are kicket out by undemocratic means it will just send a message to the poor that they might just as well sell their votes again as in the end they were cheated of their representation.

As for the PAD supporters. Quite a few well meaning people without a clue as to the nature of the beast they are backing. If I were to randomly pick one of those old people from the PAD crowd and ask them how they felt about Sondhis crooked business deals and his accounts in the British Virgin Islands they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. Sadly, most of them have latched on to two just two mental images...the wearing of the yellow and the word democracy. And some people like Panlop and Sondhi have the gaul to say that the rural poor are not educated enough to understand politics. The totally Pathetic PAD

It's just not been his week... :o

PM says Administrative Court has no power to stop ASTV from broadcasting

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej expressed disappointment stating that that the Administrative Court has no mandate to pull the plug off ASTV, a satellite television operated by PAD Leader Sondhi Limthongkul, from broadcasting. Samak said ASTV's news presentation has contributed to chaos in the country.

The premier also supports the court's order which rejects PAD's request for the revocation of arrest warrants against nine PAD leaders. He says further that ASTV propagandizes and encourages people to join the PAD rally.

The premier elaborates that the Administrative Court has no power to stop ASTV from broadcasting as it is run by a private company. He says, however, that the court can order television stations to air, but cannot order them to stop airing. He also says the rally is way beyond the expression of rights in line with Article 63 of the Constitution.

The premier affirms he is still patient and it is not time to enforce Emergency Decree, adding that police has never used tear gas with the protestors. *with Reuters and Associated Press saying otherwise*

- ThaiNews (today)

Government threatens to fire 'sick' railway strikers

BangkokPost.com) - The Ministry of Transport plans to replace many hundreds of absent employees of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), as their absence has greatly disrupted rail services across the country.

Many of the SRT staff, including conductors, engineers, technicians and train operators, have gone on strike to show their support for the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said the ministry will have to see how long the workers will go on strike. He said new employees would be hired to allow the rail operation to be restored soon.

The SRT is a state enterprise that continues to face profit loss, and its tax burdens fall on public members, Mr Songsak concluded.

As driving and repair trains, specially these old ones is difficult and need years of training, everyone should avoid a rid with the new staff.

Believe me, with 28 years experience in the railway business, let me assure you that driving a diesel loco is a darned sight easier than ,say, one of those 10 axled monsters on the road. As for maintenance, it's just a diesel engine, not a spaceship! Now, if we were talking about the good old steam locos, then there was a real skill in both driving and firing the beasts.

I venture to sugest that most of the shirkers abusing their sick entitlement are doing the kind of non-skilled jobs that anyone could learn in a couple of days.

yes it is, but without the training it is complete illegal.....well Samak don't care legal--illegal. And don't forget the technician. a bit sugar in the diesel and this loco is not going anywhere for some time.

Reason of edit: replace education with training

Edited by h90