PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

(BangkokPost.com) - People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leader Chamlong Srimuang, ordered demonstrators to leave the main building at Government House on Sunday, after widespread criticism and publicity that the grounds had become an unsanitry eyesore.

Maj-Gen Chamlong said he feared that "other ill-intentioned people" might set fire to the building and blame the PAD. He told the media that people who refuse to leave the building are not PAD followers.

Apologies if this is old news - difficult to keep up.

This is news to me - great news if it's true!

That wily old devil Samak has done it again - leave them to wallow in their own excrement, and suddenly it doesn't seem such fun anymore! Anyway, all those railway workers, etc., demonstrating for PAD on full pay for their 2 days sick (sic!) leave have got to get back to work (wonderful display of morals to pervert what was probably a hard-won sick pay scheme, who cares though, everyone knows that that is just a dirty lie from the PPP).

I remember clown Sondhi saying that if they stayed in Gov. Hse. til Sunday they would have won. I just wonder what it is that they've won?

It's only a building not he entire compound.

Edited by ubonjoe

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt it ironic that while its illegal to pay people to vote a certain way it seems perfectly acceptable for an anarchist movement to pay protesters to lay siege to a country in an effort to bring down an elected government.

Demonstrations are legal and democratic means of expression. The protestors are expressing their political views which is a right (free speech) protected by the constitution. There's nothing un-democratic about applying political pressure for Samak to step down. It's not like they are storming parliament with assault rifles.

Edited by Crushdepth

...Samak said he would listen attentively to opinions of all MPs and senators.

Samak is playing with a piece of paper, practising his origami and making a fan. He's not looking at the speaker much, and looks far too comfortable.

Isnt it ironic that while its illegal to pay people to vote a certain way it seems perfectly acceptable for an anarchist movement to pay protesters to lay siege to a country in an effort to bring down an elected government.

Demonstrations are legal and democratic means of expression. The protestors are expressing their political views which is a right (free speech) protected by the constitution. There's nothing un-democratic about applying political pressure for Samak to step down. It's not like they are storming parliament with assault rifles.

Yes the demonstrations may be legal, but laying siege to government property, blockading airports and occupying TV stations by force is not.

First presenter after the meeting officially commenced made a long-winded discourse on why the crisis needs to be solved - completely useless. The second presenter, Khun Jurin, is taking it straight to Samak, claiming that the crisis was caused by two reasons:

1. Samak is using his time as prime minister to serve his own needs.

2. Samak is using his time as prime minister to serve the needs of former premier Thaksin.

A member of the PPP started to object, and Speaker of the House Chai Chidchob did not permit this. To my great surprise, despite my reservations over the Speaker, in the few times I have watched him do his job on TV over the past few months, he has been very fair.

Kudos to Kuhn Chidchob.

Speaker of the house is a moderators job following the rules and applying them.

At least SOMEBODY is! :o

Everybody gets their say for the same amount of time more or less.

Like the topic or not.

Civil discourse; that is a BIG part of democracy.

When you are shutting others up in a public forum,

when they speak civilly, then comes the problems.

You are correct but it does not include blocking roads for days on end, taking over a TV station, buildings and etc. that PAD has been doing.

Samak is digging his grave - he promised to listen to everyone, yet he's now taken the microphone to blast Khun Jurin for "distorting fact" and is trying to defend himself from the accusations. He refuses to accept what Khun Jurin said.

If he continues on this tack, I predict the Democrats will walk and that will be the end of any "unity" discussion.

" National News Bureau 1400

PAD shows no signs it will move to Parliament

The People's Alliance for Democracy continues its stand at the Government House today with no signs it will move to the Parliament where a complete parliament meeting is occurring later.

The atmosphere at the PAD rally site in front of the Government House is the usual, with music and singing keeping up protester morale. Some of the demonstrators have had to clean the general area while the rally has picked up steam with the arrival of more citizens. "

Dear all,

Those of you that say the protesters are being paid to protest, please come up with clear evidence, or shut up.

I know at least ten people, that go to the protest area's every night and they go there because they believe it can help to make Thailand a beter place.

If you disagree with the protest, it means you support corruption?

Yes think about it, all those arguments that Samak is the elected leader, bla bla bla, only shows you are very disinformed or stubborn and reluctant to admitt you where wrong

and are afraid to loose face.

Fact's are that Thaksin stole Billions of Bath from the taxpayers.

His wife is now a convicted criminal.

They chose to escape to the UK so they cannot face charges.

Samak told the press that he is a proxy for Thaksin.

Samak and his party friends want to change the constitution, to favor those that did wrong and have Thaksin cleared of all wrongdoings.

And many more.

I tell you, most of my Thai friends are really fed up with this and want a transparant and honest government that really helps the country move forward.

The question is: Who will be the best person to lead Thailand, after Samak and his criminal friends will leave the political stage.

Demonstrations are legal and democratic means of expression. The protestors are expressing their political views which is a right protected by the constitution. There's nothing un-democratic about applying political pressure for Samak to step down. It's a protest not an armed rebellion, and a remarkably peaceful one given the circumstances.

Try to invade government buildings in Europe or the USA and see what happens.

Remarkably peaceful is the reaction of the government so far. Most foreign governments are completely puzzled by the lack of reaction of the Thai government.

Weird to say, but the only person who can get out of this situation as a winner is Samak.

If the PAD wins, it will be the victory of undemocratic forces, mostly from universities, as usual I would add …. No elected government will support it because it's every democratically elected government nightmare.

If Samak wins, it will be the success of democracy, furthermore with a very moderate use of force.

Actually these events, if Samak plays it smartly, can be a big boost for democracy in Thailand.

The question is: Who will be the best person to lead Thailand, after Samak and his criminal friends will leave the political stage.

Not the PAD criminals, that's for sure. Regarding evidence of people being paid to attend the protests, if you read back through the posts, you will find a number of people who wrote about cases where they know this has happened personally.

If you disagree with the protest, it means you support corruption?

No not at all, just not convinced that corruption will stop if the PAD get it's way, it will just be corruption of another kind, and possibly less power to the rural poor.

Therefore I'm still hoping that they will not succeed. It will not be for the good of Thailand if they do. (altough it might be very good for some people, just not the majority).

It's the government and premier who caused problems : Jurin

Deputy Democrat Party leader Jurin Laksanavisit said Sunday that it was the Samak Government that caused the problems in the country.

The government, particularly Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, are major causes that widened the problems.

He was speaking the special joint session between the Lower House and the Senate on Sunday. The session was urgently conducted after police used forces to disperse the anti-government protesters and the protesters' siege of the Government House.

Samak reminds Jurin debate not for censuring him

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday retaliated against Democrat Party deputy leader Jurin Laksanavisith that the joint Senate-House debate was not for censuring him.

Samak said all the allegations Jurin cited to attack him were allegations raised after the People's Alliance for Democracy had already launched a protest against his government by rallying at the Makkhawan Bridge.

He said the debate was not aimed for a showdown with the opposition.

Samak also said there was nothing wrong for the government to amend the Constitution because the charter had provisions to allow the amendments.

The Nation

TAH...maybe you do know her as I do (quite well), you have posted a lot on this particular thread...but why are you wasting your time and energy (not to mention your brain capacity) posting about stuff that will make absolutley NO DIFFERENCE to how this thing pan out.

I'm done now...anyone else wanna flame me for saying how it REALLY IS..then feel free

I d say the same about your last 2 posts, makes absolutely no difference on the numbers of future posts on here.

I do not know from what cave you Tony Clifton are barking and weather you are in Thailand at all but you are an absolute idiot.

Notice that the last PAD action regarding airports mostly hurts foreigners. I am not surprised: PAD is among other things a xenophobic organization and IMHO they may start hurt foreigners if their leadres decide that it is in their interests.

I am glad to here the news that PPP finally start to mobilize their supporters to move to BKK. This is the only reasonable way out. PAD claims that they started a "revolution". Hey, it is time for people to do just that. I sincerely hope that it is going to happen.

Samak should go: it is not about him , it is about the Thailand.

Hope there are PPP leadres who understand that. The time is running out. For the sake of Thailand they need to act now.

I may be an idiot but I seriously wonder what you are wishing for the PPP supporters to mobilize in Bangkok for a very possible confrontation, maybe you are blood thirsty, or another one of those murderers on the run hiding in Thailand? Disgusting. :o Are you aware they are threatening to march to parliament tomorrow at 7am??? You think they're going over there to shake hands and exchange t-shirts after a Bangkok-N.Eastern cultural exchange? Have you enjoyed their last attack on the PAD? Or maybe you prefered when they attacked Democrats and destroyed their stage? How about World PLaza and the old men being roughed up?

Well, I think a lot of people will agree on your self appraisal of your mental abilities here Tony. As for the people forming at Sanam Luang it seems you believe that only people who share your views should have the right to hold protest meetings.

Spot on.

Double spot on. And Mr. Clifton: if you're so hot to trot for action, why not (tmporarily at least) refrain from your PAD- (supported??) -Internet-Propagandist activities and actually join the "fun" at govt house?

Some will call me a propagandist while others call me a deconstructor of obvious lies and manipulations.

I suggest PPP backers run top Sanam Luang for the Gong Show, 150 of them need your support!

gongsh2.jpg

I have joined PAD rallies in the past with my wife, busy raising a child now and are packing.

We were going to join last week but Samak sent in the corrupt police force, too risky now.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Bangkok Post

post-66997-1220157941.jpg

Sea of mud

What used to be the lawn in front of Government House has turned to mud after rain and the occupation by the People’s Alliance for Democracy. — Apichart Jinakul

How much will this mess cost to repair along with all the other damage done.

(Refering to damaged lawn at Government House)

Much less than TRT ripped off in an hour.

Edited by Tony Clifton

It's the government and premier who caused problems : Jurin

Deputy Democrat Party leader Jurin Laksanavisit said Sunday that it was the Samak Government that caused the problems in the country.

The government, particularly Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, are major causes that widened the problems.

He was speaking the special joint session between the Lower House and the Senate on Sunday. The session was urgently conducted after police used forces to disperse the anti-government protesters and the protesters' siege of the Government House.

Samak reminds Jurin debate not for censuring him

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday retaliated against Democrat Party deputy leader Jurin Laksanavisith that the joint Senate-House debate was not for censuring him.

Samak said all the allegations Jurin cited to attack him were allegations raised after the People's Alliance for Democracy had already launched a protest against his government by rallying at the Makkhawan Bridge.

He said the debate was not aimed for a showdown with the opposition.

Samak also said there was nothing wrong for the government to amend the Constitution because the charter had provisions to allow the amendments.

The Nation

Yes they can talk about the problem, just as long as Kuhn Samak is

NOT discussed for his part in the problem. Oh that's fair.

Can't discuss PADS allegation's because PAD has talked about them...

Except Kuhn Samak is one of the main things PAD is protesting about....

Catch 22

It's ok to be mentally ill and get out of combat,

but you can't unless you ask to get taken out of combat,

If you ASK to be taken out of combat,

then you can't be mentally ill...

The government can amend the constitution. Blanket statement.

But it doesn't say with the consent of the people.

He doesn't say HOW they will, and WHY they will.

and least of all what it will be changed from and to.

Demonstrations are legal and democratic means of expression. The protestors are expressing their political views which is a right protected by the constitution. There's nothing un-democratic about applying political pressure for Samak to step down. It's a protest not an armed rebellion, and a remarkably peaceful one given the circumstances.

Remarkably peaceful is the reaction of the government so far. Most foreign governments are completely puzzled by the lack of reaction of the Thai government.

Weird to say, but the only person who can get out of this situation as a winner is Samak.

If the PAD wins, it will be the victory of undemocratic forces, mostly from universities, as usual I would add …. No elected government will support it because it's every democratically elected government nightmare.

If Samak wins, it will be the success of democracy, furthermore with a very moderate use of force.

Actually these events, if Samak plays it smartly, can be a big boost for democracy in Thailand.

It is a fact that very FEW students rally this time (2005/8) with the PAD! (it's reported in a post a couple of post back/up!)

How can Samaks "win" be a success or even a boost for democracy, can you elaborate?

How can a band of corrupt politicians be a "boost for democracy", who have lined their pockets, and are just preparing with all their mates (supporters) to do this again, attempting to change the just rewritten constitution in their favor and to clear his "master", the coup ousted PM, who is facing serious charges for corruption while being in office and is, including his wife, a fugitive, running away from prosecution!?

Just explain how?

How can they be any good to this country, not to mention "a boost to democracy"?

It escapes my wildest imagination?

Your advice and that of some others, reads as if it is o.k. to let a bunch of rouges, serve their self interest, loot the countries assets, avoid taxes and serve themselves and their supporters as they wish... everyone else is non-democratic evil against the good and welfare of this country and it's citizens!

I think when in school, I attended the wrong classes, read the wrong books, listened to the wrong teachrs and have no clue what ethics and morale are all about!

Let's money rule, talk and decide, yeah?

Excuse me for a dumb question. If the Government House is not really usable right now, why is not electricity shut off to that grid area? Could not the police deprive the PAD demonstrators of electricity without using violence? If they are using generators, are they so well protected that they could not be disabled?

If they shut off the electricity at Govt House, the plug gets pulled for Bangkok as well and whatever other areas outside, add to that public servants in other areas offering their support..

Yes they have generators and they are way out of reach of policemen.

It is a fact that very FEW students rally this time (2005/8) with the PAD! (it's reported in a post a couple of post back/up!)

How can Samaks "win" be a success or even a boost for democracy, can you elaborate?

How can a band of corrupt politicians be a "boost for democracy", who have lined their pockets, and are just preparing with all their mates (supporters) to do this again, attempting to change the just rewritten constitution in their favor and to clear his "master", the coup ousted PM, who is facing serious charges for corruption while being in office and is, including his wife, a fugitive, running away from prosecution!?

Just explain how?

How can they be any good to this country, not to mention "a boost to democracy"?

Your advice and that of some others, reads as if it is o.k. to let a bunch of rouges, serve their self interest, loot the countries assets, avoid taxes and serve themselves and their supporters as they wish... everyone else is non-democratic evil against the good and welfare of this country and it's citizens!

I think when in school, I attended the wrong classes, read the wrong books, listened to the wrong teachrs and have no clue what ethics and morale are all about!

Let's money rule, talk and decide, yeah?

Supporting the utopian concept of Pure Democracy

trumps all concepts of honesty in government. Right?

Once elected, running rough shod across the country is not a right,

it is a duty, implied by 16 million voters out of 63 million people. Right?.

I AM the government how DARE you criticised ME.

I am 'elected', I can do what I please because the law says I can.

And if it doesn't continue to, I will change it till it does.

Patronage to those helping me is part of the system.

How dare you try and stop it.

Ignore that man behind the curtain pulling the levers.

The Great and Powerful OZ has all your best interests at heart!

We told you that when you voted , don't you still believe it,

why not, were you out having illicit sex last night?

Geepers creepers!

Edited by animatic

Natthawut blames PAD for problems

People Power Party MP Natthawut Saikua Sunday blamed the People's Alliance for Democracy for the on-going political crisis.

He said the PAD causes the problems by violating the laws.

He said the PAD's demands for the government not to amend the Constitution also contradicted its own demand to establish a new order of politics.

Natthawut said the PAD's seizure of the Government House and raids against several government offices also led to complaints of many people who wondered whether the country belonged to the PAD.

The Nation

But surely you must know that the PAD isn't paying anyone :o

Of course he knows that. But, if you repeat a lie loudly enough and often enough, it becomes accepted as fact.

?!?!?!

Just explain how?

It's not okay to let a bunch of rouges serve their self interest. But I'm not convinced (and that is putting it mildly) that the PAD aren't the same, I'm pretty sure they are. Why would they want to get an 70/30 appointed parelement with militairy oversight otherwise. The PAD leadership has a direct financial gain to persue. Not a good sign.

Let's just assume the current government does all you think it is going to do, change the constitution to let Thaksin of the hook, surely new elections can reset this.

Not a few well sponsored and well organized protestors, boy I have never seen protestors being so organized, as stated a few post above, they even have their own generators, they have their own security force. These are not "the people", far from it in fact. It's about who has the power, and I prefer power to be in the hands of the real people, which are all Thai people allowed to vote.

Edited by sjaak327

It would be possible to cut the electricity at just the compound.

Might take a few hours, but some one knows how to.

But that likely means PAD will bring in a tanker of gas for generators.

Or have many people carry in dozens of gas cans by hand.

This is a recipe for diaster on a grand an irreversable scale.

One well placed sniper bullit into an empty can of fumes and chaos

and likely army entrance to this debacle.

Best to just leave the lights on.

It's funny to see you guys good at each other on this. Does anyone really see a Super Hero in any of these groups out to right the injustices of the Thailand .Think about each players history I just don't see it..