Switching Off The Modem

xwteee

I just got a visit from a TOT technician. He told me that I should switch off the modem if I don't use the computer, otherwise the modem is getting too hot. Is this standard and good advice ?

don't worry. the modem is less vulnerable than a hard disk coz it has no moving mechanical parts. but sure no device likes excessive heat. i live in thailand many years, with various desktops, laptops and modems. the modems never failed, the desktop memory has corroded contacts (clean with soft rubber, 3 baht) the hd failed after riding around with motorbike (save often!). since a few years now i have adsl and comp & modem are running 7/24. absolutely no problems despite no a/c. the tot technician is a silly idiot. typical thai excuse. the problem is very likely not the modem, but more often that they promise you too much speed, while they only extend after you complain. so complain often, at least every 3 month

I just got a visit from a TOT technician. He told me that I should switch off the modem if I don't use the computer, otherwise the modem is getting too hot. Is this standard and good advice ?

don't worry. the modem is less vulnerable than a hard disk coz it has no moving mechanical parts. but sure no device likes excessive heat.

Agreed.

i live in thailand many years, with various desktops, laptops and modems. the modems never failed, the desktop memory has corroded contacts (clean with soft rubber, 3 baht) the hd failed after riding around with motorbike (save often!). since a few years now i have adsl and comp & modem are running 7/24. absolutely no problems despite no a/c. the tot technician is a silly idiot. typical thai excuse.

Typical Thai excuse for what?

the problem is very likely not the modem,

What problem are you referring to? The OP didn't mention a problem, merely that the technician told him to turn off the modem if it's not being used.

but more often that they promise you too much speed, while they only extend after you complain. so complain often, at least every 3 month

There are plenty of other threads about Internet speeds. Perhaps you could give your advice to someone who is actually complaining about it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread I had a NetGear integrated DSL modem, router, WiFi AP which was losing sync ~ 100 times per day, and when the link was up it was running at 50% subscribed rates. The True tech tested the drop, and the final run and pronounced the line sound. He said the modem was overheating. I swapped in a 3Com unit and have not lost sync once, and the data rates are 1,020/509 against a subscribed 1,024/512 rate. I did Google my NetGear unit and did find several hundred complaints about overheating and associated loss of sync. Many commented that the processor is over-clocked and the case is a poor design. I'll move the NetGear unit to an indoor application where the ambient temperature is closer to 27 C. IMO cycling the modem is useless as it will likely overheat in a matter of minutes anyway.

I mounted a small shelf box on the wall which modem , wifi router , switch , NAS , USB drive and power board sit - I cut a hole in the top and placed a 120mm computer fan sucking out to help cooling.

Behold the Dodgy Brothers Inc "el cheapo" equipment rack - but it works :o

Dodgy_brothers_Rack_1550.jpg

wow, with 24/7 monitoring via webcams (two!)!