Modem Connection

Niloc

I have an IBM Thinkpad T21 which has been an excellent laptop.

When I was using Windows, the laptop made available its internal modem for dialup. Then I moved and went to ADSL which is excellent. I am now moving again to a place where ADSL is not available so I want to use dialup again but Linux does not seem to know about modems etc...

How can I connect or do I have to re-install Windows XP to get on the internet??

Colin

Dialup isn't that good of a connection. Better off getting a cheap Nokia phone that supports EDGE and go with that. As long as the phone is a Symbian 60 series, it will work seemlessly with Linux. Plus, you get to be truely mobile!

I use a N70 when I'm home, but you don't need anything that fancy. The Nokia 6110 seems have gotten good reviews by fellow board members that use it.

Dialup isn't that good of a connection. Better off getting a cheap Nokia phone that supports EDGE and go with that. As long as the phone is a Symbian 60 series, it will work seemlessly with Linux. Plus, you get to be truely mobile!

I use a N70 when I'm home, but you don't need anything that fancy. The Nokia 6110 seems have gotten good reviews by fellow board members that use it.

I thought the Nokia was a mobile? I have no use for a mobile, who am I going to call?? I do not know what EDGE is either, what I want is the software to employ my internal modem, just like Windoze does, just a local call and there it is...

Thanks anyway,

Colin

The internal Thinkpad modem is a "winmodem" which requires software drivers to do most of its work on the CPU. In all my years of using Linux on thinkpads, I've never found it worth the trouble. I used my mobile phone via USB instead.

If there is a way, it is probably documented on Thinkwiki which is a great resource not only for the use of Thinkpads with Linux but Thinkpad hardware maintenance in general. Good luck, and Godspeed. :o

I thought the Nokia was a mobile? I have no use for a mobile, who am I going to call?? I do not know what EDGE is either, what I want is the software to employ my internal modem, just like Windoze does, just a local call and there it is...

Thanks anyway,

Colin

I am suggesting using a mobile. However, you would be using it as a modem. Much the same way that a 'modem' is a phone. The problem you're going to have is that IBM decided that they didn't want to be Linux friendly. And so they used an internal modem that the manufacturer did not write Linux drivers for nor decided that it was in the their interest to release hardware specs for so that drivers could be written.

Edge is a technology that uses a cell phone to get speeds that are approximately 4 times as fast as you would get using dial-up. You don't have to get the faster speed, you can go back to Windows and the constant headaches that go with running it if you prefer. However, you mentioned using Linux. I was simply attempting to give you an option that it had looked like you hadn't explored. If you would rather not pay to get a much faster internet connection, but are content with dialup; reinstall Windows. On the other hand, if you can spare the change to use a cell phone merely for an internet connection (you don't have to use it to call anyone--were you planning on using the landline that your dialup was going over to call anyone?) with Linux, I'll be more than happy to help you.

Thanks Dave, I am now installing Linux 7.04 yet again on the laptop, I think I will go the mobile way, my wife has a Nokia, model 6030 Type RM74. Would this work?

Colin

Unfortunately it will not. But don't feel bad, it wouldn't work with Windows either.

However, any of the following phones will work quite easily with Linux (note that most of the 66** phones support EDGE). Also, there are USB modems that accept a sim card and offer EDGE; however you need to ensure compatability with Linux which it should list on the box. Those can be picked up at Pantip/MBK/etc.

. S60 edition S60 version number

Symbian OS version number

Devices S60, version 0.9 0.9 6.1

S60 1st Edition 1.2 6.1

S60 2nd Edition 2.0 7.0s

S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 1 2.1 7.0s

S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 2 2.6 8.0a

S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 3 2.8 8.1a

S60 3rd Edition 3.0 9.1

S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 3.1 9.2

S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2 3.2 9.3

Thanks again Dave,

Neither of my Linux installation CD worked, 7.04 or 6.1 so I guess I am stuck with the awful Windows XP.

How do I get the mobile phone to work? Assuming I have one of the listed ones, probably the cheapest in the list, I would not use it at home where I have ADSL, only when I am in Chiang Mai (no landline phone or ADSL).

So what do I do, plug in via the USB?

Colin

Thanks again Dave,

Neither of my Linux installation CD worked, 7.04 or 6.1 so I guess I am stuck with the awful Windows XP.

How do I get the mobile phone to work? Assuming I have one of the listed ones, probably the cheapest in the list, I would not use it at home where I have ADSL, only when I am in Chiang Mai (no landline phone or ADSL).

So what do I do, plug in via the USB?

Colin

Yes, if you're going to use Windows, install the Nokia suite on the cd that will come in the box. If you get a used phone, just download the Nokia suite from Nokia's website (in fact that may be the best since the one off the web will be newer) and install it. The one on the cd has AIS/DTAC set up in the suite already, not sure about the download version though. After you have the suite installed, hook your phone to the computer and than there's a tab that will let you connect to the internet.

Well I downloaded the suite from Nokia but when I tried to install it, it died.

I looked at the site again and it says it needs Windows XP SP2, which I do not have...

I will try to pick one up in Chiang Mai next week...

I have been Microshafted!!

Colin

Well I downloaded the suite from Nokia but when I tried to install it, it died.

I looked at the site again and it says it needs Windows XP SP2, which I do not have...

I will try to pick one up in Chiang Mai next week...

I have been Microshafted!!

Colin

I'm confused.....you do have XP right? Even if it's just the original version, you can download the SP2 updates here. There is also SP3 out, but I've read a lot of negative press on it. Of course, your milage may vary, but cavaet emptor and all that stuff if you decide to install SP3.

Luckily I have complained so much a mate in CM has offered me a copy of SP2. I looked at the download but at my local speed it would take weeks!!

I am not even going to try SP3, I wish I still had good old Windows 2000, it worked fine, never a problem....

I will let you know when I get the laptop working...

Colin