Black Mass?

mmushr00m

To the learned members (and opinionated ones too)

On several occasions now I have seen my neighbours across the street do some praying thingy. Not the usual spirit house thingy or the chinese burning offerings thingy either.

Its usually in the evenings and everything is black. They have a black idol, not a regular Buddha image infact it doesnt look alike a Buddha at all. They light black incense with black candles and have black flowers.

It has happened several times now but only in the last couple of months.

Just curious as to the significance. Majick???

Seriously I really want to know and no one will tell me.

The figure is a squat looking thing, also black in colour. It look like one of those Thai face mask thingy. Couldnt get a closer and better look as its at nite and I dont think they would appreciate it if I stood at the alter and took a pic of it.

i remember that when i was with my ex thai boyfriend, at one time of year there were all kinds of concessions to the god 'rahu', who loves black. they wore black, ate black food, etc. not sure of the details but that is probably what it is. hopefully! as i live across from you and would not want voodoo neighbors!

Phra Rahu “the god of darkness” could be the answer.

He’s believed to devour his brothers the sun and moon. There’s been a lunar eclipse recently and this could explain your neighbours offerings.

Cool thanks.

Read up on Rahu and it does make sense, especially the connection with the eclipse.

The question now is did they do it as a result of the recent eclipse or did they have a vedic calender to go by.

Now I know and like GI Joe says....and knowing is half the battle.

Might be something from Indian culture.

Someone I know here has a lot of these various Indian Gods/statues, and they come in all shapes and colors.

As we know, traditionally there are a lot of various Gods coming out of India.

Whatever you need, there are normally some God for this.

But I was wondering isnt it a once off thing? They have been doing the last few nights and I first saw them do it weeks ago.

I have found nothing to say it is solely a one off thing, if they have been having some bad luck recently, they may well be going for the full monty just to make sure it will go away.

I have further books at home, I will check later.

To the learned members (and opinionated ones too)

On several occasions now I have seen my neighbours across the street do some praying thingy. Not the usual spirit house thingy or the chinese burning offerings thingy either.

Its usually in the evenings and everything is black. They have a black idol, not a regular Buddha image infact it doesnt look alike a Buddha at all. They light black incense with black candles and have black flowers.

It has happened several times now but only in the last couple of months.

Just curious as to the significance. Majick???

Seriously I really want to know and no one will tell me.

I showed my wife the posted images and explained what was going on. The family have had some bad lluck and by appeasing this god, the bad luck will go away.

I have further books at home, I will check later.

Can't find anything specific,

I have found nothing to say it is solely a one off thing, if they have been having some bad luck recently,

So I would suggest with the information at hand, that they are having a run of bad luck and they feel that a prolonged and committed service will be the answer to their ills.

I wish them luck.

You haven't got an eclipse of the moon coming up soon have you, if so, batten down the hatches or run for the hills would be my suggestion.

Luckily this is Thailand, could you imagine the PC brigade in the UK for a shrine for ' Black Offerings ' :o

Boater,

There comes a time when flogging a dead horse is just that........................ flogging a dead horse.