What Is Wrong With Pattaya

fred2007

Listen to all your complaints about Pattaya and some positive posts it really makes me wonder

I have been in Thailand for just 1 year ( being here many times before) and I went to Pattaya for the first time a few weeks back and I must say it is a nice place, and yes the beach might be a bit dirty but so is the one in Phuket or any beach you go to. And I am not worried about bars or night clubs.

In my opinion stop picking on Pattaya we have members here, who don't live in LOS and if you don't like Pattaya go to Kings Cross or the Reperbahn or where ever.

Listen to all your complaints about Pattaya and some positive posts it really makes me wonder

I have been in Thailand for just 1 year ( being here many times before) and I went to Pattaya for the first time a few weeks back and I must say it is a nice place, and yes the beach might be a bit dirty but so is the one in Phuket or any beach you go to. And I am not worried about bars or night clubs.

In my opinion stop picking on Pattaya we have members here, who don't live in LOS and if you don't like Pattaya go to Kings Cross or the Reperbahn or where ever.

I go to Pattaya several times a year and lately it has been bashed a lot and not sure why as it hasn't changed that much in the last few years, however your out of your mind if you believe that all beaches are the same

The tawdry and sensational sells papers and generates advertising hits.

You don't need to live it unless you choose to immerse yourself in it.

There are quiet neighborhoods with families and there is nearly every carnal wish you might desire, all a 10 baht ride away.

It has an ocean view outside your door and clean beaches not that far away.

An international airport close at hand and countryside living a short commute.

It has housing, shopping and entertainment options for a wide range of budgets.

Not really such a bad town.

It's what you make of it.

~WISteve

If you are trying to sell real estate, then it is a paradise. If you are in total denial, then it is a paradise.

If you are an educated and practical person, then it is a true hel_l on earth.

The worst of the farangs and the worst of the Thais joining together to make life hel_l. If you can speak and understand Thai, you will hear them speaking about their intentions to make your stay, a stay in hel_l.

They don't want you to be happy....they want you to be miserable. Get it? Don't open your mouth, unless you can speak and understand Thai language. Why? Because you won't truly understand their intentions or Pattaya, unless you can speak the local language.

If you are trying to sell real estate, then it is a paradise. If you are in total denial, then it is a paradise.

The worst of the farangs and the worst of the Thais joining together to make life hel_l. If you can speak and understand Thai, you will hear them speaking about their intentions to make your stay, a stay in hel_l.

They don't want you to be happy....they want you to be miserable. Get it? Don't open your mouth, unless you can speak and understand Thai language. Why? Because you won't truly understand their intentions or Pattaya, unless you can speak the local language.

What a load of CRAP!!! :o

What part of Pattaya do you hang around in?

What a load of CRAP!!! :D

Ignore it Bagwain..............some people have nothing better to do. :o

I just wonder what the "bashers" are doing and where they are doing it. Though I have moved north, I lived in P. almost 2 years with my wife and we enjoyed every day of it. Had a small house on the rayong rd. enjoyed the evenings that were several degress cooler than BKK, access to almost any personal/food item we wanted, wonderful beaches near by, great sea food, pleasant neighbors, and generally a very relaxing life style. Seems to me that you can find a cess pool in most any place if that is what you are looking for. If you don't like Soi 6 you have the right to stay away. Find something postive to do with your time, tap dancing.

What a load of CRAP!!! :o

The part where he can't understand what is going on around him.

Pattaya is rightly called the 'Extreme City'. And most 'outsiders' view of it is a function of that stereotype.

You might be surprised that there a a lot of semi-normal people that live here too, expats with families working in the surrounding industrial zones, happily married retirees, offshore workers and so on. More than our fair share of alcoholics, granted (thats an expat thing), but where I live the sex scene is low key- really more of a tourist thing, you soon tire of it when it's on your doorstep. But hey, why is the fact we've got a huge red light area a problem to a resident? you don't have to go there unless you choose to. And the tourist scene brings it's benefits too.

Maybe it's not for everyone (where is?) but actually it can be a very good place to live.

I live on the 'darkside' about 8-10 km from the centre. Married, not a monger (well usually :D ), and probably cross Sukhumvit about twice a month. Consider-

Sizable farang community- of all shapes, sizes & nationality. You're not short of company.

Supermarkets, bars and restaurants- plenty of choice, and cheap.

Decent (and improving) infrastructure

Easy accesibility to the airport, Bkk, and the beaches & seafood restaurants of southern Chonburi & Rayong

The weather is mainly great- much better than Bkk or Phuket imho. Theres usually a breeze to keep things mild.

Very reasonably priced- Ok it's not Isaan, but us locals wince when we go to Bkk or Phuket.

Loads of activities- golf, sport flying, fishing, lawn bowls, darts & pool leagues, theme parks- you name it. I doubt many places of this size offer the sheer variety of Pattaya.

Unless you foolishly ride a motosai without a helmet, you are never bothered on the roads here- I guess the BIB have more lucrative pursuits. :o I have a place in Ubon too, and this aspect is a real downer of going upcountry. :D

On the 'Thai' side, the multifaceted community means there is food and produce from all over Thailand- my wife reckons the local markets are great, and cheap.

If there is a 'secret' to Pattaya, it is that there is a sizable, quieter community living here that lead basically normal lives- and we benefit from the considerable tourist numbers that come here.

If there is a 'Downside' to Pattaya, ultimately it's of your own making. With the wide availability of the venal pleasures here, I've seen a few people crash and burn. Some flee Upcountry or back home before they kill themselves, others end up a statistic.

Just read the Pattaya News Clippings each day and that'll tell you what's wrong with Pattaya! :o

I don't see what is wrong in after reading Pattaya News Clippings .

Small news and incidents as in every city in the world.

Most cities even have lot of more and most important "incidents"...

I LOVE PATTAYA.

As a SWF and living here for 14 years I can't imagine being anywhere else. Good friends - both Thai and Farang, great lifestyle. What more can you want?

I hope "innovator" gets a life - and NOT in Pattaya.

Well I hope "innovator" gets a life - and NOT in Thailand. What a jerk. :o

Pattaya is whatever you want it to be. People who come on here complaining about the sleaze should try going to Pattaya and not go looking for sleaze. It's like the people who read a review of a raunchy play on television, sit up all night to watch it and then write letters of complaint to the newspapers.

Yes Pattaya has it's faults and could certainly use a bit of a makeover but overall it's a great place to relax or do whatever you fancy, you are certainly spoilt for choice.

If you live anywhere north of soi 18 Naklua especially down by the seaside, you would never know of the sleaze of Pattaya. You would know of moderately priced Thai and Western restaurants, good live music venues, a quiet beach, and low prices on accommodations. Seems like quality of life to me.

Pattaya, you either

A Love it

B Hate it

C Grow out of it

I grew out of it like a few of my amigos, but we all visit from time to time. A long term friend (20+ yrs) used to frequent regularly for naughtiness, he came back last month and was shocked at how downhill the product has gone and he got a ticket to the Philippines.

After his trip he told me the Philippines had changed for the worst too, so it's not just Pattaya.

Pattaya, you either

A Love it

B Hate it

C Grow out of it

I grew out of it like a few of my amigos, but we all visit from time to time. A long term friend (20+ yrs) used to frequent regularly for naughtiness, he came back last month and was shocked at how downhill the product has gone and he got a ticket to the Philippines.

After his trip he told me the Philippines had changed for the worst too, so it's not just Pattaya.

I can tell you exactly when it started to get worse, and it was when toxin's right hand man puritanical destroyed Thailand's ( farang ) nightlife by imposing all sort of restrictions relating to opening hours, shows and ( un ) dress. I was in Pattaya when the Bangkok Police arrived en mass to "crack down" on Fun City. Never been the same since. Enjoyment factor down, petty crime rate up.

Mind you, still better than anything in the great hypocrytical PC west, especially the UK. If you want to see real sleeze, go to Soho, where the clip joint reigns supreme.

weaklings like you mind. grown men care a shÍt :o

weaklings like you mind. grown men care a shÍt :o

Agreed.

And anyway once you understand their intentions, you still don't care or disagree with them, so it doesn't matter. Just enjoy yourself, pay-as-you-go.

Edited by JSixpack

Pattaya is rightly called the 'Extreme City'. And most 'outsiders' view of it is a function of that stereotype.

You might be surprised that there a a lot of semi-normal people that live here too, expats with families working in the surrounding industrial zones, happily married retirees, offshore workers and so on. More than our fair share of alcoholics, granted (thats an expat thing), but where I live the sex scene is low key- really more of a tourist thing, you soon tire of it when it's on your doorstep. But hey, why is the fact we've got a huge red light area a problem to a resident? you don't have to go there unless you choose to. And the tourist scene brings it's benefits too.

Maybe it's not for everyone (where is?) but actually it can be a very good place to live.

I live on the 'darkside' about 8-10 km from the centre. Married, not a monger (well usually :D ), and probably cross Sukhumvit about twice a month. Consider-

Sizable farang community- of all shapes, sizes & nationality. You're not short of company.

Easy accesibility to the airport, Bkk, and the beaches & seafood restaurants of southern Chonburi & Rayong

The weather is mainly great- much better than Bkk or Phuket imho. Theres usually a breeze to keep things mild.

Very reasonably priced- Ok it's not Isaan, but us locals wince when we go to Bkk or Phuket.

Loads of activities- golf, sport flying, fishing, lawn bowls, darts & pool leagues, theme parks- you name it. I doubt many places of this size offer the sheer variety of Pattaya.

Unless you foolishly ride a motosai without a helmet, you are never bothered on the roads here- I guess the BIB have more lucrative pursuits. :o I have a place in Ubon too, and this aspect is a real downer of going upcountry. :D

On the 'Thai' side, the multifaceted community means there is food and produce from all over Thailand- my wife reckons the local markets are great, and cheap.

If there is a 'secret' to Pattaya, it is that there is a sizable, quieter community living here that lead basically normal lives- and we benefit from the considerable tourist numbers that come here.

If there is a 'Downside' to Pattaya, ultimately it's of your own making. With the wide availability of the venal pleasures here, I've seen a few people crash and burn. Some flee Upcountry or back home before they kill themselves, others end up a statistic.

My Goodness! a positive, truthfull post about - Pattaya, well done Sabang, add a lot of us are quite happy to own houses with "Illegal" companies that will bring out the negative element! Thanks, I was beginning to forget why I lived in Pattaya.

Cheers :D

If there is a 'Downside' to Pattaya, ultimately it's of your own making. With the wide availability of the venal pleasures here, I've seen a few people crash and burn.

Probably the best post I have read on the never ending debate about the good and bad of Pattaya. People who have lived and worked in the area have a far better understanding than the man from Bangkok or Manchester who visited once for a weekend.