Post Office Problems

KohKarrang

I send small packages mostly to the UK and US and just recently I've had so many going missing that I'm starting to think that someone is snatching them before they've even left the country!

I've thought about using another service but I can't find anything that offers similar prices to the Thai Post Office, can anybody suggest another service?

My packages have a maximum value of about £20 so I think all of the courier services would be out of my price range, are there any alternatives to the post office??

Thanks in advane for your suggestions

Guess I am lucky never had a problem with the Thai Postal service. You might try DHL for home to home service. May cost a little more but; "you get what you pay for". By all mean use Western Union if you need to send money. Most people are honest, no need to temp the bad apples. :o

Edited by BigSnake

Use the registered mail option. I have been sending hundreds of small parcels to the US for the past 8 years via registered airmail and in that time maybe one has gone missing, and most likely got lost on the US side.

I agree the fee is usually 55 baht and well worth it.

Use the registered mail option. I have been sending hundreds of small parcels to the US for the past 8 years via registered airmail and in that time maybe one has gone missing, and most likely got lost on the US side.

Even registered mail gets "lost" and very often even. Happened to me many times.

I used to use registered post from Chiang Mai to States and UK but I find fewer letters go missing if I send ordinary post. Maybe somewhere in the chain someone thinks registered could contain money. I've returned to the post office with receipt to enquire when an item is lost and I'm just met with one of those stupid grins and an explanation that "extra security now in farang country" I guess that means "we don't know, we're not going to try to know so could you let me serve the next person"

I now try to negotiate with customers to accept scanned documents rather than originals. many will which means fewer visits to the post office. I guess eventually post offices will just disappear.

I used to use registered post from Chiang Mai to States and UK but I find fewer letters go missing if I send ordinary post. Maybe somewhere in the chain someone thinks registered could contain money. I've returned to the post office with receipt to enquire when an item is lost and I'm just met with one of those stupid grins and an explanation that "extra security now in farang country" I guess that means "we don't know, we're not going to try to know so could you let me serve the next person"

I now try to negotiate with customers to accept scanned documents rather than originals. many will which means fewer visits to the post office. I guess eventually post offices will just disappear.

Sounds like something strange in your post office. I have also sent 100s of packages never one lost anywhere. The one time that one was quite late they traced it to the actual flight it took to New York and let me know that if if did not show up registered mail has a set amount of compensation automatically. So if you claimed the compensation sooner or later things will improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the B55 service trackable all the way to the destination country UK or USA for example? I was under the impression that it was only trackable in Thailand.

If it is trackable to other countries then I'll try it...

Is the B55 service trackable all the way to the destination country UK or USA for example? I was under the impression that it was only trackable in Thailand.

If it is trackable to other countries then I'll try it...

There is no tracking at all.

With that said if you ask nicely at the post office they can trace it to the destination country, and in the US it is easy to see delivery and attempts online.

also sorry to piggy back.. but does anyone know the procedure to retrieve registered mail... it was apparently brought to my apartment but the receptionist did not sign for it and it has gone back with the post man... of course I can try the local post office but wondered if anyone has gone through this already...

I send small packages mostly to the UK and US and just recently I've had so many going missing that I'm starting to think that someone is snatching them before they've even left the country!

I've thought about using another service but I can't find anything that offers similar prices to the Thai Post Office, can anybody suggest another service?

My packages have a maximum value of about £20 so I think all of the courier services would be out of my price range, are there any alternatives to the post office??

I've had packages missing in the Thailand mail system.

Your dilemma is similar to mine: the value of my goods are not high enough for me to want to pay for courier or FedEx or DHL.

Therefore, I only mail things when I absolutely have to, and this is very rare.

If you're in Bangkok or near, the best and fasted and securest way is to send directly via the Post Office at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Mail or parcels delivered/send via that Post Office going directly to the plane and the destination Country.

Just an example: if I send via the Main Head Office at New Road, a parcel to Germany need 2 weeks; from the Post Office at Samut Prakarn oit's 3+ weeks; from Suvarnabhumi it's 4 days!

The Post Office at Suvarnabhumi is located at the Departure Area, if you faced to the Gate exit, on the outer right side on the ack.

Cheers.

I too have had your problem. But in Hua Hin. Out of 9 packages over a 6 month period, only two arrived. Contents only contained items less that 500B and in some cases less than 200B. Sent 1st class, cost more than the contents. I logged complaints with the post office, got the usual "smile" and lack of interest. I wrote two letters to the newspapers in "opinions" never got printed. They didn't want to print it because they didn't want to embarrass Officials.

Since then I only send "EMS". Still costs more than the contents but it gets there.

Also take note, per the Officials at the Post Office, the "Nation" if I recall correctly printed a story about this over a year ago, stating it was not safe to ship with standard mail. To use EMS and keep receipts. I wish I had the article, I'd post it!

I too have had your problem. But in Hua Hin. Out of 9 packages over a 6 month period, only two arrived. Contents only contained items less that 500B and in some cases less than 200B. Sent 1st class, cost more than the contents. I logged complaints with the post office, got the usual "smile" and lack of interest. I wrote two letters to the newspapers in "opinions" never got printed. They didn't want to print it because they didn't want to embarrass Officials.

Since then I only send "EMS". Still costs more than the contents but it gets there.

Also take note, per the Officials at the Post Office, the "Nation" if I recall correctly printed a story about this over a year ago, stating it was not safe to ship with standard mail. To use EMS and keep receipts. I wish I had the article, I'd post it!

Registered mail sent small packet rate (up to 2 kilos) is a very reasonable price and with the 55 baht registered mail fee it will be very safe and if lost you can file a claim and will receive around 8oo baht or so - I am not sure because I have never had a package go missing and send hundreds monthly.

Registered mail sent small packet rate (up to 2 kilos) is a very reasonable price and with the 55 baht registered mail fee it will be very safe and if lost you can file a claim and will receive around 8oo baht or so - I am not sure because I have never had a package go missing and send hundreds monthly.

Just for to give you an idea how much is to send by air to Europe:

300 grams send by EMS or Registered to Germany: THB 1,237.00

same send a normal Mail to same place: THB 87.00

And all I send just as normal Mail via Airport Post Office never loose any of them!

Cheers.

And all I send just as normal Mail via Airport Post Office never loose any of them!

Cheers.

Reimar,

Registered small package airmail of 300 grams to Germany should be less than 300 baht and then you are very safe - although you seem to have very lucky so far - smiling!

Cheers.

Reimar,

Registered small package airmail of 300 grams to Germany should be less than 300 baht and then you are very safe - although you seem to have very lucky so far - smiling!

Lucky? Over the 15+ years I send my Mail's/Parcels via Airport to overseas countries only, first from Don Mueang and last from Suvarnabhumi and never had any problems! And the cost I posted is for EMS Mail which is registered as well but more easy to track if needed! But I stopped to send via Registered or EMS some times ago because the receiving in the destination was at the same timing and I never had loose anything!

Ok, it's just my own experiences but why the one from others should be different?

Cheers.

Even registered mail gets "lost" and very often even. Happened to me many times.

I agree, almost everything I send or have sent to me goes missing, incl. registered post, but not courier. I always send from Silom Main office so will try another office in future. I once sent a SIM card to the UK to see where it would end up - it went missing but when I called it it was not in service so I really don't know where it went.

I agree, almost everything I send or have sent to me goes missing, incl. registered post, but not courier. I always send from Silom Main office so will try another office in future. I once sent a SIM card to the UK to see where it would end up - it went missing but when I called it it was not in service so I really don't know where it went.

Have you filed claims for the missing registered mail and how much did they pay you?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get a friend put all of my mail in one large envelope and send it to me.

If it did arrive it was usually opened and poorly resealed, certainly not officially.

It had been rummaged and found to be of no value.

I have received no mail from the uk for the last 3 years.

Nothing that I have sent to the uk has ever been received in the last 3 years.

A Thai friend tells me that it all get stolen at the airport in Bangkok.

I use email if possible.

Mail is usually financial but of no value to a thief.

Things like bank statements and credit cards,

which need a telephone call and some security questions, before they can be used.

I hear that DHL are now refusing to carry credit and debit cards to Thailand.

I ask a friend coming from the uk to carry them for me.

I did receive a birthday card from Holland from a Thai lady.

I presumed that it was not stolen because the address was written in Thai.

I have a jpg file (photo) of my address in Thailand, written in Thai.

I have emailed this as an attachment to someone in my house.

I have asked them to send me a debit card using the Thai address written on Thai

and at the cheapest slowest mail (seamail.)

I am awaiting the arrival.

Very strange is all I can say.

Some of have had near perfect experience with the Thai post and others the opposite.

I am still wondering why this is.

If someone is using registered mail it comes with a small amount of protection - not insurance but like it - so i am still hoping that we will hear back from those who lost registered mail when they filed a claim.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent an important registered letter to the US before I left for Laos at the end of September. I just got back and called the party to see if they received it.

They got it. I have sent other letters in the last 2 years and all were received within 2 weeks or less. :o