4 Wd Systems - Vigo/fortuner/trton/g-wagon

kedawi

My Thai failed me the other day...i was trying to get an answer to "what is All-time 4wd" as on the back of a Fortuner.

THe type of 4WD on these vehicles will be the deciding factor in which one I buy....if any.

Can anyone tell me if any of these vehicles have any of the following.....

Locking Diff front/rea

Limited Slip Diff

Permanent 4WD

power distribution system

Adjustable/leveling suspension and shocks

Freewheeling hubs

Hi/Lo Ratios

Anyione had personal experience of these in 4WD?

Edited by kedawi

I can go with a few.

The Fortuner has full-time 4WD sometimes called 'all wheel drive' or 'permanent 4WD'. This means that all wheels are driven at all times, there is no 2WD/4WD lever. There is a centre diff. in the transfer box that takes care of 'wind-up' problems, you can lock this diff. for off-road use. I believe it has a limited-slip on the back.

The Vigo and Triton have part time 4WD, spending most of their time in 2WD (both have automatic freewheel front hubs). You should not use 4WD on dry roads, without a centre diff. you can wreck the transfer box. Both have a low-ratio transfer box, so you have a lever/switch 2H, 4H, 4L. I'm not sure but I think they both have limited-slip on the back.

None of the above have lockers as standard.

I believe the G-Wagon has a similar system to the Fortuner.

Edited by Crossy

the triton has 2 hybrid lsd's, front and rear, (4wheel drive) mod,

all the pickups in thailand are part time 4wd, otherwise dominatly u will run on the rear wheels, untill u engage the 4Low or 4High.

the Triton torque converter also applies torque to the wheel that needs it most (in 4x4 mode), though in rearwheel u can defentially go drifting haha.

u would want to stick with a perment 4wd if u want stability through out the whole rpm, speed range. whilest the triton 4x4 (4High can reach up to 100km/hr, then on the fly-while driving u can shift it to rear wheel for 100-200 haha)

fortuner would be a choice for 4x4 fulltime, or even MU-7

though for parttime allwheel drive, (thus when u only need it, wettttttt conditions offroad etc) the Vigo, Triton, and the Chev all look appealing. though its proven that the Triton chassis and lsd combanation is superior to the other competeing trucks, i think that also justifies the near 100k higher price then the following competitor.

4x4 full option a year back costed like 906,000. compared to the low 800,000 others....

Is there a way to get a definitive answer on this? The dealer told me the vigo has limited slip. I asked because I didn't see it in the specs and now people here are indicating otherwise. Might it depend on which setup like 2wd vs 4wd?